• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tell that to poor Jay White.
1483.gif

Oct 26, 2017
UK
But I didn't look at it the same way you did. I saw it as Arisa knowing she was at a power disadvantage and trying to stay light on her feet and just strike. Like, she threw a lot of kicks and knees, but it was because grappling with Kyona was a non-starter. Her whole goal was to keep Kyona off-balance. Every time the distance closed Kyona would take advantage. Arisa's only real grappling spot was the desperation choke. So her victory was gonna have to be attrition of strikes and it was.

Hey, if you ignore the first half of the match I'd be cool with that. It could have worked well if it revolved around Arisa keeping Kyona off balance for most of the match and struggling to keep her down for 3, with Kyona occasionally getting big moves in that almost instantly ended it. I just don't think that was reflected in what we got.

Much like the finish could have seemed like a more 'epic' moment if it came straight after a Kinniku Buster kick-out and Arisa managing to slide out of the Hammer throw Powerbomb that would end the match as some genuine last chance offence. As opposed to coming after Kyona's mid-match club to the face strike.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, if you ignore the first half of the match I'd be cool with that. It could have worked well if it revolved around Arisa keeping Kyona off balance for most of the match and struggling to keep her down for 3, with Kyona occasionally getting big moves in that almost instantly ended it. I just don't think that was reflected in what we got.

Much like the finish could have seemed like a more 'epic' moment if it came straight after a Kinniku Buster kick-out and Arisa managing to slide out of the Hammer throw Powerbomb that would end the match as some genuine last chance offence. As opposed to coming after Kyona's mid-match club to the face strike.

I think the finish could have been better, but that's really the only critique I can levy.

I think the philosophy they were going for was reflected very well. It's established in the very first spot where Arisa loses the test of strength and her counter is to just trip Kyona down on the rope run. Pretty much the whole match from there is Arisa having the striking advantage and Kyona having the grappling advantage outside of a select few spots.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
lol

It's actually momoiro sparkling but i was like "wtf is that?", hit translate on the original post and was like ohhhhhhh

It's a little too generic for me. It simply can't stand next to Pandemic Booboo.

Who remembers Portia Perez? Watched an old match of hers the other day.

Canadin Ninjas were peak US women's indie.

Oh btw y'all need to see Shotzi Blackheart vs Delilah Doom from The Summit.... fucking hell that match was incredible hard hitting stuff

I've always been a fan of Shotzi.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I have a collection of puns that I invented

We need to hear them. I too am a fan of original puns.

Bugs Bunny went to the doctor because people had been repelled by him every time he got near them. The doctor also repelled into the corner when Bugs entered the room. He asked "When was the last time you washed with soap?" Bugs said, "What's soap, doc?"

I'm sorry.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think the finish could have been better, but that's really the only critique I can levy.

I think the philosophy they were going for was reflected very well. It's established in the very first spot where Arisa loses the test of strength and her counter is to just trip Kyona down on the rope run. Pretty much the whole match from there is Arisa having the striking advantage and Kyona having the grappling advantage outside of a select few spots.

It's undermined by Kyona winning the grapple game, injuring the limb with consistent attacks/long submissions/Seth Rollins selling, then fuck all coming from it. Kyona's game going in was the take out the leg which she manages to do, then she eats 500 leg based strikes and loses to 3 more leg based strikes out of nowhere. I don't think anybody misses what they were going for or how it was set up with the test of strength, heck the test of strength was all they needed to set then up rather than the 15 minutes of Seth Rollins knee work, I just think the execution was bad.

Reflecting that story well would require them to set up some genuine consequence to Kyona's grappling. Weirdly enough Miyu Yamashita vs Rika Tatsumi did a much better job of this last year. Setting up the match with Rika choking out the MEGACHAMP with her sleeper, making a fucking huge deal of that and how it was the moment where Rika became a serious contender, the match being all Miyu's strikes until Rika caught her out with her submission game slowing the match down to a pace where it looked like Miyu would actually lose to the Dragon Sleeper when it was used, then having the finish coming from Miyu using a panic strike counter to the move that took her out in the previous round to finish it.

