• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Finally all caught up. Good Lord. This series goes places. Just what is going on!?!? I love the mystery and how there's like 10000 factions fighting amongst themselves.

I was also happy to see how much effect Sasha's death had on many of the characters. I initially assumed she was killed for shock value but her death was meaningful. I wasnt expecting all those chapters about her.

There's no way this series is ending anytime in the next 2 years.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally all caught up. Good Lord. This series goes places. Just what is going on!?!? I love the mystery and how there's like 10000 factions fighting amongst themselves.

I was also happy to see how much effect Sasha's death had on many of the characters. I initially assumed she was killed for shock value but her death was meaningful. I wasnt expecting all those chapters about her.

There's no way this series is ending anytime in the next 2 years.
That chef was fucking mad.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
592e3aV.png

WTj2ctf.png

Man This fucking blew my mind and I wouldn't have caught if not for my latest rewatch. Shout out to my dude on reddit for these screen grabs. Yeah this pretty much puts me on Eren's side completely because he is carrying out some Mission for Ymir.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot about the Owl dropping Mikasa and Armin's name like that, goddamn what a way to end a crazy episode.

Also the anime mentioned P A T H S

Edit: Okay I'm not crazy. They skipped ahead and showed Galliard in Historia's P A T H S scene. These assholes lol

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Moreover, that scene was not in the manga (Historia touching the papers and getting paths'd). I wonder if this is a subtle clue about upcoming manga stuff or it's just because Historia is a royal. How could she have access to those memories?

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
it made no sense in regards to anything we've seen in the manga so far.
and of course, she saw Ymir about to be eaten (which is shown in the manga, just not in this way) and that's really strange.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Moreover, that scene was not in the manga (Historia touching the papers and getting paths'd). I wonder if this is a subtle clue about upcoming manga stuff or it's just because Historia is a royal. How could she have access to those memories?

P A T H S
A
T
H
S

I saw people on other sites mention that maybe Ymir put some of her blood on the letter, which...sure? But that would mean those two touching would trigger all those memories right?

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
P A T H S
A
T
H
S

I saw people on other sites mention that maybe Ymir put some of her blood on the letter, which...sure? But that would mean those two touching would trigger all those memories right?
i thought that kind of memory/path stuff is only triggered if the founding titan makes contact with a subject of Ymir?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i thought that kind of memory/path stuff is only triggered if the founding titan makes contact with a subject of Ymir?

I'm sure there's all sorts of Royal Blood loopholes out there. Porco's probably a dead man next chapter.

Really neat of them to throw something in there to fuck with the manga readers though.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
My interpretation of the title of the show 'Attack on Titan' can't be revealed in the anime thread until the Marley arc.

I think it means to attack a higher power. Paradis fighting back against Marley when Eren decides to invade.
An Attack on Marley.

has Isayama actually explained the title?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My interpretation of the title of the show 'Attack on Titan' can't be revealed in the anime thread until the Marley arc.

I think it means to attack a higher power. Paradis fighting back against Marley when Eren decides to invade.
An Attack on Marley.

has Isayama actually explained the title?

He knew the name would translate weird so he kept what sounded cool.

I mean, he named Sasha after Sacha Baron Cohen, so I could see it.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Historia's weird psychometry powers are the same as Eren's berserk mode from the end of season 1: just pretend that didn't happen.
I imagine the TV staff thought they could do that because of that scene where Historia got some of her memories back by touching Eren, but guys... she's of royal blood and she was touching the person who had the Founding Titan and the memories of her half-sister. Here? It's a fucking piece of paper.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder why Mikasa says "see you later, Eren" in the future.

Does she leave to go to Hizuru?
Does Eren die after his 13 years are up and is this how Mikasa says goodbye?
Does he survive and will she actually see him later?

Hmmm

AC850-FD4-391-F-4215-B84-D-0673-DE08-DF23.jpg

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Calm the hell down in the anime thread, y'all. Even the mods are getting pissed now.

As for the latest episode, I always thought it was some weird time travel shenanigans with the two Erens, but considering what they added with Ymir/Historia, I'm just going to go with paths can go forward and backward in time.

Does she leave to go to Hizuru?
Does Eren die after his 13 years are up and is this how Mikasa says goodbye?
Does he survive and will she actually see him later?

Hmmm

AC850-FD4-391-F-4215-B84-D-0673-DE08-DF23.jpg
This was back before the author decided to change the ending, so who know if it's still applicable. If it's still applicable, then it is probably before she peaces out. Then again, she already left her scarf behind, so who knows. Maybe future Eren will give it back to her again.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
And considering the hair length and the scarf, that can't be happening any time soon either...

