• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shergal

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest I think the last arc and especially the last 4-5 chapters have been... subpar, to put it mildly. It almost feels like Isayama wants to just be done with it, even the art dropped off a cliff.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest I think the last arc and especially the last 4-5 chapters have been... subpar, to put it mildly. It almost feels like Isayama wants to just be done with it, even the art dropped off a cliff.

??? wow

I think the series is ending so well

all the lore drops are thematically consistent with the story thus far

shergal

Oct 25, 2017
??? wow

I think the series is ending so well

all the lore drops are thematically consistent with the story thus far
This chapter was so rushed... we are supposed to be compelled by what's going on with Ymir when there are barely 30 pages of her backstory, she never says a word and we barely even get a glimpse of her psyche, and Eren convinces her to pull a 180° from what she has been for 2000 years with one or two lines about "da freedom!"

Previous chapters have felt faster than they should, too, but this one is just too much. The entire pivotal moment of the story hinges on haphazardly put together character interactions where one party is a mute doll.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the best art an individual chapter has ever had in this series?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eren convinces her to pull a 180° from what she has been for 2000 years with one or two lines about "da freedom!"
No one has ever shown her sympathy. She has never known that freedom was even a choice. Even after becoming essentially a god she continued to server her grotesque master. She's basically been a blank slate/slave since she was born. I think the bigger question is how Eren knew what would reach her.

I feel like Isayama is going to have to explain what the fuck latched onto her spine. There has to be a reason/origin for that.

And it's looking more and more like the baby in the final panel will indeed be a reborn Ymir.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
This chapter was so rushed... we are supposed to be compelled by what's going on with Ymir when there are barely 30 pages of her backstory, she never says a word and we barely even get a glimpse of her psyche, and Eren convinces her to pull a 180° from what she has been for 2000 years with one or two lines about "da freedom!"

Previous chapters have felt faster than they should, too, but this one is just too much. The entire pivotal moment of the story hinges on haphazardly put together character interactions where one party is a mute doll.

why would we need multiple chapters when this single one poignantly tells us EVERYTHING we need to know about this

every single
instance of atrocity and abuse Ymir suffered her entire life as a literal slave...only to finally have what seems to be an inheritor of her will, two thousand years later, being the one to finally be compassionate and give her the damn choice of what to do with the wretched world that chewed her up and spat her out
. how would that be improved by more chapters? I'm actually shocked that you think this would be improved by having
Ymir talk more or something, when that's clearly antithetical to everything we were just shown about her

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
For me the backstory was fine, she didn't know better, did what was told, got tired of it all, was used to produce more titans, got trapped in a timeless dimension of some sort.

So apparently Eren is indeed the demon, so which means that she know everything what would happen and just waited for him to complete the cicle and set her free, we just need to know now why everyone thinks that the demon gave her powers, because apparently shes the one who gave him, and what the hell is that spine thing the latch to her.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The chapter is not officially out yet. The translated chapter is categorized as a leak in that regard.

Unless this thread is open leaks, then by all means.
Everyone in here likely reads the unofficial translation.

And the first page just says: " Use this thread to chew the fat about everything Shingeki no Kyojin. No spoiler tags needed, just throw everything out there and let it all hang out. "

Nothing about official releases...

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the standard has always been to wait for the official release.

We know everybody does it, but scanlations don't count...
Eh, until the opening post stipulates that then this isn't an issue.
My advice is don't walk into a spoiler thread if you don't want stuff spoiled.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone in here likely reads the unofficial translation.

And the first page just says: " Use this thread to chew the fat about everything Shingeki no Kyojin. No spoiler tags needed, just throw everything out there and let it all hang out. "

Nothing about official releases...
Idk if you've noticed, but you're the only one not using spoilers.

Is your opinion so important that you need everyone to see it as soon as they open this thread?
I've seen you around the SnK threads, this shouldn't be new to you

Oct 27, 2017

Ymir doesn't talk cause they cut her tongue. I think it is also implied that she reached out to Eren to come find her, as she somehow knew the coordinate would fall into his hands. Maybe the tree Eren was sitting under in the very first chapter is connected to the Yggdrasil-like tree from this chapter?

