• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If you find yourself comparing a public servant who had a consensual affair with a prominent political figure being snooped on by the media to a journalist who was sexually assaulted by a prominent political figure who desired to keep the matter private having their experience brought into the spotlight by a third party for political gain, you may be suffering from a bout of centrism. Other symptoms may include feelings of objectivity and adverse reactions to anything left of centre.

No. Don't put words in my mouth. I have only talked about the media here. Stop trying to be the hero.

If you want to know my opinion of the people involved in the issue, then look a little higher on the page where I was very clear what I thought of everyone involved, including Elliott.

Also, a ministerial staffer is not a public servant, but you know, facts don't mean much when you are internet warrioring...

Nov 14, 2017
No. Don't put words in my mouth. I have only talked about the media here. Stop trying to be the hero.

If you want to know my opinion of the people involved in the issue, then look a little higher on the page where I was very clear what I thought of everyone involved, including Elliott.

Also, a ministerial staffer is not a public servant, but you know, facts don't mean much when you are internet warrioring...
Oh damn, I can't believe I mistakenly called her a public servant instead of a staffer. That changes everything. You were absolutely right to bring up the Guardian being one of every single media outlet in the country who covered Barnaby Joyce's affair after sitting on it for months before News Corp ran it in response to David Marr talking about a woman having her sexual assault publicised by a single politician. No heroic triumph for me. You have bested me, noble warrior.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Surely Matthew Guy is on an election winner with this:
Opposition pledges discounted electrical goods in power-saving scheme

Let me get this straight...
Labor: Have $5k to put towards a renewable energy system for your home
Liberals: Get a discount on a new TV and fridge!

What in the actual fuck is happening. Although after Guy's obvious cash-in after last Friday's horrible incident in Melbourne, I'm really not surprised in the slightest.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I fucking hope so. Their politicising of the "terror" attack by both Guy and Morrison I think swung more voters against them than winning them over (I hope).

Also hoping this fuckknuckle doesn't get in:
46296317_10155820314615906_6031826854749405184_n.jpg

Not quite in my electorate (miss out by literally a few houses) but if he even remotely gets a look-in, I'll burn Geelong to the fucking ground.

PS. This was seen in Melbourne by a friend of mine:
46479993_2250963921640668_1723764263593443328_n.jpg

Oct 28, 2017

Matthew Guy seems to be adopting the Western conservative culture warrior stance of forcing everything Israeli to be in Jerusalem. Because of reasons that may or may not be solely fueled by religious dogma. Or maybe he's just really concerned about Caulfield and Bentleigh and pulling the most cynical move possible lmao.

No matter where you stand on Israel and Jerusalem, this is clearly a culture warrior move because it makes zero logistical or economic sense. Tel Aviv is the literal center of Israel in every meaningful capacity.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
I like how there's been the usual media gossip about tension between the federal and state parties and whether Morrison is a help or hindrance on the campaign trail etc... and then Guy just goes ahead and replicates Morrison's knee-jerk own goal from Wentworth.

Also on Victoria, I found this look at the state Greens to be sort of interesting:
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...tha-ratnam-bids-to-break-through-crowded-left
For his part, the Labor premier, Daniel Andrews, has been happy to rule out a deal with the Greens. Most recently, he cited what he called the party's "toxic culture" to make his point.

Amid all that, the outing of Greens's Footscray candidate Angus McAlpine's past life as a rapper who sang misogynistic lyrics, including about date rape, have derailed the party's campaign.

The Greens did not fire McAlpine. When Ratnam declined to come on air to explain that decision, the ABC broadcaster Jon Faine reprised his complaints about her apparent reluctance to appear on his show, suggesting she had been placed into "witness protection".

