• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
og.jpg

Review Thread

Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4

Players: 1 player offline, 1-4 online multiplayer co-op
Release Date: JP: March 15, 2018, NA: March 20, 2018, PAL: March 20, 2018
Developer: Koei Tecmo
Publisher: Omega Force

top-ttl011m6o4c.png

An even more faithful recreation of the Attack on Titan world. Fear the more realistic Titans and enjoy the evolved action system for more versatility.

img-system2-7.jpg

titanaction8nugd.png

Attack on Titan 2 is the gripping sequel to the action game based on the worldwide hit anime series "Attack on Titan."

Experience the immense story of the anime alongside Eren and his companions, as they fight to save humanity from the threat of the deadly human devouring Titans. Try your hand in operating the omni-directional mobility gear, maneuvering and flying through the sky to counter the Titans, and feel the thrill and satisfaction of battling giant opponents.

wop5e152211140989se7.png

We kill Titans Levi...........what else did you expect?

kdzjo1522111435ffszk.png

It follows the two current seasons of Attack on Titan using your created character! Your character follows along with the main folks of the anime. They can be customized by their looks, weapons, items, and skills which you unlock with the friendship system while playing.

zozco1522111471k4sri.png

Although the scouting missions can be done during the story solo, along with a new game plus. You can do all scout missions online with friends up to 4 players. Plus its a lot more fun, and a bit easier to manage some of the end game stuff with your buddies.

xcllk1522111494pys68.png

Oh yes, glad you asked!!!!

p214y15221115154rsz2.jpg

Sorry bud, its double as bloody and gory from what I've seen and played as the first one

pnpsm1522111546tcpvn.png

It's a dirty OT, don't hate me

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't going to buy it until it go cheaper, but BestBuy only had one copy left and I had a gift card to use.
Heard the first game was pretty good but I never got around to it, so this one should be my first. Hope it's good

OP
OP
TheZynster

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't going to buy it until it go cheaper, but BestBuy only had one copy left and I had a gift card to use.
Heard the first game was pretty good but I never got around to it, so this one should be my first. Hope it's good

its just an evolved form of the first one.....the first one was really fun. Also titans got pretty rough towards the end, in this one the titans actually get pretty damn aggressive toward the end, not just health tough.....and they can be really satisfying to fight. There is nothing like it and the Devs did literally the perfect job to recreate that feeling of being in the game using the gear and swords.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the anime up earlier today, will be starting this game tonight.
its just an evolved form of the first one.....the first one was really fun. Also titans got pretty rough towards the end, in this one the titans actually get pretty damn aggressive toward the end, not just health tough.....and they can be really satisfying to fight. There is nothing like it and the Devs did literally the perfect job to recreate that feeling of being in the game using the gear and swords.
Do you know if you can change your custom charcter after you begin the story without starting over? I'm talking alter their appearance.

OP
OP
TheZynster

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the anime up earlier today, will be starting this game tonight.

Do you know if you can change your custom charcter after you begin the story without starting over? I'm talking alter their appearance.

Yes, after the first long ass chapter lol, its like 3-4 hours. When you join the scout division, you get access to your room and you can change your appearance again.

You'll know when you should be able to, because you will get access to all the scout missions and stuff for the first time.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, after the first long ass chapter lol, its like 3-4 hours. When you join the scout division, you get access to your room and you can change your appearance again.

You'll know when you should be able to, because you will get access to all the scout missions and stuff for the first time.
Alright sweet, can't wait to jump into this one. How enjoyable is the online multiplayer?

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
How much of the anime/manga is covered in this game? I'm enjoying the game so far, I'm up to Chapter 3 part 3 so far.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I've just been watching the beginning of a playthrough on YouTube the last day or so, and I have to say, I like the 1st-person scenes from your OC; it's cute, and I'm curious about how you can apparently save characters on a NG+ or something. It was both amusing and sad to see your OC interact with certain doomed red-shirts. I'm also a sucker for character creators in any form. And the gameplay itself seems fun. I'm thinking about getting it, at the very least when there's a sale.

It does make me wonder about a third game, knowing what happens in the manga. From what I've seen, they did a good job improving and expanding with this sequel, so if they can do the same with another sequel, it'd be pretty cool.

OP
OP
TheZynster

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Alright sweet, can't wait to jump into this one. How enjoyable is the online multiplayer?

Pretty easy to get into, just try to max out your friendships in single player to get the skills you want and get a good amount of materials. When you get to the point you want to far stuff/do scouts. Go into another mode and it allows you to do them with a full lobby. You can even choose 1 of like 36 folks from the show and level them up as well in "another mode". Which is the online scouts mode. Scouts are shared between single player and multiplayer. Not sure if there are specific ones in another mode only. But everything carries between the two easily. So any gear and stuff you get in one mode can be used for the other

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty easy to get into, just try to max out your friendships in single player to get the skills you want and get a good amount of materials. When you get to the point you want to far stuff/do scouts. Go into another mode and it allows you to do them with a full lobby. You can even choose 1 of like 36 folks from the show and level them up as well in "another mode". Which is the online scouts mode. Scouts are shared between single player and multiplayer. Not sure if there are specific ones in another mode only. But everything carries between the two easily. So any gear and stuff you get in one mode can be used for the other
Wow that's actually super cool that everything is shared between modes.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh sweet, a thread for this.

