• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favourite moment of Season 3 part 2

• My soldiers, rage! My soldiers scream! My soldiers, fight!

Votes: 108 22.3%
  • Levi vs Beast Titan

Votes: 157 32.4%
  • Armin's sacrifice

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • Levi's choice

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Basement reveal (Marley, Titan history)

Votes: 95 19.6%
  • Shingeki no Kyojin

Votes: 19 3.9%
  • The sea

Votes: 26 5.4%

• Total voters

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't know about S1 or S2, but I definitely feel like being forced to think about what had just happened for a week at a time at the end of S3 was part of its magic. There were a series of episodes there where each one was so intense and made you want to see what was going to happen next so badly that being able to just experience it without any wait would have removed the element of suspense that made it all so memorable.

Oct 27, 2017
A similar deal happens with the manga, except its monthly. Every time a chapter comes out people lose their shit and wild speculations / theories / memes go on for about a month until the next one drops, and it helps build up suspense and gives you time to appreciate the details and the worldbuilding. Cliffhanger panels at Erwin's charge, Armin's resurrection and the photograph in the basement were a doozy. I remember the syringe incident and the fact that Armin was picked made a huge uproar that divided the fanbase for months, not quite the same thing happened with the anime.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Hell nah. I marathoned the series a few weeks ago (prior to this I only watched S1 in 2013) and it was amazing. You always have to marathon anime unless it's episodic, especially with a series like AoT that heavily relies on plot points from earlier in the series. For me it's more important to watch episodes en masse so that I don't forget all the little details.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't know about S1 or S2, but I definitely feel like being forced to think about what had just happened for a week at a time at the end of S3 was part of its magic. There were a series of episodes there where each one was so intense and made you want to see what was going to happen next so badly that being able to just experience it without any wait would have removed the element of suspense that made it all so memorable.

Watching the discussion after "Perfect Game" was incredible. Like when these events happened in the manga, the situation was so thoroughly fucked that people began theorizing what kind of deus ex machina would be required to escape (stuff like Eren controlling wall titans or Reiner's soldier personality defecting to Eren's side). It was really fun to relive that magic.

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the discussion after "Perfect Game" was incredible. Like when these events happened in the manga, the situation was so thoroughly fucked that people began theorizing what kind of deus ex machina would be required to escape (stuff like Eren controlling wall titans or Reiner's soldier personality defecting to Eren's side). It was really fun to relive that magic.
Ok, that would've been some fun shit to see.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Eren, remember when we both got beat up by Annie? Those were good times."
Them double teaming Zeke would've been some good shit, especially if Levi joined in.

Reiner: "Eren I'm going to marry Historia"

Eren:
25027e1f507488b313b627378a94ad24.gif

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Well I put this season in the back burner thinking it's typical AoT
Episode 7-10. Whooo I feel drained. What a season.
Hands down Season 3 is thee best.

I'm going to read the manga now

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Scouts already had the odds stacked against them without having Reiner dragging them down.

Oct 25, 2017
The Scouts already had the odds stacked against them without having Reiner dragging them down.
They knew the odds were against them, which is why their whole plan was based around a sneak attack, which got immediately thrown out the window by Zeke having the quadruped Titan scouting the area for early intruders. I think regardless the Scouts knew it was going to be a high attrition mission, just not on the level of what it was. They had no control over anything that happened.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They knew the odds were against them, which is why their whole plan was based around a sneak attack, which got immediately thrown out the window by Zeke having the quadruped Titan scouting the area for early intruders. I think regardless the Scouts knew it was going to be a high attrition mission, just not on the level of what it was. They had no control over anything that happened.

I was making a joke about Reiner switching sides disadvantaging them because of how much he sucks.:P

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I got my friend hooked on this but he told me he decided to watch with the English voice actors instead because he could watch it on demand for fios which got me sad because even though the show is still good in English I feel the Japanese voice actors elevate this show to an even higher lever, which I told him but he doesn't like to read sub titles.

I'm not a huge fan of Papenbrook as Eren, whereas Yuki Kaji is all world. lol

Oct 25, 2017
I got my friend hooked on this but he told me he decided to watch with the English voice actors instead because he could watch it on demand for fios which got me sad because even though the show is still good in English I feel the Japanese voice actors elevate this show to an even higher lever, which I told him but he doesn't like to read sub titles.

I'm not a huge fan of Papenbrook as Eren, whereas Yuki Kaji is all world. lol
Papenbrook isn't even a good Caesar Zeppeli. I like him as Nagito Komaeda, but that's probably it.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Papenbrook isn't even a good Caesar Zeppeli. I like him as Nagito Komaeda, but that's probably it.

