• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Atlus West has very little power in terms of what it is allowed to say. Unless they can get some sort of clearance from Atlus JP to issue an apology, chances are we won't see any response from them at all.
I mean they just said that bit about Persona 5 on Switch. You'd think speaking up against and disassociating with RelaxAlax would be their choice to make and you know, ASAP.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I mean they just said that bit about Persona 5 on Switch. You'd think speaking up against and disassociating with RelaxAlax would be their choice to make and you know, ASAP.
I'm just telling you how this has gone in the past. While an apology would be appropriate and ideal, I don't think it will happen, if only because Atlus West is thoroughly gagged by Atlus JP.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Man, fuck atlus. Sega come get your boy and stop with this garbage.

atlus usa is sega of america. sega of america, the original san francisco branch, shut down and atlus usa was the only remaining branch at that time. the sonic group relocated to burbank while atlus usa was rebranded as sega of america.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just telling you how this has gone in the past. While an apology would be appropriate and ideal, I don't think it will happen, if only because Atlus West is thoroughly gagged by Atlus JP.
Hmm, hope they get this sorted soon. I mean you have the team go out of their way to fix the homophobic stuff, so this is very out of place to say the least so I have faith they will fix it... if they're allowed to.

Mesoian

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing you just peaked at the boss design on youtube and considered the whole thing a joke eh?
because the game doesn't treat it as a joke.

I mean, let's not get crazy here.

The game spends about 5 hours going on about how sexual deviancy and forcing yourself on others is really bad and a shitty thing to do, using some really heart wrenching imagery and themes to really express how much it can mentally ruin someone.

And then 10 minutes later, they abandon that entire theme to have so mad capped antics about teenage boys throwing their teenage girl friend under the bus by letting some creepy art kid paint her nude even though she's not about it. ITS A JOOOOOKE!

That game treats it's themes seriously until it doesn't, just like every other persona game. It's why persona games have nothing to say. I like Persona 3, 4 and 5 a lot, but those games approach the themes they want to talk about and run from them like cowards, every, single, time.

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I mean, let's not get crazy here.

The game spends about 5 hours going on about how sexual deviancy and forcing yourself on others is really bad and a shitty thing to do, using some really heart wrenching imagery and themes to really express how much it can mentally ruin someone.

And then 10 minutes later, they abandon that entire theme to have so mad capped antics about teenage boys throwing their teenage girl friend under the bus by letting some creepy art kid paint her nude even though she's not about it. ITS A JOOOOOKE!

We're talking specifically about the Kamoshida arc. Everything after that I'll give you 100000%, but not the Kamoshida arc.

Mesoian

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
We're talking specifically about the Kamoshida arc. Everything after that I'll give you 100000%, but not the Kamoshida arc.

Does it really matter when you spend a huge amount of time (the entire kamoshida arc) saying one thing and then THE MOMENT it's over, you say "naw just kidding, that shit's hilarious"?

Because I don't think it does. He's right, Persona games take their themes seriously until they abandon them on the side of the road for gags.

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Does it really matter when you spend a huge amount of time (the entire kamoshida arc) saying one thing and then THE MOMENT it's over, you say "naw just kidding, that shit's hilarious"?

Because I don't think it does. He's right, Persona games take their themes seriously until they abandon them on the side of the road for gags.

However you think the game handles its themes and tone after the Kamoshida arc is on you, but the actual Kamoshida arc isn't treated like a joke no matter how many times you try to walk around it.

Mesoian

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
However you think the game handles its themes and tone after the Kamoshida arc is on you, but the actual Kamoshida arc isn't treated like a joke no matter how many times you try to walk around it.

That's...disingenuous as hell.

"The rest of the game doesn't matter, because this arc lives in a vacuum". What?

I don't know what to say that, it literally doesn't make sense. "The first act of the play that props up the idea of fighting back mental and sexual manipulation is great, and you should leave the theater after that because....woof".

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I don't get the point of this thread. By inviting him Atlus neither supports his actions nor his opinions.
They saw someone making videos on one of their franchises with half a million subscribers and flew them in.
Even if they did a background check, I don't see how his past personal life has anything to do with playtesting video games.
Dude His past affects the PR and public perception alone so anyone with a decent mind would see this as a PR nightmare ignoring how gross the dude is.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If none of us that attended the preview event knew his past, there's a strong possibility that PR didn't either.
Then they aren't doing their jobs.
Refer to this post.
As someone who works in marketing and has done this kind of work before: Atlus USA would have still gotten the list of attendees or invitees at some point for them to vet/make last minute changes to. This means it is still completely Atlus' fault.

I've had to google a whole bunch of people that companies have suggested we invite before and every one of them was vetted both internally and externally to prevent stuff like this from happening.

Atlus USA was careless, and whether they outsourced it or not, did a really poor job both on the optics front and on the actual follow through part of what they have been saying lately.

It's gross because I largely love Atlus games, but they need to stop punching themselves in the face unprovoked.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
If none of us that attended the preview event knew his past, there's a strong possibility that PR didn't either.
i hope its incompetence but it could not be that hard to vet people through searching google for this info as searching keyword i was able to dig this up rather quickly less than 10 minutes.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing you just peaked at the boss design on youtube and considered the whole thing a joke eh?
because the game doesn't treat it as a joke.
Lore reasoning doesn't make shitty treatment of female characters any better. There was no need to do what they did in the boss fight, let alone the crap that comes afterwards. Persona 5 is pretty horrible in its treatment of sexual assault victims. But hey, don't let reality come in the way of enjoying your crappy sacred cow animu games.