• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Super impressive debut. Congrats to the developers.

Sep 28, 2022
The gameplay seems great for those looking a non-fast paced game. Had a friend who loved it and I could see the reason why. But man, I was looking forward to play it because I'd thought it would be a Russian Wolfenstein. Got in, and once I realized the combat was not paced as fast as Wolfenstein, just dropped it. Also, too horny for me. Wake me when Wolfenstein 3 releases :(

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Writing was a bit wild but the game was good fun. Lots of room for improvement, especially the platforming but I'm looking forward to the sequel. Time to finish those Testing Grounds.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
When they first announced it 5 years ago I assumed it would never release, so kudos to them. Game pass was a great idea for this game. I played it and beat it at launch on game pass but never would have paid $79.99 CAD. Aside from most of the achievements being broken, I enjoyed it!

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I really enjoyed the game.

For a debut title, it's pretty great, amazing visuals, shooting and art direction.

The story is kinda forgettable

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Played it until the upgrade vending machine wanted to have sex with me, then I lost all interest. That's good for a debut though!

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Congratulations, the only reason i didn't buy this game on release, was because of Octopath 2, but, i intend to play it eventually.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
Not to yuck anyone's yum, but...

Can we stop beating our chests about how many people turned on a game? I've "played" a lot of games on Game Pass and bounced immediately off. The stat seems to be reaching MAU-levels of irrelevance when it's no indication of a game's actual quality or player enjoyment. (Not saying some didn't enjoy it).

Just seeming to be a weird trend of "X million people booted our game one time".

xpownz

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Feb 13, 2020
User Permanently Threadbanned: Low-effort drive-by trolling
Boring game with terrible voice acting but congrats I guess?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So, less than 17% of gamepass subscribers tried it.

There's not much we can say about this type of data without knowing the sales/subscriber split. I'd imagine they'd be hoping for several million units sold for a game of this budget to be successful. It's very difficult for us to speculate on the outside but I have to imagine they'd be hoping for larger numbers than this.

We've seen that the social justice angle does not seem likely to severely impact the commercial success in high quality games (wizard game). In this games case I must imagine the middling reviews hurt its momentum quite a bit. I use the word momentum because I think there was a lot of attention on this game (both good and bad) pre-release.

Last edited:

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game was fun until the open world. It's open world design is head scratching and just annoying. Dropped it quickly after that.

Oct 27, 2017
Game should have been raked across the coals and embarrassed over the net for it's cringe worthy and terribly bad dialogue on the same level that Forspoken was. But a lot of these armchair scribes and writers were willing to look pass that for some reason.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Game should have been raked across the coals and embarrassed over the net for it's cringe worthy and terribly bad dialogue on the same level that Forspoken was. But a lot of these armchair scribes and writers were willing to look pass that for some reason.
This I'll agree with 100%. You didn't hear the same level of criticism about the writing here as Forspoken.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
So, less than 17% of gamepass subscribers tried it.

There's not much we can say about this type of data without knowing the sales/subscriber split. I'd imagine they'd be hoping for several million units sold for a game of this budget to be successful. It's very difficult for us to speculate on the outside but I have to imagine they'd be hoping for larger numbers than this.

We've seen that the social justice angle does not seem likely to severely impact the commercial success in high quality games (wizard game). In this games case I must imagine the middling reviews harmed hurt its momentum quite a bit. I use the word momentum because I think there was a lot of attention on this game (both good and bad) pre-release.
How you gonna try and put a negative spin on a game from a newer studio putting out a new IP hitting 5 million players in 3 weeks?

Jeez.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Does this take into account anyone who tried the game and was turned off by the terrible misogynistic writing and bounced off pretty quick? I would like my time back -_-

the reason continues to elude us

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
How you gonna try and put a negative spin on a game from a newer studio putting out a new IP hitting 5 million players in 3 weeks?

Jeez.

That's the reality of triple A game development. Outriders reached 3.5m players on day one, and four months later they had not even broke even. One can presume it's likely they surpassed 5 million players by that point too.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017

I feel that the visual style carried the game for a lot of journalists. And it's not like the cringe-factor was ignored. I've seen a lot more cringy clips from AH than I've seen from Forspoken at release.