In a video on Facebook, Ratnam said the lyrics McAlpine had sung were a "reprehensible" example of "toxic masculinity". He had undergone a "journey of change", she said.
I swear "we are ruling out doing a deal with the Greens" is some kind of Labor mantra at this point. Never backfires either.
Ratnam, who holds a PhD in youth sociology, is the Victorian Greens' youngest and first female leader. She notes the party room is made up seven women and one man, including the state's first Indigenous lower house MP, Lidia Thorpe, and upper house MP Huong Truong, who is the child of Vietnamese refugees.

Ratnam was called a "pig" by a Liberal MP during a parliamentary debate this year. On another occasion, she claims, an MP told Truong in parliament, "You're a communist, you're a communist, you come from a communist country."
In conclusion, the Victorian parliament is a land of contrasts.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
You can see the second he says they'll put out a tender he's made a horrible mistake and is spending the next two minutes trying to obfuscate they want the taxpayer to fund a privately owned coal fire power station.

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how much it costs to get a Russian botfarm to astroturf for you.

Speaking of politics, voted today. Got my serve of dog dick and had a decent slice of carrot cake.

Edit:

If this exit poll is remotely true, RIP Lobster Mobster.

Last edited:

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Antony predicted a Labor majority (Victoria).

ALP 51
LNP 16
GRN 1
OTH 2
Doubt 18

(45 was needed for a majority)

Last edited:

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah, the swings are huge. Congrats to the Liberal Party for shooting yourselves in the foot.

I'm hopeful this pattern continues to the Federal election.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I'd be interested to see if young people are more represented in this election since so many of them enrolled for the marriage equality plebiscite.

Oct 28, 2017
The best thing that could come of this is an aversion from racist campaigns

Peta Credlin was basically going on about how they could have done better if they emulated the Abbott government/campaigns so I think you're going to see a US Republican strategy of doubling down and trying to fuel white turnout.

Conservative media is also basically doubling down on the -isms like so.

I think people readily accept that Australia was a cultural wasteland until the waves of mass migration. I don't see how a blanket MAKE AUSTRALIA GREAT AGAIN campaign would work. Everyone loves their kebabs and banh mi in Australia and everyone remembers how shit our sandwiches were in the White Australia era. Its a given that migration has made Australia a better place.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Frydenberg also corncobb-ing live on TV. Suggesting that this election has absolutely nothing to do with the Federal Liberal Party and this result is a complete nothingburger.

The LNP is 100% going to double down on the prosperity gospel, social conservatism bullshit and pray to Supply Side Jesus that they can pull a Trump.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
They pretty much run the culture war campaign on this one.

Crime, terrorist, drug users, gay indoctrination of kids, didn't work.

Oct 25, 2017
a complete rejection of the liberal party's god awful campaign is wonderful to see -- though the federal party's fucking awful performance is probably a major contributor.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Well done Victoria. Great result, don't fall for fear and division. Australia is a great multicultural country.

The LNP is losing relevance if they keep pandering to their 'base'. Their base is not where the majority of Australia is, climate change is real and needs immediate attention, people care about their kids and their education, and public hospitals need proper funding.

Oct 28, 2017
lmao imagine being James Newbury, man who might lose a seat against a 2 month old Labor university student who spent a total of $1500 in his campaign.

Gotta feel for Pesutto though. LNP sends him to the ABC panel only for him to watch that 12% swing happen in slow motion, leaving him unemployed.

Last edited:

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
Guy made a big mistake - he ran on population, which I think people were willing to hear him out on, but then he had no education or healthcare policies...

