• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen MHA or Jojo, but I think what makes AoT particularly touchy when it comes to spoilers is that cast characters actually die.

Most villains in animes eventually meet their demise, but many good guys die in AoT, so that causes people to especially not want to be clued into wtf is going to happen.

And it will only get touchier now that Erwin is dead. A character whom many in the anime thread deemed was covered in plot armor

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I haven't seen MHA or Jojo, but I think what makes AoT particularly touchy when it comes to spoilers is that cast characters actually die.

Most villains in animes eventually meet their demise, but many good guys die in AoT, so that causes people to especially not want to be clued into wtf is going to happen.

And it will only get touchier now that Erwin is dead. A character whom many in the anime thread deemed was covered in plot armor

Isayama does an excellent job at framing some of the antagonists with sympathetic characteristics. Bertholdt's death was a way of showing punishment for breaking that wall but even the Survey Corps weren't gloating over that; he was just a soldier following orders for Marley.

My favorite theme of this series is pointing out how succeeding generations shouldn't be held accountable for the sins of their predecessors.

Oct 25, 2017

Jojo is the same way though I do my best to not say who is and isn't safe. Also Dragoon needs an attitude adjustment. I have never dealt with a fanbase this fucking touchy. It's turning into what GOT devolved into as the series was ending which is why I never did much interacting with them.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Regarding the latest chapter, I'm 90% sure Eren fully intents to go Full Rumbling and annihilate everything that is not Paradis. I always suspected that when he claimed to Reiner he wouldn't rest until all his enemies are destroyed, but Armin's ocean flashback sealed the deal for me, in which Eren asked if he killed everyone in the side of the ocean, they would be free. I can't see any other reason for him to alienate Armin and Mikasa besides knowing that they could never possibly agree with genociding the entire world.

I'm honestly wary about any theory that Eren's goal is about unifying 9 titans to end the curse or something like that. Nothing indicated that there is documented way to end the Titan's curse that, somehow, Eren, and only him, got access. Eren's actions also does not match someone wanting to obtain all 9 shifters into himself. If a scenario like this plays out, it won't have been planned by Eren and may even happen by accident.

Oct 27, 2017
Only Sasha has actually died as far as main characters go since Erwin's death tho, everyone else was pretty much a no-name red shirt (it's really obvious Udo and Zofia existed and were given zero focus just to be killed off quickly). Let's see if anything changes next chapter

Oct 25, 2017
Only Sasha has actually died as far as main characters go since Erwin's death tho, everyone else was pretty much a no-name red shirt (it's really obvious Udo and Zofia existed and were given zero focus just to be killed off quickly). Let's see if anything changes next chapter
Still waiting on Gabi, Falco, Jaws Titan guy, Levi, Reiner, Jean and Connie. Zeke's not even a question because his death is eventual in my opinion, but the other listed people would make sense for a death.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
damn, why you gotta do Ymir like that tho. you know people are about to cry when they see that onscreen right?

Oct 27, 2017
damn, why you gotta do Ymir like that tho. you know people are about to cry when they see that onscreen right?

Right. Her death was handled in such a way though (off-screen and in a flashback) that it barely registered, I had just assumed she was already dead by that point.

Anime-onlies aren't gonna see that flashback until season 4 so hopefully they won't forget

Oct 25, 2017
You know...I had no idea that mentioning that the dude that Ymir ate being on the same side as Bert, Reiner and Annie would count as a spoiler. i guess it can't be inferred that all of those shifters were on the same side even though all of them know each other would not be pretty much inferred knowledge at this point.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I mean I thought that was pretty clearly telegraphed but whatever, let them have their fun

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I thought that was pretty clearly telegraphed but whatever, let them have their fun
Like that dude's even in the OP. Like once you know in season one that Bert, Reiner and Annie are on the same side then you'd definitely assume that anybody traveling with them in a flashback is working for them as well. I think even my pre manga theory crafting realized that they all came from the same place or something.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Someone remind me what happened to Ymir after she ate Marcel. Did she just run away? I'm so confused by that because it was depicted just recently that once a Titan eats a shifter it pretty much instantly goes back to human form.

Plus, if she did run away, how would she even have the conscious to make that decision as a dumb Titan still?

I must have forgotten something

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know...I had no idea that mentioning that the dude that Ymir ate being on the same side as Bert, Reiner and Annie would count as a spoiler. i guess it can't be inferred that all of those shifters were on the same side even though all of them know each other would not be pretty much inferred knowledge at this point.
It's not, but just refrain discussing things with anime only folk period.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Someone remind me what happened to Ymir after she ate Marcel. Did she just run away? I'm so confused by that because it was depicted just recently that once a Titan eats a shifter it pretty much instantly goes back to human form.

Plus, if she did run away, how would she even have the conscious to make that decision as a dumb Titan still?