Also, funniest thing in this chapter is Zeke getting L after L.

bUT i aM a dEScEnANt oF ThE rOyAL fAmILy

Oct 26, 2017
So the king of the Jewish-coded people ruined the world and lead to some justification of the hatred of the Jewish-coded people?

Wow, never saw on Attack on Titan going this direction. Everyone told me that the evil empire's stories about the Jewish-coded people were all false and were going to be revealed as false!

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Idk if you've noticed, but you're the only one not using spoilers.

Is your opinion so important that you need everyone to see it as soon as they open this thread?
I've seen you around the SnK threads, this shouldn't be new to you
No, not at all, feel free to not even read my posts. I'm just following rules. I'm usually pretty damned uptight about spoiler tags and not spoiling shit but this is explicitly a spoiler thread, so anything goes. And yeah you can usually see me in the non-spoiler SnK thread shutting down people posting spoilers. This isn't that place.

Maybe make a thread for official release discussion? Because as far as I can tell this is the open-spoilers thread.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
So the king of the Jewish-coded people ruined the world and lead to some justification of the hatred of the Jewish-coded people?

Wow, never saw on Attack on Titan going this direction. Everyone told me that the evil empire's stories about the Jewish-coded people were all false and were going to be revealed as false!

You again?

Jewish? they even look more like vikings in this episode.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

More like: Ymir's race of slaves = whatever becomes Eldians.
Fritz family and his people, another race, using the slaves.
The king isn't using his subjects to inherit that power, but only the descendants of Ymir.
So history was messed up, there was always another evil kingdom that caused this.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Love to put the vikings in ghetto with armbands to introduce them.

Maybe this wasn't antisemitism but instead that Isayama sucks at creating interesting imagery and just ripped off Holocaust imagery.
It's hilarious that you always try to do this shit and it always ends in the same way

www.resetera.com

Attack on Titan's endgame has sure gotten interesting (full manga spoilers)

So a while ago, the main twist of the series was revealed that the series is a WW2 AU where the Titans are Jews. People had a variety of reactions to this, one claiming that since the Jews were still the main characters and sympathetic that the ability for Jews to turn into giant zombies isn't...

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

...All of my what? The chapter would have lost so much if she talked. The entire point is that she doesn't say a word until Eren gives her the agency she desired for so long. Up until that point she has ZERO agency over her actions (before and even after becoming a "god"), to the point of not even being able to kill herself to end her suffering. For two millennia she did what she was told while keeping her mouth shut because there wasn't anything she could do. That alone is plenty of cause for sympathy from the reader. I didn't need a five chapter backstory to see all she had to endure in her life as a slave.

And it's less a 180 and more doing what the hell she wanted to for 2000 dang years lol. Slaves don'twant to be enslaved. Eren gave her the emancipation she always dreamed of but could never attain. Saying it's a 180 is like giving a slave freedom and expecting him to say "nah man I want to stay being the literal property of someone else with no say in what I can do" lol like come on now.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this wasn't antisemitism but instead that Isayama sucks at creating interesting imagery and just ripped off Holocaust imagery.

That was probably always the case, I never thought of this as a "jews were always to blame" history retelling.

Plus in this chapter what's revealed is more 'this asshole king wanted to exploit the power of the titans and forced his people to retain it' rather than 'all eldians are bad and evil and they destroyed the world'.

The Fritz family has almost always been full of assholes, with a few notable exceptions.

Oct 26, 2017
It's hilarious that you always try to do this shit and it always ends in the same way

www.resetera.com

Attack on Titan's endgame has sure gotten interesting (full manga spoilers)

So a while ago, the main twist of the series was revealed that the series is a WW2 AU where the Titans are Jews. People had a variety of reactions to this, one claiming that since the Jews were still the main characters and sympathetic that the ability for Jews to turn into giant zombies isn't...

lol, have you ever seen Detroit Become Human's ending.

The imagery could not be more clear.

