• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I'm holding out for next years LG C10 OLED TV (w/their next-gen OLED panel + HDMI 2.1 in time for next-gen consoles) and I'm considering going for the LG wireless Soundbar system equivalent to the LG SL10Y. But I will wait for next years version as well that likely(?) supports HDMI 2.1 + eARC.

Aesop

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Total Audio noob here, I don't understand how to setup my Soundbar properly. I have an LG SL4Y Soundbar connected to my C9 through Optical Out.

When I enable LG Sound Sync it lets me use the regular Magic Remote for quick volume control but the Soundbar only shows a "PCM" signal regardless of what I actually play. When i disable Sound Sync and only use Passthrough i can still use the Remote for volume control but its way slower, and the Signal info detects "DTS" from my source files (which is correct- DTS 5.1).

Do i not get the real sound quality when I use Sound Sync, i.e. PCM stereo only? Whats the correct way to set this up? Or does it not really matter and the only difference with Sync is that my TV is handling all the DTS encoding so the soundbar receives PCM from my TV?

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about upgrading my existing home theater setup from the Sony STRK790 I currently have.

Here are my devices:

-Sony X900F tv
-XB1X
-PS4
-Switch

I don't have the room for a 7.1 channel setup so I'm mainly looking at 5.1 setups.

It's been a long time since I looked at home theater setups and I'm not really sure what to look for.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Total Audio noob here, I don't understand how to setup my Soundbar properly. I have an LG SL4Y Soundbar connected to my C9 through Optical Out.

When I enable LG Sound Sync it lets me use the regular Magic Remote for quick volume control but the Soundbar only shows a "PCM" signal regardless of what I actually play. When i disable Sound Sync and only use Passthrough i can still use the Remote for volume control but its way slower, and the Signal info detects "DTS" from my source files (which is correct- DTS 5.1).

Do i not get the real sound quality when I use Sound Sync, i.e. PCM stereo only? Whats the correct way to set this up? Or does it not really matter and the only difference with Sync is that my TV is handling all the DTS encoding so the soundbar receives PCM from my TV?
Check and see if your TV is set to "Sound Sync (Optical)". If it's set to (Wireless) it looks like it is just Bluetooth.

Either way, the soundbar is 2.1, so getting DTS 5.1 from the source is not likely to make a huge difference in sound quality...unless maybe you have the optional rear speakers?

I've been thinking about upgrading my existing home theater setup from the Sony STRK790 I currently have.

Here are my devices:

-Sony X900F tv
-XB1X
-PS4
-Switch

I don't have the room for a 7.1 channel setup so I'm mainly looking at 5.1 setups.

It's been a long time since I looked at home theater setups and I'm not really sure what to look for.

Is the STR-K790 part of a pre-packaged home theatre setup?

If not, what speakers do you currently have hooked up to it?

If so, are you looking for a similar concept: a receiver and small speakers all in one package? In general, the next step up from where you're at is buying a receiver (usually from a company like Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, etc.) and speakers (from whatever speaker company you like). If possible, go to a local shop and listen to speakers from a variety of brands in your price range, and use that as a starting point.

You can go with another prepackaged setup (usually called a home theatre in a box or HTIB), but it's not likely to be a big jump from your current setup. Most HTIBs are at the lower end of the market, designed for convenience rather than quality.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I had bought an onkyo reciever and had issues with the front left height speaker and got it replaced.

Despite this I always felt like the sound was low and speech especially was hard to hear.

Just now I was trying to play luigis mansion and at the very first cutscene I noticed there was no or very low audio coming from characters like mario, etc

Also the sound of the bus disappears once it goes beyond the hill.

I restarted and played the cutscene again using the switch internal speakers and I could hear mario, and the rest of the cast as well as hear the bus go up and down the hill.

I looked online and apparently onkyo has had some issues with the front left height speaker.

I tried changing various settings, but I can't get the sound from the characters to come out clearly. Music and sound effects are fine though.

It's an onkyo ht s7800

Any advice?

