• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Dutton's citizenship case against terrorist Prakash shredded

Fiji's top immigration official has confirmed categorically that Islamic State fighter Neil Prakash is not a Fijian national, meaning the Morrison government's stripping of Prakash's Australian citizenship is not lawful.

DJ Dutton getting a few more hits in before the club closes.

But seriously, what is the strategy here stripping this guy of his Australian citizenship (which now appears is probably unlawful) while we're also trying to extradite him from Turkey to come home and be tried for fighting for ISIS. Doesn't removing his Australian citizenship and saying he's Fiji's problem completely undermine our standing in extradition efforts?

Dutton's just doing this as a masturbatory gesture huh

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Anyone else going through the ball ache of re-mortgaging? Absolute farce, they are literally questioning every hundred dollars spent on the current account, asking about every expenditure. Considering we have a joint income that is over half of the total mortgage I find it really bloody silly. Back in the UK I would refinance every 2-3 years to get the best deal, it would take me a week or two until it was all done and dusted. This has now been going on since November and is looking to take another 4-6 weeks. The initial mortgage only took a couple of weeks to go through. I can see why house prices have started to drop, no one can be bothered to go through the crap of getting a mortgage. From what I've read most banks are doing the same thing meaning people are locked in to shitty rates because it's so hard to satisfy the requests for financial information. I understand not letting people buy outside of what they can afford but when your mortgage is only 20% of your pay every month they should show some common sense and accept that it's affordable. Rant over!

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Banks have tightened their lending as a result of the royal commission into them doing dodgy shit, as well as the housing downturn.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else going through the ball ache of re-mortgaging? Absolute farce, they are literally questioning every hundred dollars spent on the current account, asking about every expenditure. Considering we have a joint income that is over half of the total mortgage I find it really bloody silly. Back in the UK I would refinance every 2-3 years to get the best deal, it would take me a week or two until it was all done and dusted. This has now been going on since November and is looking to take another 4-6 weeks. The initial mortgage only took a couple of weeks to go through. I can see why house prices have started to drop, no one can be bothered to go through the crap of getting a mortgage. From what I've read most banks are doing the same thing meaning people are locked in to shitty rates because it's so hard to satisfy the requests for financial information. I understand not letting people buy outside of what they can afford but when your mortgage is only 20% of your pay every month they should show some common sense and accept that it's affordable. Rant over!

Fark I have to do this at the end of year.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
We're looking at all our money stuff and goodness gracious superannuation is a farce. Turns out I've been getting fleeced for the last decade.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
We're looking at all our money stuff and goodness gracious superannuation is a farce. Turns out I've been getting fleeced for the last decade.
What's been happening? Is it insurance (eg income protection) they bundled in at a level of coverage they know you'll never need?

When one fund started up I was paid $400 a week but their income protection insurance level they were taking out was for people who earn like $3000/w (actual figures are lost to time) even though 75% of the income ($300 for me) was the maximum payout. I cancelled all the insurance offers entirely.

I currently have two super funds, since I recently began a second job at a place that doesn't offer my previous fund as an option. Maybe I can still get HR to transfer it to that other account later?

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
How bad retail super fund bad?
Yep. The effect of fees on a growth spreadsheet were a real eye opener. Since most funds revert to the mean (average market performance) over time, the only real differentiator are the fees. How do some funds justify charging 1.5 - 2% when there are funds out there charging half that?

What's been happening? Is it insurance (eg income protection) they bundled in at a level of coverage they know you'll never need?

When one fund started up I was paid $400 a week but their income protection insurance level they were taking out was for people who earn like $3000/w (actual figures are lost to time) even though 75% of the income ($300 for me) was the maximum payout. I cancelled all the insurance offers entirely.

I currently have two super funds, since I recently began a second job at a place that doesn't offer my previous fund as an option. Maybe I can still get HR to transfer it to that other account later?
I made sure I chose my life insurance deliberately when Mrs Squirrel was pregnant with our first kid. I should make extra contribitions on top to mitigate the effect though - that one's on me.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i only have the life insurance, the income protection insurance is scam city

funnily enough i'm still on my old industry super fund. i should probbbbably compare fees with my current industry fund...

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I won't be able to access my super for another 50 years so at this point I just assume I will probably never see it. I'd be surprised if with everything happening in the world if there will still be enough money there for everyone to get their super when I retire. I'm essentially preparing myself as though it won't happen.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I won't be able to access my super for another 50 years so at this point I just assume I will probably never see it. I'd be surprised if with everything happening in the world if there will still be enough money there for everyone to get their super when I retire. I'm essentially preparing myself as though it won't happen.
There were two world wars and the Great Depression in the 50 years between 1913 and 1963. If investments made in that time could still pay out ahead of inflation (hint: they did), your super will be just fine.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Super is a good idea barring the end of the world, or worse, outrageous insurance policies and fees. A lot of people don't look at their super and end up getting it sucked dry by insurance and fees. It's pretty scammy like that.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
You can transfer it yourself online these days with mytax, mygov whatever its called
I'll look into it, thanks.

