• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

PS in general has been hiring a lot for their audio department which supports their first party studios, and this seems like another great get for them.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Just like in movies, people underestimate the critical nature of audio work in helping sell the illusion. We obsess over visuals, but on their own they're only half the story and can either be given a solid grounding by complementary audio, or utterly undermined when it isn't done right.

It's great to see people chasing their dreams and getting to work with the people they're motivated to be around.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Glad to see a strong investment in audio. I'm already really happy with the audio on the PS5 (Returnal and Ratchet in particular) and I figure it's only gonna get more batshit insane once PSVR2 comes out. I want the audio to make me legit feel like I'm in those environments and I think they're gonna aim to achieve it.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Just like in movies, people underestimate the critical nature of audio work in helping sell the illusion. We obsess over visuals, but on their own they're only half the story and can either be given a solid grounding by complementary audio, or utterly undermined when it isn't done right.

It's great to see people chasing their dreams and getting to work with the people they're motivated to be around.

I wish I could co-sign this post a million times over. In film the greats say sound is 50% of the experience - and, it has a massive impact on games as well when done right. In fact, I wish sound design and audio implementation got more credit on the whole. The two areas are definitely unsung heroes in that, when they are working well they become seamless and blend into the experience.

There's an interesting phenomenon where when sound design grabs the average player's attention it's usually because it's either extremely exceptional (something really groundbreaking) or horribly bad. However, there is a whole healthy middle ground of amazing work that goes unnoticed. Sometimes even something as seemingly foundational as a background ambience the sound designer has created can be absolutely instrumental in setting the scene and making the player feel like the world is alive. Then, of course, how the technical sound designer implements those elements can create something that feels interactive and fluid, lending credibility to the scene.

At any rate, congrats to Justin. What a get for PS. He certainly does stellar work.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
With Sony's previous acquisition of Audiokinetic (makers of Wwise) I do wonder what, if any advancements they've made in pushing Wwise to become a better and easier tool for the implementation of 3D audio. The easier they make it for devs to implement the wider the adoption should be I would imagine.

Also, and I just need clarification on this... do we send Justin pics of our ears or are those still meant to go to Cerny? :D

Ludi_Ludere

May 2, 2021
Think he is joining as one of the guys at PDSG (one of the 6+ support studios at Sony), they have been hiring like crazy. Either that or he is part of the PlayStation Audio, but I think it's PDSG.