• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Autodesk Autodesking.

also Autodesk product collections (multiple products in a package) will be increasing by 33%. essentially, using autodesk products in a company will become more expensive. I guess it doesn't mean too much if the company makes an assload of cash to justify paying whatever autodesk demands, but some places, like Hideaki Anno's (Neon Genesis Evangalion) Studio Khara and its subsidiary, can't pay such sub costs. Khara moved off of Autodesk to Blender because of it.

from manufacturing blogger Darren Young:
Reading between the lines, it appears Autodesk is slowly trying to eliminate network licenses. Obviously, they would rather sell you two licenses as opposed to have you share onE between two users.

as he puts it, Autodesk wants to wrangle in the fact that multiple people can share a license

note, this does not affect single user subscriptions

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
If Affinity ever makes a Lightroom competitor I'm probably switching for good, it's the only thing I still have use for with Adobe.

Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher are all great extremely affordable alternatives to Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.

Agreed, but this isn't about Adobe lol

I support Autocad & 3DSmax at work, so people aren't going to be too happy about this

Oct 25, 2017
I've asked before around these parts - the occupation thread might be a good one to try too - but any active users of the software involving construction? AutoCAD, Revit, Navisworks, etc?

Need to work out where I stand come time for negotiating terms with my reseller.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Oooff this will hurt the company i work at.
They put all programmers to automate the inventor model and get a quick output. The model is quite complex too, changing to another tool would be an headache. At the same time, even with the raise of price, it's probably the cheapest? Solidworks being the closest competitor?

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Autodesk makes Adobe look like the most generous company in the world. I remember being astonished when I was looking to pick up either 3DS Max or Maya for the first time and realizing the price for one piece of software was the price of the entire Creative Suite (before CC subs). Blender's done a pretty good job of making itself more competitive, but I'd love to see even more major competition to Autodesk to bring their pricing structure back down to reality.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
probably the company I hate the most for personal reasons with adobe as a close #2. i wish they would go out of business.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Hoo boy
I got a client that uses the full BDSP package that's going to be pissed.

The per user price tag on the newer Architecture, Engineering, and Construction suite is already ridiculous.
The five seat license for this client in particular costs like $30,000 per year. That's going up!?

Last edited:

Minlack

Oct 29, 2017
I've been using Maya for years. Am currently switching over to Cinema 4D, which has come a long way since I last looked at it. Been looking to jump ship ever since the stealth price increase when they removed Mental Ray and forced you to pay extra for a renderer but charged the same price for Maya. That and persistent bugs that would never get fixed. Just got fed up!

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Maya for years. Am currently switching over to Cinema 4D, which has come a long way since I last looked at it. Been looking to jump ship ever since the stealth price increase when they removed Mental Ray and forced you to pay extra for a renderer but charged the same price for Maya. That and persistent bugs that would never get fixed. Just got fed up!
Mental Ray got depreciated by Nvidia (also, I learned that Nvidia owned Mental Ray), so there wasn't much Autodesk could do there

Minlack

Oct 29, 2017
Mental Ray got depreciated by Nvidia (also, I learned that Nvidia owned Mental Ray), so there wasn't much Autodesk could do there

Still stung suddenly being asked to pay like ÂŁ700 a year extra. Maybe they had to recoup the cost of buying Solid Angle. But seems they just passed the cost on to the user lol.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

My company uses Inventor and Mechanical for 6 users. As another user said, it's about 30k yearly. It's going up?

Oof.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck autodesk! I'm still mad about what they did to softimage. I've dumped maya for personal work for a while know. Still learning Blender, going slowly but now way i'm dealing with their bullshit.

meanwhile my zbrush license still gets me updates almost 10 years later, haven't had to pay a cent since.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I work for a subsidiary of Quikrete so we'll be fine. But thinking about some of the smaller places I've worked at, yeah they won't be too happy about this.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've been doing great business the last few years thanks to Autodesk screwing the pooch (read: their customers) with their pricing.

Thanks, guys!

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm re-learning how to draw on Sketchbook so thankfully that remains free. I think.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Wow, fuck Autodesk. This is going to massively increase costs for game and VFX studios that rely on products like Maya and Motion Builder for their visual effects pipeline.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I work in construction so my users will probably never be off Autodesk unfortunately. I hear fantastic things about Blender so hopefully more people switch to that.

One thing I've never understood about AutoCAD is why it's so slow. These models seem like they're no more intensive then your average 3D game yet many computers choke and stutter on them.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man fuck Autodesk and Adobe. Im still on student license on Maya but I think im definitely gonna be learning Blender soon.

TKRunningRiot

Oct 26, 2017
We were already moving away from Autodesk products (only using Inventor at this point, and really just my department), so this will probably just accelerate that plan.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
*blender barks, despite looking like a cat. Houdini assumes all forms of the universe, waiting for you to give it form with a question:*

"Where's the edgeloopp tool?"

I get where you're coming from. But houdinis modeling tools are solid. Same with uvs. Especially with the game shelf/houdini labs. Modeling in houdini is beautiful right now.

Blender is for organic stuff/rigging as fare as my pipeline.

Zbrush and houdini also make good bedfellows so if heard.

Once I got up to speed with rigging/modeling/uv in blender... Never looked back to Maya. Esp for the price.

I'm dropping stuff in ue4 too. So doesn't really matter where it comes from.