I must have forgotten something
The others ran away before she changed presumably.

Oct 27, 2017
RBA bailed when Ymir ate Marcel. Initially we thought Ymir woke up at night as a human but in 115 it was revealed she woke up at the paths place, where the (presumably) OG Ymir reconstructed her body out of sand. My guess is she had spent so many years as a titan her human body had been subsumed in it and had to be created again.

Oct 25, 2017
RBA bailed when Ymir ate Marcel. Initially we thought Ymir woke up at night as a human but in 115 it was revealed she woke up at the paths place, where the (presumably) OG Ymir reconstructed her body out of sand. My guess is she had spent so many years as a titan her human body had been subsumed in it and had to be created again.
Is Paths going to be the next "Nanomachines" meme?

Oct 25, 2017
I just double checked my pre-manga theories and yeah...so much shit is very easy to figure out. The stuff with Ymir and Marcel; Bert, Reiner and Marcel coming from the same place and the Beast Titans ability to create titans can be figured out by paying attention and putting the pieces together. The only thing you don't know about is the actual how behind everything.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
The others ran away before she changed presumably.
They're familiar with the inheritance process. I understand running away initially but why not go back and take Ymir captive or have one of them consume her? Did they touch on that?

I'm guessing the excuse here is that they were frightened children and weren't thinking straight. But Annie seems like the type to have went back.

And even though Ymir had to be rebuilt, it's crazy because it still takes the same amount of time for her to turn normal as those that just turned into titans and ate a shifter because of the weird hyperbolic time chamber effect that occurs while in that state.

Oct 25, 2017
They're familiar with the inheritance process. I understand running away initially but why not go back and take Ymir captive or have one of them consume her? Did they touch on that?

I'm guessing the excuse here is that they were frightened children and weren't thinking straight. But Annie seems like the type to have went back.

And even though Ymir had to be rebuilt, it's crazy because it still takes the same amount of time for her to turn normal as those that just turned into titans and ate a shifter because of the weird hyperbolic time chamber effect that occurs while in that state.
I think I really got the feeling that they were panicked kids, they even attacked the wall in a rushed panic if I remember the reveal right. They were definitely not using anything that resembled sound logic. They had no idea what Ymir looked like so didn't even try recruiting her till she revealed herself in season 2.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
was this ever explained? how did he have memories of the future? is that an attack titan ability?
mikasaarmin.jpg

Also, I remember why they didn't go back now. This happened lol
0096-015.jpg

Exclusive first look at Punished Reiner.
and someone said he could be passed in L's? LOL

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
jesus this manga is so good

like i never imagined the series would go in the direction it did, but i'm so glad it did

there were some dips in quality with the civil war stuff (IMO), but he really turned it back around

can't wait to see the payoff for all this

was this ever explained? how did he have memories of the future? is that an attack titan ability?
mikasaarmin.jpg

Also, I remember why they didn't go back now. This happened lol
0096-015.jpg

Exclusive first look at Punished Reiner.
and someone said he could be passed in L's? LOL
remember the very first chapter

where Eren comments on Mikasa's hair being shorter, and comments about a dream he can't remember and starts crying

there are some theories floating around about time loops/consciousness extending over time/users regarding the attack titan

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
They ran away, they talked about going back but didn't think they would find her and they had the risk of other Titans.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
jesus this manga is so good

like i never imagined the series would go in the direction it did, but i'm so glad it did

there were some dips in quality with the civil war stuff (IMO), but he really turned it back around

can't wait to see the payoff for all this

remember the very first chapter

where Eren comments on Mikasa's hair being shorter, and comments about a dream he can't remember and starts crying

there are some theories floating around about time loops/consciousness extending over time/users regarding the attack titan
Yeah that's true. Did Grisha ever have any of those kinds of dreams/visions/memories that we know of?
It's true that we still don't know a lot about the attack Titan. That one and the female titan seems to have a few secrets to them. And of course what happens when Eren comes into contact with Zeke is also a mystery.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Isn't its name technically "Advancing titan"? so maybe it's about memories advancing through time or some dumb shit idk

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
The real question is if Grisha still remembered everything Krueger told him. If he saw that Eren befriended a Mikasa and an Armin, what was he thinking? Krueger didn't know where those memories came from but Grisha is smart enough to note this oddity(IMO). There has to be just a bit more to Grisha than what we currently know. There's a chance it slipped past him entirely due to the grief and trauma of the moment and that it was only meant for the reader but I'm dying to know the weight of what Krueger meant.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Isn't its name technically "Advancing titan"? so maybe it's about memories advancing through time or some dumb shit idk
Shingeki means advancing and attacking at the same time basically. E.g.

研究社和英辞典 said:
しんげき1【進撃】 (shingeki)

a march onward; a charge; a drive; a push; an advance; an onrush; an onslaught; an attack; storming.

