• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking there should be an election thread. Happy to do this tomorrow night if no one else volunteers.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/prime-minister-scott-morrison-egged-at-election-function

Fuckwit. A protester for refugees threw an egg at Scott Morrison, it bounced off him (or perhaps someone else, ABC suggested?) unbroken and an older woman was knocked over (she is OK) and Scott Morrison helped her up. And on twitter he goes on about union thugs and farm invaders. Scott Morrison is the only winner. I don't defend this egging.

Also, the high court unanimously dismissed Clive Palmer's attempt to prevent the AEC from publishing the preference results before WA's polls have closed.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say it's the worst thing for the party, I just hope he doesn't have some numpty as deputy.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
mark latham 2004 was much better at hiding how much of a dickbag he was though

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
marles is better than chalmers, a man too racist for even mark latham
Ooh, yikes then.

I only know of Marles because he's my local member, and never really feels like he's done anything. I'm sure he has, but in that regard he almost seems as bad as Sarah Henderson.

I did like his stance on coal the other day though, which I thought was pretty ballsy:
"The global market for thermal coal has collapsed, and at one level that's a good thing because what that implies is the world is acting in relation to climate change," the defence spokesman said.
Apologies for the source :(

CrankyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only know of Marles because he's my local member, and never really feels like he's done anything. I'm sure he has, but in that regard he almost seems as bad as Sarah Henderson.

I disagree, mainly because a bog standard Labor member is much better than any Liberal.
Henderson campaigned on repealing the carbon tax, supported penalty rate cuts and voted for every liberal budget since 2014.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
And the interest rate is going down again. I don't know the effects it has on a country but as someone who frequently buys things online from overseas and gets interest on my savings, it's not a good time there. My money is probably losing value.

And it doesn't seem like a good time to get into the stock market...

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
s3f3rrz.jpg

Next 3 years are going to be rough.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
pathetic

don't know if there's a more visceral way for me to register my disgust really. should probably write a physical letter to my local MP i guess

Nov 14, 2017
What's the play here? Do they really think that if these tax cuts increase the deficit they can wield the fiscal responsibility cudgel against the Coalition? That thing is like Mjolnir, it only works in certain hands. But also instead of just being immovable it electrocutes you or something if you try to use it against someone who isn't to your left.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
What's the play here? Do they really think that if these tax cuts increase the deficit they can wield the fiscal responsibility cudgel against the Coalition? That thing is like Mjolnir, it only works in certain hands. But also instead of just being immovable it electrocutes you or something if you try to use it against someone who isn't to your left.
They've been a neoliberal party since the Hawke days and this is what they do.

Nov 14, 2017
They've been a neoliberal party since the Hawke days and this is what they do.
Well yeah, I'm mostly surprised at how obviously ineffectual/self-defeating it could be as an electoral strategy rather than any belief in them taking a principled stance. It's something I would have thought was obvious even to them, considering they have a prime example of it from literally the last time they won power. Remember when Rudd "outflanked" Howard by making a show of stopping any further spending announcements and labeling himself a fiscal conservative during a campaign he'd already pretty much won? And how that counted for sweet fuck all once the GFC hit and everyone spent every second between then and the Liberals being reelected being hysterical about the deficit, only for it to promptly be forgotten? If so, congratulations, because you have a firmer grasp on recent Australian politics than the ALP.

Also if your point was that electoral pragmatism is actually of secondary importance to the very serious types then you're probably right and I should have known better.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who's ready for our fiscally responsible LNP federal government to navigate us through a recession of their own making?

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
At least we got that budget surplus....when in reality Government spending is needed to kick the economy in the pants.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Turns out "fiscally responsible" means "butchering the NDIS because lol fuck disabled people"
The amount of rejected applications from the NDIS is staggering - i have seen plenty of people in my work get rejected for various stupid reasons that make it seem like they simply don't want to pay out and then we find out they have all these unspent funds. Makes my blood boil as when someone is on NDIS it makes a world of difference and the fact that most Non-Profit agencies now won't accept someone without an NDIS plan it puts out those people who were receiving support before now loose access they were receiving pre-NDIS and being told they won't get anything else.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
The amount of rejected applications from the NDIS is staggering - i have seen plenty of people in my work get rejected for various stupid reasons that make it seem like they simply don't want to pay out and then we find out they have all these unspent funds. Makes my blood boil as when someone is on NDIS it makes a world of difference and the fact that most Non-Profit agencies now won't accept someone without an NDIS plan it puts out those people who were receiving support before now loose access they were receiving pre-NDIS and being told they won't get anything else.
Combined with the robo-debt its a 1-2 lethal punch to the country's most vulnerable
it is in no way justifiable
even from a sociopathic economy-only viewpoint, when the country is still giving multi-billion tax subsidiaries to the coal industries

Nov 14, 2017
The second-hand insider goss I got was that they weren't expecting (or even preparing that much) to win and were pretty confident that they could run a successful campaign of Abbott 2.0 style hysterics if Labor got in and the economy so much as hiccuped, which is all but guaranteed. However I saw ScoMo on 730 a couple of weeks back and he had the same shit eating smirk answering every question as he used to have when saying "on-water matters". So even if it is the case that there's some worry behind the scenes I wouldn't read too much into it, because the PM for one seems to be reveling in the fact that he can just say whatever he wants. "It's gossip, surpluses are stimulatory, why does the left want people to be addicted to drugs?"

Nov 14, 2017
The Trump-Scomo nexus of doom just keeps getting better.
The article makes clear that this is more of a weird coincidence than anything serious but still ffs.
Revealed: the QAnon conspiracy theorist who is friends with Australian PM Scott Morrison
A significant Australian proponent of the QAnon conspiracy theory is a family friend of Scott Morrison, and his wife is on the prime minister's staff.

In Australia, one of the more significant QAnon figures tweets under the handle @BurnedSpy34 and has amassed 21,000 Twitter followers in just over a year. BurnedSpy tweets daily QAnon material, including bizarre theories about Alexander Downer and Julie Bishop.

BurnedSpy has also linked Hillsong, where Morrison has prayed, to mind control, and praised Morrison for his apology to child abuse survivors, during which the prime minister used the term "ritual sexual abuse". The use of that term was interpreted by QAnon followers as referring to satanic ritual abuse.

He described the movement as "peaceful" and an alternative source of information, research and news for those who have lost faith in mainstream media. He said he had never been on the 8Chan forum and did not post there.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me the media in this country is awful. Either right wing chuds or completely brain dead liberals.

(Lenore Taylor liked this tweet too.)

Nov 14, 2017
We've got media personalities going full Askin on climate change protesters on national TV, but sure, social media is the true source of division.