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I have a noob dumb question, I have a vizio soundbar and now want to add this subwoofer to my TV https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-P...ocphy=9027118&hvtargid=pla-522764483651&psc=1

The soundbar only has inputs that I can tell, no outputs. It has RCA in and optical. The tv only has optical and aux (headphone jack) for audio out. The sub has speaker level in and RCA in. So the way I want to wire it (the only way that I can see) is optical from TV to soundbar, and then aux to RCA cable from TV to Sub, both at the same time obviously. This will work well?

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Is the STR-K790 part of a pre-packaged home theatre setup?

If not, what speakers do you currently have hooked up to it?

If so, are you looking for a similar concept: a receiver and small speakers all in one package? In general, the next step up from where you're at is buying a receiver (usually from a company like Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, etc.) and speakers (from whatever speaker company you like). If possible, go to a local shop and listen to speakers from a variety of brands in your price range, and use that as a starting point.

You can go with another prepackaged setup (usually called a home theatre in a box or HTIB), but it's not likely to be a big jump from your current setup. Most HTIBs are at the lower end of the market, designed for convenience rather than quality.

My current system is an all in one from 2005. I tripped on one of the rear speaker cables and ripped the cable out of the back rendering the speaker useless. I figured now was a good time to upgrade. I'm looking for another all in one as I don't feel like spending a shit load on audio equipment. This is what I'm currently looking at: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/home_theater_systems/yht-4950u/index.html

Can anyone recommend any soundbars with wireless rear speakers? Been interested in those as well.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
My current system is an all in one from 2005. I tripped on one of the rear speaker cables and ripped the cable out of the back rendering the speaker useless. I figured now was a good time to upgrade. I'm looking for another all in one as I don't feel like spending a shit load on audio equipment. This is what I'm currently looking at: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/home_theater_systems/yht-4950u/index.html

Can anyone recommend any soundbars with wireless rear speakers? Been interested in those as well.
That Yamaha looks pretty good - it appears to use the RX-V495 as the receiver, which reviews well. Frequently HTIBs have some sort of oddball, unique AVR that you don't see sold separately, but not in this case!

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

You can do MUCH MUCH MUCH better for $500 with Holiday sales approaching. Elac's Debut 2.0 B6.2's Bookshelves should go on sale for $150/pair again. In terms of receiver, you should also see something like a Denon X1500H going for $250 or less. At around $550, 4x B6.2's and the Denon's upgraded MultiEQ XT calibration would run circles on top of circles around those 2" plastic Yamaha satellites and base YPAO.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
You can do MUCH MUCH MUCH better for $500 with Holiday sales approaching. Elac's Debut 2.0 B6.2's Bookshelves should go on sale for $150/pair again. In terms of receiver, you should also see something like a Denon X1500H going for $250 or less. At around $550, 4x B6.2's and the Denon's upgraded MultiEQ XT calibration would run circles on top of circles around those 2" plastic Yamaha satellites and base YPAO.
This is totally true - I always forget just how low they've dropped those Elacs around the holidays. That combo would compete with much more expensive systems, let alone the Yamaha HTIB. Even if they don't do that same deal, Guts Of Thor would do well to watch around Black Friday, as they'll be able to get *way* more for their money than usual.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Does digital optical audio cable cause sound delay? Something I noticed just now: we have a Vizio Soundbar (sb3621n-e8) that does not have HDMI inputs so I had to connect it to my TV with an optical cable. I also have a modded PS Classic and was testing some games through retroarch. Specifically Super NES games like Super Mario World and Super Ghouls n Ghosts. With Mario World, the initial overworld music has certain instruments that cut off and do not play. With Ghouls and Ghosts, in the options menu, the sound the UI makes on input sounds very low in volume until I rapidly hit up or down multiple times, which then causes the volume pick up to a normal level. It's almost like my sound bar has difficulty picking up only certain sounds, but will play said sound effect properly if it played back one after the other.

When I switch audio out back to my TV, the 2 games above playback sound normal.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I need some help.

I used to have the following setup for listening to music.

PC --- (HDMI) --- Pioneer 921 receiver --- (HDMI) --- TV (1080p)

Everything worked flawlessly. I could switch between my different audio outputs (Headphones, Monitor speakers and receiver).

