• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
Pros and Cons of RDR2 after about 4-5 hours (somewhere in Chapter 2)

Pro
It looks and sounds amazing
it is the most polished open world game at launch that I can recall.
The attention to detail is phenomenal
a technical masterpiece (playing in 4k on X1X)

Cons
It is sluggish to control and do anything
UI is an absolute mess
Focus on details has made the game more about resource management than i would like and some of it looks like it will be a pain in the arse
If I was 15, I would categorise this game as boring AF, at least at the start. But I'm not, so I'll just say it's boring as fuck, at least at the start.
100% agree.

I'm ready to argue it has the best audio design in a game ever. Absolutely blown away in that regard. Makes games that label themselves immersive seem like a joke.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Pros and Cons of RDR2 after about 4-5 hours (somewhere in Chapter 2)

Pro
It looks and sounds amazing
it is the most polished open world game at launch that I can recall.
The attention to detail is phenomenal
a technical masterpiece (playing in 4k on X1X)

Cons
It is sluggish to control and do anything
UI is an absolute mess
Focus on details has made the game more about resource management than i would like and some of it looks like it will be a pain in the arse
If I was 15, I would categorise this game as boring AF, at least at the start. But I'm not, so I'll just say it's boring as fuck, at least at the start.
Yeah that's a pretty good summary. A few things I'd add:

• Actually GTA V was super-polished at launch too, and most Rockstar games have been. Their QA guys must work their absolute arses off trying to find everything.
  • Controls seem fine to me. I needed to disable the deadzone, and max acceleration and sensitivity, but with that change they were very comfortable for me.
  • I was worried about the resource management too, because the game seemed to be hinting at it, but it turns out that that's absolutely not an issue, at least as of chapter 3.
  • It definitely has a slower, more laidback pace. I love that.
  • Menu design is indeed poor.
  • It feels more like a world, as opposed to a video game approximation of a world, than anything I've ever played.

Oct 28, 2017
Does Red Dead Redemption 2 get away from being a totally stereotypical Western like the first game was? As great as the open world was in that game, the thing that actually took me out was how derivative the story was to anyone well versed in the Western genre. I would actually go "huh, that scene is literally taken straight from X film" and "geez, this theme is something I've seen discussed a million times before" in the middle of playing, they weren't exactly careful about hiding their "influences".

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Does Red Dead Redemption 2 get away from being a totally stereotypical Western like the first game was? As great as the open world was in that game, the thing that actually took me out was how derivative the story was to anyone well versed in the Western genre. I would actually go "huh, that scene is literally taken straight from X film" and "geez, this theme is something I've seen discussed a million times before" in the middle of playing, they weren't exactly careful about hiding their "influences".
That's Rockstar games in a nutshell. There are even some fourth wall breaking references to that in GTA V.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
Degradation in RDR2 would make Far Cry 2 blush.
Meter and degradation for health.
Meter and degradation for stamina.
Meter and degradation for bullet time.
Meter and degradation for horse health.
Meter and degradation for horse stamina.

Not even taking into account individual weapon degradation. Phew.

Mini games are insanely slow. Game of dominos took nearly an hour, animations and controls are sooooooo slow.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Degradation in RDR2 would make Far Cry 2 blush.
Meter and degradation for health.
Meter and degradation for stamina.
Meter and degradation for bullet time.
Meter and degradation for horse health.
Meter and degradation for horse stamina.

Not even taking into account individual weapon degradation. Phew.

Mini games are insanely slow. Game of dominos took nearly an hour, animations and controls are sooooooo slow.
Sleeping and hitching your horse resets all of that stuff, and for weapons you just highlight it and press R3 followed by square (I think?) to return the gun to max, so it's pretty straightforward.

For me, the most annoying things are not having a way to fast travel to camp, the fact that you can carry bugger all animal carcasses and they decay rapidly, and the overweight/underweight system.

I never eat anything or feed my horse anything (don't need to, just sleep and hitch when returning to camp), so we're both permanently underweight, and it will be that way for the entire playthrough. Makes you wonder what the point of that system even is.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
I keep trying to use gun oil but the square 'clean' option is greyed out despite having like 10% condition.

Also when I made camp in the middle of nowhere my horse disappeared back to home base :(

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like another Witcher 3 on console to me, I'll pass for now. Those controls are so important and hearing about resource management = snoozefest.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
That's weird, you're the first person I've heard having that bug. That really sucks, I'd be raising that with Rockstar support.

