• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favourite moment of Season 3 part 2

• My soldiers, rage! My soldiers scream! My soldiers, fight!

Votes: 108 22.3%
  • Levi vs Beast Titan

Votes: 157 32.4%
  • Armin's sacrifice

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • Levi's choice

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Basement reveal (Marley, Titan history)

Votes: 95 19.6%
  • Shingeki no Kyojin

Votes: 19 3.9%
  • The sea

Votes: 26 5.4%

• Total voters

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It was, and I actually thought the same thing. He looks way different to me, too
What? How is that guy Berthold? I totally assumed he's some random guy we don't know about yet.
zVRVcn.png

Come on, there's no way that's Berthold, wtf. Can anyone post this panel in the manga?

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, it is him but he looks different af.
Especially without that enhanced widows peak or w/e it is

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else miss the old artstyle? I want those THICC AF linework back, babiiii. It bums me out when they have flashbacks and you can see the old artstyle.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Okay, yeah, it's Berthold, but they drew him super weird, he doesn't look like himself at all.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
This what I don't understand... the show has been hinting that Titans are actually people going through some kinda nightmare which is maybe why they are eating people... HOWEVER... Eren and various other people are still aware of their actions when they are Titans.

So are there 2 types of Titans or something? Sentient and self aware like Eren? And then mindless killers like every other Titan?

I bring this up cuz Eren has been reflecting alot lately but everytime it looks like he figured something out... somebody ruins the reveal!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
So are there 2 types of Titans or something? Sentient and self aware like Eren? And then mindless killers like every other Titan?

Three types really. There are shifters like Eren, Berthholdt, Annie etc. There are "dumb" ones that run around mindlessly to eat any human. These ones shut down at night. Then there are "oddball" ones that act weirdly. These are the ones that don't shutdown at night and sometimes ignore nearby humans.

We don't know the difference between the latter two, but it may be related to the coordinate ability. All the Titans in season 2, for example, act like the oddball ones and function at night.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Three types really. There are shifters like Eren, Berthholdt, Annie etc. There are "dumb" ones that run around mindlessly to eat any human. These ones shut down at night. Then there are "oddball" ones that act weirdly. These are the ones that don't shutdown at night and sometimes ignore nearby humans.

We don't know the difference between the latter two, but it may be related to the coordinate ability. All the Titans in season 2, for example, act like the oddball ones and function at night.
Also perhaps worth mentioning: dumb/deviant Titans seem to be able to sense where groups of humans are and (albeit not in the case of all deviants, certainly with some of them) gravitate toward those places; Eren definitely doesn't seem to have mentioned any sort of similar ability to sense where humans are clustered together.

Deleted member 42158

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2018
Hi guys
Can I start the manga where the anime end? I stopped during the start of The uprising arc (civil war arc) in the manga.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Mikasa would benefit from some scenes that develop the relationship between her and someone other than Eren.
This show actually has some pretty strong characters, each who are more complex than they seemed at first. But Mikasa has remained stagnant ever since the episode where she realized Eren didn't die. It's a shame that I can say with confidence she's the weakest character in the show, even when it comes to real minor characters like that dude with Hange who smelled people and smirked or the woman who gets shot in the face at the beginning of S3.

It's funny, since I had thought there was a protagonist shift to her when they "killed off" Eren. She definitely would have become a different character at that point, though.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
What? How is that guy Berthold? I totally assumed he's some random guy we don't know about yet.
zVRVcn.png

Come on, there's no way that's Berthold, wtf. Can anyone post this panel in the manga?

Both the creator's and the studio's drawing has been inconsistent. Character change face styles every episode,sometimes you don't recognise them or you think they aged years back n forth...

Anyway,first time posting in the ResetERA AoT thread. Imo this anime is the GoT of animes,consistent plot with mysteries,cliffhangers and plot twists...plus excellent music and animation(mostly)

I like the fact that it has very few silly anime moments compared to the rest,it's mostly drama and action. But it's like a slow poison,12 episode seasons of 20 mins per episode,goddamn it...it's gonna take 5-6 years before this one ends

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
I knew there's going to be a hiatus when the OP remain the same. Urghhhh...they really want to kill this series.

That tease was lame as fuck. They basically screamed to anime-only fans to go read the manga.
I mean thats kind of the point of any anime based on outside source material. They are advertisements for the source material.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean thats kind of the point of any anime based on outside source material. They are advertisements for the source material.
I've heard this a few times, but is that really the case for the most part? In Jojo's case, for example, I can't envision the primary purpose is to sell volumes of the manga. That one's definitely an exception, but I have to think that anime adaptations are made to stand on their own financially, for the most part.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So the primary goal of those shows are to sell the source material? The thing is, they always have stuff like external marketing that is anime specific (for cafes, for department stores, etc.), and then there are the absurd home release prices.

Then there are anime original shows. I guess it makes sense that the motivation behind making an adaptation like that would be to sell the manga volumes for an ongoing work, but I guess what I'm thinking about is that they are surely thinking about how much money the anime itself can make as well.

I don't know enough the business behind licensing and how profit is generated in the anime industry.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, that looks completely like normal Berthold, it's just the wind blowing his hair back, manga panel is the same

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
When I saw that scene, I knew it was Bertholdt and Reiner immediately, but I did think the former looked different. I think it's the lighting from the sun and the wind, plus his clothes.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the primary goal of those shows are to sell the source material? The thing is, they always have stuff like external marketing that is anime specific (for cafes, for department stores, etc.), and then there are the absurd home release prices.