I've seen an amusing theory on a Japanese site: that's not future Mikasa talking to future Eren, but rather a young Kiyomi talking to a young (Eren) Kruger.
Not really buying it (unless Kiyomi used to look/sound enough like Mikasa for Eren to be confused), but it's an idea. Based on Grisha's interrogation scene, we know the Owl was in contact with an Eastern enemy nation (Hizuru?), and among the documents he provided to the restorationists was a scroll (from Japan-like Hizuru?).

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Historia eventually inheriting the Jaw Titan isn't out of the question despite the current circumstances.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Historia eventually inheriting the Jaw Titan isn't out of the question despite the current circumstances.

I don't know. There's the whole being pregnant thing...

Porco meeting Historia would be a hell of a meeting though considering Ymir's memories

Edit: Damn, they have a lot of time to fill for one chapter next week. I'm pretty damn excited to see what they end up doing.

Also, I think the anime scene added with Historia and the letter makes more sense now considering the next episode. They never really outright say it but Historia must see the same thing Eren did when he touches her hand, right?

Last edited:

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
They never really outright say it but Historia must see the same thing Eren did when he touches her hand, right?
I see no reason to believe she does.
After Eren saw flashes of his father's last day, it looked like Historia still had no idea Frieda got attacked along with the rest of her family until Rod told her.
And when Eren touched her hand at the end of volume 22 and saw one more flash of his father pleading to Frieda, she seemed exactly as puzzled by Eren just freezing like that as anybody else in the room.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see no reason to believe she does.
After Eren saw flashes of his father's last day, it looked like Historia still had no idea Frieda got attacked along with the rest of her family until Rod told her.
And when Eren touched her hand at the end of volume 22 and saw one more flash of his father pleading to Frieda, she seemed exactly as puzzled by Eren just freezing like that as anybody else in the room.

That's why I'm wondering if there will be more to it next episode.

The weird shit with PATHS and the letter have my thinking all messed up, if it actually has meaning or just some weird liberty they took with the anime

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
abnormals have yet to be explained, right?
we don't know how most of them became that way, we just know why they're considered different than the others.
like, did they only get half a syringe? more than a full syringe? lol
have they been titans for a long ass time?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the manga readers kind of brought it down upon themselves. There's discussion, then there's hinting, then there's flat out stating future plot lines, all of which were happening in that thread.
I hinted and discussed though I was probably too premature with the Dina Fritz stuff. I might just keep it at mostly shit posting.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the manga readers kind of brought it down upon themselves. There's discussion, then there's hinting, then there's flat out stating future plot lines, all of which were happening in that thread.

Agreed. It was slowly getting closer and closer to the line and then it just went full on insane.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
The Azumabito clan / Hizuru want to shelter Mikasa because she's half Hizuru (Asian) from her mother's side. It has nothing to do with her being an Ackermann, which is why they do not care about Levi.
I know I already mentioned that theory of mine a while ago, but I still think there is a lot more to Mikasa than we've been led to believe, and that her being the child of an Ackerman and an Azumabito is actually extremely important.

I think there's a good chance the characters will find out that Eren can only activate the power of the Coordinate while in direct contact with a Titan with royal blood (that would be Zeke, right now). That the power stops working right away when said contact ceases.
And I think Armin will be there to see that, and will do what he does best, that is to say, connect the dots.

How come Eren could still use the power of the Coordinate for hours after he punched Dina's palm? We simply assumed it was some kind of lingering effect, but if there's no such thing, why?
Who was Eren in contact with when he sent those Pure Titans after Reiner and Bertolt?
Who was Eren in contact with when the scouts were on their way back to Wall Rose and the Pure Titans kept ignoring them to go after Reiner and Bertolt?

I think Isayama didn't have Mikasa get hurt just to raise the stakes during that sequence: it was so Eren would then have to carry her, and so they would ride on the same horse on their way back.

"But Mikasa isn't a Titan with royal blood!"

We've been specifically told that the Ackermans are a by-product of Titan science, and that some of them (like Mikasa, Levi or Kenny) experience an awakening that allows them to use the power of the Titans even in human form.
So that's one half of the equation taken care of already.

As for the other half...
Kiyomi told us that over 100 years ago, Erdia and Hizuru were allies. That the son of Hizuru's shôgun used to have "a close relationship" with the Fritz royal family. That although she didn't really know the exact details because of the chaos caused by the Titan War, his descendants remained on Paradis island following said war.
And you know how countries used to form alliances back in the day, right?
I'm thinking the Azumabitos that remained within the walls had Fritz/royal blood. They were a separate royal bloodline (which might also explain why they were persecuted to near-extinction in later years, in fact?).
(Also, I'm not so sure Kiyomi is being truthful when she claims not to know why those Azumabitos stayed on Paradis island after the war... We know she desperately needs the Rumbling. And if Mikasa has royal blood, it's no wonder Kiyomi cares so much about her survival and instructs her to "escape on their ship at once should anything happen": she is a spare key to the Rumbling that no one else knows about.)

