• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favourite moment of Season 3 part 2

• My soldiers, rage! My soldiers scream! My soldiers, fight!

Votes: 108 22.3%
  • Levi vs Beast Titan

Votes: 157 32.4%
  • Armin's sacrifice

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • Levi's choice

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Basement reveal (Marley, Titan history)

Votes: 95 19.6%
  • Shingeki no Kyojin

Votes: 19 3.9%
  • The sea

Votes: 26 5.4%

• Total voters

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
God damn AoT has been killing it this season. The blood mists during the carnage... SOOO GOOD! Just one of the many things that you can only appreciate in anime form and not in manga form.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the manga showed Kenny a few times before he was formally introduced, whereas the anime wanted to rush to the Levi vs Kenny fight.

I don't think Kenny was shown anywhere before the infamous KENNYYY scene (rooftop / bar chase) in the manga too. As far as I've heard, the mangaka was drawing these chapters at the time season 1 came out and aot blew in popularity with Levi as a fan favorite character, so rumors said he was kinda pushed to put Levi and his backstory more into the spotlight. Could be wrong tho.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That red mist was kind of distracting tbh.

I'm always a sucker for a good hopeless charge / noble sacrifice tho. Good speech even if it's well-worn ground for AoT.

Erwin gets me. I feel like I, too, will perish before getting to the damn basement.
In the manga this is very much a meta-moment intended to make you emphasize with him because the reader really wants to see the basement as well. It doesn't translate quite that way in the anime but it's still effective.

There's one more of these way way way deeper in the series and it too is incredible. (and shouldn't suffer from being lost in translation.)

MOD EDIT: Please follow the thread's own rules and respect fellow users who may not want to learn any information whatsoever about the manga.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plot armor is when they shouldn't have survived, but still did without a real reason. Here there is a reasonable explanation.

Nah. The explanation for her survival isn't "real." Why'd the missiles get blown back farther than Mikasa? It's not a decision she made. And she's never going to reflect on the dumb luck that preserved her.

It's just a convenient way for a plot character to survive something that could just as reasonably have killed a non-plot character.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. The explanation for her survival isn't "real." Why'd the missiles get blown back farther than Mikasa? It's not a decision she made. And she's never going to reflect on the dumb luck that preserved her.

It's just a convenient way for a plot character to survive something that could just as reasonably have killed a non-plot character.
They show her anchors blowing off way later than the missiles being blown back. Which makes total sense as the missiles weren't attached to anything while she was anchored to the Collosal.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't really get where you're coming from. The thunderspears are most likely lighter than her with full ODM gear on so they would of course be blown back further than her after she detached them. Then they are only held to the user by a thin string once detached has maybe a 1 second timer before detonation giving it even more time to travel further than her. Plus the explosion isn't even that big.

I'm not seeing a situation where she SHOULD have died or hurt more in this situation. Certainly not a reasonable case for "plot armor".

Oct 27, 2017

If by "convenient way" you mean physics, sure.

There are far more egregious asspulls in the show than this though, most recently Reiner transmitting his consciousness to his body and then to his titan's brain to avoid two instances of certain death, and both of them had to be explained after the fact instead of being chalked up to "shifiters are virtually unkillable", which most people would have been fine with.

This is nowhere near that level of plot armor and is pretty odd to be regarded as such, they didnt show the thuder spears exploding right in her face for example.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mikasa rushed a murder mountain with no plan. She suffered zero consequences by pure luck. She didn't demonstrate any virtue or acknowledge her dumb luck as luck. Whatever contrivances enabled that are plot armor. Especially in the context of apparently a billion grunts getting turned into mist like a hundred feet away.

It's fine. Whatever. It doesn't invalidate the story. Lots of stories are contrived for dramatic effect.

This started because mitsune breathlessly bought into a goofy contrivance instead of recognizing it as a contrivance.

most recently Reiner transmitting his consciousness to his body and then to his titan's brain to avoid two instances of certain death, and both of them had to be explained after the fact

I agree, that was nonsense.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Mikasa rushed a murder mountain with no plan. She suffered zero consequences by pure luck. She didn't demonstrate any virtue or acknowledge her dumb luck as luck.

That is fine, because it wasn't her moment to learn. This is Armin's battle strategy, he is the one that needs to learn. Mikasa is the red shirt in his plan. She didn't care, she trusted her friend, he is the one that needs to learn from this.

Whatever contrivances enabled that are plot armor. Especially in the context of apparently a billion grunts getting turned into mist like a hundred feet away

It is okay to recognize you are wrong when the show literally showed why something happened.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole thing with red shirts is they die...?

It is okay to recognize you are wrong when the show literally showed why something happened.

You're not carrying this through to the conclusion. The only reason "why" anything happens is because it's written to happen that way.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not feeling too bad with WIT leave AOT tbh. They reach its peak on season 1. Season 2 already show how unstable they are and now with season 3 having to split into 2. Only some episodes have great directing while the rest is merely up there thx to the original assets. Only important episodes get good animation. It is good that they it end it right here cause as manga reader the show really change at this point too ( not for the better or worse ).

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the preview... they showed Levi launching himself at Beast Titan...