Sounds like another Witcher 3 on console to me, I'll pass for now. Those controls are so important and hearing about resource management = snoozefest.
The Witcher 3 is the best game of this generation IMHO, so we must see games quite differently. But I will say that even for ADHD-type gamers who don't want that slower, more immersive type of experience, the combat itself is still a heap of fun:

Last edited:

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Witcher 3 is the best game of this generation IMHO, so we must see games quite differently. But I will say that even for ADHD-type gamers who don't want that slower, more immersive type of experience, the combat itself is still a heap of fun:

I was really getting into W3 on xbox during the first act (small map), after that amount of time with the janky movement and poor combat controls I saw the full map and menu items to manage...noped the fuck out of that game. Too much for me TBH. Loved the atmosphere, details, story, art, characters but the sheer annoyance of the controls and resource management put me off.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I was really getting into W3 on xbox during the first act (small map), after that amount of time with the janky movement and poor combat controls I saw the full map and menu items to manage...noped the fuck out of that game. Too much for me TBH. Loved the atmosphere, details, story, art, characters but the sheer annoyance of the controls and resource management put me off.
Many people say they don't like the W3 controls. On foot movement was sort of twitchy, but being an RPG it never really bothered me, because it didn't really require super-precise on foot walking controls. Combat felt good to me though, it's no Dragon's Dogma but I still had a lot of fun with it. This was a super OP end game build, but it's the only real footage I have:

I had a great time just carving bandits up, and even after I finished the game and all of the DLC, I still went around attacking bandit camps just for the fun of it :)

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
well we can't get a matt and liam deltrarune (liam is already all up on that) but whats the next best thing

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Its too hot in Sydney. Walking back from the bus stop felt like a Herculaneum task.

Witcher 3 is my favorite game ever, but I concur it can be overwhelming when it comes to massive amount of tasks and the fucking inventory system which was awful. Carry limits in games should be a crime

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i went to the shops around 7:30 or so and it was still oppressive as balls outside though it started raining shortly thereafter

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Realistically, if you're not naming your horse "My Lovely Horse", you're not doing it right.

Last edited:

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Target have the Starlink starter packs for $89. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it, because the digital edition gets more gameplay stuff, but, you know, toy Arwing.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Realistically, if you're not naming your horse "My Lovely Horse", you're not doing it right.

The system had other suggestions for me.

IMrUOpp.jpg

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sold my old Xbox One S to a neighbour shouting over the fence whilst sitting on the balcony having a beer yesterday arvo.

MASTER SALESMAN

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Sold my old Xbox One S to a neighbour shouting over the fence whilst sitting on the balcony having a beer yesterday arvo.

MASTER SALESMAN

the only way you could have been more aussie if is either of you were in a ute or you were selling a ute, although tbh i think a used xbox one s is also a very australian thing to sell

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Many people say they don't like the W3 controls. On foot movement was sort of twitchy, but being an RPG it never really bothered me, because it didn't really require super-precise on foot walking controls. Combat felt good to me though, it's no Dragon's Dogma but I still had a lot of fun with it. This was a super OP end game build, but it's the only real footage I have:

I had a great time just carving bandits up, and even after I finished the game and all of the DLC, I still went around attacking bandit camps just for the fun of it :)

Some cool clips in there but I can't un-see the amount of 360 attack and "hitting blank" space while enemies die or move etc. It look like your build just accounts for killing anything within a wide radius and direction be damned. I guess that would alleviate the need for direction combat :)

Mostly I found the controls around pickups and gathering a total pain, once the inventory list exploded so did the gathering or combining requirements. It just got too repetitive to slightly run past or misalign an enemy then wait for animation to finish or circle around to pickup a flower etc.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I keep trying to use gun oil but the square 'clean' option is greyed out despite having like 10% condition.

Also when I made camp in the middle of nowhere my horse disappeared back to home base :(
Rep, are you unable to feed or groom your horse either? Someone in the OT is reporting that they can't do those three things too (clean gun, feed horse, groom horse).

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i'm gonna buy that them there hitmans 2 so i can maybe play it this weekenders

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
if you pre buy it lets you play early because it's 2018 and thats how games work

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I've only completed chapter 1 and I'm amazed at how badly the whole thing controls and how overly complex everything is.
There are a few videos on youtube which have reccomendations for changing the control settings in RDR2. Definitely take a look because the default controls in this game are feel very sluggish.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
There are a few videos on youtube which have reccomendations for changing the control settings in RDR2. Definitely take a look because the default controls in this game are feel very sluggish.
The OP of the RDR2 OT has a controls suggestion too, complete with screenshots.

Basically, zero deadzone, max acceleration, and really high sensitivity. On top of that, I recommend the Standard FPS layout, with toggle to run turned on, but that's personal preference.