• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
"If you look at a show from 2005 or 2006 and put it side by side with a show from 2018 or 2019, they're going to have a few differences," Sulkin told TV Line.

"Some of the things we felt comfortable saying and joking about back then, we now understand is not acceptable."

Appel added: "The culture changes. And it's not us reacting and thinking: 'They won't let us [say certain things].' No, we've changed too.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-episode-alec-sulkin-rich-appel-a8728146.html

Regarding my Kevin Hart dig:

Kevin Hart phased them out a long time ago.
Does Hart still make homophobic jokes? I thought the issue was the jokes he made in the past and how he won't apologize for them.

Notice they're doing it because they've changed , or at least claiming to want to change, and are happy to have changed.Hart did it because people are too sensitive today. That was my point

Last edited:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Does Hart still make homophobic jokes? I thought the issue was the jokes he made in the past and how he won't apologize for them.

Oct 25, 2017
I keep up with the show out of morbid curiosity and they've been making the same low hanging race/gay jokes as recently as last season. They say they've changed but I don't see it honestly. It feels like 70% of their humor.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't one of the main punchlines in the series stewie doing some gay stereotypes?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Notice they're doing it because they've changed , or at least claiming to want to change, and are happy to have changed.Hart did it because people are too sensitive today. That was mypoint
I don't think he has ever said that he stopped making those jokes because of sensitive people. His controversial joke was from 2012.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I applaud them for changing things but the gay jokes were not the meanest/most toxic/degrading/etc. "gags" in that show.

No more gay jokes but making fun of trans people is fine. How about abortion jokes or lets show how evil muslims are for the 1000 time.

Make fun of everybody or take out all of your offensive stuff. But that would leave them with the odd good joke every episode or two.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
People like Kevin Hart will be brought up to speed kicking and screaming, if at all. I will never understand why "respect others" translates to "people are too sensitive".

You definitely needed to name drop Kevin Hart in this topic.
That's the topic excelsiorlef chose to make though, not just simply reporting the news but making a topic saying "if even FG can do it, what's X's excuse".

If you don't like the topic, you can scroll past it.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY CRAP LOIS

THIS IS MORE ebic than that time we meet Sans Undertale from fortnite

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he has ever said that he stopped making those jokes because of sensitive people. His controversial joke was from 2012.

That's literally exactly what he said.

I wouldn't tell that joke today, because when I said it, the times weren't as sensitive as they are now. I think we love to make big deals out of things that aren't necessarily big deals, because we can. These things become public spectacles. So why set yourself up for failure?

https://www.vulture.com/2019/01/kevin-hart-homophobic-tweets-apologies-ellen-degeneres.html

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Like I'm okay with this stuff but I'm always laughing sadly at their timelines. Hurtful gay jokes weren't acceptable at all in 2005-2006 either. At least they eventually came to realize.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Kevin Hart is on the record way before the current drama as phasing out gay jokes. Let's not spread misinformation. The issue is that he is unapologetic about being homophobic and doesn't want to sincerely apologize for the past jokes.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Kevin Hart is on the record way before the current drama as phasing out gay jokes. Let's not spread misinformation. The issue is that he is unapologetic about being homophobic and doesn't want to sincerely apologize for the past jokes.

There's no misinformation. I even clarified my point.

FG's reasoning and Hart's reasoning are polar opposites

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I feel about this. The point of stuff like Family Guy is that they make jokes on just about anything, including sexual orientation, disabilities, race, country of origin, religion, taste, job, etc.. By definition, some of these are stereotyped, while others can obviously offend someone. When I was in high school here in Italy, it was a recurrent joke among us how Peter talked Italian when going into an Italian shop. It was stupid, it was stereotyped, but we laughed and we used those lines for months. I wouldn't like Family Guy as much if they stopped using humor that could potentially be offensive to some. I mean, this show had that barber shop tune about a guy having AIDS. A musical piece sung by a baby thrown into the trash. Outdated, offensive or not, that is Family Guy and it'd be a different product.

Of course, if this means Stewie gets back to his old character I don't mind that at all.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
It's the episode where that color swatch "Okay/Not Okay" image comes from.
Jokes like those I believe are technically attempting to lampoon the American irrationality related to minorities such as Muslims.

As for the show's gay humor, from my experience the show more often than not makes fun of the outrageousness and promiscuity of gay people, rather than offering any particularly insightful socio-political commentary.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
what?

family guy is still airing?

who the hell is still watching family guy in 2019 AND getting mad about their offensive jokes. like surely you would've clocked out years ago

Oct 31, 2017
Like I'm okay with this stuff but I'm always laughing sadly at their timelines. Hurtful gay jokes weren't acceptable at all in 2005-2006 either. At least they eventually came to realize.

Yeah, it's weird to want to pat Family Guy on the back for this in 2019 like offensive humor hasn't been their bread and butter this entire time. One of their main characters morphed further and further into a gay stereotype

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
There is a lot of gross Family Guy behavior other than the gay jokes, but I guess it's a start.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Kevin Hart phased them out a long time ago.

lol. Kevin Hart's 2015 movie, "Get Hard", has homophobic jokes that Hart had made. When an interviewer tried to bring it up, Hart downplays it by saying, "Look, funny is funny." while Will was just there just listening and trying not to get in trouble for it.

"A long time ago" lol. Of course, Hart later on tried to phrase his homophobic "jokes" as if they had a deeper meaning into it. His tweets prove otherwise.

Interframe

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Being queer myself, I actually love Stewie's character and how they developed his character (going from evil genius baby to in-the-closest-but-discovering-himself phase). I guess its mostly cause a lot of Stewie's character is relatable to me in terms of slowly coming into an understanding or realization of one's sexuality and also trying to hint it at others (close loved-ones) cause you know they would be understanding regardless (ie his relationship with Brian in the show). The way they hint at Stewie being gay in the show is really funny/cute to me.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Not that's it's a bad thing, but kind of headscratching considering the show aims offensive jokes at all groups.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
It's great that the creative behind Family Guy decided to stop making jokes poking fun at gay people just for being gay because those jokes weren't simply funny to begin with. However, kind of a head scratcher they thought that back in 2005-2006 it was acceptable. Like a poster said, the episode when Peter had the gay gene, hooked up with a man and then for some reason had some 12 man orgy just because only for him to revert back to being straight and be horrified...wasn't funny then and now.

You know what animated show aired in 1999 and handled gay characters a whole lot better? Mission Hill. Man, I wish that show returned.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Your point still doesn't make sense because unlike Hart, no one's forcing Seth Mcfarlane to apologize.

They're basically doing it themselves.

That's better, if they follow through.

Like this is them apologizing and committing to change and you're right no one even had asked.

My point also is to show how easy it is and thus further highlight how laughably stupid Hart's reactions have been.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This disgusting PC overreach, in the form of showing basic respect to people who used to be thoughtlessly denigrated in mainstream media all the time, is truly, truly, truly outrageous.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
This got a laugh out of me years before but now it's kinda conflicting as to whether I should find this funny or not: