• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
don't ask me, i don't get it either. steve bannon can fuck off into the sun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't remember what she first said that tipped me off but Leigh Sales is complete trash and has been for ages. Not surprised to see her being all "we have to listen to the white nationalists!" Especially after the ABC has been giving Bannon a sloppy blowjob on 4 Corners.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
She's one of those very "if you're making both sides angry you must be doing something right" critical thinking vacuums.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Laughable coming from The Guardian and Katharine Murphy who inhabits and feeds one of the worst of the "enclaves" of journalism there is today.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Bannon doesn't have any insight to Australia. His commentary is laughably shallow. He doesn't even understand America, he couldn't beat a Democrat in Alabama.

Australian media is just so fucking ordinary they get excited whenever anybody makes the plane ride. We're having Milo back for fuck's sake.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the fact this is happening the same week as manning getting knocked back for a visa is so very shit

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is a pretty fascinating story out of Queensland state politics.

KAP considers going to CCC after staff cut

Katter's Australian Party is considering going to the Crime and Corruption Commission after Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk stripped the party of extra parliamentary staff.

Ms Palaszczuk has withdrawn from a special taxpayer-funded staffing deal after the party refused to denounce KAP senator Fraser Anning's first speech to Federal Parliament.

The premier demanded the party's condemnation after saying she was disgusted by Senator Anning's address, which used the Nazi-associated "final solution" phrase and called for a ban on Muslim immigration.

She announced on Sunday the party's refusal to do so meant she would no longer fund the five staffers granted during the last term of government, at a total cost of about $500,000, when Labor was a minority and needed parliamentary allies.

But KAP Queensland leader Robbie Katter claims Ms Palaszczuk may have broken the law when she threatened to take away five staff if the party did not condemn Mr Anning's remarks.

Chatting to the staunch Labor guy in the office yesterday and his opinion was that she shouldn't have done it considering it was a deal struck well before Anning was even in Parliament and he wasn't a member of KAP when the deal was struck. Also, Anning is a Federal Senator and this is state politics.

On the other hand, we both agreed that Anning is a reprehensible prick and has no place in Australian politics or civilised society in general.

It will be interesting to see what happens if they do refer it to the CCC.

Queensland Council of Civil Liberties vice-president Terry O'Gorman says while Senator Anning's speech was "appalling", the government's action is contrary to one of the pillars of the Fitzgerald report.

He says stripping KAP of their staff allocation is reminiscent of the Bjelke-Petersen government's stifling of their Labor opposition.

Normally I would say if you have Terry O'Gorman on your side, you're probably wrong, but in this case, he might be right.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...roman-quaedvlieg-border-force-chief-help-mate

The former head of the Australian Border Force Roman Quaedvlieg has claimed he fielded a phone call from Peter Dutton's office seeking help for a "mate" of the minister over an Italian au pair in detention at Brisbane airport.

Guy who got chucked out for getting his girlfriend favourable treatment is gonna take his former boss down for getting his mate favourable treatment.

Almost poetic isn't it.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Oh it's not as bad as all that, the country is in pragmatic, sensible hands as our new PM

[checks notes]

Mr Morrison said he was praying for rain in drought-affected areas, and he urged those who "believe in the power of prayer" to pray too.

"I pray for that rain everywhere else around the country. And I do pray for that rain. And I'd encourage others who believe in the power of prayer to pray for that rain and to pray for our farmers. Please do that," he said.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
The MSM worldwide is a disgrace. Kowtowing to nazis while loathing anyone who dares to oppose the lib consensus. God, such an embarrassment
Laughable coming from The Guardian and Katharine Murphy who inhabits and feeds one of the worst of the "enclaves" of journalism there is today.
K i n g
Ideology is *kisses lips* pure

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Sources have told the ABC that during the "horrible, bruising week", Mr Dutton's backers would enter colleagues' offices uninvited, and sometimes first thing in the morning, and refuse to leave unless they signed the petition to bring on a spill.

One MP said it was only after a "terse exchange" that their colleague agreed to leave.

But that pressure continued on the floor of Parliament where Mr Dutton's supporters would target MPs during divisions and try and force them to add their name to the petition.
[...]
The ABC understands Liberals were also told their preselection would be at risk unless they backed Mr Dutton's challenge and, on the day of the spill, were pressured to show their — supposedly — secret ballot paper to another MP to prove which way they had voted.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-07/nasty-tactics-dutton-backers-liberal-spill-revealed/10212110

Oct 28, 2017
Oh it's not as bad as all that, the country is in pragmatic, sensible hands as our new PM

[checks notes]

Considering Morrison isn't completely against praying the gay away, I dunno what you expected. Tony Abbott might dislike same sex relationships but I really doubt even he believes in that bullshit.