But now I upgraded my TV to a 4k OLED one (Sony AF9) and when I now turn on my receiver it will disconnect and reconnect with my PC all the time. Like I would plug and reinsert the hdmi cable all the time causing the music to come out of the receiver for 3-4 seconds, and then out of the montor/headphones and then out of the receiver again, once it reconnects with my PC.

It works when I unplug the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. It's not like I need the TV for listening to music. I dont need the video signal per se.
But of course I dont wanna plug and reinsert the cable everytime I wanna hear music through my PC or watching a movie via the netflix app on my TV.

It works fine when I watch Netflix on my TV and hear surround through the audio return channel (ARC) of my receiver.

Sooo...I don't know who to blame? The receiver is fairly old and doesnt support 4k. Is there an handshaking issue?

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so these sony speakers are on sale and I'm trying to figure out if they'd be an upgrade for me.

I currently have a pair of JBL TLX LR1000 and I can't seem to find -any- information on them so I'm hoping someone with some knowledge can help me out D:

Was also looking at possibly getting these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...aac45324be198f5910INT&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1 but I'm not sure the big difference between floorstanding and bookshelf speakers in a setup. I'm currently running 2 bookshelfs, a JBL center speaker and an old JBL subwoofer if that helps any.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Ok so these sony speakers are on sale and I'm trying to figure out if they'd be an upgrade for me.

I currently have a pair of JBL TLX LR1000 and I can't seem to find -any- information on them so I'm hoping someone with some knowledge can help me out D:

Was also looking at possibly getting these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...aac45324be198f5910INT&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1 but I'm not sure the big difference between floorstanding and bookshelf speakers in a setup. I'm currently running 2 bookshelfs, a JBL center speaker and an old JBL subwoofer if that helps any.

I would hold off for blackfriday and pre-bf deals. You should see Elacs Debut 2.0 line go on half off discounts which would be a big upgrade over the Sony's. There are 2 sizes of towers, bookshelves, and centers in the line I believe. If you wanted to increase the budget and step up a quality tier the KEF Q150s are currently $299/pr on pre-bf sale. I'm not familiar with your JBLs specifically, but based on the lack of information and second hand pricing I would say the Elacs would be a significant upgrade and the KEFs even moreso.

Last edited:

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
I would hold off for blackfriday and pre-bf deals. You should see Elacs Debut 2.0 line go on half off discounts which would be a big upgrade over the Sony's. There are 2 sizes of towers, bookshelves, and centers in the line I believe. If you wanted to increase the budget and step up a quality tier the KEF Q150s are currently $299/pr on pre-bf sale. I'm not familiar with your JBLs specifically, but based on the lack of information and second hand pricing I would say the Elacs would be a significant upgrade and the KEFs even moreso.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep both of those on my radar. My friend has the Elac Debut 2.0 towers and they're amazing, I just didn't have the budget for them. Hopefully that half off discount comes true~

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep both of those on my radar. My friend has the Elac Debut 2.0 towers and they're amazing, I just didn't have the budget for them. Hopefully that half off discount comes true~
Yup - keep in mind that bookshelf speaker prices are typically listed for a pair, while towers are per each. In the case of the Elacs, the lowest price historically on Amazon for the bookshelves (the Debut 2.0 B6.2's) has been $150 (a pair), while the lowest price for the towers (the F5.2's) has been $190 (each).

They are almost assuredly a big step up from both your JBLs and those Sonys, but a fair jump in price as well. To be fair, I am someone who almost always advises people to save up a bit and get better speakers, as they are by far the most important element in your system! :)

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

IIRC last year the 6.5" Towers went down to either $179 or $199 each. The 6.5" bookshelves were $149/pair. I want to say they ran the same sale back around March/April of this year, so surely you will see similar discounts towards BF. If you go with the Debut's I would probably suggest upgrading the center as well (presuming you want to continuing using one, you don't necessarily have to if you have good speaker placement and a centered main seat). Personally, I probably wouldn't buy the towers though, as at $400/pair even on sale, that same $400-$500 would buy some insanely good bookshelves. For example you could probably find dealers willing to move Revel M16's at $500/pair, especially with Holiday sales.

