• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Hey all, I'm heading to Cambodia and Vietnam soon for a couple weeks. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for activities in either country? I'm pretty adventurous, keen to try pretty much anything!

roosters93

Oct 25, 2017
just watched the Adam Goodes doco The Final Quarter...fark. The events depicted are a few years ago now, but feels like nothing much has changed.

Mar 22, 2019
It finally happened today - been with Telstra Cable for +3yrs now and its been great.
Got the litter saying its being shut off in November so its time to jump be forced into NBN - and it looks like my only option is nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC).

Whats the latest recommendation on NBN given that? I'm tempted just to stick with Telstra but I rely on a strong internet connection for my work.
Any good comparison sites fellow AUSGAF can recommend?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
It finally happened today - been with Telstra Cable for +3yrs now and its been great.
Got the litter saying its being shut off in November so its time to jump be forced into NBN - and it looks like my only option is nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC).

Whats the latest recommendation on NBN given that? I'm tempted just to stick with Telstra but I rely on a strong internet connection for my work.
Any good comparison sites fellow AUSGAF can recommend?
I went through this exact same process (Telstra Cable --> Telstra NBN HFC).

What you can expect:
  • During the transition period, your Telstra Cable will go to shit.
  • During the transition period, when you move to NBN HFC, that will be shit too.
  • After the transition period has ended, your Telstra NBN HFC will be noticeably worse than your Telstra Cable was with respect to both downstream speed and stability.
  • If you have a home phone line, be aware that it will be highly unreliable once you're on the NBN. If you need it urgently then you'll need to take extra measures to safeguard its reliability.
Basically, my internet and home phone are now both noticeably worse than they were before the NBN came along.

However, if you're running a home business then you get a higher upstream speed, so it's good news for everyone running a home business. Although, then again, the regular outages are probably not fantastic for people running a home business, so maybe it's not better for anyone.

Mar 22, 2019

What you can expect:
  • During the transition period, when you move to NBN HFC, that will be shit too.
  • After the transition period has ended, your Telstra NBN HFC will be noticeably worse than your Telstra Cable was with respect to both downstream speed and stability.
  • If you have a home phone line, be aware that it will be highly unreliable once you're on the NBN. If you need it urgently then you'll need to take extra measures to safeguard its reliability.
Basically, my internet and home phone are now both noticeably worse than they were before the NBN came along.

However, if you're running a home business then you get a higher upstream speed, so it's good news for everyone running a home business. Although, then again, the regular outages are probably not fantastic for people running a home business, so maybe it's not better for anyone.

God I love this country.
Looking at plans - Aussie Broadband seems pretty well received vs Telstra...

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I hate online community on Australia.

I play overwatch a lot and there is so many racists making fun of my accent and calling me foreigner cunt and to leave the country and such

( mostly making fun of my accent tho, but still equally annoying and mentally exhausting)
I laughed it off first few times ,but its exhausting when every few games you find someone that focuses his energy on making fun of you instead of focusing on winning the games.

Sad cause when I lived in the US it wasn't that bad before :(

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know why but i always heard overwatch was the most racist voice community despite being possibly the most progressive-ass game out there. Certainly back in my TF2 days when i used voicecom a lot more it was pretty chill.

OP
OP
jambo

jambo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played CSGO for about 18 months, but the voice chat was awful, even in ranked. Most nights playing I would report multiple people.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong

I play overwatch a lot and there is so many racists making fun of my accent and calling me foreigner cunt and to leave the country and such

( mostly making fun of my accent tho, but still equally annoying and mentally exhausting)
I laughed it off first few times ,but its exhausting when every few games you find someone that focuses his energy on making fun of you instead of focusing on winning the games.

That's shit mate, sorry to hear. Even as a white guy I don't use voice chat, there's so much aimless vitriol online.

We should do AusERA community nights or something, I'd be down to play some games and shoot the shit with you lot.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
That's shit mate, sorry to hear. Even as a white guy I don't use voice chat, there's so much aimless vitriol online.

