• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
I knew I wasn't imagining this...

There's a delay in the sound.

Denon AVR-X1400H receiver
XBOX One X
Samsung Q9FN

In the Denon receiver it's still the same settings. On Xbox I have chosen HDMI Audio Bitstream Out. Bitstream format Dolby Digital (even though I only have two front speakers. But that shouldn't matter right? It didn't when I had this connected to the Sony 930e)

There's no delay when I chose stereo uncompressed in the Xbox settings.

And in the Q9FN settings I have: HDMI input audio format Bitstream and the output is Doby digital. I've messed with the audio delay option but it doesn't fix it at all.

I assume this is something in the Denon settings?

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, any suggestions for a receiver? I'm debating between the Marantz 8012 and the Denon 6500. I'll be using it for a 7.2.4 set up.
Marantz and Denon are basically the same, with Marantz being more musically focused I believe. I have a Denon x6400h and it's incredible in my 7.1.4, so the 6500 would have my vote.

Oct 26, 2017
You should be able to manage lip sync settings on the Denon.

Yeah I saw the setting. The setting itself is enabled and I tried all kinds of "ms" but it doesn't change a thing in the sound.

It's because of the connect box by the way, because when I hook the Xbox up to the receiver with these same settings there is no delay at all. Someone on AVS spoke about a massive audio delay as well and he ended up just hooking the Xbox up to the receiver, and thus missing out on Freesync on the TV.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I saw the setting. The setting itself is enabled and I tried all kinds of "ms" but it doesn't change a thing in the sound.

It's because of the connect box by the way, because when I hook the Xbox up to the receiver with these same settings there is no delay at all.

Oh, I must have misunderstood your setup. What's the purpose of the 'connect box'?

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I must have misunderstood your setup. What's the purpose of the 'connect box'?

The one connect box of the TV is where everything is connected. Nothing is on the back of the TV, that's all in that box. So HDMI, optical, USB etc. That thing is causing this delay. Man this sucks.

Googled it, Samsung recommends using optical,since HDMI causes a delay. Wow. So that would mean no Dolby Atmos, corrext? It's either that or not having Freesync.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one connect box of the TV is where everything is connected. Nothing is on the back of the TV, that's all in that box. So HDMI, optical, USB etc. That thing is causing this delay. Man this sucks.

Googled it, Samsung recommends using optical,since HDMI causes a delay. Wow. So that would mean no Dolby Atmos, corrext? It's either that or not having Freesync.

Ohh, I see. You're going from the TV connector box to the receiver rather than routing everything into the receiver and then using the TV as a dumb monitor. Yeah, that's probably introducing latency since the receiver still has to decode the bitstream and it seems like the TV is not delaying the video signal to compensate.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
So RedlineRonin GearDraxon I finally have furniture in the basement so I ran Audyssey XT32 and it made a MASSIVE difference in the realness of the sound. Before, you could feel that the heights and surrounds were a little low, but now you barely notice what speaker sounds are coming from. I just watched the included Atmos demo and I need a change of underwear.
And why aren't you watching Blade Runner 2049 right now?

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know how ARC works? I ask because amazon and google are fighting and there is no youtube app on my fire TV.. There is an app however on my TV. I can't for the life of me figure out how to set the sound to come through my stereo system.. Any help?

TL:DR - Need help with with ARC sound from TV Smart App through Stereo.

Equipment : Sony Receiver (STRDN1080), TV - LG 65UF8600, Everything is into the receiver, then single hdmi out to TV. I'm using Amazon Basics HDMI Cables (Supports ARC) for everything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Hey guys, any suggestions for a receiver? I'm debating between the Marantz 8012 and the Denon 6500. I'll be using it for a 7.2.4 set up.

Just a couple FYI's, the Denon 4400 and Marantz 7012 will both process and calibrate a full 11.2, you just need to add an external ~$100 stereo amp (something like the Audiosource Amp100 or Dayton APA102, which will be fine for driving a pair of ceiling Atmos). Additionally, given HDMI 2.1's perpetual delay, I do not believe the 2018 models (the 4500/6500 Denons and 7013/8013 Marantzs) add any notable new features or support Vs. the 2017 models (4400/6400 and 7012/8012) so you are paying nearly double price for the 2018's for basically no reason. A Denon 4400 and external stereo amp will cost you about $1000 all in to drive 11.2 while a 6500 is $2200 and a 6400 will be around $1500.

Does anyone know how ARC works? I ask because amazon and google are fighting and there is no youtube app on my fire TV.. There is an app however on my TV. I can't for the life of me figure out how to set the sound to come through my stereo system.. Any help?

