• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
If Morrison does that he's out on his arse though. If they wouldn't accept the NEG, the right wing isn't going to accept anything that isn't a complete capitulation to the mining industry.

The safest thing he can do is nothing. That will protect him in the partyroom, but the voters will not thank him for it.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If Morrison does that he's out on his arse though. If they wouldn't accept the NEG, the right wing isn't going to accept anything that isn't a complete capitulation to the mining industry.

The safest thing he can do is nothing. That will protect him in the partyroom, but the voters will not thank him for it.
What is the right going to do though? They fired their shot and missed. Even they know they can't mount another challenge now.

Morrison needs to stand up and be true to the moderate ideals that got him the job in the first place. The party room has spoken.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
They don't need another spill all they need to do is make it obvious they'll oppose any energy policy they don't like, as they did with the NEG, and since the government has a one seat majority, Morrison won't/can't try anything.

My suspicion is that many of the Nationals/right wing Liberals know they're finished at the next election, so they're setting themselves up for a lucrative post-Parliamentary career in the mining or resources industry. Killing the NEG, killing Turnbull, continuing to hold out for as long as possible on renewables and any action on climate change is a killer resume for that.

Oct 28, 2017
They don't need another spill all they need to do is make it obvious they'll oppose any energy policy they don't like, as they did with the NEG, and since the government has a one seat majority, Morrison won't/can't try anything.

My suspicion is that many of the Nationals/right wing Liberals know they're finished at the next election, so they're setting themselves up for a lucrative post-Parliamentary career in the mining or resources industry. Killing the NEG, killing Turnbull, continuing to hold out for as long as possible on renewables and any action on climate change is a killer resume for that.

The end result would depend on the seat demographics I would think? Intentionally tanking the government could have the result of killing all the moderates and leaving most of the far right nutcases in power assuming they hold onto enough safe seats

Either way, they're absolutely going to intentionally obstruct the government on anything that doesn't try to ram coal in every household,

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The moderates would probably take a majority of the backlash yeah. That's kind of another piece of leverage you'd imagine the right has.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Unfortunately, he has plausible deniability there. He can "reasonably" claim that the "long time between calls" was 20 years.

Unless I have missed some development in the last few days where this is the smoking gun?

Either way, he's fucked and good riddance to that asshole.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Oh yeah they can't do anything to him because they're on a knife's edge but it still funny watching him be humiliated.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Unfortunately, he has plausible deniability there. He can "reasonably" claim that the "long time between calls" was 20 years.

Unless I have missed some development in the last few days where this is the smoking gun?

Either way, he's fucked and good riddance to that asshole.

Something else popped up today regarding s.44. Initially, he got the advice for the subsidy that his family childcare centres receive, through a trust. Can't find a link atm but there is now another agreement concerning a disability worker and the letter from the government even says that "per your agreement with the government", basically aping word for word section 44. Obviously, it's pretty weak but section 44 is super vague and the HC is playing hardball. He needs to go to the HC.

Quadcopter is also suggesting it is not the above one he was involved in but another in Brisbane. The initial rumours were that there was always two incidents in Brisbane and the AFL one was a surprise 3rd case.

Normally he would be fucked but we are living in a post-Trump world where they just don't care anymore as long as their section of the media is still backing them.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Is there anything more boring and tedious than this au pair saga

Hope Dutton gets fucked but I'll probably sleep through it

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I meant by sort out...they actually need one.

They need to come up with something that doesn't look like it was written by the coal industry though, or they will be straight up abandoning the middle to pander to the crazies. They also need to be clearer on climate change, because they can't be seen as just buying their heads in the sand on the issue.

Like I've said since this whole mess started, they can't count on my vote anymore and that goes for most people I know who sit closer to the middle. Morrison needs to show that he's not beholden to the far right crazies.
They've been pandering to the crazies on energy and climate change for a long time now. I'm not waiting for them to come up with a policy - that opportunity has long since passed - I'm waiting for them to be booted from power so someone else can come in, hopefully with a sound plan.

Then again I assume Labor and the Coalition have focus tested all this and any softening is going to be unpopular.
It's sad that we trade our humanity like a commodity.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
did uh

did dutton just basically call roman quaedvlieg a pedophile under parliamentary privilege

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Peter Dutton is Q.

3446.jpg

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
did uh

did dutton just basically call roman quaedvlieg a pedophile under parliamentary privilege
This whole Quaedvlieg v Dutton thing is fucking hilarious.

A guy who got fired for corruption and nepotism is taking on a guy who is likely going to get fired for corruption and nepotism.

It's impossible to take a side because both are deplorable human beings. Neither one has any credibility whatsoever.

Perfect time to use this gif:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Quaedvlieg is getting some vengeance at least no idea what Dutton thinks he's doing dragging all this dirty laundry out lol

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The social media "guru" in his office is going to get their arse kicked.

Another example of why it's a bad idea for politicians to hire fresh-faced University grads as social media coordinators.