We should do AusERA community nights or something, I'd be down to play some games and shoot the shit with you lot.
Thanks a lot bro <3

For sure we could do AusEra discord maybe ?

Also what games are you into ?

OP
OP
jambo

jambo

Oct 25, 2017
Well we already have a Discord with a lot of people from here on it.

Also my favourite mp back in the day was always GTA IV online with the Internode community. L4D2 was great as well, I'm always keen for more co-op or versus.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Seems like an Overwatch issue not an Australian issue. I've been playing online games in Australia with voice chat for 5+ years (Destiny, Division, etc) and never had that experience.

I can totally expect this from Fortnite/Overwatch community though, the toxicity levels are off the charts.

hijukal

Oct 25, 2017
With Optus HFC cable -> Optus NBN HFC I went from roughly 93/1.5 during peak times to presently 87/37 during peak times. Haven't had an outage for a few months at least but since switching to NBN HFC ~18 months ago I've had more and longer outages than the preceding ~17-18 years on HFC cable.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
With Optus HFC cable -> Optus NBN HFC I went from roughly 93/1.5 during peak times to presently 87/37 during peak times. Haven't had an outage for a few months at least but since switching to NBN HFC ~18 months ago I've had more and longer outages than the preceding ~17-18 years on HFC cable.
With Telstra Cable --> Telstra NBN HFC I went from roughly 112Mb/s downstream during peak (14MB/s sustained, which was even faster than they advertised their service as being) to around 70Mb/s downstream during peak - and during the transition period it was about 35 Mbps downstream during peak. Upload I couldn't tell you, I don't really upload anything from home.

In terms of stability, I had two separate 10 minute outages last night that took out my home phone too. To be fair that isn't a daily occurrence though :)

I'm in the Inner West of Sydney, about 10 minutes from the centre of the Sydney CBD.

hijukal

Oct 25, 2017
My initial HFC NBN experience was 92/38ish, but I guess I switched early as it's been slowing ever since. I did expect that given the shared nature of HFC.

If it 60 down I'd probably just go for a 50/25 plan. 70 down seems a bit rough too given you're paying a premium and even the likes of TPG advertise 42 during peak on a 50/25 plan. I would expect a typical around 80 on a 100/40 to be reasonable (of course we'd all prefer more, but ... Liberals, NBNCo ensured that'll never happen).

As far as outages go, I had a 36 hour one under a month into NBN, which was longer than all the cable ones in over a decade previous combined.

Stackboy

Oct 25, 2017
Thrillsville, Brisvegas
Seems like an Overwatch issue not an Australian issue. I've been playing online games in Australia with voice chat for 5+ years (Destiny, Division, etc) and never had that experience.

I can totally expect this from Fortnite/Overwatch community though, the toxicity levels are off the charts.

That's totally an Australia issue, Australia is a racist country. Just because you haven't had that experience, doesn't mean others haven't. I hear it all the time across multiple games. Racist, sexist ignorance.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That's totally an Australia issue, Australia is a racist country. Just because you haven't had that experience, doesn't mean others haven't. I hear it all the time across multiple games. Racist, sexist ignorance.

Oh I'm not denying their experience, but I play with people from all over the world and don't think any one group of people from a country are more racist/sexist than usual. It's the person(s), not the country.

BTW I'm an immigrant myself and I have seen a reasonable amount of racism/sexism irl in Australia.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What you can expect:

This is why my plan is to sit on my Telstra cable and LTE 4G connections until they force me to go NBN, hopefully all the bullshit will sort out by then.

Pffft, I know it won't.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Does anyone know what the best local deal for Control is?

EDIT: Looks like:

EB Games: $99.95
JB Hifi: $79
Target: $79
Big W: $79
Hardly Normal: $68

I'm tempted to pre-order from Harvey Norman, but I'm not sure I trust them to not fuck it up completely and actually have a copy on launch day (next Tuesday).

