• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Alexander Downer
Patriach of the Downer clan, a Liberal Party Subsidiary

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
It's always funny when born to rulers aren't allowed to and they throw all their toys out of the pram.

I remember when he was the opposition leader when I was a kid and the next suburb over was Downer, named for his grandfather, and some wag hung a Keating banner over the suburb sign.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You, a fool: Politics is about winning over a coalition of voters so you can form a government in Parliament.

Patriarch of the political genius family the Downers:
Any chance you could post the full text? I don't have a subscription and would like to read the whole article.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the full text.

It's actually an interesting read and a little more nuanced than the headline suggests. Feel free to have a read and make your own opinions.

https://unv.is/afr.com/opinion/colu...political-chaos-is-your-fault-20180923-h15qm1

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
There's an old political slogan you might remember … the public get the politicians they deserve. Through all the political turmoil over the past decade I can't help but draw your attention to your own culpability. It's at least partly your fault. And there's every danger you are about to make the whole situation worse.

That sounds tough. Our political narrative assumes the public is always right. No elected official should blame the public for an adverse election outcome. When Hillary Clinton described the Trump voters as the "deplorables" we all knew she was finished. You can't say that in public life.

But still, the collective electorate can be wrong. They can make decisions that make governance harder, not easier. Let me give you a couple of examples.

First, let's take our old friend climate change. The public overwhelmingly want Australia to contribute to lowering greenhouse emissions. At the very least they want us to make a proportional contribution to the global task of CO2 mitigation.

But here's the rub. They don't want to pay more for electricity. Yet the reason we have the Renewable Energy Target and other subsidies is to force power producers to use more expensive and less reliable – but cleaner – sources of power. And the people who suffer the most from higher power prices are the poor. Carbon taxes are regressive.

The public demand is simple; cheaper and cleaner power. In the short term it can't be done. This contradictory demand has contributed mightily to the fractious and unstable politics both between parties and within parties. What is more, the public has demanded Australia abandon one of its greatest comparative advantages; cheap power fuelled by coal.

One of the reasons Rudd Labor defeated the Howard government in 2007 was that you wanted us to ratify the Kyoto Protocol. John Howard wouldn't, because he feared it would particularly disadvantage energy-rich Australia. You didn't mind. You wanted Kyoto signed. So Kevin Rudd won and he signed it. But then Rudd produced his emissions trading scheme. Once you had a look at it, you weren't so sure. You feared it would be "a big new tax". And so it went on … from Julia Gillard and the carbon tax to the National Energy Guarantee. you're never happy.

The problem is the public wants a magic pudding. And politicians are tempted to offer it. Plenty of them are sure they can force renewables onto the public and this will make energy cheaper. But of course they can't, as we have discovered.

And then there are the coal mines. Much of the public want them closed. Mines which were the source of our great comparative advantage: cheap energy and our second biggest generator of export earnings. And one other point about coal. Over half of our coal exports are coking coal for steel works. You can recycle steel by electrolysis but you can't make it without coal. So where are we going with all this? A new world without steel?

A public that's never happy
More than anything, it is the contradictions in the public mind that have contributed to the scandalous degree of political instability we've experienced over the past miserable decade. Think about how you've felt personally about our prime ministers: you became tired of Howard and thought Rudd would be a refreshing change. Then you weren't sure about him; Rudd seemed a bit erratic and dangerous and lacked deep convictions and principles.

Over to Gillard. You loved her for a few weeks; the first female prime minister and by all accounts a thoroughly decent person. Nope. A few months passed and you grew to despise her – even hate her. She was vilified. After a bit more Rudd you elected Abbott. No, didn't like him. He was too aggressive and a bit strange really. You didn't like the way he walked and wasn't he too right-wing?

So over to Malcolm Turnbull. You were sure he would be brilliant but when he started to wrestle with the inevitable contradictions of public aspirations he was "disappointing". I heard it everywhere. What did you expect from someone wrestling with the complexity, uncertainty and celerity of modern events? Jesus Christ and the Twelve Disciples?

