• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
So a while ago, the main twist of the series was revealed that the series is a WW2 AU where the Titans are Jews.

People had a variety of reactions to this, one claiming that since the Jews were still the main characters and sympathetic that the ability for Jews to turn into giant zombies isn't more antisemitic than something like Detroit (which takes Holocaust imagery with no care whatsoever).

So now,

The main character of Attack on Titan's plan is to sterilize all the Jews. He claims that no new Jews being born will mean no mean Jewish suffering which will be good.

So, ummmmm, not everyone in the series agrees with this plan.

But the main character and one of the other three most important characters does.

And I'm just like.

I feel like this is not the direction for this series to take.

Also, no one in the series fucking dies and it's annoying as shit, this is some garbage soap opera tier shit.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ. Did you make the last thread too?

Before the outrage, this is a complete misreading of the series and mispresentation of the themes.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Titans are jews? Excuse me? Wtf is this shit

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Titans are jews? Excuse me? Wtf is this shit
I feel like I'm missing a lot of context.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/at...-that-annoys-me-massive-manga-spoilers.24832/

Attack-on-Titan-Jewish-armband-comparison.jpg

Db1IPDKXcAUI3e1.jpg

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. Did you make the last thread too?

Before the outrage, this is a complete misreading of the series and mispresentation of the themes.
He did make the last thread. He made it not understanding any of the context, ran away before conversation picked up, and the thread went on for pages duping anyone who hasn't read/understood said context. Please lock this bullshit.

Disclaimer everyone: OP is just spreading a really bad take.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
You're well aware of what you're doing here.

You refused to engage with anyone proving your point to be false in the last thread. I imagine you'll dont the same here.

Is Zeke's plan to sterilize all the Jews or no.

Has Eren said in this chapter that he agrees with the plan (though some think he's lying for some reason).

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, then what's being misrepresented?
One of the badguys in the series wants to do the sterilizing.

All of the bad stuff in the series that is happening to the oppressed people are done by bad people. The series explicitly empathizes with their suffering at the hands of those in power.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How did you get the idea that the manga is saying that the plan to sterilize is in any way a good thing? You're supposed to think Eren/Zeke have gone a bit batshit insane. Almost every other character is trying to prevent them from meeting because of this exact reason. I've not read this month's chapter yet to be fair.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Has Eren said in this chapter that he agrees with the plan (though some think he's lying for some reason).
Eren is only playing Zeke you dumb-dumb, quit trying to stir shit simply because you don't understand any of the character motives or themes being presented.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Well I hope this thread was made in good faith and that OP plans to engage in conversation with people who read the series.

Oct 28, 2017
Unless I missed something, we don't know if Eren is playing Zeke and most evidence seems to support that Eren, even if only partially, agrees with Zeke's plan.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless I missed something, we don't know if Eren is playing Zeke and most evidence seems to support that Eren, even if only partially, agrees with Zeke's plan.
AoT constantly subverts expectations and things are rarely what they seem. There's no reason to think Eren is doing anything but gaming Zeke. He wouldn't click into Zeke's beliefs and plans so neatly right off the bat, it would be terrible writing and that's not what AoT is known for. It's likely he's using Zeke and knew how to get through to him on first impression.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Eren only agreed with Zekes plan to get Eldia leadership out the way so he can go forth with the rumbling without threat of sedition

He's playing Zeke like a fiddle

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What is Eren's benefit to traumatizing Mikasa in this plan.
Snapping his friends out of their naivety. Showing them how important it is to fight their chains with every ounce of their being, even if it means hurting them in the process. He definitely believes what he said to them but they are still his friends.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
What is Eren's benefit to traumatizing Mikasa in this plan.
Also, this thread seems mad premature. Why not discuss your theories in the Attack on Titan thread vs making a thread to claim your theory as fact? Basic storytelling indicates that if your protagonist does a heel turn but is being super mysterious there is probably more to come.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Eren and Zeke are polar opposites in worldview. Their perspectives are completely and deliberately opposed to each other and it's obvious that conflict is the series' endgame.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
AoT constantly subverts expectations and things are rarely what they seem. There's no reason to think Eren is doing anything but gaming Zeke. He wouldn't click into Zeke's beliefs and plans so neatly right off the bat, it would be terrible writing and that's not what AoT is known for. It's likely he's using Zeke and knew how to get through to him on first impression.

THE MAN WHO WANTS TO STERILIZE THE JEWS WAS LITERALLY JUST SAVED BY DIVINE INTERVENTION OR THE MOST BULLSHIT PLOT ARMOR OF ALL TIME.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
THE MAN WHO WANTS TO STERILIZE THE JEWS WAS LITERALLY JUST SAVED BY DIVINE INTERVENTION OR THE MOST BULLSHIT PLOT ARMOR OF ALL TIME.
Why divine intervention? We see the little girl rebuilding him but we don't know if that's what is happening every time a shifter regenerates. They're usually conscious/alive while it happens.

Oct 28, 2017
Umm that's not a reason why Eren is playing Zeke. You just giving your opinion on what you think Eren is gonna do. And honestly, after the whole Holocaust imagery I wouldn't be surprised if the whole sterilization plan is Eren's end game. The next chapter should be dropping next week or so, so im gonna reserve judgement on this whole sterelization shenanigans but I can tell you there is nothing in the current arc to support a Eren is playing Zeke twist.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Umm that's not a reason why Eren is playing Zeke. You just giving your opinion on what you think Eren is gonna do. And honestly, after the whole Holocaust imagery I wouldn't be surprised if the whole sterilization plan is Eren's end game. The next chapter should be dropping next week or so, so im gonna reserve judgement on this whole sterelization shenanigans but I can tell you there is nothing in the current arc to support a Eren is playing Zeke twist.
What? I didn't say that's the reason he's playing him, I just said it's obvious he's playing him. There's a reason we haven't heard directly from Eren what his goal is. His communication with Zeke would be way too fortuitous to Zeke's motives for it to be truthful.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't the author of the manga like a nazi or imperial japan sympathizer or something, or am I thinking of someone else.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I like this write up on AoT. It's the opposite problem of what the OP has been putting out which I disageee with.

Basically, Isayama is equating the Japanese to the Jews and it's implications are... whoof

This interpretation has also been in the back of my mind as a possibility for a bit. A thread about that could be an interesting topic of discussion. The OP's interpretation though? Dude has been misreading the entire manga.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The sand imagery has shown up with Ymir previously in the series.
Ah yeah I know that, and my point still stands. My guess with her is that 60 years of being a titan put her consciousness in so distant a state that she woke up in the "the source" before she did on Earth.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Yikes. Do we really need to do this again?

12 months ago people were like "don't worry, it will be revealed to be better"

Now we are on a Jewish sterilization arc.

And the series is nearly over.

And the man who wants to sterilize all the Jews might have just been saved by divine intervention.

And it's just like

If you want to do this arc with moral ambiguity and twists and turns over whether or not the race in the past was actually guilty or only mildly guilty or not guilty at all.

Maybe like

Don't rip off the Holocaust?

Like, be a better artist with an ounce of creativity instead of just vomiting up the Holocaust onto the page?

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017

Chapter is already out. Read it this morning.

thespartin

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait. I saw the last thread when it was young and took it at face value and decided not to catch up on AoT when i get the time. Reading through the comments on this thread makes me think ive been duped by a bad take... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.