TL:DR - Need help with with ARC sound from TV Smart App through Stereo.

Equipment : Sony Receiver (STRDN1080), TV - LG 65UF8600, Everything is into the receiver, out to TV. I'm using Amazon Basics HDMI Cables (Supports ARC) for everything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The HDMI running between the TV and AVR needs to be in the ARC-labeled port on both device (usually only one input on the TV is ARC compatible). With that done, there is usually a button on the remote labeled TV Audio or perhaps ARC (I am unfamiliar with Sony's) that will switch to the audio feed.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Ohh, I see. You're going from the TV connector box to the receiver rather than routing everything into the receiver and then using the TV as a dumb monitor. Yeah, that's probably introducing latency since the receiver still has to decode the bitstream and it seems like the TV is not delaying the video signal to compensate.

Yep and with previous TVs I never had this because it was all connected directly to the receiver because the TV didn't have a feature I would otherwise miss out on.

I did tinker with the lip sync audio delay option on the Denon. The option Auto Lip Sync was enabled. I disabled it and the delay definitely improves slightly but it's still lagging behind. I have my headset connected and powered on at the same time and I hear the audio first on the headset and a second or two through the speakers. It seems to be the best at 5ms or just at default 0ms but it's still being delayed. If I go under that it gets worse. Can't seem to get it right.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep and with previous TVs I never had this because it was all connected directly to the receiver because the TV didn't have a feature I would otherwise miss out on.

I did tinker with the lip sync audio delay option on the Denon. The option Auto Lip Sync was enabled. I disabled it and the delay definitely improves slightly but it's still lagging behind. I have my headset connected and powered on at the same time and I hear the audio first on the headset and a second or two through the speakers. It seems to be the best at 5ms or just at default 0ms but it's still being delayed. If I go under that it gets worse. Can't seem to get it right.

Looks like other folks have the same problem: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...ors/2980354-vrr-freesync-audio-receivers.html

Not sure it's something that's going to be solved until there are receivers that support VRR or at least will pass it through unmolested.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like other folks have the same problem: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...ors/2980354-vrr-freesync-audio-receivers.html

Not sure it's something that's going to be solved until there are receivers that support VRR or at least will pass it through unmolested.

Damn. Yeah it's the Freesync causing the issue then, not the one connect box. Explains why my brother with a KS8000 has no issues like these.

Oh also, I can't disable HDMI CEC, because if I do so my receiver won't be seen by the TV anymore. So the Xbox turning on each time is just gonna be something I'll have to cope with. Fuck.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone having issues with their headphones and xbox one? I have to go into the audio settings every time i turn my console on and turn atmos off then on again to get any audio through headphones + controller.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
I ran Audyssey a few times with different distances between the main listening position and the other 7 measurements. here are the results. Green line is before room correction, red line is after audyssey did room corrections.
RDDxIQW_d.jpg

I should select the 2 feet calibration for my system right? As it has the least amount of spikes?

I only ask because I've seen a bit of a debate saying if your only sitting in the same spot you should have all 8 mic measurements really close to you since that's where your sitting.

Others say you should place them further apart because audyssey is using the other 7 measurements to understand the acoustics of your room and spacing it out will give it more information.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ran Audyssey a few times with different distances between the main listening position and the other 7 measurements. here are the results. Green line is before room correction, red line is after audyssey did room corrections.
RDDxIQW_d.jpg

I should select the 2 feet calibration for my system right? As it has the least amount of spikes?

I only ask because I've seen a bit of a debate saying if your only sitting in the same spot you should have all 8 mic measurements really close to you since that's where your sitting.

Others say you should place them further apart because audyssey is using the other 7 measurements to understand the acoustics of your room and spacing it out will give it more information.

Audyssey is using the other 7 measurements to understand the acoustics of your room and to try and give the best sound to all those listening positions at once.

If you're just listening from one area, do your measurements close together, because you don't give a shit what it sounds like way off axis. You only care that it's ideal where you are sitting.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Audyssey is using the other 7 measurements to understand the acoustics of your room and to try and give the best sound to all those listening positions at once.

If you're just listening from one area, do your measurements close together, because you don't give a shit what it sounds like way off axis. You only care that it's ideal where you are sitting.
I've heard that only the first spot you measure (main listening position) is the only one that audyssey actually tries to give the best sound to. All the other spots are just gaining information to support mlp, instead of making it best listening for all 8 spots. The graph kind of supports that doesn't it? With 3 inches having the harshest sound.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard that only the first spot you measure (main listening position) is the only one that audyssey actually tries to give the best sound to. All the other spots are just gaining information to support mlp, instead of making it best listening for all 8 spots. The graph kind of supports that doesn't it? With 3 inches having the harshest sound.

