• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favourite moment of Season 3 part 2

• My soldiers, rage! My soldiers scream! My soldiers, fight!

Votes: 108 22.3%
  • Levi vs Beast Titan

Votes: 157 32.4%
  • Armin's sacrifice

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • Levi's choice

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Basement reveal (Marley, Titan history)

Votes: 95 19.6%
  • Shingeki no Kyojin

Votes: 19 3.9%
  • The sea

Votes: 26 5.4%

• Total voters

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
It's a hard situation all around, because what they have done is virtually unthinkable and they're directly or indirectly responsible for the deaths of over 250,000 people.

But then you look at meek, low-profile Bert and can scarcely imagine how he's the giant monster from the beginning of the series which knocked down the walls and traumatized thousands of people forever.
and that's part of what makes him a 3 dimensional character.
You know what he's done but you look at him and you still can't believe it.
That's part of what made the reveal so amazing. You're hearing it but you're still not believing it. Some people even thought it was a mistake in the translation at first. Mostly everyone replayed that scene right after hearing it.

How could always worried looking Bert be responsible for something so devastating?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
None of you guys feel sorry for Berry and Reiner? :/
bu0TRd.gif

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the primary goal of those shows are to sell the source material? The thing is, they always have stuff like external marketing that is anime specific (for cafes, for department stores, etc.), and then there are the absurd home release prices.

Then there are anime original shows. I guess it makes sense that the motivation behind making an adaptation like that would be to sell the manga volumes for an ongoing work, but I guess what I'm thinking about is that they are surely thinking about how much money the anime itself can make as well.

I don't know enough the business behind licensing and how profit is generated in the anime industry.
Anime for the last decade or so is generally produced by a production committee consisting of (roughly): the manga publisher, a publisher for the anime, one or more animation studios, vocal talent agencies, music publisher, various toy/goods manufacturers. Sometimes these are all individual companies, sometimes they're a megacorporation that owns multiple parts (e.g. Sony, who may be the publisher, own the animation studio, and have a particular musical act they want to promote). They all put various amounts of money into making the show in exchange for certain rights - home video rights, choosing the music and artist for the OP/ED, merchandising, etc. Nearly all the things like café tie-ins, department stores, etc. are just advertisement and merchandising for the anime, which in turn is advertising for the source material.

Shirobako goes into some of this. If you haven't seen it, I recommend checking it out on Crunchyroll. It's an anime about how anime is made.

ANN Answerman has also covered related topics a few times:

Being A Member of a Production Committee
Who Actually "Owns" An Anime?
Why Does Unfinished Manga Get Adapted To Anime?

Sorry it's sort of a tangent, but I figured some of you all might find it interesting given the question came up.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the first ep and with hindsight of seasons two and three you really start asking some questions. This is a few years before they train so now I'm wondering how long Berry and Reiner had their shifting powers and who ordered this initial wall breech.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry it's sort of a tangent, but I figured some of you all might find it interesting given the question came up.
Thanks for the info. I have seen Shirobako, it's great. Though I don't think it went into this aspect of production too much (or it did and I forgot); I recall it being more about the original author's role when it comes to the anime staff's adaptation.

I'll need to read those links. The question I'd have if how much revenue is generated for an anime on its own relative to manga sales derived from that same anime.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info. I have seen Shirobako, it's great. Though I don't think it went into this aspect of production too much (or it did and I forgot); I recall it being more about the original author's role when it comes to the anime staff's adaptation.

I'll need to read those links. The question I'd have if how much revenue is generated for an anime on its own relative to manga sales derived from that same anime.
I'm pretty sure a lot of the revenue comes from blu ray and merchandising.
How long before the first episode?
I mean Mikasa and co are still at most 13 here and I just started ep 2. Somebody ordered these guys to breech the wall a reason.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure a lot of the revenue comes from blu ray and merchandising.
No, that's not what I mean. What was being said before is that the existence of anime adaptations is primarily to serve as advertisement for the manga. If that's the case, what I want to know is:

1. Revenue for the anime as a standalone work (Blu-ray/DVD sales, OST sales, merchandise, cafe/retail/promotional collaborations, etc.).
2. Revenue for the manga derived directly from the anime adaptation (manga volume sales, promotions and merchandise from the manga, etc.).