Honestly, looking back now, the English cast is really pretty good. It's just Papenbrook I don't like. lol

But that's a huge deal because there are a ton of amazing scenes with Eren that Yuki Kaji gave me chills (Armored and Colossal reveal, end of Scream, Midnight Sun, etc.) where Papenbrook just fell flat. At the same time, it's possible the impact of those scenes were diminished for me because I experienced them already in the sub.

Either way, my friend says he thinks the English voice acting is amazing, and if he has nothing to compare it to then it's a non-issue.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, looking back now, the English cast is really pretty good. It's just Papenbrook I don't like. lol

But that's a huge deal because there are a ton of amazing scenes with Eren that Yuki Kaji gave me chills (Armored and Colossal reveal, end of Scream, Midnight Sun, etc.) where Papenbrook just fell flat. At the same time, it's possible the impact of those scenes were diminished for me because I experienced them already in the sub.

Either way, my friend says he thinks the English voice acting is amazing, and if he has nothing to compare it to then it's a non-issue.
I don't even like dub Erwin or Matt Mercer Levi. Once you go sub you don't go back with this show.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
The only dub voices I actually like are Reiner and Ymir.

English Eren is insufferable, in both human and titan form.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand english Eren either, he sounds like an obnoxious teen brat with an annoying voice who seems always pissed about something.

...wait

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Something me and my gf had a constant giggle about this season was that imagine youre chosen to become a titan. And then your titan form ends up like ant eater titan...then you look at how the armored titan looks lmfaoooo

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Some bad jokes I made while watching this were:
gf: wonder if we'll get a beach episode this seasons since those are so common in anime?
me: what do you mean? Plenty of women in this show have already ended up in 2 pieces

*right after armin eats bert*
"wow! armin finally got his first titan kill!"

I see people throwing around recommendations for what to watch/read after. The Trigun and Claymore manga are both very good. With Claymore being closer to AoT in tone and other things.
If you can handle the trashiness, Gantz manga is up there with some all time high moments. Although its highs are mostly from action unlike how AoT is a mix lore hype and action. But man, reading that bi-weekly (and then monthly) was excruciating. Shame the mangaka got tired/bored of drawing it and rushed the ending. Still has a top 10 manga arc for me though (osaka)

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have information on the studio that will be working on the next season?

edit: I guess I'm not the only wondering about it here. :P Whoever it is they better bring their SSS+ game.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Do we have information on the studio that will be working on the next season?

edit: I guess I'm not the only wondering about it here. :P Whoever it is they better bring their SSS+ game.
What we know is that the first person that confirmed the final season was Tetsuko Araki (main director of the past seasons) so it's a clue that the series will continue with Production I.G.
Araki, Imai (action scenes freelance animator) and Sawano (music) are must.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah, I'd absolutely be down with Production IG finishing this up, they're more than qualified for the job.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Finished up Part 2 of Season 3 over the weekend, hot damn that was a step up over Part 1. I'm going to just dump all my thoughts and opinions in no particular order so forgive me if I end up repeating myself or just seem to be rambling on, I did try to lump the relevant points together. I've got a couple of questions sitting in there that I'd like answers to, but if the answer is something that's going to be covered in S4 I'd appreciate you just saying so and not spoiling anything for me.