I'm reading into it a little more and you're right. I had a misunderstanding of the calculations being done, and your testing bears that out.

fwiw I always measured at least six or seven listening positions around the room.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
I'm reading into it a little more and you're right. I had a misunderstanding of the calculations being done, and your testing bears that out.

fwiw I always measured at least six or seven listening positions around the room.
I was confused for awhile too! I feel like an additional sentence for clarification from Audyssey before running would have helped. Just a simple " hey we aren't trying to make it sound good for you and your 7 friends sitting far apart, we're just focusing on the first spot."

I only did this because when I first set up audyssey I did really close measurements and it kind of hurt my ears. So I went to the other extreme and did the max 2 feet they recommend and it sounded nicer but I wasn't sure if it was placebo Or what because I didn't have the graphs back then to back it up, if I'm reading the graphs correctly. I dunno if a straight line is what it's trying to achieve or if a bit of variance is actually good for dynamics.

MercBerserk

Oct 25, 2017
running ps4 pro optical through schit stack with second, connection running to pc. Using a modified denon d5000

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was confused for awhile too! I feel like an additional sentence for clarification from Audyssey before running would have helped. Just a simple " hey we aren't trying to make it sound good for you and your 7 friends sitting far apart, we're just focusing on the first spot."

I only did this because when I first set up audyssey I did really close measurements and it kind of hurt my ears. So I went to the other extreme and did the max 2 feet they recommend and it sounded nicer but I wasn't sure if it was placebo Or what because I didn't have the graphs back then to back it up, if I'm reading the graphs correctly. I dunno if a straight line is what it's trying to achieve or if a bit of variance is actually good for dynamics.

You want a flat frequency response, generally speaking. No major bumps or dips.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really close to getting the audio delay as little as possible with my Denon AVR-X1400H hooked up to the one connect box of the Samsung Q9FN and Xbox One X connected to that as well.

I want to give the audio delay setting on the Denon one more shot but each time I go into setup it gets displayed on my TV and that way I can't test it in real time. There should be a way to have all the settings available only via the Denon's own display. How do I do this?

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
Hey guys, I've been wanting to post on here for a while. My wife and I, we bought a Condo recently in India and we will move in around April of 2019 and may be earlier if we are lucky. We decided mutually not to have a separate home theater.

So the end game is to set up a 7.2.4 system down the line in the living room, I know that it won't be as efficient as having a home theater but this is the best I can do. I'm initially going for a 7.1.4 set up and adding a sub down the line and upgrading the speakers/equipment if necessary. There are some constraints with the area. The living room alone is 18ft in width and around 36ft in length. That gives an approximate 650 SqFt in area. Another hindrance are the surround speakers. I was looking at the Monitor Audio silver line and few others and the surrounds are fairly big in size. They will have to be ceiling hanging speakers and with the ceiling height being around 8 ft 6inches, I don't think it would be practical to have large surrounds hanging from the ceiling. So at least for a start, I want to limit the surrounds to something compact if I can.

Now let us go for the set up. I'm a movie and video games person more than music. I do listen to music but my movies & games:music will be around 75:25. So my focus is to go after a set up that will give me the better movie/gaming experience over music.As for the equipment,

LG 65C8 OLED
Marantz 8012
Xbox One X (I use this for 4K UHD's)
PS4 Pro
Atmos Micca 8C ceiling speakers x 4
Old Mcintosh SL1 subwoofer which I will start with

I need LCR and the surrounds. Just to throw it out there, everything is expensive in India, very expensive to be honest. Like the 65C8 is around $5000 and Marantz 8012 is about $4500.

With that in mind and the fact that I will go for upgrades with the speakers eventually, I need some recommendations for speakers that go well with the Marantz 8012. First LCR (priority) and some compact surrounds that aren't too big.

Thank you in advance.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Anyone know if I can fix this?

My sub Emotiva BasX S10 goes into my one speaker using RCA cables, two cables in the sub and one in the speaker.

Don't know if this is an inherent problem but the sub makes a hum but only when it's turned on and gets noticeably louder once you dial the volume on it using the knob past 50%.

Don't know if I should try to use a more high quality cable or what.

Edit: sound is not present when there is actually bass coming to the sub

Last edited:

Noons End

Nov 5, 2017
Ended up getting a Sony HT-Z9F soundbar on Black Friday to pair with my x900f TV... Big jump in quality from my old $40 speakers for sure.

