• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RelaxedOtter

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to Frydenberg answering the questions on the banking royal commission findings, their line on all questions about how they rejected calls for the royal commission for so long were:
1. We are going to take action on all 76 recommendations
2. This commission was initiated by the liberal government
3. Labor didn't initiate a commission the last time they were in power
Repeated each time he was asked, so that looks to be their official spin for that question.

So, everything as normal there, just pivot back to attack Labor and ignore their own intransigence.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Holyyy sheeeiiiittt:
High-profile fund manager Geoff Wilson boasted about a plan to coordinate with a taxpayer-funded inquiry to attack Labor's franking credits policy. Can also reveal inquiry chair Tim Wilson owns shares in Geoff Wilson's company and they are related

In an audio recording obtained by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, veteran fund manager Geoff Wilson claims he contacted Liberal MP Tim Wilson to ask for parliamentary hearings into Labor's proposed changes to be scheduled at the same time as of one his own six-monthly investor roadshows.

But wait, it gets better:
Tim Wilson, who is chairing the probe into Bill Shorten's plan to rein in franking credits, is also an investor in funds run by Wilson Asset Management, a firm founded and chaired by Geoff Wilson with $3 billion in funds under management.

Honestly, never liked Tim Wilson, but this proves he's more corrupt than I think a lot of people had imagined.

Great news coming up to the federal election, though!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, these old people have actually bought into the "trickle down economics" bullshit? Wow. And that logic about "flogging homosexuals". YIKES.

All they're doing is passing on debt and mortgages from their negatively-geared homes to their kids.

Nov 14, 2017
Holy shit, these old people have actually bought into the "trickle down economics" bullshit? Wow. And that logic about "flogging homosexuals". YIKES.

All they're doing is passing on debt and mortgages from their negatively-geared homes to their kids.
They have to convince themselves that they're actually deserving of this government handout in a way that doesn't make them hypocrites. Thankfully, there's a deep reservoir of ideology from which to draw on.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm in a newsroom right now and i still have nfi what's going on lol but apparently the libs somehow managed to foul up their own legislation so badly that it the amendments may be unconstitutional

Abicus

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The Libs have maybe kicked the greatest own goal ever

Asked the Solicitor General for advice. SG says unconstitutional as uses public money, Bill cant start in Senate. Anne Twomey (Con Law god) says if a Gov lost a vote on a 'Money Bill' could be seen as a defacto vote of no confidence in the Government.

Crossbench and Greens/Labor just won vote 75-74 against the constitutional law issue. Pyne now arguing that the amendments shouldnt be accepted.

We're in for a few interesting hours here

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Looks like the government is about to fall all but officially by losing a substantive vote. I doubt any of the cross bench will test a no confidence motion but it's all over for ScoMo's authority. They'll limp on till May.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Question is what over votes might they now lose. Extending Parliament to enact the Royal Commission? Protections for LGBTQ students and teachers?

Could get out of hand for the government very quickly, you see why they scheduled so few days.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
So this Medivac (Medevac?) bill.
Does not apply to any asylum seekers not already in offshore detention. I repeat, does not apply to any asylum seekers not already on Manus or Nauru.

Simply allows for sick people already there to get medical assistance they need in Australia if it is not possible where they are. A doctor panel will decide if this is necessary, but the minister responsible can still refuse on national security grounds. All fine, no problem.

Now the government is going hysterical about this, saying it is a green light to people smugglers, boats are starting up, our borders are weak, it's all Bill Shorten's fault wah wah wah. They've reopened Christmas Island detention centre because reasons and won't somebody please think of the children!

1. If the perception in Indonesia is that the borders are now open, then the government are to blame because they are they ones telling everyone everywhere about it, when it is simply not true.
2. The bill does not change what happens now with turn backs and offshore detention.
3. The government controls the border force, any boat arrival now (same as yesterday)is the fault of the government and it's own incompetence.
4. This amended bill was supported by the Labor party, greens, centre alliance, ex liberal defectors turned independent, Derryn Hinch, independent cross benchers. This is a wide cohort of parliamentarians covering a broad view of Australian society.
5. The arguments by the coalition are similar to the hysterical themes on immigration and refugees prevalent in the US right now and this is extremely worrying.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Morrison has honestly overplayed this. I don't think he realizes the terror of boat people doesn't capture the electorate's imagination like it once did.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
To add further, the statement that the people smugglers don't care about facts, that the journalist questions on this were rebuked today as 'Canberra bubble' and 'nuance' smacks of Trump and his style. Trying that shit here 'scomo' is desperation and and a sign you've already lost.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Morrison has honestly overplayed this. I don't think he realizes the terror of boat people doesn't capture the electorate's imagination like it once did.
Well on the one hand, if anybody could fuck up selling jingoism in Australia, it's Scott Morrison.