I think leading up to the Forspoken release, the marketing team dropped some balls and released videos that were absolutely terrible. AH team avoided that and it only came up at release. The thing is, Forspoken had so many "meh" things about it when it released that basically overshadowed the cringy videos they put up before. Which in the and ingame wasn't even that much of a problem IMO.

I feel like the writing is worse in AH, judging from these clips, and I still think I would play it earlier than Forspoken. The DF video, the open-world, the activities. These are the things that are a huge turnoff for me in Forspoken.

The retrofuturistic soviet world is also a lot more interesting than anything Forspoken has to offer, but that's purely subjective. It's a shame they failed to capitalize on that.

Overall, I'm not surprised that it's popular. Cool looking game gonna sell.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I don't know about other websites - I didn't buy Atomic Heart or follow its reception elsewhere - but I remember checking the OT a few times for impressions, and each time there were several new posts from people complaining about the quality of the dialogue and voice acting. It certainly didn't get a free pass here.

Oct 25, 2017
The x million players always feels so nebulous. I assume it's good because they are announcing it, you can only really compare them to other games that launched on a sub service.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I saw videos of it (review vids) and actually looks interesting - I plan to buy it in the future.

Anything like Bioshock I'll take.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I feel that the visual style carried the game for a lot of journalists. And it's not like the cringe-factor was ignored. I've seen a lot more cringy clips from AH than I've seen from Forspoken at release.

I think leading up to the Forspoken release, the marketing team dropped some balls and released videos that were absolutely terrible. AH team avoided that and it only came up at release. The thing is, Forspoken had so many "meh" things about it when it released that basically overshadowed the cringy videos they put up before. Which in the and ingame wasn't even that much of a problem IMO.

I feel like the writing is worse in AH, judging from these clips, and I still think I would play it earlier than Forspoken. The DF video, the open-world, the activities. These are the things that are a huge turnoff for me in Forspoken.

The retrofuturistic soviet world is also a lot more interesting than anything Forspoken has to offer, but that's purely subjective. It's a shame they failed to capitalize on that.

Overall, I'm not surprised that it's popular. Cool looking game gonna sell.

A lot of outlets also chose not to review it which is understandable given the ethical concerns surrounding the game. It might be that, people who were more likely to be critically reflective on those narrative elements, opted out of offering their opinion on the game altogether. Ultimately reviews are just a sample that is suspect to sampling bias.

Most triple A style games get around 200 published reviews on opencritic. Deathloop and Elden Ring for instance, have around 200 reviews. But Atomic Heart has 120.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
That's the reality of triple A game development.

Good thing this is not an AAA title by any means. People should stop equating good graphics to high budget.

Atomic Heart is an AA production by an unknown studio and published by Focus Home and they don't make nor publish AAA games, never done and never will.

Last edited:

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Not to yuck anyone's yum, but...

Can we stop beating our chests about how many people turned on a game? I've "played" a lot of games on Game Pass and bounced immediately off. The stat seems to be reaching MAU-levels of irrelevance when it's no indication of a game's actual quality or player enjoyment. (Not saying some didn't enjoy it).

Just seeming to be a weird trend of "X million people booted our game one time".

I feel this. It doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely a mixed bag IMO.

This game has no business being a open world game.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I tried to play it, but the voice acting and dialogue made me want to jam drumsticks in my ear canals very quickly. Might try it again at some point.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Good thing this is not an AAA title by any means. People should stop equating good graphics to high budget.

Atomic Heart is an AA production by an unknown studio and published by Focus Home and they don't make nor publish AAA games, never done and never will.

Good thing AAA isn't a real thing then. It's not an AAA game, or an AA game, these are made up. I just mean to express that it's an expensive game to develop, publish and market, which it is.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Forspoken fans complain about the the dialgoue complainers more than the complainers complained at this point.

This game's dialgue was constantly shit on by users and critics. Focus Home never marketed the game featuring its dialogue like SE did. Blame Square for their shitty marketing.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I'm always happy to hear new IP's doing well. So happy to see this.

I finished the game, and even though it had a lot of flaws, I think the concept was great and the combat was a lot of fun too.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This game is lower mid budget euro jank

It's definitely cheaper than many of the types of games that the massive studios produce, like Ubisoft and Sony's studios. But they're a larger team, and it was likely a much more expensive game than the likes of things like Returnal (which is also considered triple A).

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

Because the bad dialogue in Forspoken was a euphemism for something else and I'll leave it at that.