If I'm running a 3.1 channel system (with atmos and dts-x abilities according to the soundbar as well), what settings should I be using on the Xbox One X? Will it natively use all three channels, or do I need to set up games and films for surround sound and then it'll down mix to just the three channels? Connected systems directly into the soundbar and then to the TV through HDMI!

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Anyone know if I can fix this?

My sub Emotiva BasX S10 goes into my one speaker using RCA cables, two cables in the sub and one in the speaker.

Don't know if this is an inherent problem but the sub makes a hum but only when it's turned on and gets noticeably louder once you dial the volume on it using the knob past 50%.

Don't know if I should try to use a more high quality cable or what.

Edit: sound is not present when there is actually bass coming to the sub

I am unfamiliar with how you've got that rigged up, but the most likely culprit for subwoofer hum would be a ground loop. I would first try an RCA ground loop isolator (~$10) between the sub and speaker you're running into, and if that doesn't work, try plugging the Subwoofer or Receiver's power into an Ebtech Hum X. Just return them if they don't work.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I reset my Denon AVR-X1400H yesterday and I set the two front speakers up again with the calibration mic and everything. However when I play Prime or Netflix content this is what is on the display, and shouldn't that be Dolby Digital?

It now seems to say Dolby + Dolby surround? Arc HDMI connected from receiver to Samsung One Connect box.
img_20181212_200310wxfbz.jpg

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I reset my Denon AVR-X1400H yesterday and I set the two front speakers up again with the calibration mic and everything. However when I play Prime or Netflix content this is what is on the display, and shouldn't that be Dolby Digital?

It now seems to say Dolby + Dolby surround? Arc HDMI connected from receiver to Samsung One Connect box.
img_20181212_200310wxfbz.jpg
That indicates Dolby Digital + Dolby upmixing. How many speakers do you have? Double-check and make sure in the Audio setup that you have it configured for that speaker configuration.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
I just pulled the trigger on a SVS SB-2000 sub to play alongside my Klipsch synergy sub. Amazon.ca promo with 12% cashback via Ebates.ca

Is it even worth pairing these two together since the SVS is so much more powerful? I've read that it does help even out the sound, but I can always remove the Klipsch if it sounds bad.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I just pulled the trigger on a SVS SB-2000 sub to play alongside my Klipsch synergy sub. Amazon.ca promo with 12% cashback via Ebates.ca

Is it even worth pairing these two together since the SVS is so much more powerful? I've read that it does help even out the sound, but I can always remove the Klipsch if it sounds bad.
Out of curiosity, why the SB and not the PB? Do you lean towards more music listening than movies/games?

And, yes, it is absolutely worth pairing those 2 subwoofers together. So long as you have them calibrated through MACC, YPAO, or Audyssey (where they will calibrate a dual sub setup), the subs will be great together. Plus, the SVS will hit lower than the Klipsch, picking up the slack, so to speak.

I've had a PB-2000 for maybe 2 months (possibly less) and I am still floored at how hard the bass hits, yet how clean it sounds. I am so glad I bit the bullet. And similar to your future setup, I run dual subs and have been for about 6 years now and wouldn't have it any other way. Currently my SVS is is paired with a BIC PL-200 II.

Oct 26, 2017
That indicates Dolby Digital + Dolby upmixing. How many speakers do you have? Double-check and make sure in the Audio setup that you have it configured for that speaker configuration.

Only two front speakers so far. Next year the plan is to expand to many more speakers :) in the setup I chose "no" when it asked if I had a center speaker, rear speakers etc.

When I press the green movie button it cycles through the modes and at one point it says Dolby Digital and if I let it stand on that the display soon shows what that picture shows. So it seems to be good.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I know I asked this like a month or two ago, but has anyone found anything to rival the earbuds that apple offers yet? With style and comfort.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, why the SB and not the PB? Do you lean towards more music listening than movies/games?

And, yes, it is absolutely worth pairing those 2 subwoofers together. So long as you have them calibrated through MACC, YPAO, or Audyssey (where they will calibrate a dual sub setup), the subs will be great together. Plus, the SVS will hit lower than the Klipsch, picking up the slack, so to speak.

I've had a PB-2000 for maybe 2 months (possibly less) and I am still floored at how hard the bass hits, yet how clean it sounds. I am so glad I bit the bullet. And similar to your future setup, I run dual subs and have been for about 6 years now and wouldn't have it any other way. Currently my SVS is is paired with a BIC PL-200 II.

