• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I didn't know that getting the NBN, just FttN, would mean going without the internet for "a minimum of 5-10 business days". And it's 2x 4 hour visits where they dig a trench from the street and drill a hole through your wall. And they could charge an extra $300 if the existing cable isn't good enough. And if you don't get the NBN within up to 18 months after it becomes available in your area, your landline (which we still use) and internet get disconnected.

And it's just for an alleged 40 Mbps.

How is everyone expected to go through this? Was Optus giving me the wrong information?

Getting NBN (fttc) installed tomorrow. Also with optus. Received the DIY kit today. They didn't say anything about downtime. Technician will visit tomorrow and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

We get fibre to the curb and from there it's the existing hfc cable to the house. On the "premium" 100/40 plan for $99/month.

And since I've been on optus cable for two years, they are letting me stay off contract and no installation fees.

You shouldn't have to pay for any sort of cabling or otherwise.

Last edited:

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Getting NBN (fttc) installed tomorrow. Also with optus. Received the DIY kit today. They didn't say anything about downtime. Technician will visit tomorrow and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

We get fibre to the curb and from there it's the existing hfc cable to the house. On the "premium" 100/40 plan for $99/month.

And since I've been on optus cable for two years, they are letting me stay off contract and no installation fees.

That sounds great. It looks like it varies a lot based on circumstances.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
everything about the nbn rollout is shit
It's fantastic if you have a home business because of the better upload speeds.

I don't have a home business. For me it has meant my internet has slower max downstream speeds, much slower downstream speeds in peak, and now suffers regular outages and dropouts. And it costs exactly the same as my old service, despite being demonstrably worse.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
I didn't know that getting the NBN, just FttN, would mean going without the internet for "a minimum of 5-10 business days". And it's 2x 4 hour visits where they dig a trench from the street and drill a hole through your wall. And they could charge an extra $300 if the existing cable isn't good enough. And if you don't get the NBN within up to 18 months after it becomes available in your area, your landline (which we still use) and internet get disconnected.

And it's just for an alleged 40 Mbps.

How is everyone expected to go through this? Was Optus giving me the wrong information?
Wow that fuckin sucks.

Mine was legit just swapping the router/modem once they told me it was up and running (FttN).

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i've just moved into a new apartment and i'm getting my old service ported over but i fear it's going to be nightmare city.

mikezilla2

Oct 28, 2017

thats a thing ?

i mean i understood it with the other connctions but fibre to Coax ....

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Isn't that just HFC? The 'F' being the fibre part of the run, and the 'C' being the coaxial part of the run? Or is this just to distinguish it as having a longer fibre run than other HFC areas?

Also it still annoys me that it's not fibre to the kerb in this country.

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
On the topic of NBN, I'm scheduled to have HFC set up on Friday afternoon. Since I had foxtel briefly decades ago, hopefully it goes fairly smoothly (unlike say my grandmother's house, which is in an in-fill area and got marked as ready-to-connect before the cables were even in the ground, necessitating multiple visits from nbn). The existing foxtel outlet isn't in an ideal place for an internet hub though, so i'm hoping the tech that comes is willing to do more than just plug their box in.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
NBN connected. There are 2 devices, one from NBN and another from Optus. Both need to be connected to power.

Optus was wrong about the cable. FttC only works with Telstra cable so we had to connect it to the old phone socket. So much for avoiding copper :(

At least the technician was honest and said the tech is already obsolete and so convoluted to install and set up.

Also the nbn box has issues running with ethernet over power adapters, RIP.

Optus Cable $90/month 80 down 2(lul) up on 100mbps plan.
Optus NBN $99/month 100 down 40 up on 100mbps plan.

Last edited:

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Been several months in Australia without weed.... if anyone know someone I could buy weed from in Canberra would make me so much happier :)
You're in the wrong state dude. Come to South Australia if you want weed. Just be aware our economy is fucked for young people and there aren't any decent jobs.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Optus Cable $90/month 80 up 2(lul) down on 100mbps plan.
Optus NBN $99/month 100 up 40 down on 100mbps plan.
For me it was:

Telstra Cable Bundle: $99/month, 112Mb/s down, 2.4Mb/s up - no outages, rock solid reliability, strong in peak
Telstra NBN Bundle: $99/month, 100Mb/s down, 40Mb/s up - outages galore, flakey as fuck, shithouse in peak

For me the speed difference was significant. On Telstra cable I regularly saw 14MB/s sustained (112Mb/s). On NBN the best I've ever seen is 11MB/s sustained (88Mb/s), and even that is extremely rare.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
sent tpg a mail to transfer internet yesterday... haven't got back yet... love the customer retention experience. if i wasn't locked into the remainder of a two year contract i'd have defected to aussie broadband by now

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
You're in the wrong state dude. Come to South Australia if you want weed. Just be aware our economy is fucked for young people and there aren't any decent jobs.
Moving all the way to South Australia for weed is just too much. I was hoping to find a good dealer with clean weed and good price ,but its just hard. I guess I gotta suck it up until they do something with the cannabis bill.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Just got let go from my full-time work. Not looking forward to the likelihood of needing to travel to Sydney for work on a daily basis for future roles in communication/media/marketing, but it is what it is. If any of you lot know of any jobs going in those fields, please PM me!

