• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favourite moment of Season 3 part 2

• My soldiers, rage! My soldiers scream! My soldiers, fight!

Votes: 108 22.3%
  • Levi vs Beast Titan

Votes: 157 32.4%
  • Armin's sacrifice

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • Levi's choice

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Basement reveal (Marley, Titan history)

Votes: 95 19.6%
  • Shingeki no Kyojin

Votes: 19 3.9%
  • The sea

Votes: 26 5.4%

• Total voters

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 part 1 was absolutely shit. I'm not the biggest fan of anime outside of the classics but I had a soft spot for Attack on Titan S1/2. I was soo disappointed with 3.

I'll see how part 2 is when it's all out.
How can you possibly feel that way? The reception of the reworked uprising arc for the anime was pretty well-received if I remember correctly. What exactly was disappointing about it?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How can you possibly feel that way? The reception of the reworked uprising arc for the anime was pretty well-received if I remember correctly. What exactly was disappointing about it?
It being reworked doesn't matter if it's the first time someone's experiencing it. There were plenty of people who were underwhelmed and confused by part 1. I still haven't rewatched part 1 myself, but part 2 is way better already.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Confused? It's pretty basic stuff....
At the pace it was going at, it was more about all of these twists and turns happening at once and really a whole bunch of stuff going at once that didn't feel right. The magic titan acquiring powers injection conveniently literally rolling up to Eren was a sour point, and there was just a lot that felt rushed. You can see many users convey such feelings by going pages back and reading what people thought of S3.

Again, I've rewatched the seasons except for that one (and I tend to mostly rewatch 3.5 episodes after they air) and I don't even feel compelled to. I think I'll need to get a hold of the manga to revisit S3 because I heard that things feel more important and make more sense with its slower pace once it was all out, instead of the anime intentionally speeding through the material.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plus wtf is Kenny and why did they pull an antagonist out of their ass with zero set up.

Last run of episodes made a mess of the show's already-weak momentum.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
Plus wtf is Kenny and why did they pull an antagonist out of their ass with zero set up.

Last run of episodes made a mess of the show's already-weak momentum.
I think the manga showed Kenny a few times before he was formally introduced, whereas the anime wanted to rush to the Levi vs Kenny fight.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yonkous source is not really a good source though. WIT is killing themselves, but they were on train abroad for animating everything.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
At the pace it was going at, it was more about all of these twists and turns happening at once and really a whole bunch of stuff going at once that didn't feel right. The magic titan acquiring powers injection conveniently literally rolling up to Eren was a sour point, and there was just a lot that felt rushed. You can see many users convey such feelings by going pages back and reading what people thought of S3.

Again, I've rewatched the seasons except for that one (and I tend to mostly rewatch 3.5 episodes after they air) and I don't even feel compelled to. I think I'll need to get a hold of the manga to revisit S3 because I heard that things feel more important and make more sense with its slower pace once it was all out, instead of the anime intentionally speeding through the material.
For all the complaints about the pacing of the anime, it felt like it was mainly to address the complaints of the manga pacing going too slow. It's an arc that doesn't quite work with monthly chapter releases hence the reactions but reading through all at once, it flows fine and if the anime had adapted exactly as it was, giving the full details of everything, there wouldn't be an issue with the anime so they screwed itself out. Basically an intentionally slower arc became sped up at the detriment of details.

With the point about the bottle, I think it's minor issue that could be easily rectified as it's only really missing the bag being animated which historia brings up with her and the bottle rolling from it as a result of the turbulence but I guess it's the small lack of details like this that builds up where things don't quite make as sense.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think it lost some of its mystic/differentiation from "another action anime" when season 3 became more about human vs human drama.

I just didn't like it and it felt lacking compared to season 1/2. It wasn't really what I liked about Attack on Titan.

I've not read any manga, so it's not as if I know of any future pay-off for how part 1 was done.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've not read any manga, so it's not as if I know of any future pay-off for how part 1 was done.
I mean the only thing that can really be said is that humanity could not move forward with a government that was basically forcing them to live out their existence like cattle. Uprising arc is important for this one reason, beyond explaining a lot of key concepts like transferring shifter powers and the titan serums and such. It's an important arc in terms of world building and dynamic shifting.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the only thing that can really be said is that humanity could not move forward with a government that was basically forcing them to live out their existence like cattle. Uprising arc is important for this one reason, beyond explaining a lot of key concepts like transferring shifter powers and the titan serums and such. It's an important arc in terms of world building and dynamic shifting.