Let's see how long you'll like ScoMo … you already dislike Bill Shorten who you judge to be nothing more than a cynical opportunist.

So that's one problem with our polity: you're never happy. Everyone in power is inadequate

What's truly dangerous about this is where it could lead. There are already signs that you think independents might be better. This is a path to national ruin. Instead of the steady centre-right or centre-left governments of many decades that have delivered Australia a better way of life than almost anywhere on earth, we'd have a coalition of chaos.

What's Kerryn Phelps' plan for fiscal consolidation, what's Kathy McGowan's strategy for engaging the Trump administration in Asia, how would Rebekah Sharkie manage the roll-out of 5G and how would this disparate group of opportunists handle heavy ideologues like Andrew Wilkie? Imagine if all of parliament was made up of people like that. How would a government be formed, who'd be the prime minister, the treasurer and the foreign minister?

They'd go back to their electorates every Thursday night and "consult" them. How long would that take? Whatever happened to representatives? We'd end up governed by a gaggle of delegates, nothing more and nothing less.

The Wentworth by election will be a test. Dave Sharma – who worked for me for two years – is intellectually brilliant. He has experience, energy and gravitas. He'd make a great minister. He'd help lead our country through difficult times. Or are people going to vote for someone who offers everything to everyone? Are they going to vote for a chimera?

If disillusion with Liberal and Labor keeps growing, you'll end up with something a lot worse: a coalition of chaos. It's a worrying prospect. Government would be paralysed. The country would stall. Think it through … very carefully. Parties have served us well for more than a century. Whatever their failings, they sure beat a coalition of chaos.

Here it is in full.

I don't think the analysis is very good, because it really only has two concrete examples; Hillary Clinton calling Trump voters deplorables, and energy policy.

The first has nothing to do with Australian politics.

The second reframes the paralysis over energy policy as the public's fault, because we keep changing our mind and have unrealistic expectations, but I can't square this with reality.
  • The Coalition tried to pass an Emissions Trading Scheme in 2009. The right wing of the party killed it off then killed off Turnbull's leadership.
  • The Labor Party did then pass a carbon tax, which would have transitioned into an emissions trading scheme. Again, the right wing of the Liberal Party killed if off in 2013.
  • Abbott then signed the Paris agreement, which the public wanted, but miraculously found it a hugely problematic agreement on the backbench.
  • Then the right wing of the party killed the NEG, and killed Turnbull again.
At no point did the public, or their changing expectations, kill anything. I have no idea where Downer gets this idea we keep changing our minds. Polling has been incredibly clear that Australians want a climate change plan, believe we should reduce emissions, and invest in renewable energy.

What's actually happening is that energy policy in Australia is the third rail for Liberal Party. The right wing of the party is funded by the mining lobby, who will swiftly and brutally decapitate any leader who tries to move us away from coal mines and coal fired power stations, because they know the game is very nearly up, and need to recoup their investments.

They are given intellectual cover for this by the climate change skeptics who feed the whole thing into their culture war about left wing scientific lies and how inner city elites are not living in the real world.

Bit of an aside, I also think that the Foreign Minister who got us into the Iraq War when the public was squarely against it, blaming the Australian public for being the cause of the nation's woes is some heinous shit.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
im glad the downers have been reduced to being constantly owned because of their shitty faildaughter in public and i hope it continues for generations to come

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't disagree with what you are saying, but at the same time, there has been a significant shift in politics and media landscapes in this country, and elsewhere. How people relate to and participate in the political process has shifted dramatically even compared to 10 years ago.

What I think has been one of the root causes of that is the increased weight and emphasis political parties and the media put on opinion polls. They are damaging and destructive to the political and policy-making process because they don't allow for long-term planning and execution to happen. One bad poll sets off a chorus of naysaying and unleashes the opinion of so-called experts. It's a vicious circle where any policy that is even remotely complicated or difficult is torn to shreds before it even has a chance to take effect.