And while I'm at it, what are some of the best tips for cutting back costs while I'm looking to get back on my feet? Already cancelled Netflix/Spotify </3

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
For me it was:

Telstra Cable Bundle: $99/month, 112Mb/s down, 2.4Mb/s up - no outages, rock solid reliability, strong in peak
Telstra NBN Bundle: $99/month, 100Mb/s down, 40Mb/s up - outages galore, flakey as fuck, shithouse in peak

For me the speed difference was significant. On Telstra cable I regularly saw 14MB/s sustained (112Mb/s). On NBN the best I've ever seen is 11MB/s sustained (88Mb/s), and even that is extremely rare.

Telstra cable is definitely better than Optus. Also the modem that optus supplied was 8 years old and rubbish. Glad to be rid of that at least.

Getting a solid 11-12MB/s down right now so happy with that, cable could never go past 9MB/s even on ethernet.

Can feel the significant difference in browsing speed, how quick websites open, and videos start streaming. Also we're the only ones on our street on the NBN right now, so hopefully won't have to deal with peak load issues for a while.

I just don't understand why the whole setup and infrastructure is so messed up. Having to plug in 2 devices, ethernet over power doesn't work, modem reboot takes a good 10 mins...

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Only a little starstruck :/
D-GfDf6UEAAGosW.jpg

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
boy relocating internet via phone is a paaaaaain. gotta downgrade to NBN-FTTB and still gonna have a gap of like 2-3 days of internet... and then still gotta figure out how to wire up my bedroom with cable

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i guess if relocate and need a new contract over phone they have to play an auto message that just reads the entire T&C at you... been about 5 minutes so far and still going...

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Just got let go from my full-time work. Not looking forward to the likelihood of needing to travel to Sydney for work on a daily basis for future roles in communication/media/marketing, but it is what it is. If any of you lot know of any jobs going in those fields, please PM me!

And while I'm at it, what are some of the best tips for cutting back costs while I'm looking to get back on my feet? Already cancelled Netflix/Spotify </3
Of you've been with them for more than a year, change your electricity provider. You can get pretty sweet deals with other providers as a new customer.

See if you can change mobile phone plans. I went from Telstra to Belong and cut my bill by two thirds.

Get your fruit and veg from farmer's markets (get up early on a weekday if you have to - you have time now) and your meat / non perishables from Aldi. Also, try to eat every last thing in your freezer and pantry before you buy new stuff.

Hit up your local library for your entertainment needs. Good books, DVDs and audio entertainment all available for free.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA

Sorry to hear about your job situation :(

Biggest thing is do a spreadsheet with all your costs then evaluate each cost to find a way to reduce the $$$ while still enjoying each item. Like was said above, look at all your overheads and how you can reduce them without cutting things out entirely as that's a quick path to a really bleak mental space. Shop once a week at the cheapest place possible (for us that's Aldi).

Hopefully you can pickup some casual work off Facebook/Gumtree while on the hunt for something full time.

Only a little starstruck :/
D-GfDf6UEAAGosW.jpg
Ha, my kids would flip their shit if they saw him on the street!

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Of you've been with them for more than a year, change your electricity provider. You can get pretty sweet deals with other providers as a new customer.

See if you can change mobile phone plans. I went from Telstra to Belong and cut my bill by two thirds.

Get your fruit and veg from farmer's markets (get up early on a weekday if you have to - you have time now) and your meat / non perishables from Aldi. Also, try to eat every last thing in your freezer and pantry before you buy new stuff.

Hit up your local library for your entertainment needs. Good books, DVDs and audio entertainment all available for free.
Sorry to hear about your job situation :(

Biggest thing is do a spreadsheet with all your costs then evaluate each cost to find a way to reduce the $$$ while still enjoying each item. Like was said above, look at all your overheads and how you can reduce them without cutting things out entirely as that's a quick path to a really bleak mental space. Shop once a week at the cheapest place possible (for us that's Aldi).

Hopefully you can pickup some casual work off Facebook/Gumtree while on the hunt for something full time.

Ha, my kids would flip their shit if they saw him on the street!
Thanks for the tips guys, appreciate it. Will definitely put these into practice.

The wonderful bastards over at InsertCoin Clothing just had to choose this time to drop this which I really want, but alas.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
New update to the KFC secret menu, after the disappointing Nug a lot burger comes the triple stacker

B4w46aD.jpg

Having this for lunch, if I die than I die doing what I loved, engaging in wildly irresponsible eating.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
They got rid of the sweet chilli twister recently, which is what I'd get there.

Nando's is twice the price but 5x better.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I went out for our anniversary and ate at Sono (a Japanese Restaurant). We had a tasting course and while you're only getting a little at a time, it ends up being a humongous meal for the low low price of a video game console.

It was a fantastic and memorable experience. 10/10 would splurge again.

EDIT: Also, this meal reminded me how much I like sake - sip the stuff they serve you though, girls and boys, it goes to your head right quick

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I felt that burger the rest of the day yesterday, oof. Next time I might avoid doing that on a day I'm going back to work!!