• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muji

Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Banning discussions is not the way forward for multiple reasons. Instead provide threadmarks for why games are problematic. We'd hardly have any games left to discuss.

I was being sarcastic, but I very much agree with you. I don't think banning discussions about the game is the way to go and at the same time meta-discussions should also NOT be banned. It's a legitimate discussion to be had when developers of a game is problematic. Every thread about the thread should have threadmarks.

Al-Dylan

Nov 16, 2022
I thought that invoking the ol "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" chestnut to attempt to justify never taking action, escape guilt, judgment, responsibility and to encourage inaction was a bad look. But now people are using this whataboutism as a gotcha to actively attack anyone who opts to stand in solidarity with people against an injustice, attempting to paint that as being unreasonable. That's some ugly shit.

Like, if you want to buy the game, go ahead and buy it. You don't have to try to convince a bunch of strangers on the internet to pat you on the back for your brave decision to abscond with morality and personal responsibility. You only need to convince yourself. You can do those mental gymnastics in private. No one wants to see that.

"No ethical consumption" is true in the sense that it is unreasonable to expect any one person to be aware of, much less take on everything everywhere all at once all the time. But what's perhaps equally unreasonable, is wielding it as a weapon against anyone who does decide to take on something. Don't shit on people trying to improve society somewhat. Instead, go with what you disingenuously claim to believe in more strongly than opposing terrorism, genocide, war crimes, rape, murder, and don't support those Call of Dutys or "any other game."

That's from ages ago by the way. EA stopped paying for gun licenses a decade ago.
www.theverge.com

EA will no longer pay gun makers for the right to depict weapons in games

Company distances itself from assault weapons makers, but plans to continue featuring guns without a license

Googling some more, other publishers followed suit.
I can say the same. If you don't want to buy the game, go ahead and boycott it. You don't have to try to convince a bunch of strangers on the internet to pat you on the back for your brave decision to not buy a game. You only need to convince yourself. You can do those mental gymnastics in private. No one wants to see that.

What baffles me is seeing so many people asking for the ban of discussions about games like this. I can understand the boycott, especially for ukrainians. What I can't understand is trying to act like the game doesn't exist, wanting to even ban the mention of it.

It's also kind of hurtful as an arab seeing this kind of response is only used against Russia (and not even against Russia for how they helped destroy Syria, only for what they are doing in Ukraine) and nothing is said against the US for how they financed terrorists, invaded and completely destroyed our countries for decades, or Israel and it's apartheid regime against palestinians, or Saudi Arabia for what they've done not only in Yemen, but in the whole region by funding wahabist groups.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
User Banned (5 Days): Breaking site-wide staff post regarding advocation for banning content
Why does discussion about this game always delve into same discussion. Why not this discussion happens for American, British Indian and Chinese studios. They have involvement in killing innocents for a long time.

What about just banning Microsoft altogether then they have one of the biggest office in Israel

Because like i said before its about consistency. You cant ban some games and others are okay. Its like saying we dont agree with terfs and homphobes and bigots and racists and anyone who makes that kind of media is banned here, but we do provide promotion and a space for a company who have indirect support from a tyrannical goverment and profits go to said goverment killing inoccent people and whos game promotes restoration of the soviet union.

So say discussion is allowed for every game but with a warning or make a seperate section in this forum for those discussion or just ban it straight out.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Yes and Gazprom is not an investor in this game. GEM Capital, owned by a former Gazprom executive, is. They also invested in the Pathfinder franchise. You can have legitimate concerns about them and their ties to the Russian government.

But it's getting frustrating to see so many wild claims circulating while most of them are based upon half-truths and assumptions.

Then I stand corrected. My bad.

Doesn't take away that everything surrounding this game is shady and should be investigated more.

I was definitely interested in the title the more I saw of it, until I learned more and more about it. This is why we need good investigative journalism, to hold people to account and make things better.