Last edited:

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
Yup - keep in mind that bookshelf speaker prices are typically listed for a pair, while towers are per each. In the case of the Elacs, the lowest price historically on Amazon for the bookshelves (the Debut 2.0 B6.2's) has been $150 (a pair), while the lowest price for the towers (the F5.2's) has been $190 (each).

They are almost assuredly a big step up from both your JBLs and those Sonys, but a fair jump in price as well. To be fair, I am someone who almost always advises people to save up a bit and get better speakers, as they are by far the most important element in your system! :)

The more I research the more I seem to lean towards the KEF Q150s. I have an old JBL TLX CSS Sub 1 that I can pair with them for now until I save up for something different later down the line

Zeth

Feb 8, 2018
I usually listen to Spotify through connect on my Denon AVR. But now that Amazon has high fidelity streaming I'm wondering if the in-built Denon app would support that. Anyone use it? I should try Tidal too.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Hello Audio Era, today I discovered a whole new world of audio madness.

Let me start from, well, the beginning.
I find traditional (overhead) headphones uncomfortable so I was searching the internets for behind-the-neck, over-ear solutions.
Apparently audiotechnica produced some models a few years back which would fit my needs but they seem to be out of production.

So after a hour or so I tried to open r/headphones to ask for quick suggestions...and I discovered this article:

The Verge: The Wonderful World of Chinese Hi-Fi

Inside that article there's a link to a audio review site specialized in IEMs from various Chinese manufacturers...and I had about 30€ of amazon credit.

Suffice to say that I ended up ordering a pair of reasonably priced IEMs (the RevoNext QT5, for the record).

I can't wait to try them and see how they compare to my "traditional" headphones (Superlux 681).

Is there anyone else fascinated by the chi-fi world?

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
Ended up nabbing the KEF Q150s and a Polk PSW108 sub to keep within a reasonable budget. Q150s will be here Monday, but already got the sub and it's already helped even my old speakers so I'm happy with that. I'll be running the speakers & sub through my Onkyo NR585 so I hope that handles the speakers well enough!

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I usually listen to Spotify through connect on my Denon AVR. But now that Amazon has high fidelity streaming I'm wondering if the in-built Denon app would support that. Anyone use it? I should try Tidal too.
I haven't tried it, but this link indicates that some Denon AVRs support it, with a firmware upgrade. Likely to sound better than Spotify, at least on the songs that are actually in HD quality.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got some HifiMan Anandas today! Next step is TV/living room audio. Will see what Black Friday has to offer.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Ended up nabbing the KEF Q150s and a Polk PSW108 sub to keep within a reasonable budget. Q150s will be here Monday, but already got the sub and it's already helped even my old speakers so I'm happy with that. I'll be running the speakers & sub through my Onkyo NR585 so I hope that handles the speakers well enough!
I also recently bought the KEF Q150, managed to get them for 245€. Fantastic speakers! Before that, I had the Scythe Kro Craft Speakers, so it's quite a jump.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here used the Arctis Wireless Pro's .. how do they compare to open back headsets like the GSP500? I'm curious how the extra fidelity works with these higher end headsets.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
Does digital optical audio cable cause sound delay? Something I noticed just now: we have a Vizio Soundbar (sb3621n-e8) that does not have HDMI inputs so I had to connect it to my TV with an optical cable. I also have a modded PS Classic and was testing some games through retroarch. Specifically Super NES games like Super Mario World and Super Ghouls n Ghosts. With Mario World, the initial overworld music has certain instruments that cut off and do not play. With Ghouls and Ghosts, in the options menu, the sound the UI makes on input sounds very low in volume until I rapidly hit up or down multiple times, which then causes the volume pick up to a normal level. It's almost like my sound bar has difficulty picking up only certain sounds, but will play said sound effect properly if it played back one after the other.

When I switch audio out back to my TV, the 2 games above playback sound normal.