And compare the results of both.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think that Levi injected himself? He had the steam coming from the blood that Eren had during the first season.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think that Levi injected himself? He had the steam coming from the blood that Eren had during the first season.

Maybe Eren or Mikasa injected Levi. Say he was gravely injured, and going to die, so Eren or Mikasa injected him to save him even though he didn't want them to.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

It's a hard situation all around, because what they have done is virtually unthinkable and they're directly or indirectly responsible for the deaths of over 250,000 people.

But then you look at meek, low-profile Bert and can scarcely imagine how he's the giant monster from the beginning of the series which knocked down the walls and traumatized thousands of people forever.

They're responsible for the deaths of thousands of people. Can't forgive that even if they're remorseful about it.

A bit, but at this point they're not getting off the hook. If they did all of these horrible things just so they can go back to their hometown then no. If their hometown did this for some higher purpose, then maybe. We have no idea who/what/where/how is this hometown atm so, yea, torture it is.

How quickly do you all forget? Check this out. I believe that Berry and Reiner are being manipulated by some kinda force. They're just NOW messing around with Beast Titan and they look like they are forced to do whatever he has to say. They are pawns in a grand scheme of things.

Ya'll should feel bad for Berry and Reiner.

Don't forget!

N9MV8K.gif

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Wow, dat ending, wow! As an AoT fan I honestly expected them to ride off all hyped up for adventure then get squished by a giant foot 2 seconds later and shock everyone - that seems to be how the show goes lol. That tease was close enough.

I was literally shouting to my cat sitting next to me afterwards going "WHAT DOES IT MEAN, SAMUS?? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?" She didn't know either.

Count me in as someone who just figured it was a new character with Reiner. O_o

Sigh, time to go back into waiting mode again.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Has this season been any good? stopped watching after the first episode because I was lost as fuck and couldn't bother doing a recap

Oct 25, 2017
How quickly do you all forget? Check this out. I believe that Berry and Reiner are being manipulated by some kinda force. They're just NOW messing around with Beast Titan and they look like they are forced to do whatever he has to say. They are pawns in a grand scheme of things.

Don't forget!

N9MV8K.gif
This is why when I saw ep 1 last night my immediate thought was "Who ordered these two to attack the wall?"
I'm watching the first ep and with hindsight of seasons two and three you really start asking some questions. This is a few years before they train so now I'm wondering how long Berry and Reiner had their shifting powers and who ordered this initial wall breech.
See here. I'm assuming there's an answer this tucked away in the manga thread unless they didn't discuss this in the manga either.
Has this season been any good? stopped watching after the first episode because I was lost as fuck and couldn't bother doing a recap
The second ep was fucking lit.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...

Don't forget!

Pawns yea. But they also broke the wall a second time (Wall Rose). I can justify them breaking the first time to infiltrate and being young (not everyone is lucky like Grisha to be brought into the wall unreported). Did they have to 5 years later though? They're old enough to decide for themselves at this point.

There are so many possibilities regarding why they're doing this but they're just possibilities so no point considering them.

I do feel bad they have to follow ape titan though. You can tell from their hollow gaze in that end scene this season. I have a feeling ape is sent bc Ber/Re/An did nothing/did not return for 5 years. Ber/Re looked terrified from their reactions in Season 2.

Oct 25, 2017
If they're around Eren's age then they were just kids when they first attacked the wall... it would be hard to believe they masterminded the plan.
Exactly. That's why with immediate knowledge of what the Colossal Titan was and how Titan shifters work there was no way that it was just Bert and Reiner acting on their own. Which also makes me wonder how long the Beast Titan has been active and we still don't know what his agenda is. It's nothing but constant questions when you watch ep 1 with hindsight. For a minute I also thought Grisha being there was a hallucination since he's got to be dead in ep two when Eren wakes back up after that flashback.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
After watching that ending tease again,when Mikasa jumps onto Levi his body is emitting steam,so that must mean one thing. He must have injected the titan fluid in his body or most likely Eren/Mikasa did without his approval and that's why he's mad lol.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
https://youtu.be/z24ijLf93qQ
God, I miss this preview music.

Probably as far back when Ymir ate their friend. Remember, apparently you must eat a Shifter to take control of the Titan..."being".

