• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Do you already have private health insurance? I'm guessing no, but just covering bases
Correct, I do not already have any private health insurance.
You really should have insurance if your income is anywhere approaching the Medicare levy threshold or you're near 30. Otherwise, maybe paying full price for a one-off visit is going to be cheaper over the course of a year than the insurance plus extras.

Insurance with basic extras is worth it if you wear glasses, need dental or ever need physio, but don't fall for the extras that give you "free" massages and whatnot. They almost always have limits on them that mean that it'll be cheaper for you to just pay for the massages full price.
Work full-time, but am nowhere near the $90,000 Medicare threshold though. Am 23, don't wear glasses or need physio (although am just dipping my toes into the gym life so maybe I should plan for that?).
Thought I'd ask before looking at plans in case anyone had any definitive or salient arguments for/against :) also unsure how the whole insurance system 'works', but I can figure that out myself.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)

They should change their name to the Australian Secret Police.

The raid comes the day after Australian Federal Police raided the home of News Corp journalist Annika Smethurst in connection with a 2018 story she authored concerning top-secret plans to expand surveillance of Australian citizens.

This is why we need Wikileaks (or the like).

Oct 25, 2017
The guy who drove his Ute down the cycle path and yelled at the two (off duty policemen) cyclists riding on the road was convicted and fined:

Because it happened on a double demerits weekend he lost 16 points off his licence in one go.
Hmm feel like 16 demerits and a 1250 fine is pretty bullshit, but then again driving on the bike path is insane, but then again again, riding two abrest like that on a rural road with an empty path is mega bullshit. "shared pedestrian and bike path" who the fuck is going for a walk out there? was he meant to just chill at like 20kph until the cops decided to let him past? but hey w/e

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
like tbh when i was in japan if there werent any cars around i would just do whatever on the roads when i was on my bike, because i mean, if there's no cars around, who actually cares

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Hmm feel like 16 demerits and a 1250 fine is pretty bullshit, but then again driving on the bike path is insane, but then again again, riding two abrest like that on a rural road with an empty path is mega bullshit. "shared pedestrian and bike path" who the fuck is going for a walk out there? was he meant to just chill at like 20kph until the cops decided to let him past? but hey w/e
As someone who's actually driven down that road on many occasions, I've never seen anyone (cyclist or pedestrian) actually using that bike path.

"What's the point of us spending this money if you're not going to use it, you fucking dickheads?"
"Use the fucking bike track, you dumb cunt."

I mean, he's not wrong. But at the end of the day it's not against the law to be a fucking dickhead and a dumb cunt, but it is against the law to drive on the bike path, while using a mobile phone, and using offensive language. That last one is pretty harsh though.

Nov 3, 2017
Been reading the news on the George Pell appeal and sounds like the Prosecution really shit the bed

Motherfucker might actually walk free

Nov 3, 2017
Literally fuck this country if he walks on a technicality due to shoddy prosecution.

It won't be a technically - Defence mounted a strong argument, which is fine and to be expected.

The problem was that the Prosecution gave a monumentally bad performance by not only accidentally naming the victim who was meant to be anonymous, but stumbling so hard that at one point, the Judges were effectively guiding him through his own argument

The good news is that unlike TV, real cases aren't settled by dramatic performances. The Judges have read the submissions, they've seen the evidence and oral argument is just one portion of the totality of their consideration. The bad news is that Prosecution really, really fucked up their oral argument

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand this appeal, I thought you could only appeal with new evidence or events etc? Don't like the outcome, fuck it appeal anyway? Reading the 13 or so points Pell's team put forward there wasn't anything new in their arguments, why does it even get to appeals?

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
jokdW3x.jpg

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for the Nintendo Direct.

By the way, there's this little known Switch game called Skyrim and it is kind of dope. I got lost on my way to my first quest and already I've gotten lost, wandered into a vampire's lair, looted it for weapons, wandered into a bandit's hut, killed the bandit (in self defence mind you) and found a whole cave behind his bed that's also crawling with bandits.

I am thoroughly confused by everything and it's pretty great.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Doom Eternal is looking amazing. I don't play a lot of shooters but loved the 2016 game because of how good the movement felt and it looks like they're really expanding on that.