Apr 20, 2021
I think maybe this will get me banned but please hear me out:
I see lot of people calling to boycott this game as it is somehow linked to the Russian state or war (a barbarian war btw that is killing innocents and especially destroying the future of millions of kids and putting the whole region in a very bad shape for decades)
BUT:
Why we I don't (and did not) see people calling to boycott games and movies linked to the US military (or that US military will collect royalties from them) the army that destroyed countries, killed thousands and led to the death of more. multiple countries including mine were harmed by the action of the US and Nato militaries and their governments. You don't see lot of people calling china out or the games coming from China that are usually has the CCP hands somewhere. Same goes for Israel who for multiple times killed innocent people still stealing lands and oppressing them.

This is not a whataboutism (I am not Russian and I don't sympathise with their barbaric actions in Ukraine).

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Why does discussion about this game always delve into same discussion. Why not this discussion happens for American, British Indian and Chinese studios. They have involvement in killing innocents for a long time.

What about just banning Microsoft altogether then they have one of the biggest office in Israel
no first party (or third) has clean hands

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that video already debunked by someone in the other thread:

Ugh.

Let me preface my post by:
1. Mentioning that I am Russian. Feel like it's important to disclose. You may disregard the contents of this post based on me being Russian, if you want. That's your right, of course.
2. Mention that the author of this video, being a Ukrainian, has legitimate reason to wish a Russian-made product to fail.
3. Atomic Heart is a Russian-made game. Thus, even without mentioning the investors, some of your money will go to the Russian government, simply because the profits will be taxed, developers' salaries are taxed, etc.
4. In no way I am supporting current Russian government or Soviet Union. If I could change things, believe me, I would.
5. I am sort of indifferent towards the game. Like, the setting looks interesting, but I don't trust a Russian-made game to actually be a high quality product...

With that out of the way, the arguments in the video linked above are kinda... weak.
  • What's the issue with the studio not mentioning that they are Russian anymore? Why would they advertise themselves as a Russian studio?
  • Yes, they can't publicly comment on the war, unless they plan to move all their staff out of Russia.
  • They never said that their game is «apolitical». Just that they, as a studio, don't comment on «politics»… It's a bad way to handle the situation (just staying silent might have been a better alternative, idk), but that's a standard PR phrase.
  • The fact that CEO used to work for a large Russian IT company doesn't mean that he is «pro-Russian». In fact, it doesn't mean anything at all.
  • «Shady» investors is a valid point. I understand why they have these companies as investors (if you're a Russian studio, where else would you get your money from?). But part of the studio's profit will almost certainly go to these sanctioned Russian companies.
  • Nothing in those screenshots in the video says that your information WILL be transferred to FSB. It's a standard legal warning that by Russian laws they will have to transfer your data to the government organisations, if they are asked to do so.
  • Don't see any actual proofs that the game is praising USSR. Maybe I haven't followed the marketing materials close enough, but I think it's too early to tell. Need to actually play the game to know.
  • I really don't see an issue with using the soviet propaganda slogans for the press event. It fits the setting perfectly. What's the issue here exactly? Those propaganda slogans are among the first things that come to your mind when you think about Soviet Union.
Obviously, I am not trying to convince anyone to buy the game. If you are afraid that even a cent of your money will reach Russian government, you SHOULD probably avoid the game, yes.

I wouldn't fault anyone if they feel uncomfortable to buy the game. But banning it due to half-truths and conjecture doesn't seem like a healthy strategy.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
That would be better than banning any discussion about this game... like they did with the other one. This is so bad because of so many points, especially from an educational one.
Well, I personally would like this game and specially their devs ousted and banned, but I understand that due to personal reasons I'm rather vehemently pro-Ukraine and anti-RF, so I would abide with a compromise.