On the other hand, this is Australian voters we're talking about....

source.gif

Nov 14, 2017
5. The arguments by the coalition are similar to the hysterical themes on immigration and refugees prevalent in the US right now and this is extremely worrying.
To add further, the statement that the people smugglers don't care about facts, that the journalist questions on this were rebuked today as 'Canberra bubble' and 'nuance' smacks of Trump and his style. Trying that shit here 'scomo' is desperation and and a sign you've already lost.
Idk, the boat neurosis has been post-truth from the get-go, whether we're talking about "on-water matters" (e.g. children overboard) or the dissonance between the focus/language on boats and overall immigration/asylum rates: "For example, while we are told that they have "stopped the boats", little has been said about the record 27,000 on-shore asylum applications in 2018. Most claimants have come by plane from Malaysia and China. While most of those sent to Manus and Nauru have been recognised as Convention refugees, only about 2 per cent of these on-shore arrivals succeed in their claims."

The coalition are definitely going back to the well on this out of desperation, and they may have drawn somewhat on lessons of Trump, Brexit etc... but I don't think it's representative of a big shift in political strategy.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Idk, the boat neurosis has been post-truth from the get-go, whether we're talking about "on-water matters" (e.g. children overboard) or the dissonance between the focus/language on boats and overall immigration/asylum rates: "For example, while we are told that they have "stopped the boats", little has been said about the record 27,000 on-shore asylum applications in 2018. Most claimants have come by plane from Malaysia and China. While most of those sent to Manus and Nauru have been recognised as Convention refugees, only about 2 per cent of these on-shore arrivals succeed in their claims."

The coalition are definitely going back to the well on this out of desperation, and they may have drawn somewhat on lessons of Trump, Brexit etc... but I don't think it's representative of a big shift in political strategy.
I agree with you here, and you do highlight a big problem that has been ongoing regarding the language in this area. It is self serving and purposefully designed to dehumanise and conceal.

The worry I have has been the constant referrals to the 'Canberra bubble' when any subject critical of the government's internal workings has been voiced. Now this has been attached to matters of fact in the border security area.

In my opinion the government have turned a corner towards 'fake news' and deflection ala Trump and Republicans to dismiss tough and uncomfortable truths which are non-arguable. This pivot is designed for and targeted to an electorate the government believes has large elements of anti-intellectual, anti-elite easily led voters. This is the right wing of the party out in the open, the 3 word slogan 'stop the boats' hardmen vs the weak, politically correct, soft, latte sipping arrogant enemy of the people.

For all our faults, I believe the Australian people are more in tune with political games, and are less forgiving of political parties that purposefully dumb down language and misrepresent facts.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
it's also weird because as far as i can tell nobody is actually buying his language and i don't know if that's a 'he can say what he wants he's getting turfed in may' or a 'nod and agree' kind of way

They're angry and frustrated and lashing out. Looks like they might lose another vote this afternoon on a Royal Commission into Disability Care Abuse.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
man jordan-steele heckling in his wheelchair against the libs trying to block the RC on disability care abuse is... an image

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the Buzzfeed job losses in Aus have been announced and, to be frank, they're really heavy. Trying to get a list of names now but I know Alice Workman, Josh Taylor (who took redundancy if we're being pendantic), Simon Crerar and Brad Esposito are going. Integral members of the AusPol team over there.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the Buzzfeed job losses in Aus have been announced and, to be frank, they're really heavy. Trying to get a list of names now but I know Alice Workman, Josh Taylor (who took redundancy if we're being pendantic), Simon Crerar and Brad Esposito are going. Integral members of the AusPol team over there.
crikey should hire em and use it as a chance to purge their old brainrotted op-ed boomers

Nov 3, 2017
God, r/Australia frustrates me. The community is generally reliably progressive on most issues, but any time Aboriginal issues come up, it's non-stop bullshit conservative talking points. Fuck those cunts

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Australians love to see themselves as happy go lucky larrikins who have made a go of it in tough circumstances so pointing out the country was built and continues to run on the back of a genocide and systemic discrimination of Indigenous Australians is the mother of all sore spots.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Australians love to see themselves as happy go lucky larrikins who have made a go of it in tough circumstances so pointing out the country was built and continues to run on the back of a genocide and systemic discrimination of Indigenous Australians is the mother of all sore spots.
Terra nullis was such an intrinsic part of the mythmaking of this country, it's hard for people to shake the notion even now. That the continent was brought into the British Empire by right of conquest is somehow anathema.

Nov 14, 2017
The next instalment in the Liberal Party/Helloworld cronyism saga is Jim Chalmers' #chumgate (clip from Tony Burke's yt because I can't find it on a news site). Imo it's a bit long and it isn't laugh out loud funny, but there are a few good plot twists and it hits all the key themes. 3/5

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I see an article from about a week after where she said she'd contest the next election. It looks like articles from right around the spill had been updated to have softer language.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
She committed to run again and then all of sudden when the government needed to take the heat of Hockey and Cormann, off she goes. Not saying they pushed her, i'm sure the decision was made a while back, but the timing is awfully convenient for the news cycle.