Yeah ..uhhh... he's doomed. I don't know how he's gonna live. I might change into a Levi avatar.
Hey remember he was able to incapacitate the Female Titan in mere seconds. He's like a whirling spin blade when he gets going. Not to mention the Beast Titan is somewhat like the Colossal Titan in that he has big, awkward arms and they explained in season 2 that the Colossal wasn't an immediate threat to the scouts up close because he was so slow. Not saying the Beast Titan isn't scarier or faster but notice how each time we have seen him assault the scouts it has been from a distance. It's honestly hard to imagine him fighting up close since he only throws shit with his big whip-like arms. This is freaking Levi we are talking about he's gotta do -something- to make this sacrifice worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey remember he was able to incapacitate the Female Titan in mere seconds. He's like a whirling spin blade when he gets going. Not to mention the Beast Titan is somewhat like the Colossal Titan in that he has big, awkward arms and they explained in season 2 that the Colossal wasn't an immediate threat to the scouts up close because he was so slow. Not saying the Beast Titan isn't scarier or faster but notice how each time we have seen him assault the scouts it has been from a distance. It's honestly hard to imagine him fighting up close since he only throws shit with his big whip-like arms. This is freaking Levi we are talking about he's gotta do -something- to make this sacrifice worth it.
Beast Titan never learned the basics of CQC, which is interesting considering how he trashed Reiner in season 2.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Reiner jobbed to make the Beast Titan scarier.
It's also quite possible it was a very one-sided beat down purely because of Reiner's poor mental state. The whole reason the Beasty did that to him was because Reiner's motivations were wavering after spending so much time within the walls, to the point where it kind of broke him. Beast Titan seems far more dedicated to their cause and so he probably had the full force of his convictions with him in that battle with Reiner only fighting half-ass in an unsure state. If Reiner were to truly rebel against the Beast Titan then who knows how it could go differently. As far as I know they are pretty similar in their titan size, but obviously the Beast throwing rocks could probably strip Reiner's armor pretty handily so he'd just have to not hesitate.

Oct 25, 2017
It's also quite possible it was a very one-sided beat down purely because of Reiner's poor mental state. The whole reason the Beasty did that to him was because Reiner's motivations were wavering after spending so much time within the walls, to the point where it kind of broke him. Beast Titan seems far more dedicated to their cause and so he probably had the full force of his convictions with him in that battle with Reiner only fighting half-ass in an unsure state. If Reiner were to truly rebel against the Beast Titan then who knows how it could go differently. As far as I know they are pretty similar in their titan size, but obviously the Beast throwing rocks could probably strip Reiner's armor pretty handily so he'd just have to not hesitate.
Dude's head space was so fucked he had two personalities floating around in there.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Apologies for asking here instead of finding the answer myself because I'm not up to date and am trying to avoid having anything spoiled for me (which includes reading the OP because I've not seen any of S3). My understanding is that part 2 of season 3 only just started this month, how many episodes is it/how many until it's finished? By the time I've finished off S2 I imagine it'll be nearly done so I'd prefer to just wait and watch it all together rather than having to wait for the few remaining episodes.

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for asking here instead of finding the answer myself because I'm not up to date and am trying to avoid having anything spoiled for me (which includes reading the OP because I've not seen any of S3). My understanding is that part 2 of season 3 only just started this month, how many episodes is it/how many until it's finished? By the time I've finished off S2 I imagine it'll be nearly done so I'd prefer to just wait and watch it all together rather than having to wait for the few remaining episodes.

Thanks.
We are at I believe 4/10 eps.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
For a minute there, I thought Erwin's crazy plan was going to work. He made a hell of a speech and everything. Instead, we got this:

latest

:(

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Why did none of the dudes faced with death just abandon the horses and scale the wall? I'd rather starve than get ripped to shreds.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Could have just used the flares to provide cover while going up the wall like they did when they charged the Beast Titan.
What's the point in going up the wall at this point? Their goal isn't to prolong the inevitable. There's trouble going on on both sides; they can't ignore one and try to run for the other. And, again, no horses means everyone is dying right there anyways.

An idea that came to mind when I was sleeping that I'll spoiler because I like it a lot and feels like something they could do:
I wonder if they could have someone find a way to go inside the Colossal Titan (through the mouth?) and blow up Bertholdt using the thunder spears from the inside out. He's huge, so there'd be a lot of space to move around, and there'd be no hot steam to deal with. It's not like he'd have any defenses from the inside.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
After 50+ episodes I doubt a satisfactory explanation will be found in that basement.

The biggest plot armor so far: The female titan turning into ice so the plot cant move forward.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All these people 1) lived their lives cowering inside a damn wall and 2) went through military training. Most of them don't even contemplate that not following orders is an option.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
What's the point in going up the wall at this point? Their goal isn't to prolong the inevitable. There's trouble going on on both sides; they can't ignore one and try to run for the other. And, again, no horses means everyone is dying right there anyways.

An idea that came to mind when I was sleeping that I'll spoiler because I like it a lot and feels like something they could do:
I wonder if they could have someone find a way to go inside the Colossal Titan (through the mouth?) and blow up Bertholdt using the thunder spears from the inside out. He's huge, so there'd be a lot of space to move around, and there'd be no hot steam to deal with. It's not like he'd have any defenses from the inside.
So same/ similar plan as Rod Reiss Titan? I feel like it's still gonna be super hot inside from the colossal's muscles burning and it'll be hard to escape after killing Bert.

Another potential but unrealistic plan is have someone use Titan serum and have Eren control him/her. It depends on how strong this mindless Titan is though and the extent to which Eren is able to utilize the coordinate powers.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So same/ similar plan as Rod Reiss Titan? I feel like it's still gonna be super hot inside from the colossal's muscles burning and it'll be hard to escape after killing Bert.

Another potential but unrealistic plan is have someone use Titan serum and have Eren control him/her. It depends on how strong this mindless Titan is though and the extent to which Eren is able to utilize the coordinate powers.
Of course, that's right, the heat would still be an issue. Scratch that, then.