Oct 25, 2017
Just wait until you learn what western countries do with your tax dollars.
I will not begrudge anybody for not buying the game obviously but this blanket "everything Russian is bad and every Russian that doesn't publicly march against Putin is a suspected war supporter" is really strange.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I don't want to support anyone who supports Russia. Does this developer support it? They didn't officially announce it, but here are some facts:
1. There are obvious signs that the investors and people profiting from this game are tied to russian oligarchs and Gazprom.
2. The game's themes are pro-ussr, pro-kgb and overall glorifies russian army.
3. The developer refuses to do any comment on their politics and has done or said nothing in support of Ukraine.

There is little doubt about their position here imo.
I don't want to ban discussions on this game, but it would be nice if there was a notice on these threads documenting all these issues so that people here could make their minds.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Then they don't have to lie about their location. They're putting up a smokescreen and it's fucking shady

Studio and near all, or all, developers themselves did relocate as far as I know. Doesn't mean they brought all their relatives, other extended family, friends etc. with them. With shitstain like Putin you never know what he does if even slightly profilic entity starts to rail against him.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Just wait until you learn what western countries do with your tax dollars.
I will not begrudge anybody for not buying the game obviously but this blanket "everything Russian is bad and every Russian that doesn't publicly march against Putin is a suspected war supporter" is really strange.

There are very wide reaching embargoes right now that this studio and publisher are manoevring around on the basis of a technicality. With direct links to oligarch money. This whataboutism is really misplaced.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I think maybe this will get me banned but please hear me out:
I see lot of people calling to boycott this game as it is somehow linked to the Russian state or war (a barbarian war btw that is killing innocents and especially destroying the future of millions of kids and putting the whole region in a very bad shape for decades)
BUT:
Why we I don't (and did not) see people calling to boycott games and movies linked to the US military (or that US military will collect royalties from them) the army that destroyed countries, killed thousands and led to the death of more. multiple countries including mine were harmed by the action of the US and Nato militaries and their governments. You don't see lot of people calling china out or the games coming from China that are usually has the CCP hands somewhere. Same goes for Israel who for multiple times killed innocent people still stealing lands and oppressing them.

This is not a whataboutism (I am not Russian and I don't sympathise with their barbaric actions in Ukraine).

There is no ethical consumption in our capitalist society. However, I think there is a clear difference between devs/publishers paying mandatory taxes to their government and a dev/publisher having much more direct funding and/or links to a government. When it comes to Atomic Heart, it's still a little unclear where the dev and publisher stand and what the links are, but overall it's a false equivalence in my opinion.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Studio and near all, or all, developers themselves did relocate as far as I know. Doesn't mean they brought all their relatives, other extended family, friends etc. with them. With shitstain like Putin you never know what he does if even slightly profilic entity starts to rail against him.
I see no evidence of that, and in fact see employees still being employed at other companies in moscow on their LinkedIn pages.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Some people in ResetERA will only be happy when no games ever can be discussed. Let's ban discussion of every game, and all gaming news.

ResetERA OT only 4eva.
Its confusing if you're not here everyday to know whats up.

I was looking for the review thread of 'we dont speak its name' game for a good while until i saw the sticky.

We should just go the Disney way and have a big ass attachment on every sketchy ethics game and keep it open for discussion.

Or else you get stuff like this.

Oct 25, 2017
The wizard game was a very unique situation.

That should not be the norm for games going forward, i'm all for putting a disclaimer in the eventual OT, but if we start banning games for their investors, that's going to a open up a shit ton of other games to being banned as well. The whole "no ethical consumption under capitalism" thing means most of what we consume unfortunately will be funding someone else's harm.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria

I don't think people need another reason than Russia's genocidal war against Ukraine.

The game is not only bound to attract scrutiny due to it's investors but also the Soviet imagery it plays with imo as several people have already pointed out that it's understandably something that can be problematic for people

Last edited:

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Breaking site-wide staff post regarding advocation for banning content
I agree. How can the mods put a blanket ban on one game for things someone has said, and yet this one gets a free pass even though it is LITERALLY funding actual deaths?

Surely, for balance, ALL discussion of this game should be officially banned including any OT ? This is the precedent now set by the ModTeam.

