• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Square deserves whatever sales it gets for DQ.

Like, what did SE want from me? Buy a 80 hour RPG, then go and buy Spiderman 3 days later?

Ummm, no?

Should have released this mid August.

As it stands right now, we'll see what happens when I finish Spiderman. If I have a 2 week buffer where there is nothing interesting, then I'll probably get DQ. We'll see though.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Octopath sold 218K physical copies in July. NPD doesn't track Nintendo digital but I imagine based on precedent that it's at least 25%. So it likely sold 275K first month in July, its total sales on-par with physical sales of second-tier Nintendo exclusives like Kirby. It's successful but not at runaway levels, but there's enough evidence to indicate there are legs for the IP.

Classic JRPG franchises are seeing a bit of a resurgence, so Dragon Quest should be a more popular IP than Octopath and I'm betting it will rise above DQ9 DS's flat performance.

Thanks for the exact number.
Yeah Octopath is definitely an unexpected success, but it's not yet near the level of DQ or Persona.
Looking forward to DQ11 result. I actually don't expect it to do much better than DQ8 or DQ9 considering the release window and absence of promotion from SE.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[NSW] 218k
[PS4] 208k
[XB1] 139k

Going to be a very soft month because there was barely any software.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Depends on how the legs are I suppose. Big advantage over GoW is the number of days tracked.

It is not confirmed that Spiderman first week in USA was bigger than Gof of War (is likely, because the performance in Uk and the Benji info, however, Benji has not access to all data so while he is a good source, we don't know for sure if Spiderman launch was bigger than GoW).

That said, if Spiderman first week was bigger than GoW, i think is 99% likely it will sell more in the first NPD.

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
God of War had 3 weeks in April, Spider-Man will have all 5 weeks in September.

OP
OP

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
DQ8 sold 430k in North America.
This number always needs the caveat that it came with the FFXII demo, which was a much more desired item. DQ8 got into people's hands because of FFXII. It wasn't something purely innate about DQ8 that overcame the previous apathy toward the series in the U.S. It was a really good move by SE at the time to raise awareness for the first 3D DQ in the U.S.

What MHW has is common with DQXI?
Both are extremely popular series in Japan that have had trouble gaining comparable traction in the U.S. MHW did great, so maybe it's time for DQXI to shine, too!

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Most seem to be expecting Switch to be the top Hardware this month (including me) but I still wouldn't be surprised for PS4 to squeak out the month.

Things really start picking up after this month. Will be fun to watch it unfold.

Oct 25, 2017
Predictions seem pretty consistent this month so it would be kind of interesting to see if PS4 or XB! come out on top just to see the impact on predictions lol. I think it's going to be a pretty boring month, though. Pro shortage screws over Sony, XB1 up, but not enough, Switch wins by default, nobody low enough to warrant any real concern, there will still be attempted trolling regardless.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
1 hour and 30 minutes left to make and edit predictions.

Don't expect placements to change. Switch will be about momentum, PS4 and XB1 can increase over July depending on the effects of Madden, the 500 Million Pro supply, apparent lack of regular Pro supply, and the GameStop trade in deal for the One X.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
1 hour and 30 minutes left to make and edit predictions.

Don't expect placements to change. Switch will be about momentum, PS4 and XB1 can increase over July depending on the effects of Madden, the 500 Million Pro supply, apparent lack of regular Pro supply, and the GameStop trade in deal for the One X.
What exactly will be giving Switch momentum in August? Was there any notable release?

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
First 24 hours sales for Spidey are enormous

God of Wars record NPD opening is in legit danger of being toppled

Huge hardware boost for PS4

iirc, the ps4 sold ~300k last September without Spider-man.

How much of a boost are we talking about here for this September?

I wonder if Labo will sell above 20K this month (unlike July). We are getting close to the holiday season and it would be nice to see a positive upswing in sales this month for the beleaguered platform.

We get it...you are "concerned" about Labo sales so far in spring and summer.

Every NPD thread you make a point to state your concern...it's the first thing you always make a point to mention...and it never ends well lol. Why should August sales of Labo be any different than July?? No one expected it to be.

You saying "it's approaching holiday time" so Labo sales should have increased in August is silly.

I suggest you not worry about Labo sales until the holiday...like everyone else. Might take some stress off you! :)

Yeah it's abundantly clear they overshipped Labo stocks initially, and stores throughout the USA and Europe have just been sitting on them for a while after a good-sized initial shipment. I don't buy the "well they just shipped the entire Labo holiday stock 7 months early!" argument. That's not how the world of retail works.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo will sell more Labo this year by spreading the release of its 3 sets in Spring, Summer, and Fall than if they dumped them all in December.

Don't you?

You really don't expect Labo sales to get an uptick in November/December?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Spider-Man's explosive sales make me question that 17 million forecast from Sony again. I think they're going to blow past that.