Got mine on Switch. It pretty much makes the first game obsolete since it does everything better.
TrIJwQF.jpg

txXMtRi.jpg
ngDinfx.jpg

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oh sweet, a thread for this.

Got mine on Switch. It pretty much makes the first game obsolete since it does everything better.
TrIJwQF.jpg

txXMtRi.jpg
ngDinfx.jpg
How are you finding the handheld performance? If it's close to the first one on the PS4, that's more than expected. I don't mind it getting messy with multiple titans on screen.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's the frame rate on the switch? Was thinking about switching to that version

It's good. Stable for the most part but in certain situations can get choppy for a second or two.

It's mostly when multiple titans are destroying buildings near you. The other versions seem to gave that issue as well, but it's not vert prevalent.

EDIT: Here's some gameplay of the switch ver.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got this and the gameplay is great.

I love the flying/swinging mechanic. I was told it had zenlike gameplay.... flying around, slicing and dicing, and boy does it ever.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like that they've went a bit crazier with the weapons this time around.
Cutting titan napes with a spiked bat is pretty funny.
toNIBHF.jpg

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The OST is really not as great as the anime, but the music is quite fine. Controls are very much an improvement over the first and the game feels a blast to play.

Also really like the spin of making your own character and playing along the story. Overall, anybody who enjoyed the first or is curious about this series should jump in on this one. It's worth the time.

OP
OP
TheZynster

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
It's $51 on green man gaming right now, not terrible. But not the preorder price they had month ago

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this game is absolutely ridiculous for completionists. The amount of time it would take to acquire every item and max level every character is utterly mind-boggling! It's a good thing the core gameplay is so strong or I'd never even consider going past completing story mode.

I'm 56 hours in and I think it's time I played some other games, as progression has slowed down severely at this stage. Still, I've really enjoyed my time with the game so far and I'm definitely not done with it. Helps that I'm pretty darn attached to my tiny little permanently concerned titan slayer. Games with good character creation will always hook me like that.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
It's $51 on green man gaming right now, not terrible. But not the preorder price they had month ago
This might push me over the edge.

Almost got 1st one just on account of the movement system stuff. Looks pretty fun.

How fast does it get into season 2 stuff? 'cause I haven't watched that yet.

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably pick this up when it goes on sale eventually. I heard 80% of the story is recycled from the first game, which I've already played.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm about 15 hours in and am almost at the season 2 stuff, though I have been messing around a lot with the social system to get new skills.

If it makes players of the first game feel any better, the season 1 bits come complete with some new maps, new cutscenes, combat improvements, and the whole social link system.

I beat the first game normally and on true attack mode and I'm pleasantly surprised how much more fun they made it.

OP
OP
TheZynster

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
This might push me over the edge.

Almost got 1st one just on account of the movement system stuff. Looks pretty fun.

Working my way there now. Just getting the rock to the wall was 2-3 hours for chapter 1

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Man, this game is absolutely ridiculous for completionists. The amount of time it would take to acquire every item and max level every character is utterly mind-boggling! It's a good thing the core gameplay is so strong or I'd never even consider going past completing story mode.

I'm 56 hours in and I think it's time I played some other games, as progression has slowed down severely at this stage. Still, I've really enjoyed my time with the game so far and I'm definitely not done with it. Helps that I'm pretty darn attached to my tiny little permanently concerned titan slayer. Games with good character creation will always hook me like that.
Damn, those eyes. That's a cute badass.

Co op sounds like fun.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Having a great time (again) with the game. I played the first game for about 15 hours but I'm sure I'll put more time into this one. I really like all of the weird weapon options. I think it makes it more fun.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
I beat the game over the weekend, maxed out some relationships, but I don't think I have it in me to play through inferno mode lol.

The PC version is legit though, my only problem with it is the draw distance.

What do you mean by reinforcement? In solo play the distress signal is for just like a help me, having trouble with story mission. But you can do manual parties in the online part of "another mode" with 4 players

I think he means to ask if those log in items are meant to be used to upgrade weapons lol

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
What do you mean by reinforcement? In solo play the distress signal is for just like a help me, having trouble with story mission. But you can do manual parties in the online part of "another mode" with 4 players

I meant that there seem to be 30 of each so I imagine that they will be used to strengthen other weapons.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I've just bought it for Switch: its HK price was ridicolous and...it was a PAL version too LOL
38€ brand new...can't wait to test it out!

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious how different this is from the first, which I really enjoyed.

Is it largely the same mechanically or has the gameplay received significant overhaul?

Deleted member 22422

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a fan of the show the gameplay in this looks amazing! Never played the first one but took a gamble and bought it on Switch.