That just seems very misguided

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seats swung
  • Bass - 54.6% for Labor, safe Liberal seat since 2002, gained 9.1% (Unsure because postal votes still need to come!)
  • Bayswater - 52% for Labor, safe Liberal seat since 2004, gained 6.6%
  • Box Hill - 53.4% for Labor, safe Liberal seat since 1992, gained 9.1%
  • Brighton - 50.8% for Labor, first ever Labor MP since 1856 (or 1909 for when parties introduced), gained 10.6%. 19 y.o MP.
  • Burwood - 55% for Labor, safe Liberal seat since 2010, gained 8.2%
  • Caulfield - 53.5% for Labor, might be first ever Labor MP since 1927, gained 6.9% (Unsure)
  • Hawthorn - 52.4% for Labor, safe Liberal seat ever since 1955, gained 11%
  • Mount Waverley - 52% for Labor, swinging seat, gained 6.9%
  • Nepean - 53.7% for Labor, safe Liberal seat ever since 2002, gained 11.3%
  • Northcote - 55.6% for Greens, typical Labor seat until Greens by-election, gained 5.3%
  • Ringwood - 55% for Labor, second incarnation was for Liberal, gained 10.1%
  • Ripon - 52.3% for Labor, swinging seat, gained 3.1%
  • Sandringham - 51.5% for Labor, safe Liberal seat since 1992, gained 8.8%
  • South Barwon - 54.7% for Labor, swinging seat, gained 7.6%

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
pretty fun clicking on that lyle tweet and seeing a bunch of responses from my friends going eat shit, lyle

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
Flawless victory. There is a massive contrast between the two campaigns, Vic Labor was all positive and demonstrating long term planning for infrastructure, education and health. Liberals was just negative fear mongering and they didn't really have a plan for Vic. It also helps that Labor actually did a lot with their first term so they had a lot of street cred. I think special kudos needs to be directed to transport minister Jacinta Allen. The logistics of removing 29 level crossing and planning a further 50 would be a nightmare. I think Melbourne Metro is one year ahead of schedule too. Sydney in comparison has taken forever with one tram track through the city!

It is a good sign that moderate conservatives are taking a stand against far right extremism around the country.

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at where a lot of the huge swings are occurring, a lot of them will be serviced by Andrew's proposed rail loop. Turns out people really fucking love public transport, I know I love rail loops after being in Tokyo for business for a week.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at where a lot of the huge swings are occurring, a lot of them will be serviced by Andrew's proposed rail loop. Turns out people really fucking love public transport, I know I love rail loops after being in Tokyo for business for a week.
Compare that to Sydney where transport is an absolute wreck. Light Rail is two years behind schedule and doubled my morning commute

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
they've got it to the point where it functions decently if everybody works at 95% all the time but the entire network snarls and fucks itself if there's a single point of failure.

also there's trackwork seemingly every fucking weekend

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Compare that to Sydney where transport is an absolute wreck. Light Rail is two years behind schedule and doubled my morning commute

Sydney public transport is an absolute joke and now Berejiklian is saying we need to cut migration in half.

I hope NSW voters punish the State government hard but I have far less confidence in this state. It's truly a wasteland.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Sydney public transport is an absolute joke and now Berejiklian is saying we need to cut migration in half.

I hope NSW voters punish the State government hard but I have far less confidence in this state. It's truly a wasteland.
Berejiklian is the bane of my existence. The stadiums, the light rail, the metro fuckup, the sale of Land Titles authority, the blatant corruption, the mismanagement of preventative care, the awful education policies

I hate her so much. Hope Daley annihilates her

Oct 28, 2017
Andrew Bolt has officially weighed in the election with the claim that the Liberals would have won if the PM was Peter Dutton. They're completely certain there's a silent majority hiding in Australia somewhere, despite our country having compulsory voting.

I'm convinced the LNP is 100% dead as we know it at this point. It's going to transmute into the Republican Party and we can only hope that it's not successful at winning elections.

Nov 14, 2017
Andrew Bolt has officially weighed in the election with the claim that the Liberals would have won if the PM was Peter Dutton. They're completely certain there's a silent majority hiding in Australia somewhere, despite our country having compulsory voting.

I'm convinced the LNP is 100% dead as we know it at this point. It's going to transmute into the Republican Party and we can only hope that it's not successful at winning elections.
Tbf the Liberals would have stood a much better chance under Dutton as he would have flooded the state with white farmers from Africa, granted them immediate citizenship and also suspended the voting rights of every Muslim, green or union member in the name of national security after the Bourke St attack.