P-switch, not cool man. There's no need to be a dick to one of the better contributors to sales age. We don't need people pushed away because of embarrassing antics like that.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Spider-Man's explosive sales make me question that 17 million forecast from Sony again. I think they're going to blow past that.

P-switch, not cool man. There's no need to be a dick to one of the better contributors to sales age. We don't need people pushed away because of embarrassing antics like that.
Yeah I think so too. Even though they probably won't have enough stock for Black Friday like last year.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Even though they probably won't have enough stock for Black Friday like last year.
or they would rather go with profits over units (cause they no longer need raw units numbers) and dont pull a BF discount only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------//-----------------------------------------------------------------------
about the labo thing, thinking matters personals is not good, but I dont think either is concern trolling

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
well, that's pretty uncool.

Is it?

There has been a couple of previous NPD threads where Aqua has stormed out of the discussions, threatening to discontinue posting because of many posters accusing her of "Labo trolling"

I honestly don't know why she keeps banging that drum still.

Every NPD thread she brings up her "concern Labo trolling"...often with absolutely no preceding context, just out of the blue. I get she's an NPD insider, but so is Matt, and he doesn't feel compelled to talk about low Labo sales every month. He rationally has said we probably need to wait till the holidays to adequately assess Labo success.

It's fascinating Aqua's consistency in bringing up Labo. If this isn't trolling, it sure is a an unhealthy obsession considering it's brought her grief in multiple threads.

If there was another videogame product she always brought up to highlight in NPD threads (good or bad)...maybe it would help. But she goes out of her way to talk about her Labo concern. Every month.

This isn't meant to be an attack...people on this forum always call out other posters who do this kind of thing constantly. Right?

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
It's facinating to see all the Labo trolls come to every thread. They come in and shit all over everyone who doesn't praise Labo and Nintendo. Aquamarine tried telling us it wasn't doing that hot and people just shit all over her.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It's fascinating Aqua's consistency in bringing up Labo. If this isn't trolling, it sure is a an unhealthy obsession considering it's brought her grief in multiple threads.

If there was another videogame product she always brought up to highlight in NPD threads (good or bad)...maybe it would help. But she goes out of her way to talk about her Labo concern. Every month.
Aquamarine is most certainly not a Nintendo hater or an anti-Ninty concern troll, if that's what you're alluding to.

Neither is she some sort of a hater who berates a company's efforts to cater to any audience besides the "core" like that one guy who got banned fro talking about Labo.

She's just sceptical about LABO.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

17 million is a big number for a console in it's 5th year. Spider-Man man will have an effect on september HW sales, but I don't think is the case of holidays sales being signifcantly bigger just because of the game.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Wow at the labo diehards / Nintendo fans attacking someone for having an opinion on their precious thing.

Wise up guys.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Labos 3rd kit has substantially lower shipment volume than both the original kit and even the robot kit

I think that pretty much tells you what retailers think about Labos sales ceiling

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Aquamarine tried telling us it wasn't doing that hot and people just shit all over her.
the problem with Labo and how all discussion always end up is that, no one here (pro or con) can actually give a proper insight how labo is doing, we discuss other games and have several thousands examples to gauge the performance of something and plausible margins. something we dont with Labo

no, knowing how much is selling is not the same as knowing how well is it doing given its not a traditional game, nor marketed as it. nor priced. etc etc etc etc. we dis

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Labo has yet to sell through it's original shipment. Either the Original Kit or the Robot Kit

Shipments levels for the 3rd entry are much lower

That's all that needs to be said frankly

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
the problem with Labo and how all discussion always end up is that, no one here (pro or con) can actually give a proper insight how labo is doing, we discuss other games and have several thousands examples to gauge the performance of something and plausible margins. something we dont with Labo

no, knowing how much is selling is not the same as knowing how well is it doing given its not a traditional game, nor marketed as it. nor priced. etc etc etc etc. we dis
This isn't true at all. This is all a deflection to distract from the poor sell through and subsequent sales.

It's perfectly fine to assume that Labo will sell more at Christmas but not being able to sell your initial stock until Christmas means something is wrong. No company wants tons of stock to rot on shelves.

Feb 26, 2018
Got a new leak about new Labo Kit. My dad works at Nintendo so you can believe me
Labo Defence Force Kit
94lkFwt2IOM.jpg

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
This isn't true at all. This is all a deflection to distract from the poor sell through and subsequent sales.

It's perfectly fine to assume that Labo will sell more at Christmas but not being able to sell your initial stock until Christmas means something is wrong. No company wants tons of stock to rot on shelves.
initial shipment =/= success or lack of it.

Labo sitting on shelves only means retailers overstocked, whether or not whatever that was enough or not to turn in a profit given sales, and dev cost is Nintendo, which iirc was positive so far.

for all we know, Retailers might have ordered 10, only sold 4, and Nintendo only needed 2 to make it a profit. (yes yes, oversimplification)

ultimately even if Labo flops, doesnt seems like a big investment type of project to hurts Nintendos bottom line.