Bannon doesn't have any insight to Australia. His commentary is laughably shallow. He doesn't even understand America, he couldn't beat a Democrat in Alabama.

Australian media is just so fucking ordinary they get excited whenever anybody makes the plane ride. We're having Milo back for fuck's sake.

While no Republican should ever lose in Alabama, Roy Moore got really damn close to winning despite being a pedophile. White Alabamans were predictably trash and overwhelmingly voted for the pedophile. It was entirely off the backs of pissed black people, particularly pissed black women, that Doug Jones got the turnout required to narrowly beat Moore. Bannon didn't exactly bet wrong - white people in Republican states as a voting block always vote for the most awful things - but I don't think he expected black and younger people actually turning out and voting.

Bannon and his goons are trying to push the Overton Window so far right that the discussing the concept of white ethnostates is no longer a serious problem for right leaning voters. Bannon isn't around anymore but Stephen Miller absolutely is and he's slowly being proven right by how the child separation policy is no longer a thing being discussed. That's just one example, American conservatives are putting out more and more consistently trash opinions as a whole.

So while Bannon doesn't have any insight to Australia, it doesn't really matter. He just wants us to be talking about these issues as if the far right opinion is valid. The fact our media is letting him do this and defending it as mere "debating of ideas" is pathetic at best.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Problem is Bannon picked to get involved with Roy Moore specifically lol. It would have been a lay up with anybody else.

You're right though Stephen Miller is way more dangerous, specifically because he doesn't seem to have Bannon's ego and is content operating silently.

We'll see if Senator Gichuhi makes good on her promise to name them next week under Parliamentary Privilege. Doesn't take much guessing though; Hastie, Pasin, Seselja, Sukkar, etc

Oct 28, 2017
While I agree its fair for people to dunk on Bannon/Moore for the loss, its was a great litmus test to see how just how much awful Republican voters can tolerate. Despite Doug Jones having a pretty solid reputation, 72% of white men and 63% of white women broke for a candidate like Roy Moore. Its no surprise that a lot of Republicans are practically running on white supremacist platforms now, it works well enough with their base and they can definitely win if they limit minority turnout.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with Australian media sucking up to foreign far-right voices is, IM generally terribly malformed O, something that stems from Australia being not much more than a speed bump on the world stage, be it due to population or other factors, so any kind of attention from someone with international influence is lapped up greedily.

And, as mentioned ages ago, we as a mass of people on the whole gravitate toward centrism. I can't think of a good YouTube analogy, but we're not full fence sitting Boogie.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
We interviewed Chelsea Manning. It didn't go as planned.

JJJ's Hack program interviewed Chelsea Manning with some interesting results.

Hack host Tom Tilley started off by asking her about her visa issues - "I think that it's not necessarily fatal to my ability to speak but I would've liked to have come to Australia," Chelsea said, before challenging the government's denial of her visa on grounds of "national security".

"National security is often used by powerful people and institutions as a sort of argument by authority," she said.

During her court case, the prosecution argued Chelsea betrayed her country by leaking documents and information she knew Al Qaeda would see and use against America.

As Tom Tilley asked Chelsea Manning about this, our interview was cut short.
Seems like a reasonable question to me. But on the other hand, as someone who works in Media and Comms, I totally understand why they cut the interview off. Doesn't make it right though.

It's a legitimate question to ask and just because the leak probably led to some good results doesn't mean she gets a free pass from the media.

Nov 14, 2017
Given how stage managed the interview seemed to be one would've thought that both parties would have cleared beforehand what is or isn't part of the legal minefield that is discussing the actions of someone pardoned for releasing classified material.
Nigel Farage is another example. He's currently bumbling around Sydney but he's not managing to fill his venues.
Bring back "Lord" "Monckton".

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Given how stage managed the interview seemed to be one would've thought that both parties would have cleared beforehand what is or isn't part of the legal minefield that is discussing the actions of someone pardoned for releasing classified material.

Doesn't seem that there was any "legal" issues with the question, but rather a "respect" issue.

Tom Tilley: Why? Why can't we carry on this interview? What was wrong with my questioning? If you guys are talking about transparency and openness, surely we can continue this interview.