I don't have a good answer as to why I chose the SB, as I do more movies and gaming on my system than music. But I guess I was hoping to cover my bases with the Klipsch being ported already. I also read some direct comparisons about the PB hitting harder for movies and games, while the SB just sounded cleaner.

I was sure either way I wouldn't be disappointed, so I just went for it.

Thank you for the assurance on pairing my existing equipment. I will be running audyssey, so I'm in good hands.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I was sure either way I wouldn't be disappointed, so I just went for it.
The PB and SB have slightly different characteristics, as you relayed, but there really is no wrong answer here; I was just curious. And as certain as you are about not going to be disappointed, if you're anything like me, you're going to be blown away with how great SVS subs are! :D

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
Looking for some advice on how best to go about fixing my setup. I currently have a desktop PC, a Macbook Pro and a record player, with no speakers. I've used the Macbook for years, and mostly relied on the built in speakers and headphones. Essentially, I need a solution that could work for all 3 of these items with minimal cable swapping. The record player does not have a built in pre-amp, and while I do have one, I would prefer to replace it. Is there some sort of solution that could work for this? Do I need to get a receiver perhaps?

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some advice on how best to go about fixing my setup. I currently have a desktop PC, a Macbook Pro and a record player, with no speakers. I've used the Macbook for years, and mostly relied on the built in speakers and headphones. Essentially, I need a solution that could work for all 3 of these items with minimal cable swapping. The record player does not have a built in pre-amp, and while I do have one, I would prefer to replace it. Is there some sort of solution that could work for this? Do I need to get a receiver perhaps?

How much you looking to spend?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I am unfamiliar with how you've got that rigged up, but the most likely culprit for subwoofer hum would be a ground loop. I would first try an RCA ground loop isolator (~$10) between the sub and speaker you're running into, and if that doesn't work, try plugging the Subwoofer or Receiver's power into an Ebtech Hum X. Just return them if they don't work.

Thanks, I realized I'm just a fucking idiot lol. I've been using the wrong cables since I got the sub back in July. In short the sub wasn't doing anything at all. I just used some coax cable I had lying around today and now it works, no hum sound btw the sound was from a cable being inputted in a port it doesn't need to be in.

I ordered a dedicated sub cable off Amazon.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite things about the PB-2000 is how at lower volumes it doesn't overpower but does expand the sound stage tremendously.

I have kids and don't always want to listen at volume 70 (which sounds fucking awesome). At the lower volumes the bass still adds a richness that feels way more realistic.

When you turn it off the whole thing sounds much more flat

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew I wasn't imagining this...

There's a delay in the sound.

Denon AVR-X1400H receiver
XBOX One X
Samsung Q9FN

In the Denon receiver it's still the same settings. On Xbox I have chosen HDMI Audio Bitstream Out. Bitstream format Dolby Digital (even though I only have two front speakers. But that shouldn't matter right? It didn't when I had this connected to the Sony 930e)

There's no delay when I chose stereo uncompressed in the Xbox settings.

And in the Q9FN settings I have: HDMI input audio format Bitstream and the output is Doby digital. I've messed with the audio delay option but it doesn't fix it at all.

I assume this is something in the Denon settings?
is the receiver doing any scaling of the image? if so, turn that off.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LOL HDMI doesn't cause a delay, and don't use optical. Worst advice ever.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly flexible. I've been looking at some stuff like what Schiit offers, so somewhere in that price range of what their median range offerings cost.

Why don't you get something like Denon x1400h and ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 bookshelves??

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX1400H-Receiver-wireless-technology/dp/B06XYG978Z

https://www.amazon.com/ELAC-Debut-B...+debut+2.0&dpPl=1&dpID=41xPo8h5y6L&ref=plSrch

I have a Denon x3400h and ELACs and love them so much

P.s. you can find those items for cheaper

Oct 26, 2017
is the receiver doing any scaling of the image? if so, turn that off.

I really have no idea. Where can this usually be found in the settings? Video I assume right? There's only HDMI setup there, on screen display, 4K signal format and TV format.

LOL HDMI doesn't cause a delay, and don't use optical. Worst advice ever.

Optical is that bad? So the sound quality of optical of Dolby Digital is definitely worse compared to HDMI? I've never tried that out myself. Something about the Xbox and TV connect box is causing it because I had no issues on the Sony.

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era,

I need to know what the new best DAC AMP combo is. I currently own Shiit's 99$ basics but I'm thinking of spending more money.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Hey. Need new headphones. My old V-Moda (7 years old) are half broken, so I am looking for BT headphones with cable. THe V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless are around 230€, so I thought I would buy them because I liked the old ones.

Any other over ear BT headphones in that price region?