I don't doubt any of this, I just didn't find it as captivating as season 1/2.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I just watched last week episode and DAMN. We got Titans learning Japanese courtesy of Duolingo? Nothing is cooler than villains than are presented as evil and blantantly wrong getting character development. And move you towards wanting to know their motivation and their origins rather than just wanting them to die. Bert is growing up...for better or for worse lol. And I get Hange and her friends got vaporized... luckily I don't have to long until the next ep to find out

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Also Mikasa was like the Angel of Death for a second before Bert remembered the basics of CQC and clowned her ass.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
There are rumors that this is the last season Wit Studio still be working. Yonkou (reputable source) seems to confirm it.

lfyFHeG.png

QBfHSUk.png

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Erwin's speeches are always the best. Great character with actually a lot of depth to him. Crazy how the stakes were even more lopsided than last week's episode. Armin trying to delegate his duty because he doesn't know what to do. With everything happening, I was just thinking, "yeah, you guys are screwed."

Reiner came back and I had totally forgotten about him. Even if they kill the Beast Titan... it's not great. Colossal and Armored are still around, and everyone's pretty much dead, with the survivors tired and injured.

Bertholdt looking at Eren and just shrugging, and the fakeout of thinking Eren was pushing his leg when Bertholdt was just readying himself to kick were funnily dire moments.

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Bruh REINER WOKE UP. THEY ARE SO FUCKED. Bert beat their asses without lifting a finger. Literally the only way I think they're getting out of this is by escaping into the basement. Levi is probably gonna incapacitate the Beast Titan but not kill him. We still need answers from that dude

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Erwin's speeches are always the best. Great character with actually a lot of depth to him. Crazy how the stakes were even more lopsided than last week's episode. Armin trying to delegate his duty because he doesn't know what to do. With everything happening, I was just thinking, "yeah, you guys are screwed."

Reiner came back and I had totally forgotten about him. Even if they kill the Beast Titan... it's not great. Colossal and Armored are still around, and everyone's pretty much dead, with the survivors tired and injured.

Bertholdt looking at Eren and just shrugging, and the fakeout of thinking Eren was pushing his leg when Bertholdt was just readying himself to kick were funnily dire moments.
There was a terrifying human moment when Armin told Jean you're the leader now. Like he couldn't bear the weight of this L anymore. And now that Erwin is dead...he's the new leader of these people. Fuck...

lemonade

May 8, 2018
This show is the biggest cock tease of the century!

Didn't feel this way when I was binging but now it feels like every episode ends on a cliffhanger lol.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Okay absolutely amazing episode, was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I love Erwin and I really hope he lives to at least see whatever is in the basement! I thought his plan to take on the beast titan was going to be turning someone new into a titan, but I guess not... I'm actually surprised they're holding out so long before using it. If not this situation then when? At this point I can't see how they turn it around honestly! Taking down the Beast Titan would be a major win for them at least, but I don't think it'll be so easy. I'm actually really scared to see what happens next >_<

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, they really don't go into much detail about the reasons why, but it's pretty easy to guess from the title and bits like:

I can't fully rule out possibilities like controlled leaks to make producers panic and secure better conditions for further contracts – industry politics are wild after all.
WIT is a relatively small studio with poor management at the best of times
So, time and money.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay absolutely amazing episode, was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I love Erwin and I really hope he lives to at least see whatever is in the basement! I thought his plan to take on the beast titan was going to be turning someone new into a titan, but I guess not... I'm actually surprised they're holding out so long before using it. If not this situation then when? At this point I can't see how they turn it around honestly! Taking down the Beast Titan would be a major win for them at least, but I don't think it'll be so easy. I'm actually really scared to see what happens next >_<
Titan serum can only turn someone into a mindless titan. The circumstances to use that contingency plan have not been met because it would require them to have another shifter ready to consume(incapacitated and unable to turn into a titan again) in order to make one of their guys a shifter(aka a titan with consciousness). Also it's best used when someone is on the brink of death as it would regenerate their body and vitals.

So they could use it right now to turn one of their guys into a mindless titan right now but that would be pointless since it would just go after the scouts, mindlessly.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever made that intro song to season 3 is the real team needing never to work on this again.

Complete trash. I think that single handily set me up for not enjoying season 3 as much lmao.

Even though some parts of these were quite "anime", they were pretty good

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Titan serum can only turn someone into a mindless titan. The circumstances to use that contingency plan have not been met because it would require them to have another shifter ready to consume(incapacitated and unable to turn into a titan again) in order to make one of their guys a shifter(aka a titan with consciousness). Also it's best used when someone is on the brink of death as it would regenerate their body and vitals.

So they could use it right now to turn one of their guys into a mindless titan right now but that would be pointless since it would just go after the scouts, mindlessly.