Couldn't agree more.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
The game is full of ussr symbolism and the main character is kgb officer. And ussr symbolics are very, very popular amongst hardcore russian war supporters.
The game takes place in an alternative past ussr, and it's use of "symbolism" is limited to superficial aesthetics backdrop for robot shooting. It's no more "pro-ussr" than Black Ops Cold War or Singularity. The same goes for the main character. He's a kgb officer because he needs to shoot things, that doesn't make the game "pro-kgb". And I have no idea how any of this "overall glorifies russian army".

I remember reading in a thread that they used a lot USSR symbols at their press events in countries where it's explicitly banned to do so.
They used ussr symbols on their press event in Moscow, yes, but that supposed to be a stylized in-universe event. Like, you understand that "Comrade, welcome to the great robotic future!" or whatever it was is an in-universe propaganda flavor text and not an actual statement from the devs about ussr, right?

Sep 6, 2022
If this game ends up getting an OT and a further platform for discussion after Cyberpunk and Hogwarts were nuked off the site, then that sends a very clear message about what issues are considered issues and which are not.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I think moderation that leads to censorship isn't the way, personally. Moderators should moderate the conversation, let us discuss the TERF for those who want, and let us discuss the game too. Every game has dark funding behind it, didn't we have a thread about how all consoles use slave labor? If we censor a little, we should censor a lot. Or have clear guidelines on what is allowed or not.
But I still personally think every discussion is allowed, people can discuss a video game, others can discuss the darkness behind the developers, and moderators make sure everyone discussing behaves civilly. Don't prevent the discussion. I live Era but it has slowly become over-moderated I have felt this past year or two.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
The game takes place in an alternative past ussr, and it's use of "symbolism" is limited to superficial aesthetics backdrop for robot shooting. It's no more "pro-ussr" than Black Ops Cold War or Singularity. The same goes for the main character. He's a kgb oficer because he needs to shoot things, that doesn't make the game "pro-kgb". And I have no idea how any of this "overall glorifies russian army".

I think it's absolutely fine to use problematic and negative themes in art if there is a point to be made, but I have seen nothing that there is anything like it. All I see is "Ussr symbols and heritage is cool! I am a kgb officer which makes me cool!".
The statement that it glorifies russian army may be a bit of a stretch in other situations, but now there are these facts: 1) An active war is happening against Ukraine, 2) Developer is allegedly supporting Russia and does nothing to debunk that , 3) The ussr idea and symbolics are worshiped by hardcore war promoters.
It's not happening in a vacuum and you can't dismiss these connections.
Even if you are right, all this feels like arguing over semantics when there is a bigger picture to be seen.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The war in Ukraine deserves all empathy and Ukrainians -- locals, displaced people and diaspora -- deserve all support they can get. So good on people for thinking about it when it's not impinging on your lifestyles. Also, way cool that Advance Wars is FINALLY coming out, am I right? The war must be over. Let's have our fun again!!! I do find the selective presumption of evildoing when it comes to anything Russian quite off-putting -- especially when it hinges on such weakly defined points that are seemingly debunked in this very thread, and which, if extrapolated, paint everything with an amoral taint. If the devs are actually in support of the war, screw them up and down -- absolutely. Russia the state is an evil institution, but the lack of perspective sometimes has a flavor of Eastern European negative bias that I've tasted long before there was any war or illegal occupation. Comparing this to the JKR issue and trying to cast a negative light about "priorities" is also foul. Seriously? I saw some post, I think it was in the Constructive Community Talk thread or whatever, about how harsh it was that people here regualrly condemn everyone living in US "red" states, and I really sympathize. Many paint with a broad brush, assume the worst, and have little appreciation for immobility. Guess what, sometimes economic conditions and/or not having a desirable passport means you're fucking stuck. That sucks. Doesn't make you evil though. I don't have the emotional bandwidth to really argue about this any further after having held my tongue for a long time, so I'll leave it at this.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022
I agree. How can the mods put a blanket ban on one game for things someone has said, and yet this one gets a free pass even though it is LITERALLY funding actual deaths?