I have no idea what the heck's going on with that Commander Keen mobile game but whatever, even though I loved the games as a kid, no big deal that it's getting brought back in a way that doesn't interest me.

I don't really know how I feel about Microsoft buying Double Fine. On the one hand I guess it's good if it's going to bring extra stability for the folks working there, but as someone without an Xbox and only a fairly week laptop for a PC I feel like I might be missing out going forward.

Other than that, eh. The leaked/rumoured Square-Enix stuff sounds pretty amazing though, even though none of it is technically new games. Looking forward to confirmation of that and then whatever happens with Nintendo.

e: oh yeah, and Keanu at the Microsoft conference was really adorable

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
FF7R coming out in 9 months is *nuts*, can't wait.

Will be interesting to see how they wind up splitting it up. All the focus has been on Midgar so far and leaving the city makes sense in terms of a big, exciting end point but I also can't really imagine how much they'd be stretching to fill that out to a 20-30 hour game.

Still waiting for the most important confirmation of all: the return of crossdressing Cloud.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see how they wind up splitting it up. All the focus has been on Midgar so far and leaving the city makes sense in terms of a big, exciting end point but I also can't really imagine how much they'd be stretching to fill that out to a 20-30 hour game.

Still waiting for the most important confirmation of all: the return of crossdressing Cloud.
Expect him to have a pink wig

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
owner sold our apartment so we gotta move, 30 days notice. i suddenly understand the joys of home ownership

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has anybody had experience with Paypal limiting your account based on you potentiall being a 'politically exposed person'?

I'm butting heads with Paypal (I want to say locally but of course the call centre is probably located on the largest moon of Jupiter) for these reasons as I type this.

The thing is though I've been asked to go through this rigmarole before.

The gentlemen on the line could only provide basic info on the why-for's but apparently it has something to do with my sharing a name with someone who's either a politician, a judge, or similarly important. ASIC directive.

I'm ropable!

Sorry I only saw this today opening the thread at the top of page.

PEP (politically exposed person) runs from third party suppliers to PayPal, companies like Nomino supply such data on individuals around the globe. Basically as you've explained there is a mismatch with you and someone else. If you provide enough data to PayPal e.g. name, DOB, country of birth, drivers license etc. you can request they rerun your PEP verification so you don't return as a mismatch or a false positive.

I have a client who uses PEP integration and it's constantly mismatching people based on data points not matching etc. It's sad they know you're not the person who has PEP record and still limit your account. It's an automated system that's not 100% accurate, as you can tell.

My advice is to simply push PayPal to identify you further, proving you're not that person, getting a better match of you/your identity data so you pass the PEP check just fine. Once that is done you should be within the threshold of their automated system to return normal PayPal account usage. There is a Sydney number for PayPal support, you can sometimes get an local Australian during business hours.

Beyond that finding out who PayPal use as their data supplier for PEP checks and approaching them directly for support could be another avenue.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA

They confirmed that ages ago, expect it to be awesome!

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Everything they showed of FFVII looks amazing. I'm still iffy on how the composition of the game is going to break down but the combat looks like a lot of fun - a great improvement over what was in XV in terms of bringing an action system to the series while integrating tactical menus, the graphics are gorgeous, and all the characters we've seen so far look great.

I also didn't expect the new version of Final Fantasy VIII to get as much work as it has. I figured it'd look pretty much the same but have the built in speed up and cheats that they put into rereleases nowadays but completely new character models mean I'm gonna be down to buy that next time I want to replay the game instead of sticking to my PSN download on Vita

Expect him to have a pink wig

Since him getting a wig is part of that quest line anyway I wouldn't mind if they included an alternative pink one as a bit of a cheeky wink to the whole "Lightning looks like girl Cloud" thing

They confirmed that ages ago, expect it to be awesome!

Oh, nice

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The YouTube video by MuiTube mentioned in the article has been taken down. It was still up earlier this morning.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know that getting the NBN, just FttN, would mean going without the internet for "a minimum of 5-10 business days". And it's 2x 4 hour visits where they dig a trench from the street and drill a hole through your wall. And they could charge an extra $300 if the existing cable isn't good enough. And if you don't get the NBN within up to 18 months after it becomes available in your area, your landline (which we still use) and internet get disconnected.

And it's just for an alleged 40 Mbps.

How is everyone expected to go through this? Was Optus giving me the wrong information?