So while Downer is wrong to put the blame on the people, he does have a point about the way the public and the media, and in turn, the politicians have become so reactionary to everything. We elect politicians to make the hard decisions, but then don't give them the benefit of time to show that their decisions are in our best interests.

One of the solutions that needs to be implemented is an extension of federal terms to 4 or 5 year fixed terms. That will give a decent amount of time to allow policies to take effect and will reduce the importance of bad opinion polls. The opinion polls wont matter until the final six months of a term, which means that governments can be more bold in their policy making.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
They are hyper obsessed with the polls you're right, but they're either unwilling or unable to confront what they actually mean.

Basically; there's no point changing a leader if you don't change policy. They keep changing leader but not policy and are surprised when it doesn't fix their problems. They don't even really understand what the public is saying so they think we're fickle.

Like take this paragraph;

So over to Malcolm Turnbull. You were sure he would be brilliant but when he started to wrestle with the inevitable contradictions of public aspirations he was "disappointing". I heard it everywhere. What did you expect from someone wrestling with the complexity, uncertainty and celerity of modern events? Jesus Christ and the Twelve Disciples?

There's no analysis here of what killed Turnbull with the public. Downer thinks it was enough that he was simply Prime Minister. Oh we wanted him, and then we got him, and we weren't happy. So fickle!

But why weren't we happy? It wasn't the public's aspiration Turnbull be PM in and of itself, it was that he was a moderate who would do something about climate change, about same sex marriage, about inequality.

But the reason he sunk in the polls is because it became obvious that there was going to be no significant policy changes under him, and he was going to keep everything Abbott put in place to keep the right wing of the party happy.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any evidence of that working in the states or other jurisdictions? The French have five year presidential terms and Hollande was a lame duck for almost all of it.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Do you have any evidence of that working in the states or other jurisdictions? The French have five year presidential terms and Hollande was a lame duck for almost all of it.
https://theconversation.com/the-sta...ed-four-year-federal-terms-are-unlikely-56674

Seems the debate in Australia is ongoing, but for me, I hope that the advantages turn out to be real and not just smoke and mirrors.

Queensland will be going to a fixed 4-year term after the next election, so I will have a more informed opinion then, but I am a supporter of anything that provides more certainty and stability in government.

roosters93

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually an interesting read and a little more nuanced than the headline suggests. Feel free to have a read and make your own opinions.

https://unv.is/afr.com/opinion/colu...political-chaos-is-your-fault-20180923-h15qm1

Not much nuance to me. It's classic rightwing opinion writing of the same ilk as typical Bolt, Alan Jones, Chris Kenny etc. Say some stuff seemingly persuasive but if you dig it at even a little deeper turns out it's all bullshit.

old chap alexander said:
First, let's take our old friend climate change. The public overwhelmingly want Australia to contribute to lowering greenhouse emissions. At the very least they want us to make a proportional contribution to the global task of CO2 mitigation.

But here's the rub. They don't want to pay more for electricity. Yet the reason we have the Renewable Energy Target and other subsidies is to force power producers to use more expensive and less reliable – but cleaner – sources of power. And the people who suffer the most from higher power prices are the poor. Carbon taxes are regressive.

Calls a carbon price, a carbon tax. Calls it regressive. Which something that is not a tax can not be.
While he could be right that a carbon price mechanism would lead to an increase in power prices that often affects the poor the most, he conveniently decides not to mention that the Gillard govt's scheme included overgenerous compensation to the poor etc. nearly anyone vulnerable was slightly better off

But then Rudd produced his emissions trading scheme. Once you had a look at it, you weren't so sure. You feared it would be "a big new tax". And so it went on … from Julia Gillard and the carbon tax to the National Energy Guarantee. you're never happy.

