• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Take Over plays during a pre-emptive attack while Last Surprise plays during normal battle. Take Over already sounds great, can't wait to hear the whole thing. Was kinda getting tired of Last Surprise, tbh. Also the new Baton Pass effects look nice.

The original post from the official Persona Twitter page

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Into my veins! Aghh just when the chorus was about to start it cuts off!

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
My brain read "Persona Battle Royal" and made me do a double take.

Violet1370

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Not a fan of Last Surprise being moved to normal battle since 95% of the time i'm able to pre-emptive attack...... Take Over sounds good though.

I wish you could just randomize battle themes like PQ2, hope P6 has that feature.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's terrible compared to Last Surprise. Lyrics just don't sound good at all in comparison(mumbled, low energy, bleh lyrics themselves).

Not sure why they decided to make this the Pre-empt music and the old theme the regular since players should never go into a fight normally anyway(and P4G already did the "new battle track for regular fights only") thing.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I prefer Last Surprise based on what we've heard, so it's a shame that this'll likely be the track playing more often than not.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
hot take: meguro isn't as good as he used to be
ive been feeling this for a while
everything just sounds too clean now coming from him

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
hot take: meguro isn't as good as he used to be
ive been feeling this for a while
everything just sounds too clean now coming from him

Judging by the general reaction to 5's soundtrack I think think it's obviously just not to your taste, I personally thought it was an improvement over 4 in that department

I've said since the game came out that the daytime town/school tunes are it's biggest weakness and I hope that's addressed in Royal

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like this song a lot. Funny that it only plays during preemptive attacks, when "Last Surprise" feels like a song which would fit that more thematically.

Then again, Take Over suits that too with its lyrics.

Last edited:

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I like the song, but it doesnt have the ..."energy" for a battle song I think? Despite not being a huge fan of last surprise, I thought that had a better feel.

Of course this opinion is limited to 30 seconds of exposure one time, so that'll probably change when the game actually releases and I play it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You would think that Last Surprise would play when initiating a suprise attack... lol

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
This sounds like the "Time to Make History" to "Reach Out to the Truth." Not as good as the OG but still very, very good.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Seems like they did the opposite of Persona 4: Golden

In Golden, they made Reach out to the Truth (the original battle theme) into the surprise attack theme while making Time to Make History into the normal battle theme

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know right? They got it the other way round.

Honestly for me I generally don't like lyrics for battle music all that much. I don't know, felt like lyrics take away too much tension from encounters.
Yeah, same. P4G was similar, and the main battle theme played when going to batle through a surprise attack, which would "reward" you with the better music. It should have been the same here. But now, every time the player will do a surprise attack, there will be a slight feeling of disappointment that comes with it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. I'm not liking it.

Last Surprise should've kept being the battle theme for a pre-emptive strike. It's got a much more catchy opening hook. This just sounds like a B-side cut.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm never listening to Last Surprise ever again. But honestly I always go for the DLC music. I love the Persona 1 music, even if it's stupid gibberish.

I hope they have Shin Megami Tensei 4 Apocalypse music as DLC.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad they did it this way, Time to Make History only played during normal battles in Golden but since why wouldn't you always go for preempted battles, meant you would only hear Reach Out To The Truth (which was fine cuz it's the best).

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Meh. It doesn't have an early peak like in Last Surprise when the singer sings "You'll never see it coming!". That makes Last Surprise so, so much better because getting an all-out attack when that line kicks in is euphoric.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the new theme is for preemptive attacks and not the reverse like in Golden.

I almost never heard Time to make History in P4 Golden because I very rarely started battles without a preemptive strike.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good to me. Was never a huge fan of Last Surprise, but I like how this one starts at least.