Then there are anime original shows. I guess it makes sense that the motivation behind making an adaptation like that would be to sell the manga volumes for an ongoing work, but I guess what I'm thinking about is that they are surely thinking about how much money the anime itself can make as well.

I don't know enough the business behind licensing and how profit is generated in the anime industry.

I ain't super knowledgable about the other ways they generate revenue, and sure there's exceptions, but based on how many shows get made despite the source material being nowhere close to finishing, yea that seems like the main reason they exist

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard this a few times, but is that really the case for the most part? In Jojo's case, for example, I can't envision the primary purpose is to sell volumes of the manga.

Yeah cause the manga is still on going. Plus DP are fans of JoJo. The studio pumps a lot of $$$ into JoJo. It also prints money. But, JoJo is the exception not the norm. Most studios would not do that. Bleach will never get an anime, ever.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
If it wasn't Bert in that scene, it would make absolutely no sense.
In anime, they would close up on that persons face with dramatic music, the screen would cut to black, and some dramatic dialogue would occur. something along the lines of "im waiting for you, Eren," or "remember me, Eren?"

That's how you introduce a new character in anime.

"kept you waiting, huh?"

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, just the longer hair (some months passed and he obviously grew it out some) and the wind blowing it back make quite a difference. Both him and Reiner are SUPPOSED to look a bit different there.

That's not to say that AoT S3 doesn't have a fair amount of inconsistent character art and the last episode with it's way too many key animators and animation directors was no different.

A fucking shame this stupid industry and its ridiculous production committees, scheduling and pretty much guaranteed extreme crunch. One would hope WIT would actually be given the time to produce AoT properly but nah... Worst thing is, while the 2nd half right now wouldn't have been possible at all, it'll probably face similar production issues yet again in April.

Mediking

Interesting... so do you remember the Titan that said "sorry" or something beforr eating a human? Where does he fall?

Oct 26, 2017

Anime original shows are much less common than before, at this point, and precisely the reason is what it has been said. Although now in addition of promoting manga, they promote LNs.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
That preview was nuts.
My bet is that something happened to Armin or someone else from their group considering that eren and mikasa were kinda crying and freaking out.
Eren would never confront Levi if it wasn't something really serious.
Mikasa is a psychopath,she draws her blade even against levi who saved her and eren a few times in the past.
Maybe this will break the team forever.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
Interesting... so do you remember the Titan that said "sorry" or something beforr eating a human? Where does he fall?
You mean the one from Ilse's notebook OVA? Idk. The line between the latter two types are pretty blurry. I mean you can argue that one is the same as Connie's mother (Oddballs who spoke) but iirc it acted like a dumb one before doing weird things (like burying her and stopping mid-action).

Oddball type. They are all actually dumb, some just act weird.
Didn't say oddballs weren't dumb, just that the series has been pretty keen on separating the two types. You can tell, for example, when Survey Corp used different signals during the female Titan arc and labels/names(奇行種).

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
They have to, since they are unpredictable.

Anyway, the only viable theories for now are that it depends on the way the serum is injected or that it depends on the person.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe there is no difference and every one of them can be abnormal at times. Like it is more of a behavior thing.

Mediking

I got another question. How do ya'll feel about Berry? He is a mass murderer after all and seems to be aware of his actions. Yet... it seems like he's being forced to do stuff because of his mysterious hometown and he does care for Annie.

Or do we wanna see him dead? Eren definitely wanna see him dead. Lol

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I got another question. How do ya'll feel about Berry? He is a mass murderer after all and seems to be aware of his actions. Yet... it seems like he's being forced to do stuff because of his mysterious hometown and he does care for Annie.

I want him to be gifted the gift of death

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really feel much for Bertholt, really need to rewatch this to even see if he's a good character. I didn't like Reiner when he had that fight with Eren, dude didn't want to hold that L so he just cheats his way out of the fight so fuck him. Was glad when Beast Titan clobbered him.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...

Right now, I'd rather see them suffer psychologically for a long period of time. Getting killed really isn't that big of a punishment for them for all the suffer and pain they caused. This is even if they're forced to do whatever they're sent to do.

Last edited:

Mediking

I want him to be gifted the gift of death

I don't really feel much for Bertholt, really need to rewatch this to even see if he's a good character. I didn't like Reiner when he had that fight with Eren, dude didn't want to hold that L so he just cheats his way out of the fight so fuck him. Was glad when Beast Titan clobbered him.

Right now, I'd rather see them suffer psychologically for a long period of time. Getting killed really isn't that big of a punishment for them for all the suffer and pain they caused. This is even if they're forced to do whatever they're sent to do.

None of you guys feel sorry for Berry and Reiner? :/

Oct 27, 2017
It's a hard situation all around, because what they have done is virtually unthinkable and they're directly or indirectly responsible for the deaths of over 250,000 people.

But then you look at meek, low-profile Bert and can scarcely imagine how he's the giant monster from the beginning of the series which knocked down the walls and traumatized thousands of people forever.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
I sympathize most with Annie, so that extends to Bertholdt and Reiner of course.

It makes sense why no one is inclined to feel sorry for them though.. :p

f76a84a5e627e10f7b43314587c7e80e.jpg

Part of the point is for them to be bear the atrocities of their actions after all...