~する charge 《at the enemy》; attack 《the enemy》; make an attack 《on the enemy》; make a drive [push] 《on [upon]…》; march 《upon…》; advance 《on [against]…》; assault; storm.

町はそこから進撃すれば 1 時間の地点にあった. The town was an hour's push away from there.

破竹の進撃 a violent onslaught.

進撃を続ける continue the charge [attack, drive, advance].
快進撃 an easy advance.
進撃隊 an attacking [offensive] force.

進撃命令 an order to advance; 《口》 the go-ahead.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
They ran away, they talked about going back but didn't think they would find her and they had the risk of other Titans.
They were also concerned about Ymir already being able to use her new abilities, if I remember well. I think Bertolt (?) pointed out that it was unlikely she'd be able to fight back right away, and Reiner remarked that Bertolt himself had managed to control his titan abilities right off the bat.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
They were also concerned about Ymir already being able to use her new abilities, if I remember well. I think Bertolt (?) pointed out that it was unlikely she'd be able to fight back right away, and Reiner remarked that Bertolt himself had managed to control his titan abilities right off the bat.
They actually don't mention being afraid of Ymir.
On the contrary, Annie was ready to go back and get Ymir and go back to Marley.
Reiner convinced her otherwise (by force as pictured above) by threatening them both that they would all get eaten if they went back as failures, not just him.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
They actually don't mention being afraid of Ymir.
Ah, yes, I just checked and I was only partially correct: Reiner was concerned about Ymir already being able to use her new abilities in order to escape (not to fight back, as I thought). And then, as I remembered, Bertolt pointed out that it was unlikely she'd already be able to use her powers, and Reiner countered that Bertolt had managed to control his titan powers right off the bat.
Anyway, the idea was that Reiner thought that trying to recover the Jaw titan at that point was too risky, and, as you said, that going back empty-handed could be really bad for all three of them, so they had to carry on with their initial mission.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
So IDK how anime-only people will respond to the information that Grisha throws in here. I am already hearing people compare it to FMA's original ending.

I mean, I get it, the WWII Germany thing. But I actually feel like this works **so** much better than that original FMA season. This is really when the whole manga changes, so I'll be interested to see how exactly the anime popularity will be affected.

mikasaarmin.jpg

At this point, PATHS is a running meme, but basically PATHS.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So IDK how anime-only people will respond to the information that Grisha throws in here. I am already hearing people compare it to FMA's original ending.

I mean, I get it, the WWII Germany thing. But I actually feel like this works **so** much better than that original FMA season. This is really when the whole manga changes, so I'll be interested to see how exactly the anime popularity will be affected.

At this point, PATHS is a running meme, but basically PATHS.

I really hope there isn't another momentum killing break between seasons like there was after Season 1. So many folks never came back

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Regarding the latest chapter, I'm 90% sure Eren fully intents to go Full Rumbling and annihilate everything that is not Paradis. I always suspected that when he claimed to Reiner he wouldn't rest until all his enemies are destroyed, but Armin's ocean flashback sealed the deal for me, in which Eren asked if he killed everyone in the side of the ocean, they would be free. I can't see any other reason for him to alienate Armin and Mikasa besides knowing that they could never possibly agree with genociding the entire world.

I'm honestly wary about any theory that Eren's goal is about unifying 9 titans to end the curse or something like that. Nothing indicated that there is documented way to end the Titan's curse that, somehow, Eren, and only him, got access. Eren's actions also does not match someone wanting to obtain all 9 shifters into himself. If a scenario like this plays out, it won't have been planned by Eren and may even happen by accident.
If Eren unlocked memories from the future, then he has an idea of what he should be working towards and it would basically give him a motivation for everything he has done (like Dr. Strange). I think he genuinely believes that normal citizens are good people, but he also knows that some have to die in order to achieve his future memories.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
That's quite a hefty couple of chapters to fit into one episode. Then they decided to stretch the basement chapter to an entire episode. /shrug
They cut quite a few lines, but they did a fairly good job overall.
Still, the episode doesn't have much room to breathe as a result, and the amount of information might be a bit overwhelming for non manga readers...

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
so,
Kruger accompanied his fellow officer to inform the Yeagers of Faye's death and observed quietly as they grieved for Faye. Amidst the conversation, he looked into the traumatized Grisha's eyes, seeing pure hatred and a desire for revenge.

Two years later, Kruger inherited the power of the "Attack Titan" from an unknown predecessor, gaining the power of the Titans.

There's gonna be some time travel kinda shit to explain this huh?
How tf did he just eat one of the Marleyan's most valuable weapons in secret? Lol

I sure hope Isayama touches back onto this. As a matter of fact, I have a feeling it will be a big plot point tying Eren Yeager to it somehow. Idk how but it's gonna be a mind fuck