Suzi Jamil: Tom this is Suzi, the director of Think Inc. I guess What's a priority for us is to be respectful to our talent. I understand there might be nothing wrong with your questioning, but we just want to be really respectful to Chelsea, because she's given up her time to have this conversation.

Tom Tilley: But don't you think you should be respectful to the Australian people? This is a taxpayer funded government broadcaster, we're giving her the platform to come on and put forward her views. Surely she can answer some reasonable questions.

Suzi Jamil: I appreciate that Tom. and I think that at this point we'd rather not move forward any further. Happy to talk to you off the line, after this, one on one. If you'd like my comment I'm happy to give it.

Tom Tilley: Ok I guess we'll leave it there.

Seems like bad PR management to me. Like you said, if there were going to any questions that were off the table, then they should have been clarified and specified prior to the interview.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Holy shit the Liberals have lost the safe NSW seat of Wagga Wagga in a 29% swing against them!

It is state politics and there was a local corruption issue, but it's another sign that the next Federal election and NSW state election are likely to be apocalyptic for the Coalition.

Berejiklian is blaming the Federal branch, but the MP there having to quit Amin's corruption allegations is probably a factor.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit the Liberals have lost the safe NSW seat of Wagga Wagga in a 29% swing against them!

It is state politics and there was a local corruption issue, but it's another sign that the next Federal election and NSW state election are likely to be apocalyptic for the Coalition.

Berejiklian is blaming the Federal branch, but the MP there having to quit Amin's corruption allegations is probably a factor.
I think we won't see the date for the Wentworth by-election anytime soon...

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I honestly expected the polls to improve a point or two on a 2PP basis by now but nope, voters are fucking pissed.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Preferred PM atm the moment is really only a measure of what people know about the respective leaders. The electorate is already settled on Shorten but still learning about Morrison. He could easily lose 9 points in two weeks if Parliament goes badly and they still refuse to answer what the change was all about. The approve/disapprove also jumped around for both dramatically. Relative personal unpopularity won't stop shorten winning 25-35 seats at the next election.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Speaking of Mark Latham, is he officially One Nation now?

Kinda got lost in the Canberra version of The Hunger Games.

Oh who the fuck knows. He's also flirting with the Shooters Party. At some point he'll probably try to join the Nationals to get political party bingo.

Preferred PM atm the moment is really only a measure of what people know about the respective leaders. The electorate is already settled on Shorten but still learning about Morrison. He could easily lose 9 points in two weeks if Parliament goes badly and they still refuse to answer what the change was all about. The approve/disapprove also jumped around for both dramatically. Relative personal unpopularity won't stop shorten winning 25-35 seats at the next election.

It gets over emphasized in the Westminster system honestly. It's clearly secondary to how people feel about the parties themselves.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It gets over emphasized in the Westminster system honestly. It's clearly secondary to how people feel about the parties themselves.
I don't know about that. There are plenty of people out there who are completely convinced they vote directly for the PM.

I also think it becomes a factor closer to election times when so much of the attention gets focused on the leaders.

If Morrison continues to lead Shorten, you'll see the two party preferred start to tighten up as we move closer to election time.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
It's going to tighten regardless. I'm amazed the 56-44 held up for two weeks. The problem for the Coalition is I can't fathom what policies they run on at the next election that would tilt things back in their favour.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's going to tighten regardless. I'm amazed the 56-44 held up for two weeks. The problem for the Coalition is I can't fathom what policies they run on at the next election that would tilt things back in their favour.
No surprise here. The coup lasted for nearly that long! ;)

I don't think they need to change too much policy wise. Obviously they need to sort out electricity and climate, but I think the general population were warming to many of the policies.

Here's the real problem for them though, and particularly those who led the challenge, the polls were coming along nicely for Turnbull prior to all this garbage and he was on track to pull level by now. They have set themselves back months for a sum total of not much in the way of change outside of the leader.

I'm still in the fence about whether they get my vote or not because I'm waiting to see what they are all about. If Morrison thinks he can go all Pentecostal and keep my vote, he's got another thing coming. Also, if they decide to veer too far right, they will have lost me too.

Either way, things will be interesting.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They don't have a policy for this though.

They had to dump the NEG.
That's what I meant by sort out...they actually need one.

They need to come up with something that doesn't look like it was written by the coal industry though, or they will be straight up abandoning the middle to pander to the crazies. They also need to be clearer on climate change, because they can't be seen as just buying their heads in the sand on the issue.

Like I've said since this whole mess started, they can't count on my vote anymore and that goes for most people I know who sit closer to the middle. Morrison needs to show that he's not beholden to the far right crazies.