Surely, for balance, ALL discussion of this game should be officially banned including any OT ? This is the precedent now set by the ModTeam.
Could not agree more

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I think it's absolutely fine to use problematic and negative themes in art if there is a point to be made, but I have seen nothing that there is anything like it. All I see is "Ussr symbols and heritage is cool! I am a kgb officer which makes me cool!".
The statement that it glorifies russian army may be a bit of a stretch in other situations, but now there are these facts: 1) An active war is happening against Ukraine, 2) Developer is allegedly supporting Russia and does nothing to debunk that , 3) The ussr idea and symbolics are worshiped by hardcore war promoters.
It's not happening in a vacuum and you can't dismiss these connections.
Even if you are right, all this feels like arguing over semantics when there is a bigger picture to be seen.
This is what I mean; two out of your three statements are true. A lot of half-truths and conjecture to create a narrative that is built on a house of cards. The questionable twitter threads and videos people are reposting here aren't helping either. It's fine, welcome even, to highlight concerns surrounding this game. But I also see people are inflating these concerns with hot air in order to get all discussion surrounding this game banned without having an awkward discussion about other, more prominent, games and developers.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Saying something is a "whataboutism" is used too much as a blanket reaction to any comparison at all.
You literally said "Just wait until you learn what western countries do with your tax dollars". That is not a critical comparison, that is "Something in this pile of other things is probably bad too". Its the perfect example of whataboutism.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I understand the argument about wanting this game banned, but all of this 'well, we banned that other game, so we should ban every game' is getting major side-eye. You can make have perfectly good reasoning for why you think we shouldn't talk about this game without trying to make it about the perfectly legitimate reasoning why Hogwarts was banned.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
This is what I mean; two out of your three statements are true. A lot of half-truths and conjecture to create a narrative that is built on a house of cards. The questionable twitter threads and videos people are reposting here aren't helping either. It's fine, welcome even, to highlight concerns surrounding this game. But I also see people are inflating these concerns with hot air in order to get all discussion surrounding this game banned without having an awkward discussion about other, more prominent, games and developers.
I don't see how my concerns are "built on a house of cards", I provided pretty solid arguments. Like any statement it can pre proven wrong and if emerges that developers are on Ukraine side and that the game does not glorify ussr I will be happy about it. So far none of it has been debunked.
I am against banning discussion on games, I am only here so that people know the problems with this game. Let people decide themselves if they want to support this game.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'm not sure I can fault Russian artists and developers for not condemning Russia or for taking state-connected cash.

It's very common for developers to take cash and investments from their country or state - and am aware that it's hardly like they are free to criticize their government.

Guess it depends on the message of the game - and if that is objectionable or not. Or if there's specific anti-ukraine statements from them.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
might as well ban the game, every thread on it is just gonna be this anyway

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The game is full of ussr symbolism and the main character is kgb officer. And ussr symbolics are very, very popular amongst hardcore russian war supporters.

USSR symbols are featured in a game set in an ... alternate history USSR? Oh dear, then I fear the developers have indeed missed the mark. It's obvious the game should be using iconography from Imperial Tsarist Russia instead. What a gaff.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
might as well ban the game, every thread on it is just gonna be this anyway

At this point, yeah, getting major flashbacks to Cyberpunk discussions. What's the point in allowing discussion of a game when it stands no chance of actually being discussed without derailment?

Makes more sense to just do the same here as they did with Hogwarts.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Just give it a week or two. Everyone upset will move on to wanting to ban something else they never had any intention of playing anyway.

mocoworm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
So maybe you could take your sly bigotry to places that allow it rather than doing it here?

Bigotry?

I am asking for consistency. I have no issue with the other game being banned if that's what the mod team decided, but that moderation should be applied consistently to all other games which are applicable. Atomic Heart is one of them.

