• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, for those squirming.. the problem was always that if mueller was fired over the past two years, no one would hold Trump accountable.

now, it's not until January, but at least then there WILL be someone to hold Trump accountable. anything that the current house does to bury a dead investigation can just be dug up and restarted in January.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
If he fires Mueller... And nothing happens. There'll come a point when the ppl gotta take things into their own hands here

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The racist elf is no longer AG, so that's something.

I assume he'll fire Rosenstein next, and that's bad.

Within a day, if not sooner. Smart move is to act now and do whatever damage they can to the investigation now, before January. Trump has 2020 to think about and he's correct that his base is still surprisingly dependable, even two years on.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll need to stop worrying about Mueller. Yesterday ensured that Mueller's investigation ultimately won't be stopped

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think you guys are way too optimistic sometimes.

Nothing good happens when Mueller gets fired.

Now that the Dems have the House? Yeah, there's really no danger if he gets fired. It makes Trump look bad, Mueller gets a two month vacation, then in January the House reinstates him into their investigation.

Sazei

Jan 2, 2018
I'm curious but wasn't there a clear line of succession at the Department of Justice that decide who takes over if the Attorney General resigns? From what I recall Nixon had to fire two-three people in a row to get someone to do what he wanted yet Trump can just pick someone from Sessions's staff to take over?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious but wasn't there a clear line of succession at the Department of Justice that decide who takes over if the Attorney General resigns? From what I recall Nixon had to fire two-three people in a row to get someone to do what he wanted yet Trump can just pick someone from Sessions's staff to take over?
Yeah I'm kinda confused why rosenstein isn't the acting AG.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Steve Vladeck @steve_vladeck

By resigning rather than being fired, Sessions mooted the question about whether the Federal Vacancies Reform Act of 1998 applies to vacancies created through firing.

It clearly applies here., and Whitaker is clearly covered by 5 U.S.C. § 3345(a)(3):https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3345

Bradley P. Moss @BradMossEsq

which means Rosenstein still runs Mueller, right? Or am I mis-remembering?

Steve Vladeck @steve_vladeck

Misremembering. As Acting AG, Whitaker takes over.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This may get a lawsuit yeah.

edit: seems not. Dead man's switch probably a go.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
So say, for arguments sake, this had nothing to do with scrapping Mueller, what other reasons did he have for firing him and replacing him with Whittaker? Besides 'Trump being Trump'.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whitaker is also another Anti-Clinton Loon who wrote he would Prosecute Hillary Clinton under the Espionage Act in 2016 so god only knows what else will start beyond screwing with Mueller

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
This new season starts off with a bang. Is Lindsey ready for his time in the spotlight?

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
No wonder Trump was talking about how bad the Mueller investigation is for America at his shitshow conference today.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Although I am fearful of what this means for Mueller... I have a hard time being upset seeing Jeff Sessions resign.

His policies are both awful and he has also been silently effective from his post. Good riddance

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there could be a black van carrying many binders to the DoJ right now, from the FBI, with all the required paperwork in place .

Mueller would clearly have expected all this to happen? no?

I would think there's something along those lines in place. Mueller, I am certain, has played at least one game of Chess in his life, unlike the semi-literate president.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ahh not so fast.

Still have plenty of time left in this lame duck session.

If he fired Mueller now we'd have to rely on the GOP to find their balls and that isn't very likely.
Mueller still goes public at the request of dems though when they take office.. and reports his findings. No doubt he's far enough along to be able to do this

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people wondering how this affects Mueller, it really doesn't. They can fire him if they want, but they'd be hurting themselves because as soon as all the Dems are sworn in in January, he can be reinstated or (as has already been reported) they can just have him make a public testimony himself.
The problem now is that the president will know everything mueller is looking into through his new AG. Which could set the chess moves for trump to start covering his tracks and coming up with alibis...if at all possible.

Oct 29, 2017
For people wondering how this affects Mueller, it really doesn't. They can fire him if they want, but they'd be hurting themselves because as soon as all the Dems are sworn in in January, he can be reinstated or (as has already been reported) they can just have him make a public testimony himself.

Yep. This is just Cheeto being a vindictive piece of shit toward Sessions, but he's not any closer to shutting down the Mueller investigation. That shit is here to stay.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
this feels like this was gonna happen anyways and everybody's been planning for it for months