So... yeah. That would do the trick.
Eren wanted another way to protect Erdia that wouldn't involve turning Historia or her children into Titans, and there it is.

Perhaps not so coincidentally, a while ago, Isayama answered what, at first glance, looked like a purely theoretical reader question:
Q: If someone had both royal and Ackerman blood, which side would manifest?
A: I'd say both sides would.

Anyway.

Armin was right there when Eren used the Coordinate while in contact with Mikasa.
He was right there when Kiyomi gave us that short history lesson about Erdia and Hizuru.
He was right there when Eren said the Ackermans could tap into the power of the Titans.
And he's right there now that Eren and Zeke are about to finally use the power of the Coordinate.
He could connect all the dots.

That would give Armin something to do.
That would give extra meaning to Eren and Mikasa's relationship.
Basically, the original trio would be front and center for the end game of the series.

Prove me wrong!

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Was it ever explained how Marley got control of 7 of the 9 titans during the Titan War 100 years ago, especially if only Eldians can be the only ones to possess them?

That chef was fucking mad.

He's great. I really thought he would turn heel but he ended up protecting our gang. I love everything about Gabi and Falco's storyline so far and how they crossed paths with Sasha's parents.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Was it ever explained how Marley got control of 7 of the 9 titans during the Titan War 100 years ago, especially if only Eldians can be the only ones to possess them?

Ga

He's great. I really thought he would turn heel but he ended up protecting our gang. I love everything about Gabi and Falco's storyline so far and how they crossed paths with Sasha's parents.
Rabbi better not get comfy because sasha little sistet wouldnt hesitate to put a bullet in hwr head.

Oct 25, 2017
I love how I straight up tell the anime thread twice that Reiner's been a head case since ep 2 and nobody mentions it. You don't even need manga knowledge to notice this either, I just recognized speech patterns and tone inflection.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't even made the connection because I'm an idiot, but Annie's cocoon is totally linked to the long-distance Titan ability the Warhammer used, right? She was just never in a position to leverage that part of it in an open plain or when ambushed. I wonder whose ability it actually is. (I don't think we've seen Eren use it yet, right? That would suggest it's Annie's if so.)

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see how the dub is gonna handle the title drop.

Probably just call Eren's titan the Attack Titan.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Eren should nutcracker Annie and give the juice to someone else. Out of all of the badass, memorable moments of this series, the nutcracker scene is top 5. Maybe top 3. I was fucking howling when I read that chapter and I can't wait to see it animated and peoples reactions to it lol.

God, if this series doesn't completely fall apart, it might dethrone FMA and become my favorite manga of all time. It's remarkable how it's sustained the upward trajectory since the retaking of Shiganshina arc.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So disappointed manga readers quickly shut down that person thinking they saw the true identity of the donkey titan.

Oct 25, 2017
So disappointed manga readers quickly shut down that person thinking they saw the true identity of the donkey titan.
Bert is the donkey titan and the colossal titan. The theory of that not being Bert has been around since that ep aired. I'm actually in that thread at times making sure I don't use gendered pronouns for the Cart Titan or even calling it the Cart Titan.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I just started randomly wondering again how hardening power manifests differently. Annie uses crystal instead of stone/bone-like material like Eren/Reiner. The Warhammer uses crystal encasement too but I don't know if her weapons were crystal or stone.

Jaw brothers look bone like.(Saying this I'm guessing that ability isn't natural since Ymir had no armor over her face/hands)

Zeke had crystal armor he was about to use before getting Levi'd.

Pieck should have it, don't see why she wouldn't but we've never seen it to my knowledge.

We know colossals can use armor since that's what the wall titans are but Bert didn't seem to have it.(I can't see why Marley wouldn't give him such a powerful ability) Does hardening manifest as steam in the colossal? Can only the slightly smaller wall titans controlled by the founding titan use proper hardening for some reason?

None of this means anything, I'm just bored.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just started randomly wondering again how hardening power manifests differently. Annie uses crystal instead of stone/bone-like material like Eren/Reiner. The Warhammer uses crystal encasement too but I don't know if her weapons were crystal or stone.

Jaw brothers look bone like.(Saying this I'm guessing that ability isn't natural since Ymir had no armor over her face/hands)

Zeke had crystal armor he was about to use before getting Levi'd.

Pieck should have it, don't see why she wouldn't but we've seen it to my knowledge.

We know colossals can use armor since that's what the wall titans are but Bert didn't seem to have it.(I can't see why Marley wouldn't give him such a powerful ability) Does hardening manifest as steam in the colossal? Can only the slightly smaller wall titans controlled by the founding titan use proper hardening for some reason?

None of this means anything, I'm just bored.

While reading it I thought Warhammer was basically the goddamn Fullmetal Alchemist, just making weapons out of whatever she was touching.

I want to see Eren making steel weapons somehow.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Still one of the funniest scenes in SnK history.
It wouldn't be nearly as funny if it was anyone else but Mikasa
A0-AD684-A-116-C-4-F74-B6-E6-9-D8-E9-E108-BCC.jpg

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't even made the connection because I'm an idiot, but Annie's cocoon is totally linked to the long-distance Titan ability the Warhammer used, right? She was just never in a position to leverage that part of it in an open plain or when ambushed. I wonder whose ability it actually is. (I don't think we've seen Eren use it yet, right? That would suggest it's Annie's if so.)
It doesn't suit the style of the female Titans power while it fits perfectly with the Warhammer and its long distance thing. It is stupid to use with the jaw in play as you are defenseless.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
I know I already mentioned that theory of mine a while ago, but I still think there is a lot more to Mikasa than we've been led to believe, and that her being the child of an Ackerman and an Azumabito is actually extremely important.

I think there's a good chance the characters will find out that Eren can only activate the power of the Coordinate while in direct contact with a Titan with royal blood (that would be Zeke, right now). That the power stops working right away when said contact ceases.
And I think Armin will be there to see that, and will do what he does best, that is to say, connect the dots.

How come Eren could still use the power of the Coordinate for hours after he punched Dina's palm? We simply assumed it was some kind of lingering effect, but if there's no such thing, why?
Who was Eren in contact with when he sent those Pure Titans after Reiner and Bertolt?
Who was Eren in contact with when the scouts were on their way back to Wall Rose and the Pure Titans kept ignoring them to go after Reiner and Bertolt?

I think Isayama didn't have Mikasa get hurt just to raise the stakes during that sequence: it was so Eren would then have to carry her, and so they would ride on the same horse on their way back.

"But Mikasa isn't a Titan with royal blood!"

We've been specifically told that the Ackermans are a by-product of Titan science, and that some of them (like Mikasa, Levi or Kenny) experience an awakening that allows them to use the power of the Titans even in human form.
So that's one half of the equation taken care of already.

As for the other half...
Kiyomi told us that over 100 years ago, Erdia and Hizuru were allies. That the son of Hizuru's shôgun used to have "a close relationship" with the Fritz royal family. That although she didn't really know the exact details because of the chaos caused by the Titan War, his descendants remained on Paradis island following said war.
And you know how countries used to form alliances back in the day, right?
I'm thinking the Azumabitos that remained within the walls had Fritz/royal blood. They were a separate royal bloodline (which might also explain why they were persecuted to near-extinction in later years, in fact?).
(Also, I'm not so sure Kiyomi is being truthful when she claims not to know why those Azumabitos stayed on Paradis island after the war... We know she desperately needs the Rumbling. And if Mikasa has royal blood, it's no wonder Kiyomi cares so much about her survival and instructs her to "escape on their ship at once should anything happen": she is a spare key to the Rumbling that no one else knows about.)

So... yeah. That would do the trick.
Eren wanted another way to protect Erdia that wouldn't involve turning Historia or her children into Titans, and there it is.

Perhaps not so coincidentally, a while ago, Isayama answered what, at first glance, looked like a purely theoretical reader question:
Q: If someone had both royal and Ackerman blood, which side would manifest?
A: I'd say both sides would.

Anyway.

Armin was right there when Eren used the Coordinate while in contact with Mikasa.
He was right there when Kiyomi gave us that short history lesson about Erdia and Hizuru.
He was right there when Eren said the Ackermans could tap into the power of the Titans.
And he's right there now that Eren and Zeke are about to finally use the power of the Coordinate.
He could connect all the dots.

That would give Armin something to do.
That would give extra meaning to Eren and Mikasa's relationship.
Basically, the original trio would be front and center for the end game of the series.

Prove me wrong!
This is damn good. It's a possibilty I never even considered, but I think it makes enough sense.

I've always been waiting for the other shoe to drop about the relevacy of Mikasa's heritage. And having to witness Armin be a shell of his former cunning-strategist self has been painful. But the scenario you proposed would return the main 3 to the forefront in a very clever and compelling way.

So yeah, thumbs up! Gives me something to think about for sure.