Yeah, it's not uncommon for a slight audio delay over optical. I've had It happen with two different systems (an early HTiB and an older AVR) with different TVs.

Can you change to hooking your TV to it over RCA or 3.5mm input? See if that fixes it.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I currently have 2 Dali Zensor 5 in the front and I was wondering what the next step in fidelity/quality would be like? A store in my town suggested the Bowers & Wilkins 603. Any suggestions for Europe?

Edit: I have the Marantz SR6013 and like to listen to Classic, Rock/Punkrock, Rocket League OST and of course play games and watch movies/tv shows. I don't have a sub anymore due to placement issues, but the rest is 5.0.4

Edit: Bought the B&W 603 and the B&W HTM6. 603 sounded phenomal with the Rocket League soundtrack.

Last edited:

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Hi, i am planning to upgrade my receiver, but i would like to keep my speakers, old bose cubes with passive subwoofer.
The reason to upgrade is basically that my receiver only has spdif so I'm stuck with DD or DTS and have to disable speakers on TV to make it work,since my slim has only hdmi, so i have to use sptfif out from the TV.
So i don't need high end receiver, just one that handles 4k hdr without compromises, most that I've found only allow active subwoofers though.
Any advice?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, i am planning to upgrade my receiver, but i would like to keep my speakers, old bose cubes with passive subwoofer.
The reason to upgrade is basically that my receiver only has spdif so I'm stuck with DD or DTS and have to disable speakers on TV to make it work,since my slim has only hdmi, so i have to use sptfif out from the TV.
So i don't need high end receiver, just one that handles 4k hdr without compromises, most that I've found only allow active subwoofers though.
Any advice?
Do you happen to know the model number of your Bose system? With Bose Acoustimass setups, you run their wiring from the speaker terminals of the receiver to the Acoustimass module, which then goes to the cubes. This will work with any receiver, whether or not it mentions explicit support for passive subs. You'll tell the receiver that you don't have a sub, run all of the speakers as full-range (or "large"), and the Acoustimass module will play the low frequencies while passing along the high frequencies to the cubes.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Do you happen to know the model number of your Bose system? With Bose Acoustimass setups, you run their wiring from the speaker terminals of the receiver to the Acoustimass module, which then goes to the cubes. This will work with any receiver, whether or not it mentions explicit support for passive subs. You'll tell the receiver that you don't have a sub, run all of the speakers as full-range (or "large"), and the Acoustimass module will play the low frequencies while passing along the high frequencies to the cubes.
Oh thanks very much! It is an acoustimass 6 series II (1996 model, ouch, i am really old i guess) , but as long i can use them decently for a while by telling the receiver that i don't have a subwoofer that's great for me so i can keep using them until i change my speakers later.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh thanks very much! It is an acoustimass 6 series II (1996 model, ouch, i am really old i guess) , but as long i can use them decently for a while by telling the receiver that i don't have a subwoofer that's great for me so i can keep using them until i change my speakers later.
Yup! I just checked the manual for that model, and the advice I gave was (thankfully) correct. Interestingly, it says to set the speakers to Large except the center, which should be Small. This is odd, since all 5 speakers are identical, I think, but best to follow what they say.

Also, AVR deals during Black Friday can be pretty great, so it might be the right time to go for it.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Yup! I just checked the manual for that model, and the advice I gave was (thankfully) correct. Interestingly, it says to set the speakers to Large except the center, which should be Small. This is odd, since all 5 speakers are identical, I think, but best to follow what they say.

Also, AVR deals during Black Friday can be pretty great, so it might be the right time to go for it.
Yes! First step is to change the receiver, but if some speakers are on offer.. who knows!!!
I was thinking about Sony str-dh590, nothing extraordinary, but since i cannot use all the power because of neighbours... I think it's good enough.

Thanks again for the advice! :)

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! First step is to change the receiver, but if some speakers are on offer.. who knows!!!
I was thinking about Sony str-dh590, nothing extraordinary, but since i cannot use all the power because of neighbours... I think it's good enough.