• I didn't think Part 1 was bad but I did find it jarring how different and human-focused it was. I feel like such a scrub for complaining that something wasn't as enjoyable because they stopped focusing on the action/violence to look into the political side of things but I can't help it, the quasi-horror aspect of the first 2 seasons was definitely missed by me and shifting the titan storyline from this strange zombie-esque thing to the Eldian/King storyline didn't quite scratch the same itch. That said, in retrospect I find myself appreciating it a lot more because clearly the clash between these 2 civilizations will be the final arc of the show so seeing how 'our' side lives was necessary in preparation for that. Interesting that the people living inside the Walls have essentially handed over all power to their military and there's a war on the horizon, which could either be a positive or negative, depending on how you look at it.
  • We finally got to see what happened to Marco back in Season 1. This might be a bit of a tasteless comparison but it felt like it was being presented as a kind of rape, with him being pinned down and restrained by Reiner whilst Annie forcibly stripped him of his equipment. Probably one of the most disturbing things I've seen the show do and it was a pretty potent display reminder of just how terrifying the regular titans can be. These characters are a minor equipment failure aware from being absolutely helpless. Felt like the regular titans haven't been that scary in a long while. Not a necessary sequence by any means since it was pretty clear what happened to Marco through what we'd seen so far but it was still good to put it to rest.
  • Armin's 'death' hit me hard. At this point I'd totally forgot about the syringe they'd recovered and what plans they might have had for it so I really thought he was done. I knew that Armin/Eren were pulling a fakeout so I was... well not happy, but glad he was going out to get one over on Reiner/Bertholdt & the Beast Titan. I really didn't need to hear Bertholdt explain what Armin & Eren were doing afterwards, but it seems unnecessary exposition is just something you have to tolerate when it comes to anime in general.
  • Erwin was giving me real Griffith from Berserk vibes there in "Perfect Game", especially when he's shown standing atop the pile of bodies. His days were numbered when he lost that arm so I can't say it was a surprise to see him die, especially since they spelled out the risks of him going beyond the Walls at the end of Part 1. Still, his death was so sad. Seeing him die was one thing but then learning he'd survived and that his life could be saved only to let him die anyway is a whole other gut punch. That suicide charge though!
    • I've seen a fair bit of criticism of Floch for chewing out 'the trio' for saving Armin instead of Erwin, saying that he's being a dick etc. Sure, blaming Armin for this is unfair because it wasn't his decision but I certainly don't think that he's wrong to feel the way he does. Erwin had already expressed to Levi his desire to give up on his dream and die at that point and still Levi was going to choose him over Armin solely for his closeness to him. They're definitely playing favourites with lives. There's no real right choice there unfortunately.
  • It's hard to hate Reiner/Bertholdt/Annie, but hell if watching Reiner get taken down wasn't a sight to behold. This whole business of transferring your 'conciousness' throughout your nervous system seems like a bit of an ass-pull at this stage in the game so it was disappointing to see the Scouts be denied 2 clear wins because of it but I guess we still don't know much about how the Titan powers work. That specific power being kept a secret right up until that moment seems convenient but I'll forgive it. Reiner really underestimated these guys though; first Levi's opening attack, then Eren & the Survey Corps delivering an ass-kicking and then finally Mikasa straight up blasting him out of his Titan was just amazing to watch. Reiner's realisation of what Mikasa was about to do was just brilliant, poor bastard. I was absolutely gripping the edge of my seat. Dude was way out of his depth.
    • That said, I'm pissed that he got away yet again. This is a particularly bad habit AoT seems to have where it doesn't really set up the heroes for failure, it just waits until the last moment for a big gotcha! moment, it's starting to wear thin even as they rack up other victories.
  • I kinda wish they'd dropped the development of the Thunder Spears into Part 1 though, would have felt more natural than explaining right when they're pulled out of nowhere. Showing that the Survey Core were developing something like that for future use would have been a nice way to show how they're always at least trying to be pro-active when it comes to tackling the Titans (even if it doesn't always go their way) as well some pretty ominous foreshadowing for their next encounter with Reiner.
  • Seeing the full power of the Colossus Titan's transformation blew me away (honestly, no pun intended). Clearly not a subtle visual image but effective nonetheless. I'm wondering, and maybe there's no answer to this, but does whoever controls the Colossus Titan have any sort of control over how much heat/steam is released upon creation? Reiner seems to be able to dictate the level of armour on his Titan when he transforms and Bertholdt can control the release of it when he's even partially formed, but that initial blast is essentially a nuke in S3 but it nowhere near as powerful at the end of S2. Maybe it's just because he was only doing a partial formation, IDK. Feels like the leap from a fairly large blast that burns people to a blast that vaporizes them is too big a leap for adding a pair of legs.
  • Levi absolutely shredded the Beast Titan. A thing of beauty, he had that guy shook.
  • Hange you need to stop almost dying! Just... stop. I need her and I love her and she needs to be ok forever. She's probably one my favourites characters in anything, ever. Absolutely nuts, no doubt, but the good kind of nuts. She's one of those characters that if she's killed off I wouldn't necessarily be upset just because I love her character, but because I think it would be a lot less interesting without her in it. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those sweet summer child moments for anyone who has read the Manga.
  • Ok, so the big reveal of what's been going on floored me. To see their little walled in society drawn on a map, on its own little island, totally shifted my perspective of things. Clearly there was someone living outside the Walls but I'd honestly thought that they'd eventually run into another civilization hiding behind their own walls. The idea that they're basically living inside a King-imposed prison, on a second prison island where prisoner-turned-Titans are dumped completely throws me for a loop.