What are the price matching policies like from the other retailers? Any chance I could get someone else to match that Harvey Norman price (without having to worry about the 'but do they have it in stock, are they in the same shopping centre,' etc. bullshit)?

Last edited:

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong

I'm tempted to pre-order from Harvey Norman, but I'm not sure I trust them to not fuck it up completely and actually have a copy on launch day (next Tuesday).

What are the price matching policies like from the other retailers? Any chance I could get someone else to match that Harvey Norman price (without having to worry about the 'but do they have it in stock, are they in the same shopping centre,' etc. bullshit)?
Depends on the retailer and that specific store. My JB has even pricematched Amazon once or twice. Speaking of which, Amazon themselves have control for $68 too.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
police operation on clarence and king st in the sydney cbd, suspect taken down apparently but stay aware. man with a machete apparently. we're still verifying
I was on George St grabbing some Pepsi Max at 12:30pm before jumping on our cruise ship. Kinda feels bizarre to have been at the train station he came from grabbing some drinks at the same time he can walking through with a knife.

God I love this country.
Looking at plans - Aussie Broadband seems pretty well received vs Telstra...
I've been on Aussie Broadband NBN for about 18 months now and they are amazing. They don't oversell supply, offer a lot of options in terms of ramping up or down data caps and keep you in the loop on service issues. I think we had one half day without internet when a server replacement went wrong and they kept us up to date and gave a full post mortem which was nice.

They run promos all the time so keep an eye on OzBargain or Whirlpool where they are very active.

They have a deal here you should be eligible for which is $20 off each month for 6 months on the unlimited data plans. Otherwise you can get the first month free here.

Well we already have a Discord with a lot of people from here on it.

Also my favourite mp back in the day was always GTA IV online with the Internode community. L4D2 was great as well, I'm always keen for more co-op or versus.
L4D2 was so good, shame we never got a sequel :(

Keep in mind that Amazon will always price match everyone and has free postage over $39. Everything I've ordered from them has arrived on release day but others have had issues depending on how late they ordered.

I've also used Harvey Norman a few times since we partnered with them for a while. I expect it depends a lot on your local store. The online orders are through head office and the local store just acts as a pickup point for the parcel & pickup. Since it is so close to release day I'd recommend calling the store to see if they are getting copies in as the amount shipped could rely on what has been ordered by customers.

TheForgotten

Oct 27, 2017
I have never had issues with games from Amazon, a few times they have even comes a day early.

It might depend on where you live. and which fulfillment center it comes from.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
EB games have always price matched any price that's not just online. So show them the Harvey Norman price and they should match it. But they generally won't for Amazon or any other online retailers.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
I always had tons of trouble in Geelong, wouldn't price match across town. Hard to tell here since we only have a Target and now Harvey Norman as competition lol.
I'm guessing it's policy set by the manager. We're about to lose our Big W so they better not start a policy of local only else we're totally screwed! Though to be honest after that goes I see the shopping mall getting bulldozed and turned into apartments unless K-Mart or Target move in.

mikezilla2

Oct 28, 2017
I was on George St grabbing some Pepsi Max at 12:30pm before jumping on our cruise ship. Kinda feels bizarre to have been at the train station he came from grabbing some drinks at the same time he can walking through with a knife.

I've been on Aussie Broadband NBN for about 18 months now and they are amazing. They don't oversell supply, offer a lot of options in terms of ramping up or down data caps and keep you in the loop on service issues. I think we had one half day without internet when a server replacement went wrong and they kept us up to date and gave a full post mortem which was nice.

They run promos all the time so keep an eye on OzBargain or Whirlpool where they are very active.

They have a deal here you should be eligible for which is $20 off each month for 6 months on the unlimited data plans. Otherwise you can get the first month free here.

L4D2 was so good, shame we never got a sequel :(

Keep in mind that Amazon will always price match everyone and has free postage over $39. Everything I've ordered from them has arrived on release day but others have had issues depending on how late they ordered.