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it'd be that easy since Reika's not with TJPW anymore (arguably she never was, as I understand it she's always been W-1 affiliated and was just freelancing in TJPW, but now she's not even doing that anymore).

Reika also had visa problems a few months ago preventing Deadlift Lolita from entering America for a convention. Her and a bunch of other idols couldn't get their visas processed in time. Given how close to the wire Shoko was at the last AEW show it might be another headache for AEW to solve.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's undermined by Kyona winning the grapple game, injuring the limb with consistent attacks/long submissions/Seth Rollins selling, then fuck all coming from it. Kyona's game going in was the take out the leg which she manages to do, then she eats 500 leg based strikes and loses to 3 more leg based strikes out of nowhere. I don't think anybody misses what they were going for or how it was set up with the test of strength, heck the test of strength was all they needed to set then up rather than the 15 minutes of Seth Rollins knee work, I just think the execution was bad.

Reflecting that story well would require them to set up some genuine consequence to Kyona's grappling. Weirdly enough Miyu Yamashita vs Rika Tatsumi did a much better job of this last year. Setting up the match with Rika choking out the MEGACHAMP with her sleeper, making a fucking huge deal of that and how it was the moment where Rika became a serious contender, the match being all Miyu's strikes until Rika caught her out with her submission game slowing the match down to a pace where it looked like Miyu would actually lose to the Dragon Sleeper when it was used, then having the finish coming from Miyu using a panic strike counter to the move that took her out in the previous round to finish it.

I think I just have a higher tolerance for selective selling than you do

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think I just have a higher tolerance for selective selling than you do

Yeah, I get that a whole lot of folks like that style. I've chilled on it more than I used to criticise it, I just can't ignore it when it happens and the huge part of match is meant to be built around an injury.

To be honest I think Momo's come a long way on that front this year. She's started to do a really smart little thing where she'll adjust her running with a little limb whenever she's had people work on her legs.

Let them win the tag titles. Misao can go solo and challenge Shoko.

I really need to see what singles Misao can do. Her stint with Miyu was one of my favourite parts of the show. Plus seeing Miu win a title would be cool, it feels like she's managed to overtake Hikarai as the no.1 Up UP Girl.

I'm sorry if you read any of my takes today Matt

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
No lie, Up Up Girls are very easily a top contender for Most Improved this year. I'm sure people would just vote for The Joker Bray but it is what it is

Hikari is still the GOAT though

Aeon712

May 1, 2018
Watched the Roman vs Buddy match, cant remember the last time I seen Roman go like that. Didnt expect Vince to allow Buddy look good and Murphys Law is protected. Buddy or Drew for King of the Ring.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If they just let KOTR be what Drew vs. Cedric and Roman vs. Murphy were the last two shows, they've got a solid few weeks locked up.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what big opening match they'll do for the first week of NXT live.

John Cena vs Adam Cole, baybay!

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Embracing selective selling is the only sane way to watch wrestling.

Something something about Curt Schilling's bloody sock.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the big dawg picking on little cruiserweight man?
If you're serious, Roman's currently trying to figure out who is trying to kill/maim him. Old school Who Dunnit. Currently Samoa Joe, Buddy Murphy, Rowan, and maybe Daniel Bryan have been pegged as suspects.

Buddy and Roman had a tiff in the back over Buddy keeping mum over the incident leading to the match tonight even though Buddy claims to have nothing to do with it (and saying even if he did he wouldn't tell Roman), but did finger Rowan as being in the area at the time of the incident. Rowan attacked Buddy on the Summerslam Preshow saying "Keep my name out of your mouth!".

Meanwhile Bryan and Rowan have been conducting their own investigation and say they'll name the culprit next week. As weird as it is this is the most invested in a WWE story I've been in for a good long while. If it keeps leading to matches like Murphy/Reigns then I'm all for it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
They've successfully contrived a scenario where I think Roman would make a more likable Universal champion than Seth.

Thats pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.