I wonder why that was. Tony Abbot parroting on, alan jones and whoever leaded a scare campaign probably didn't cause it right? The public inherently was already not happy I guess.

The problem is the public wants a magic pudding. And politicians are tempted to offer it. Plenty of them are sure they can force renewables onto the public and this will make energy cheaper. But of course they can't, as we have discovered.

That politicians make unrealistic election promises and such is a problem yes. The public wants a magic pudding because politicians promise them anything and act like they can significantly affect cost of living prices and steer a global economy etc. Blaming the public for this seems a bit rich. Maybe it's a bit of a chicken and the egg scenario. Which came first politicians promising a magic pudding or the public expecting one? I think it's more likely politicians in power were feeling skittish at the prospect of losing power.

t have delivered Australia a better way of life than almost anywhere on earth, we'd have a coalition of chaos.

lol think we just had a coalition of chaos a few weeks ago

They'd go back to their electorates every Thursday night and "consult" them. How long would that take? Whatever happened to representatives? We'd end up governed by a gaggle of delegates, nothing more and nothing less.

Also rich coming from the party that had to have a plebiscite for a bleeding obvious policy

So while Downer is wrong to put the blame on the people, he does have a point about the way the public and the media, and in turn, the politicians have become so reactionary to everything. We elect politicians to make the hard decisions, but then don't give them the benefit of time to show that their decisions are in our best interests.

He doesn't make that point though. No mention of the media and no introspection about politcians. He piles nearly all of it on the plate of the public who of the 3 are really the least at fault for the state of politics.

Nov 14, 2017
In frozen stone-fruit news, the Greens and the Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance are calling for ABC chairman Justin Milne to go, Labor seems undecided but unsatisfied at this stage (at least in terms of the official position, Doug Cameron had some pretty strong words). Staff are preparing a protest.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...aging-director-told-to-sack-reporter/10305820
Fairfax newspapers are reporting that Mr Milne wrote in an email to Ms Guthrie that Alberici had damaged the public broadcaster's standing with Coalition MPs.
A source close to the ABC board is not denying the email was sent.
The email as reported by Fairfax appears to show the chairman claiming the Government "hates" Alberici.
"We are tarred with her brush. I think it's simple. Get rid of her. We need to save the ABC — not Emma. There is no guarantee they will lose the next election," the report quoted the email as saying.
Wasn't sure what to make of the Michelle Guthrie situation but the points some made about her having to operate in a hostile environment sure seem valid.

EDIT: It's all happening.
Justin Milne tried to stop Hottest 100 Australia Day move: 'Malcolm will go ballistic'
ABC chairman accused of interfering over Triple J countdown and demanding on-air apology after Tonightly program

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Hoo boy that email.

The public like the ABC way more than the government, and the company tax cuts Alberici criticised were so politically poisonous the government dropped them. Milne is a dead man walking I would imagine.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
From 2014 and 2016:
https://delimiter.com.au/2014/05/23/abc-delayed-albericis-pro-nbn-article-election/
The ABC delayed publishing an article by Lateline co-host Emma Alberici starkly critical of the Coalition's rival National Broadband Network policy until after the election, it has emerged, as questions continue to be raised about the public broadcaster's coverage of Australia's largest ever infrastructure project.

https://delimiter.com.au/2016/01/14/journo-claims-abc-gagged-his-nbn-coverage/
The ABC's outgoing technology editor today claimed he had been "gagged" by the broadcaster from publishing further articles about the National Broadband Network, after several initial articles heavily criticised the Coalition's Multi-Technology Mix model.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
So uh Fifield has announced his Department will be investigating political interference at the ABC. Which strikes me as a bit odd given it's a conflict of interest.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, I don't think this will be investigated. Maybe the Greens will try to bring it up and it looks like Labor are asleep at the wheel with this and now that Milne is gone, that's probably the end of the controversy.