Oh wow thanks for the explanation. Completely misunderstood it's use. Makes the situation at hand seem a lot more dire then... really excited to see how they manage to turn this around (if at all).

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode!

I find it amusing that Erwin is voiced by the same seiju as Jotaro, and The beast titan by the same seiju as Dio.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
Whoever made that intro song to season 3 is the real team needing never to work on this again.

Complete trash. I think that single handily set me up for not enjoying season 3 as much lmao.

Even though some parts of these were quite "anime", they were pretty good

Didn't like opening 4 at first either, but it's since grown on me a ton. It somehow went from generically cheesy to beautifully haunting.

The current one (opening 5) is actually my least favorite so far. The melody isn't distinct enough and very all over the place. And it's a little too derivitive of previous themes.

For me it's probably 1>3>4>2>5

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The scouts are basically dead now. They'll have to go all out with their marketing when the latest batch of piping hot cannon fodder comes out of the oven. Have Levi and Hange (in swimsuits) each accompanied by their personal harem. "You can, too!" and such.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow thanks for the explanation. Completely misunderstood it's use. Makes the situation at hand seem a lot more dire then... really excited to see how they manage to turn this around (if at all).
Sure! It took me awhile to understand when I read the manga as well, even though it's all been spelled out information-wise where we are in the story right now in the anime. It's truly a highlander type thing where the powers have to be transferred. It's why Rod had Eren tied up last season in the big crystal cavern. He was going to "titanize" Historia into a mindless and let her eat Eren to get the coordinate power back in their family. Mindless Historia would have become a titan shifter when she ate the tied-up Eren since he is a shifter.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
There are rumors that this is the last season Wit Studio still be working. Yonkou (reputable source) seems to confirm it.

This makes to much sense now. Season 3 being 2 parts instead of 2 seasons, WIT crunching like crazy, the budget cuts, animators struggling to finish Part 1's last episodes just days before release. At this rate I honestly wouldn't mind if the AOT anime ends with Season 3 (not a bad point to end when compared to other animes who don't get far enough). I think the following arc (even though its really good) would be too much of a weird shift in direction for the rest of the fanbase (though I think whats left of the fanbase wouldn't have problem with the following arc though).

Honestly, Production I.G will most likely finish the anime if Kodansha wants to continue it. They helped out on the anime and they also did Junior High. The dream would be MAD House coming in to finish it alongside Araki.

Last edited:
The future of Attack on Titan
OP
OP
PhantomKnight

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a summary of what's going on with Attack on Titan

What: Various people from Wit Studio have confirmed that this season of AOT will be the last one the studio will do. Do note that as of writing this hasn't been officially announced yet.

Why: There aren't any clear details, but guesses are that it's due to Wit Studio being a small studio, with poor management and AOT is a very demanding show, they don't want to work on it anymore. Plus the studio and particularly the director(Tesuro Araki) might want to focus on their own original show Kabenari, and they also have Vinland Saga next season.

What's next: The real answer is we don't know, but it is very likely that AOT will continue. Some blind guesses of which studio it could end up with are Mappa or Production I.G. The decision is entirely up to the production committee and what they want. One thing that is very clear is that no matter where it lands, a good team or a bad team, the next season of Attack on Titan will be very different from previous seasons.

For more detailed information please read this article.
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/05/19/attack-on-titan-at-its-wits-end/

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
At least this season is one for the history unless episodes 6-10 are truly badly adapted.

Today's episode was another 10/10.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent episode. That Erwin's speech was hype, despite we know most (if not all) those recruits will die. Seems Erwin also died too. Fucking cliffhanger. Situation is quite dire.

As for Wit, they did a good job. It will be sad that the next season won't be made by them, but if they believe they can't, then we should respect their decision.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man this show has such awful pacing. I bet you could trim the episode by 50% of its runtime and not lose anything of importance. I hope Blondie dies soon so I don't have to hear to any more of his interminable soliloquies. Shut up already.

Is this battle gonna be the entirety of the half season?

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Man this show has such awful pacing. I bet you could trim the episode by 50% of its runtime and not lose anything of importance. I hope Blondie dies soon so I don't have to hear to any more of his interminable soliloquies. Shut up already.

It's funny because these episodes are adapting like 2-2.5 chapters per. So the pacing is actually pretty good. Sure, if you are looking for nonstop action, the pacing can be seen as dire.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
That was another excellent episode.

I worry that WIT leaving this franchise will lead to a similar situation as OPM and Madhouse, where by just watching it one can tell that the animation work doesn't even touch the quality of the original studio. The plot is all there already thanks to the manga, but the animation even with its dips in quality here and there, when it matters it looks amazing.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

garbage take