I've also used Harvey Norman a few times since we partnered with them for a while. I expect it depends a lot on your local store. The online orders are through head office and the local store just acts as a pickup point for the parcel & pickup. Since it is so close to release day I'd recommend calling the store to see if they are getting copies in as the amount shipped could rely on what has been ordered by customers.

on telstra Cable

trying to figure out what i should do once NBN dos its thing ......

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
What are the usual prices on xbox live/ game pass/ PSN subs in Australia? I'm moving back from Britain later in the year and I wanna compare AU prices before I renew anything.

I have an old AU PSN account I can use (don't care about keeping PS+ games). Xbox you can change region so that's no biggie.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
What are the usual prices on xbox live/ game pass/ PSN subs in Australia? I'm moving back from Britain later in the year and I wanna compare AU prices before I renew anything.

I have an old AU PSN account I can use (don't care about keeping PS+ games). Xbox you can change region so that's no biggie.
Getting UK PSN is a pain, won't take Aussie cards or even Paypal with Aussie cards. I use a UK PSN account because it has every PS+ game ever on there but if I could switch to an AU account and keep them I'd do it in an instant. I have to get mine from Key sellers for which you pay over the odds. Given the current state of the pound it may well be cheaper to use UK PSN but it's a massive pain in the arse so if you are willing to switch just do it now.

As for Xbox Live don't forget they now bundle Live/Game Pass into game pass ultimate, it's worth switching to that as it includes both Xbox and PC gamepass for the same price.

OP
OP
jambo

jambo

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I'd probably change is swapping out the SATA M.2 drive for an NVMe M.2 drive.

NVMe is much faster than SATA.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Getting UK PSN is a pain, won't take Aussie cards or even Paypal with Aussie cards. I use a UK PSN account because it has every PS+ game ever on there but if I could switch to an AU account and keep them I'd do it in an instant. I have to get mine from Key sellers for which you pay over the odds. Given the current state of the pound it may well be cheaper to use UK PSN but it's a massive pain in the arse so if you are willing to switch just do it now.

As for Xbox Live don't forget they now bundle Live/Game Pass into game pass ultimate, it's worth switching to that as it includes both Xbox and PC gamepass for the same price.

tried CDKeys? I use my australian paypal there all the time.

PS+:
1 month: AUD$11.95
3 months: AUD$33.95
12 months: AUD$79.95

is that RRP or are there deals at JB or BigW?

Thinking I might keep my US PS+ for another year and go with a local for PS5.

Not sure If I'm going to get a PC or Xbox2 (or both so I haven't gone with ultimate yet

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
tried CDKeys? I use my australian paypal there all the time.

is that RRP or are there deals at JB or BigW?

Thinking I might keep my US PS+ for another year and go with a local for PS5.

Not sure If I'm going to get a PC or Xbox2 (or both so I haven't gone with ultimate yet
RRP, once a year you'll get a '12 months for $60' deal come around. Works well using a bunch of PSN credit bought from Big W/Woolworth/EB at 5-10% off which seems to happen every 6 months.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
About to hit 24hrs without power due to storms, no 4g due to everyone smashing it, thankfully 12v battery running router so have completely clear ADSL due to being one of the few using it. Two fridges full of food will be fucked but hopefully the freezers have kept cold. Anyone else got hit with the power outage? We're in the Hawkesbury/Blue Mountains.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
About to hit 24hrs without power due to storms, no 4g due to everyone smashing it, thankfully 12v battery running router so have completely clear ADSL due to being one of the few using it. Two fridges full of food will be fucked but hopefully the freezers have kept cold. Anyone else got hit with the power outage? We're in the Hawkesbury/Blue Mountains.
Nope. Had multiple NBN HFC dropouts, but that's business as usual really. The wind was intense though, was really hoping I wouldn't wake up to a tree on top of my car.