Congratulations to Michelle Guthrie on her slam dunk wrongful dismissal case.
Didn't she herself say that her contract states she may be terminated without cause and with immediate effect? I"m not sure how strong a case for wrongful dismissal may be with such a clause.

Although it turned out Milne was a bigger problem, it didn't seem like Guthrie was particularly good at her job either.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Unfortunately, I don't think this will be investigated. Maybe the Greens will try to bring it up and it looks like Labor are asleep at the wheel with this and now that Milne is gone, that's probably the end of the controversy.

Didn't she herself say that her contract states she may be terminated without cause and with immediate effect? I"m not sure how strong a case for wrongful dismissal may be with such a clause.

Although it turned out Milne was a bigger problem, it didn't seem like Guthrie was particularly good at her job either.

Ah I had read she had lawyered up and figured that was the go. Don't know about her contract.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I can't figure out if the IPA holding up right-wing pressure on the ABC as reason that it's compromised and should be privatised is bonkers or genius

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the sydney opera house horse ads thing sure is a thing

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yup NSW is a toilet, it's time we embraced it.

Let's put pokies in hospitals.

Let's get rid of the train lines and put in strip malls.

Let's give real estate developers and property magnates the right of Prima nocta.

Nov 14, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-police-officer-charged-over-threatening-call
The Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young has said she is "shocked and horrified" after a New South Wales police officer was charged with making an offensive and threatening phone call to her earlier this year.

On Friday the Australian federal police charged a Sydney police officer with using a carriage service to "menace, harass [or] offend" after a phone call made to Hanson-Young in July.
Hanson-Young said the threats allegedly made by the officer were about her daughter.
I'd say this is another example of a messed up NSW institution, but of course the odds that every police force in the country isn't harbouring virulent misogynists are Buckley's and none.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Between this and the Opera House thing you can only conclude the government is trying to lose the Wentworth by-election.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
The worst part of the Opera House debacle is that both sides of government seem to support the idea of using it for advertising.

On climate change, Labor has been awfully mum about it, have they not? Maybe afraid of a backlash from talkback listeners, but I sincerely hope they still have a policy to take proper action.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Labor have just proposed a Clean Energy Target and an Emissions Trading Scheme, which was what the Carbon Tax was eventually supposed to transition into in 2015 before Abbott killed it.

It basically doesn't get reported on because it's uncontroversial in the Labor Party, and the Greens have pledged to support it so it'd likely sail through as soon as they controlled Parliament.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Shorten needs to up his rhetoric though. The dude us trying to win on 'lower taxes' now which is just driving me nuts. Have a principled platform. Same applies to Foley who is somehow worse

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yeah they definitely need to promote a better vision of what they want to achieve because simply going "we're not the government" is not a good blueprint for a success as we've seen the past ten years.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Looks like the Ruddock religious freedom review has already backfired.

Shorten and Morrison are making noises now about how the right of religious schools to expel LGBTQ kids should be revoked, not expanded.

Given the whole thing was a sop to appease social conservatives after getting thumped in the SSM plebiscite, this could upset them a lot.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I was actually quite impressed by Morrison's words about how no child should be discriminated against. Nice to hear considering he's a religious nut.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I thought he was only noncommittal previously?

I honestly haven't been keeping up with the news much the last few weeks because I've been knee-deep in writing three annual reports at work.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The worst part of the Opera House debacle is that both sides of government seem to support the idea of using it for advertising.

On climate change, Labor has been awfully mum about it, have they not? Maybe afraid of a backlash from talkback listeners, but I sincerely hope they still have a policy to take proper action.

I don't want to become a one issue voter but for me climate change policy is the number 1 factor in who I vote for. The entire future of the human race is at stake and any party who doesn't have a serious policy regarding this should not be in power.

Also on a less scary note it will also determine how well Australia's economy transitions over the next few decades. Coal is going to get phased out and as the effects of global warming become more apparent this phasing out will only quicken. We don't want to be an economy who is totally reliant on coal. The sooner we can transition the better.