Thanks again for the advice! :)
Sure thing! Note that getting better speakers will have a larger impact on your overall sound than just about any other change. All of the post DD/DTS sound formats like TrueHD and DTS-HD are definitely better, and a newer AVR with HDMI will be more convenient, but if you find speakers that you like the sound of, it will likely be a more noticeable upgrade.

Oct 30, 2017
Hey guys, the Sony NW-ZX507 for example has an output saying "Balanced". I guess this needs certain headphones/cables? What would be headphones/in-ears working with this output?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, the Sony NW-ZX507 for example has an output saying "Balanced". I guess this needs certain headphones/cables? What would be headphones/in-ears working with this output?
This article has a good overview of balanced connections, as they relate to headphones.

Short version: using balanced connections can be beneficial, but it isn't necessarily a big difference from unbalanced. The vast, vast majority of headphones still come with unbalanced plugs, although some aftermarket places will re-cable your cans.

Oct 30, 2017
This article has a good overview of balanced connections, as they relate to headphones.

Short version: using balanced connections can be beneficial, but it isn't necessarily a big difference from unbalanced. The vast, vast majority of headphones still come with unbalanced plugs, although some aftermarket places will re-cable your cans.
Thank you! Can I also ask you what's the deal with high impedance headphones? Some have up to 600 ohm and I was wondering what the difference is when listening to music with high/low ohm cans?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! Can I also ask you what's the deal with high impedance headphones? Some have up to 600 ohm and I was wondering what the difference is when listening to music with high/low ohm cans?
In practice, headphones rated at 600 Ω will require a headphone amp with more robust power delivery, usually meaning that they're basically for home use only. A 50 Ω set will work with the amps inside phones, etc.

We're getting outside of my knowledge sphere here, since I'm more of a loudspeaker person, but the overall "character" of a given speaker/headphone is much more important than the impedance rating. Beyerdynamic offers high-resistance versions of some of its cans, and they actually have an article dedicated to saying "the differences are slight between these, especially compared to the differences between our stuff and competitor products." In short, find the pair of headphones that sound the best to your ears, and then worry about impedance. :)

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
GearDraxon and RedlineRonin you both were right. After almost a year with both my C8 and my 5.1.2 system, I would say that while I'm still wowed by exceptional visuals -- things like HDR games, UHD discs of Planet Earth 2 or John Wick, etc. - I am still blown away by almost everything I hear in surround and especially Atmos. Shit never ever gets old.

Oct 30, 2017
In short, find the pair of headphones that sound the best to your ears, and then worry about impedance. :)
Yes, understood, thanks! It was a general "what the hell is it", so there is no worrying here. I also found a nice article on the page you linked (https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/05/balanced-vs-unbalanced-audio-connections/) about balanced versus unbalanced. Basically, every headphone can be both, it's just about the connector on the end/the cable. I am eyeing the Fiio M11 for both desktop and on-the-go use with Tidal HiFi, but it might not be necessary at all.

Oct 25, 2017
This might not be the best place for this but in terms of over ear noise cancelling headphones, is anything better than the WH1000XM3s by Sony? If not, any news about a fourth revision?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
GearDraxon and RedlineRonin you both were right. After almost a year with both my C8 and my 5.1.2 system, I would say that while I'm still wowed by exceptional visuals -- things like HDR games, UHD discs of Planet Earth 2 or John Wick, etc. - I am still blown away by almost everything I hear in surround and especially Atmos. Shit never ever gets old.
Hell yeah buddy!

It really does never get old. It just adds so much more immersion to anything. I've been playing red dead 2 on PC and it's hands down one of the most impressive HDR experiences I've ever seen (configured properly) but the environmental experience added by the audio is just fantastic. Tons of really small details like leaves moving through the surrounds or snowdrifts blowing. Audio really does it for me.

As a random aside, it's been cool to see a couple titles here and there supporting Atmos on PC too. It reminds me of HDR support two years ago on PC as it was just getting under way. Hopefully the trend continues.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah buddy!

It really does never get old. It just adds so much more immersion to anything. I've been playing red dead 2 on PC and it's hands down one of the most impressive HDR experiences I've ever seen (configured properly) but the environmental experience added by the audio is just fantastic. Tons of really small details like leaves moving through the surrounds or snowdrifts blowing. Audio really does it for me.