    • I'm struggling to pick through what's fact and what's just propaganda spread by Marley. Are the Eldians the only ones who can be turned into Titans or is this a lie being spread to justify them as being a 'cursed' race of people, and the reality is that while these Titan powers did originate with them anyone can be turned by the injection? If it truly is just the Eldians that can be turned then that's a massive number of them over the years who have been turned, considering how many Titans we have seen wandering about. It
    • A fair while back I accidentally clicked on and saw some images in that topic started by someone discussing what they believed to be the anti-Semitic direction the story takes so I was aware that there was something possibly problematic coming. I can see it, the imagery is pretty... obvious, shall I say. However my understanding of it is that the explanations given by Marley justifying their treatment of the Eldians was just propaganda, and should not to be taken at face value as to why the audience should think any less of the Eldians. My gut's telling me that you could certainly accuse it of being tasteless in its depiction but not necessarily anti-Semitic. That said I'm neither Jewish, nor do I know what else has been covered in the Manga (either in a later arc or whether this arc was changed for the anime) so I'm not the person to make the decision. Are there any good articles that tackle this issue that anyone could recommend?
  • Sooo, Grisha had a wife and child before Eren... and his son ratted him, his wife and all of his allies out to the police and got them all turned into Titans... and also his wife is that creepy Titan who ended up eating Grisha's second wife... and now his first son is using the Beast Titan to try and kill his second son... Yikes.
  • The Owl mentions Armin & Mikasa. WHAT?! I get them being able to tap into memories but sensing things from the future seems like it should be a huge deal. Wonder if that will come up again.
  • People with Titan powers only live for 13 years, Eren has 8 left. You'd think Grisha would have at least tried to leave more info for Eren knowing that he was on the clock. I feel like an expiry date and Eren's general anger issues are going to be a pretty potent combination in the future. He's not exactly the most adjusted of dudes.
  • I need to get a handle on all the different Titans we have in play and what they can do:
    • Eren = Attack Titan.
    • Annie = Unnamed so far. Not sure what makes her different from the "Attack Titan" other than the crystal stuff, is that it? She's the Crystal Titan? Sort of a hybrid between the Attack and Armoured Titans.
    • Armin = Colossus Titan
    • Reiner = Armoured Titan
    • Zeke = Beast Titan. He can control the regular Titans? Were the Titans he surrounded the Survey Corps with transformed there and then? Can he do that without injecting them?
    • Ymir = Don't know. She must be one of the 9 because she regained her human form after eating Reiner's friend but I'm not sure what her specific power is. Also, this must mean that originally Reiner & Bertoldht were to be a 3 man team to breach the walls but Ymir screwed that up by eating one of them.
    • Unknown = Weird duck face titan. Creepy as hell, don't know what his power is other than being a weird looking pack mule.
    • Unknown = Unknown. Still one Titan that hasn't been featured yet.
    • Unknown = Founding Titan. Is the Founding Titan still unaccounted for? Historia refused the power in S3Pt1, so does that mean that eventually someone will be born with this power in the future? Or did Eren get the Founding Titan along with the Attack Titan from Grisha? I think I'm getting the Founding Titan and the Coordinate ability mixed up here.
  • Eren could control the Titans back in S2 because he touched Dina, who had Royal blood and by extension part of the Founding Titan's power? He's afraid that if he tells anyone they'd turn Historia into a regular Titan so that Eren could use her to control the others? He has no other way of tapping into that power without a 'conduit' Titan. That about right?
  • AoT gets its beach episode!... Sort of. That was a really nice scene of them just enjoying the water, Armin seemed so happy :D
  • There's nothing good on the horizon for these folks is there? They're going to have to defend themselves against an invading army soon enough and they look to be horrible outmatched just by conventional weapons. If Season 4 is going to be the last there's no way it's not split into 2 parts again, right? Absolutely impossible to end this in 12 episodes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cellar reveal was fucking amazing. I never expected the story do deliver on this because they never do, but damn. Part 2 of season 3 was excellent.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I keep on clicking on this thread whenever it gets bumped hoping for good news on who is animating next season, and end up leaving disappointed.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
The last anime I invested in was DBZ close to 20 years ago. I just finished season 3 of AOT.

Holy shit, what a triumph - the basement reveal is just phenomenal world building (not to mention all the gorgeous story telling and dialogue associated with it) and adds an incredible dynamic to what we had known up until that point. Also, Levi is the GOAT.

Some questions:

Is this story finished in the Manga, is it the same story being told in the show mostly? Please only yes or no answers, want to follow thread rules.

What's with these concerns over a different studio making the final season?

Oct 25, 2017
The last anime I invested in was DBZ close to 20 years ago. I just finished season 3 of AOT.

Holy shit, what a triumph - the basement reveal is just phenomenal world building (not to mention all the gorgeous story telling and dialogue associated with it) and adds an incredible dynamic to what we had known up until that point. Also, Levi is the GOAT.

Some questions:

Is this story finished in the Manga, is it the same story being told in the show mostly? Please only yes or no answers, want to follow thread rules.

What's with these concerns over a different studio making the final season?
It's still going. The anime is mostly faithful minus some omissions. WIT doesn't want to do it anymore unless they get a better contract.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I saw all of season 1 years ago (when it was still premiering) and am going to now watch the remaining two seasons on Funimation.

Would you guys recommend dub or sub? I generally prefer dubs for Anime because it lets me focus on the animation so long as the dub isn't like mediocre.