...god, are Titans also separate beings? An sentient shell that needs the mind of another to activate? O_o

Exactly. That's why with immediate knowledge of what the Colossal Titan was and how Titan shifters work there was no way that it was just Bert and Reiner acting on their own. Which also makes me wonder how long the Beast Titan has been active and we still don't know what his agenda is. It's nothing but constant questions when you watch ep 1 with hindsight. For a minute I also thought Grisha being there was a hallucination since he's got to be dead in ep two when Eren wakes back up after that flashback.
That spat with the Beast makes it sound like something was coming for him...what if the Titans are actually trying to avoid whatever is out there.

After watching that ending tease again,when Mikasa jumps onto Levi his body is emitting steam,so that must mean one thing. He must have injected the titan fluid in his body or most likely Eren/Mikasa did without his approval and that's why he's mad lol.
Maybe Levi got Eren out of his Titan body somehow.

For a while, I was wondering someone from within wanted this to happen but there is a likelihood that there are multiple parties involved that don't have the best intentions and humanity behind the walls are in the crossfires. Despite taking down the corrupted government (that we know of), this is still a situation where anybody can be the enemy, motivations that we still don't know of, and that the only expectation to have is that anything is possible...the best the Scout Regiment can hope for is being able to conquer what can be because if they end up dealing with an unstoppable force...

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...

Eren was unconscious the first (few) time(s) he got out of a titan, and getting out involves eating a shifter + amnesia. Levi wouldn't be able to get mad right after lol.

Last edited:

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017

That,or just blood from random titans that he killed.
Not the first time we see him get drenched in blood and then starts to evaporate after some time.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably as far back when Ymir ate their friend. Remember, apparently you must eat a Shifter to take control of the Titan..."being".

...god, are Titans also separate beings? An sentient shell that needs the mind of another to activate? O_o

That spat with the Beast makes it sound like something was coming for him...what if the Titans are actually trying to avoid whatever is out there.
How many powers at play are out there? This really is questions the series. Also I really don't remember much about Ymir's plot that season. I saw it on the initial airing and pretty much have to go back and deal with that again. I remember snippets, but that's basically it.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
How many powers at play are out there? This really is questions the series. Also I really don't remember much about Ymir's plot that season. I saw it on the initial airing and pretty much have to go back and deal with that again. I remember snippets, but that's basically it.

Another question is what has happened to Annie? She was frozen at the end of season 1 and that's that?

Oct 27, 2017

Don't forget!

N9MV8K.gif

What about Annie? She's with them and she seemed to have great fun decimating the survey corps in the woods. She even went out of her way to torture them. Even if they're being manipulated, they should hold responsibility for their actions, they've caused a mass genocide on humanity.

OP
OP
PhantomKnight

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
The last episode had like 16 animation directors working on it. If the series didn't take a break, the next half would have turned out bad.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey, the vest best action animation cut in this series is even better on the BD:

https://twitter.com/Bloodyredstar/status/1053799196011257857

What is BD version? Bluray Disk?

You are both correct. Depending on how much the manga has left, WIT can continue making at least 12 episodes per year without having to take very lengthy breaks to catch up with the manga.
Who knows, maybe the second half is 15 episodes next year. :)

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Levi is never going to tell Mikasa that..

they're related, is he?

*sigh*

What a prick.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they talk about it in the carriage during the Reiss titan attack?
They talk about Kenny as an Ackermann and their strength but thats about it.

Don't think even Levi knew at that point since he seemed shocked when Kenny told him. Though not finding out what his last name is from his mother at any point before seems kind of...weird.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
i started watching AoT Junior High to satisfy my fix. it works well enough. thanks for the recs in this thread.

Oct 27, 2017
No need to spoiler tag, it happened in the anime. Levi implicitly told Mikasa they're related when they talked about their acker-power awakening moments and he confessed he had that moment too. It might not have been that obvious, but I think it's common knowledge now that they're (distantly) related as part of the Ackerman family.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
No need to spoiler tag, it happened in the anime. Levi implicitly told Mikasa they're related when they talked about their acker-power awakening moments and he confessed he had that moment too. It might not have been that obvious, but I think it's common knowledge now that they're (distantly) related as part of the Ackerman family.

Yep.

These two characters aren't ones who'd go hug each other and shed tears of joy, afterward.