As a random aside, it's been cool to see a couple titles here and there supporting Atmos on PC too. It reminds me of HDR support two years ago on PC as it was just getting under way. Hopefully the trend continues.

That's awesome to hear. I've never been a big PC gamer but my laptop is getting a little long in the tooth and as an iPad family I don't need the mobility of a laptop. I'm going to build a PC next go around and see what the fuss is about.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
That's awesome to hear. I've never been a big PC gamer but my laptop is getting a little long in the tooth and as an iPad family I don't need the mobility of a laptop. I'm going to build a PC next go around and see what the fuss is about.
Yeah I've been a PC guy for a long time but it's always been essentially to just play console games at higher resolution and frame rates. I don't play any keyboard/mouse games at all. even when I play Overwatch, it's with a controller (which is always endlessly amusing to the people in chat). I run "controller companion," which is a $5 steam application that lets you control all your kb/m functionality with an Xbox controller (I think you might be able to do this natively with steam now but I've never tried).

it's been even better the last year or two as MS doubles down on PC and every Xbox exclusive is same day release on PC. Means you get a PS4 and a PC and you can pretty much play everything. It's also awesome to have the flexibility of PC settings to dial in the best experience from a framerate/resolution/graphical settings. Still the highest quality graphical gaming experience you'll ever get on your TV. And, GPU dependent of course, I can confidently say that even when the next round of consoles launch.

it's not without a few qualms here and there, but overall, I think it's the best way to play games.

also worth noting that they are mindlessly easy to build compared to how they used to be.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been a PC guy for a long time but it's always been essentially to just play console games at higher resolution and frame rates. I don't play any keyboard/mouse games at all. even when I play Overwatch, it's with a controller (which is always endlessly amusing to the people in chat). I run "controller companion," which is a $5 steam application that lets you control all your kb/m functionality with an Xbox controller (I think you might be able to do this natively with steam now but I've never tried).

it's been even better the last year or two as MS doubles down on PC and every Xbox exclusive is same day release on PC. Means you get a PS4 and a PC and you can pretty much play everything. It's also awesome to have the flexibility of PC settings to dial in the best experience from a framerate/resolution/graphical settings. Still the highest quality graphical gaming experience you'll ever get on your TV. And, GPU dependent of course, I can confidently say that even when the next round of consoles launch.

it's not without a few qualms here and there, but overall, I think it's the best way to play games.

also worth noting that they are mindlessly easy to build compared to how they used to be.

Awesome...I'll be picking your brain for sure when I look to buy the parts.

I'd probably sign up for Gamepass and play through a ton of stuff I missed by skipping the Xbox One, as well. You have Gamepass? Is it as insane as it seems?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
As Redline says below, do it. There are tons of great resources to help with the choosing and building, and the upsides are just huge.

Me in 2013: hey everyone I just want to build a $400 box that is better than my 360 and fairly small

Me today, with water-cooled 1080ti, Ryzen 3800X, 4TB of SSDs, USB hub stealth-mounted under end table for easy access: oh no

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
As Redline says below, do it. There are tons of great resources to help with the choosing and building, and the upsides are just huge.

Me in 2013: hey everyone I just want to build a $400 box that is better than my 360 and fairly small

Me today, with water-cooled 1080ti, Ryzen 3800X, 4TB of SSDs, USB hub stealth-mounted under end table for easy access: oh no

lol yeah I'd definitely do it right and get a high end one, otherwise I won't like it will be a big enough leap from today's (or tomorrow's ) console offerings. Then, PS5 would just be an exclusive box.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm just starting to build my home theater set up and thanks to many suggestions on Reddit I went for a Denon x1500 receiver. Question is, did I get a good price? I'm in Ontario, Canada so I decided to go with Gibby's https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/denon-avr-x1500h/

Wow, what a deal! Wait...

Also, sold by Gibby's.

I'm thinking on cancelling that order. See what their story is for black Friday.

What's your take on this, audioEra?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017