Like I said, the mod team here have set a precedent. A very VERY definite 'line in the sand' in the pinned post statement. Other games cross that line also, for their own reasons. In this case, funding actual genocide.

Last edited:

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
USSR symbols are featured in a game set in an ... alternate history USSR? Oh dear, then I fear the developers have indeed missed the mark. It's obvious the game should be using iconography from Imperial Tsarist Russia instead. What a gaff.

Again, not in vacuum. The game seems to be glorifying ussr and in current times it's more than enough to be described as problematic.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the problem on both sides of this argument is consistency. If you're gonna ban some games for problematic elements, then you'll be expected to do it for all others. But that will just lead to what mocoworm said earlier.

Conversely, I don't see why some are so eager to get this game banned due to it's Russian influence. They announced this game in 2018/19, well before the Ukraine war. It just feels shallow to me when people get up in arms over some controversy, but not similar other ones. It reeks of recency bias for the war.

I don't thing the imagery is condoning the USSR, either. People playing a WWII game aren't gonna complain about Nazi swasticas in a German setting, are they? No one's played the game yet, but the story seems to be going in the Bioshock direction. Surely not many people coming away from Bioshock would think Objectivism is peachy. The whole game was a deconstruction of that philosophy. I wouldn't be surprised if AH did something similar with the USSR.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I don't see how my concerns are "built on a house of cards", I provided pretty solid arguments. Like any statement it can pre proven wrong and if emerges that developers are on Ukraine side and that the game does not glorify ussr I will be happy about it. So far none of it has been debunked.
I am against banning discussion on games, I am only here so that people know the problems with this game. Let people decide themselves if they want to support this game.
If you want to stay on the cautious side, good. But while none of your claims have been debunked, none of them have been proven true either. You can't just point at a bit of smoke here and there to argue that everything is on fire. And that leads to absurd claims like here below.

Like I said, the mod team here have set a precedent. A very VERY definite 'line in the sand' in the pinned post statement. Other games cross that line also, for their own reasons. In this case, funding actual genocide.

Yes, there are some legitimate concerns surrounding the game's financing. But if you are going to make the claim that Mundfish (and by extension, anyone buying the game) is funding actual genocide, you better have some really good receipts handy.

Mar 19, 2021

While you may have meant it like that it certainly didn't come across that way from the poster I actually quoted, judging also by their previous posts. I don't think it's helpful to compare causes of a ban on discussion in that way, it just comes across as being salty at the perfectly valid decision that was made.

staff post - stay on topic

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Derailing threads to discuss what pieces of media you want moderation to ban is not allowed. Any further digressions will result in bans. If you want to discuss moderation policies in this area, please feel free to submit a ticket. This is also the remedy if you wish to appeal your ban for ignoring this post. Knock it off, please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oeufcoque

Oct 27, 2017
The game takes place in an alternative past ussr, and it's use of "symbolism" is limited to superficial aesthetics backdrop for robot shooting. It's no more "pro-ussr" than Black Ops Cold War or Singularity. The same goes for the main character. He's a kgb officer because he needs to shoot things, that doesn't make the game "pro-kgb". And I have no idea how any of this "overall glorifies russian army".

They used ussr symbols on their press event in Moscow, yes, but that supposed to be a stylized in-universe event. Like, you understand that "Comrade, welcome to the great robotic future!" or whatever it was is an in-universe propaganda flavor text and not an actual statement from the devs about ussr, right?

I could've sworn I saw someone post a twitter thread about how they did one of those press events in Sweden where it's illegal to have ussr symbols. But I can't find it so I'll assume it's bad info, sorry about that.

IBetUHav

Oct 27, 2017
Can we stop discussion of this game? Not feeling good on giving a dev a platform whose revenue helps killing people in the Ukraine.
I would really hate to see era become a place where what we are and aren't allowed to discuss is chosen for us on a consistent basis. No game is perfect, no company is perfect, and people are not perfect. If you dig deep enough you can find problems with the people and investors that are attached to just about every project.