They might be "hip with the kids" but invariably have no actual fucking idea what they are doing when it comes to media relations/community engagement and the risks involved.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
You're assuming he had nothing to do with it, which when we're talking about Mr. "Where the Bloody Hell Are You", I don't know we can rule that out.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You're assuming he had nothing to do with it, which when we're talking about Mr. "Where the Bloody Hell Are You", I don't know we can rule that out.
I am willing to bet that 90% percent of all social media posts by politicians are made by staffers. Maybe a few will run their own Twitter feeds, but stuff like this is most definitely done by staff.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I meant he looked at it and approved it, not that he wrote it, which seems to be the case

But you're right he probably doesn't have very competent people working for his PR team, which is probably a result of him not being PM a couple of weeks ago.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i don't particularly care about it but watching daggy probably homophobic dad scott morrison who blows a fuse if you don't call christmas christmas trying to be hip with the kids sure is something

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Not sure "chill out we're trying to have some fun" is the message the government wants to be sending the electorate at the moment

Also the bloke who wanted to test toilet water to find out who was on drugs is an interesting person to be calling other people narcs.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Not sure "chill out we're trying to have some fun" is the message the government wants to be sending the electorate at the moment

Also the bloke who wanted to test toilet water to find out who was on drugs is an interesting person to be calling other people narcs.
Surprisingly, this is a very useful and legitimate way for health departments to assess recreational drug use. I'm pretty sure all states do this already.

EDIT: Yep, been happening for a while

https://www.acic.gov.au/publication...nal-wastewater-drug-monitoring-program-report

The National Wastewater Drug Monitoring Program provides concrete data to inform policy in the health, education, law enforcement and not-for-profit sectors. Findings from the first two reports have been used by agencies to shape local responses—evidence the program is providing meaningful and actionable intelligence to inform Australia's response to drug supply and demand.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
Surprisingly, this is a very useful and legitimate way for health departments to assess recreational drug use. I'm pretty sure all states do this already.

EDIT: Yep, been happening for a while

https://www.acic.gov.au/publication...nal-wastewater-drug-monitoring-program-report
No-one's saying it's a crazy idea, just that doing it to locate suburbs to trial the drug-testing of welfare recipients as part of your "fuck the bludgers" agenda is indisputably the act of a narc.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
No-one's saying it's a crazy idea, just that doing it to locate suburbs to trial the drug-testing of welfare recipients as part of your "fuck the bludgers" agenda is indisputably the act of a narc.
I didn't say anyone was calling it a crazy idea.

When I found out about the program when I worked in Queensland Health, I was actually shocked that it was one of the most effective ways of understanding recreational (and prescription) drug use from a epidemiological perspective. It's actually pretty cool and a really impressive "out-of-the-box" solution to the problem.

As far as Morrison goes, I guess if you are going to go to the effort of drug-testing welfare recipients, then it's probably a good idea to have some strong evidence to back you up, otherwise you're probably in for a long legal battle and for accusations of unfairly targeting specific groups. So probably not a bad way to focus that sort of program, if that's the kind of policy you are implementing.

Unsurprisingly, the data shows Canberra to be a hotbed of oxycodone, cocaine and heroin use, so if there is going to be drug testing of people who are the recipients of public money, I would suggest they start in Parliament House.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Ann Sudmalis will not recontest her seat in Gilmore. She blames branch stacking in NSW. The seat is held by 0.7% by the government.

Bit of an exile of female MPs in marginal seats developing that has doomed the government at the next election before it's begun.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Here comes the galaxy brain defamation defense;

Lawyers acting for Liberal Democratic Party Senator David Leyonhjelm say his "stop shagging men" comment was "much more likely" to benefit Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young's re-election prospects than to damage her reputation, as he fights a defamation case filed against him in the Federal Court.

It's been a while since I had my defamation training at work but I don't seem to remember this being amongst the defences.

Leyonhjelm's lawyer is also the guy who was representing Latham who got laughed out of court so good luck David.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Here comes the galaxy brain defamation defense;

It's been a while since I had my defamation training at work but I don't seem to remember this being amongst the defences.

Leyonhjelm's lawyer is also the guy who was representing Latham who got laughed out of court so good luck David.
Isn't the standard defence in these situations to blame Ambien?

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the standard defence in these situations to blame Ambien?

That or Prozac. Though Leyonhjelm is a big enough piece of garbage that he clearly prefers the "fuck you bitch, I'm doing you favour" approach, which I can actually kind of appreciate. Despite how horrible the US Republican Party are, they don't even bother trying to own their bullshit.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That or Prozac. Though Leyonhjelm is a big enough piece of garbage that he clearly prefers the "fuck you bitch, I'm doing you favour" approach, which I can actually kind of appreciate. Despite how horrible the US Republican Party are, they don't even bother trying to own their bullshit.
Say what you want about how much of a flaming cunt Leyonhjelm is (he's a massive cunt), he does own his behaviour and doesn't try to weasel out of his shit. Still, he's a ginormous cunt and I literally wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.