In related news:
Australians entering the workforce would be up to $533,000 better off in retirement under plans handed to the Morrison government that would weed-out scores of under-performing superannuation funds and force regulators to focus on the interests of consumers.

In its final report into the superannuation system, the Productivity Commission argues people in their mid-50s stood to gain up to $79,000 in retirement from changes that would put both the industry and retail sectors under increased scrutiny and competition.
https://amp.smh.com.au/business/the...500-000-to-some-accounts-20190109-p50qe7.html

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-hold-citizenship-ceremonies-on-australia-day

Scott Morrison has announced it will be compulsory for local councils to hold citizenship ceremonies on Australia Day, starting from 2020.

A change to the Australian Citizenship Ceremonies Code means councils will be forced to hold a citizenship ceremony on 26 January, another on 17 September, and institute a dress code that bans thongs and board shorts.

Speaking to the Sunday Telegraph, the prime minister said it would help "protect our national day and ensure it is respected", in the face of mounting calls to change the date of Australia Day.

wow, fuck this guy

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I got an unsolicited text message, here in Victoria, from CliveUAP telling me to vote for them to keep 100% of WA's GST in WA.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Hah, you'd think he would've learned with the shit he copped for doing it last week. It's a sure-fire way of guaranteeing people WON'T vote for your party.

Nov 3, 2017
Maybe it's just recency bias, but I'm starting to genuinely believe Scott is the worst PM we've had, at least within my lifetime.

Like I've never seen a government so beraft of policy and leadership. Just nothing outside of dumb culture war bullshit plucked wholesale from the Americans.

The guy has only been PM for a few months, but it feels like he's been here a decade and completely tapped out

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is a Hillsong Pentecostal, what did you expect from him?
Something else. For being such a numpty, Abbott at least had a vision for the country that was his own. True, said vision involved selling out the future prosperity of the nation to the likes of Murdoch and Rhinehart, but he at least didn't just copy and paste Vatican dogma and call it a day.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Even when they ran in 2016 they were pretty skint on policies; part of the reason Shorten was able to negatively define Turnbull was he wasn't proposing anything but nebulous "jobs and growth".

The few substantive policies they did have left all died at Super Saturday (company tax cuts) and with Turnbull (the NEG).

Culture war is pretty much all that's left to them.

Morrison's a dullard and everything he touches turns to shit, but the scope of what he could do was already tiny by the time he even got the job.

Holy hell that article was awful.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Something else. For being such a numpty, Abbott at least had a vision for the country that was his own. True, said vision involved selling out the future prosperity of the nation to the likes of Murdoch and Rhinehart, but he at least didn't just copy and paste Vatican dogma and call it a day.

Morrison is just adopting the same tactics American evangelicals have been using to drive a wedge between them and the left. Its the exact same thing, appeals to patriotism, meaningless troop worship, fucking over the poor using the prosperity gospel as justification, claiming to be for law and order campaigns through screaming about black on white crime, wanting to move shit from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem just to fulfill some bullshit end times prophesy, and so forth.

After Trump won an election by being the biggest dickhead possible, it goes without saying that a boring politician like Morrison would copy what every other conservative party is doing: turning culture war bullshit to 11. The campaign they ran in Victoria was no different from a bog standard Republican campaign (raising taxes, wasting money on stuff poor people will use, black people doing crimes), it just didn't work because we have mandatory voting, Labor actually offered policies and no one in Australia watches cable news 24/7.

RelaxedOtter

Oct 27, 2017
Remember all those months ago when the AFP raid on the AWU was leaked to the media beforehand? Well, after what I am sure was a completely thorough and utterly impartial investigation, there will be no charges laid against anyone.

Commonwealth prosecutors will not pursue criminal charges against anyone implicated in leaks to the media about raids on the Australian Workers Union (AWU).
Lawyers for the Australian Federal Police (AFP) told the Federal Court on Monday there was little chance of a successful prosecution.
ABC: No criminal charges for anyone implicated in leaking information in AWU raids case

Despite, you know, someone actually confessing to the leak (which means he was probably covering for Cash)
But her senior media adviser David De Garis quit over the saga shortly after, confessing to telling journalists the raids were imminent.

What an utter farce.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Kelly O'Dwyer is quitting politics and will not recontest her inner Melbourne seat of Higgins.

Internal polling must be apocalyptic for the LNP in Victoria.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Given she's the rumoured person to have said the party is seen as homophobic, sexist and climate change denying it's not difficult to believe she's got a set of personal and professional reasons to want to get out of dodge.

Doesn't sound like the LNP is the most supportive environment for working mums either even if you are one of the good ones

Nov 3, 2017
I hate Scott Morrison and the fact he is our Prime Minister, but at least I'll be able to get some measure of joy knowing his entire tenure as PM was spent miserably falling face first into crisis after crisis