Detroit Become Human and Bright are like the only pieces of media as dumb as Attack on Titan though Attack on Titan is less focused on race and is more focused on having Game of Thrones disease and obsessing over throwing random plot twists out every chapter or two.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
You know at first i was super hype but i do feel like this chapter has brought up some things that might be disappointing by the end. It also seemed to go by really fast. Dunno, the journey is a little rocky here i think

edit - also i'm not using spoiler tags in a manga spoilers thread lol

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil

I can't speak for others, since I was always annoyed by how so many people jumped on the idea that everything about Marley was fake propaganda when we had a whole scene about Kruger explaining that Grisha's version was blatantly wishful thinking on his part while also pointing that Marley's version was blatantly exaggerated (btw, massive fail by the anime team for omitting that scene). The fact other nations besides Marley also hated Eldians implied that the Eldian Empire was NOT benevolent as people thought.

What DID annoy me in your threads was you jumping at conclusion that Attack on Titan was an antisemitic work and that Eldians are coded-jews because on the armband and World War imagery, a so any possible negative portrayal of Eldians, such as this chapter, is antisemitic. My impression is that, by your logic, no authors should use ever such references and portray associated characters negatively or they will be antisemitic.

I remember you believed that Eren was also anti-eldian too, but it turns out he never shared Zeke's ideology and was just manipulating him. Well, we just saw Eren wanting to end the entire world and unleashing the Rumbling. Are we now going to jump into the conclusion that Isayama is pro-human extinction? I think it's fair for us to at least wait until the work is finished to judge if it is antisemitic, anti-humanity or whatever.

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Isayama is going to have to explain what the fuck latched onto her spine. There has to be a reason/origin for that.

Gonna yank this straight from the SnK subreddit, but there's some Norse mythology parallels.

courtesy of /u/ShingekiNoKiddin

For everyone looking for answers about the spine at the base of the tree:

It is parallel to Nidhoggr of Norse mythology. A Serpent/Dragon that gnaws at the root of the great tree of life. Counter acted by an eagle who resides at the top (yet to be seen in AoT) and the squirrel that connects the worlds of those two (likely the beast titan, Zeke).

It is also said that it will rise to aid the giants at the end of the world, Ragnarok. It symbolizes a loss of honor and villainy.

Check out more at this link: https://mythology.wikia.org/wiki/Níðhöggr

Quote: Níðhöggr or Nidhogg (Malice Striker) is a powerful dragon that is found in Norse Mythology. The big mighty dragon lives in the roots of the great ash tree Yggdrasil which holds the 9 realms of Norse cosmology together. Níðhöggr also chews on the roots of the tree for all eternity with hopes to damage it and topple it. He has a rivalry with an unnamed eagle that lives at the top of the World Tree and the two exchange harsh words and messages through Ratatöskr, the giant mischievous squirrel, that bears the words between the two. It is said that the Níðhöggr will go off to Ragnarok, the Norse Judgement day to aid the giants in their battle against the gods.

If you want a more sciency theory, I've seen it pointed out many times it looks remarkably like the ancient hallucigenia.

maxresdefault1-e1502113073283.jpg

AnythingElse

Oct 25, 2017

Her tongue was cut out along with all the other slaves, there was literally a panel showing a slave having their tongue removed and one bleeding from the mouth next to him to indicate this. Hence the no speaking.

In terms of Ymir pulling a 180, it was the first time anyone treated her as anything other than a slave. Eren didn't order her to do what he was proposing, like Zeke was, he even says that he was giving her the choice (treating her like a human being). Which I imagine would be nice after being a slave for 2000 years.

Last edited:

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
So as it stands
Eren isn't the devil and on top of that, there never was a devil? Just the tree?

unless there was something else down there that we were never shown when she fell

Oct 27, 2017
So as it stands
Eren isn't the devil and on top of that, there never was a devil? Just the tree?

unless there was something else down there that we were never shown when she fell
the deal with the devil was just a theory passed down by eldians and marleyans alike, then there was kruger's version in which og ymir stumbled upon 'the source of all organic matter'. Which seems to be exactly what happened? As to what that spiney thing is, no clue

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Apparently, the next volume will be the last.

My guess is that the next chapters will be about everyone trying to stop the Rumbling before it decimates the world.

Zeke is useless now, since Ymir ignored him. I guess the "save the world" ball will be on Armin, Reiner or Falco.