• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmm.

hhdUmqjm.jpg

tri_willy

Oct 28, 2017
How can someone who is not democratically elected, present a govt granted cheque to a bowling club oh wait... its Mayo... its Georgie... its self entitlement

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
The ABC expects Christopher Pyne to announce tomorrow that he'll retire from federal politics at the next election.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...-paris-climate-agreement-20190308-p512op.html

Speaking at the Sky News candidate forum on Friday, Mr Abbott said he believed until recently that pulling out of the Paris treaty was "the only way to break the emission obsession", but "circumstances have changed".
"I think the government has lost its emissions obsession now that Angus Taylor is the energy minister. So I don't think it is now necessary but I certainly think it's important we get more baseload power into the system as quickly as possible," he said.
"I'm not calling for us to pull out [of Paris] … We've got a new Prime Minister and a new energy minister.

"We had an emissions obsession that needed to be broken, and it has now changed."

Cool!

Holy hell the internal polling must be telling him he's going to lose his seat I think it's happening

Nov 14, 2017
Anyone from NSW got any takes on the state election? Is it happening?
I'm guessing "it" is the Libs losing, but as someone outside of Sydney "is it happening" is something you could ask about the election in general. Regional areas are meant to be a key battleground for this one (Labor are pushing it in their messaging) but the bigger stories at this stage are things like pill testing, stadiums in Sydney, public transport in Sydney and the night life in Sydney. Might also be that I'm in a safe Labor seat so the campaigns could be a bit more active in the marginals.

I think Labor could take it, Daley becoming leader relatively recently might have given him a bit of momentum/recognition that state opposition leaders usually lack. Also Leyonhjelm is ranked lower than the Liberals on the upper house ballot so there's a better chance he ends up in the bin.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
People are pretty unhappy and so I wouldn't be shocked if Gladys is sleepwalking into a surprise loss.

The real worry for me is what sort of scum is going to rise up as a consequence of people going third party to PHON, the Shooters, Leyonhjelm.

New South Wales is an incredibly cursed state full of the worst elites in this country and I have absolutely no faith in broad swathes of the electorate.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Possibly, none of this is good news for the Coalition.

Though the ALP will need better numbers for a majority due to how the votes are transferring outside of Sydney. Most likely is still a coalition minority propped up by the SFF and regional indies.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
It's weird how much they're fighting back on this one given how overwhelming the evidence seems, even in the face of the Christchurch massacre. ScoMo usually just calls it part of the Canberra bubble.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
What a weird unforced error. Can't believe he edged out Daley, at least Daley didn't have any part in his dumbass comments resurfacing this week since that was a LNP media drop. ScoMo could have just let the Waleed thing sit but by drawing attention to it he's given it oxygen for at least another week or so

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
only threatening to sue the Muslim, when the story has been repeated by the entire media, sure is a good look.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Bit baffled by the interview. Who was that for?

Anyone who had misgivings about Scott can't have been comforted given he refused to rule out preference deals with One Nation, and his weak defence of his cabinet remarks of Islamaphobia was that he wanted to fight it.

And alternatively anyone looking for strength and dogwhistles didn't get that either. Any bigoted shit kickers on the fence between him and One Nation cannot have been impressed at how much he superficially praised Muslims and threw Christensen and Dutton to the wolves.

Oct 28, 2017
Bit baffled by the interview. Who was that for?

Anyone who had misgivings about Scott can't have been comforted given he refused to rule out preference deals with One Nation, and his weak defence of his cabinet remarks of Islamaphobia was that he wanted to fight it.

And alternatively anyone looking for strength and dogwhistles didn't get that either. Any bigoted shit kickers on the fence between him and One Nation cannot have been impressed at how much he superficially praised Muslims and threw Christensen and Dutton to the wolves.

I found it on Youtube, but I think it's also on the Channel 10 website.

I don't get why ScoMo agreed to do this. He comes off so strange. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83_...uyR5MGvHQYo9MVrcS2qd--zbm1ep41Ywu681wo7uzDkGw

It seems like an attempt to soften the moderate's view on the Liberals, which has been overwhelmingly negative. My boss is blue blood as fuck as even he thinks the current Liberal Party is clearly sexist, racist and totally willing to appeal to the nutters on the far right. Morrison can't afford to lose people like that, they are not just votes but also political donors.

The problem for Morrison is that his far right dog whistling and his attempts to soften the Liberal Party's reputation for hating anyone more brown than a 1990s lunch bag are mutually exclusive. Every media interaction that asks about the New Zealand shooting has Morrison realizing half way through his scheduled interaction with the media that he can't sit on the fence.

Basically: its the Liberal Party getting fucked over by the mandatory vote + preferential vote. They can't go full fascist, because that doesn't win elections, but they also want to go full fascist, because a lot of people in their party wants to follow to successes of right wing parties in FPTP countries (UK, Canada, USA). Victoria's LNP tried to do that and they nearly lost a blue seat to a random university student who put in around $200 into his campaign.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
If I had to do an interview as Prime Minister I would simply say things that pleased both the moderates and the fascists at the same time.

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, those things are kind of mutually exclusive. You can see what Morrison is trying to do but he sucks at this so he just ends up pissing everyone off.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Both NSW Libs *and* Labor are shit though, aren't they? Which is worse?
The Libs are clearly worse, but Michael Daley has fucked up and probably lost Labor the election. And he keeps on going back to the fucking stadium because he doesn't think any of their other policies are worth spruiking because he's a fucking moron.

The stadiums issue was worth a lot of political capital when you had the balls to stand up to Alan Jones two weeks ago. That capital is spent, you're supposed to move on to what other things you've got, not keep revisiting it every day you nong.

It took his deputy to call out that the Libs have done fuck all about climate change and practically shelved all plans to deal with it in the last two years while he's out banging on about a stadium that's already being demolished by the Libs on the last fucking day before the election.

At this point, Daley is only marginally more competent than Luke Foley was, he's just a lot less scummy.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
It seems like an attempt to soften the moderate's view on the Liberals, which has been overwhelmingly negative. My boss is blue blood as fuck as even he thinks the current Liberal Party is clearly sexist, racist and totally willing to appeal to the nutters on the far right. Morrison can't afford to lose people like that, they are not just votes but also political donors.

The problem for Morrison is that his far right dog whistling and his attempts to soften the Liberal Party's reputation for hating anyone more brown than a 1990s lunch bag are mutually exclusive. Every media interaction that asks about the New Zealand shooting has Morrison realizing half way through his scheduled interaction with the media that he can't sit on the fence.

Basically: its the Liberal Party getting fucked over by the mandatory vote + preferential vote. They can't go full fascist, because that doesn't win elections, but they also want to go full fascist, because a lot of people in their party wants to follow to successes of right wing parties in FPTP countries (UK, Canada, USA). Victoria's LNP tried to do that and they nearly lost a blue seat to a random university student who put in around $200 into his campaign.

This is why they are massively sandbagging Victoria. Some internal polling leaked suggesting the state bloodbath will be repeated in May. Though the same polling also suggested they could win seats in Queensland (Herbert) and NSW (Maquarie and Dobell), unlikely at best. It also suggested they could win the 3 non-hobart...ish seats in Tassie. That one is fanciful at best. The tactic seems to be minimizing the 5-7 seat loss in Victoria and picking up a few to flop across the line.

I think the same people that did the internal polling that said the libs were in the hunt in Victoria did this.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot all about it (I'm not in NSW) in the morning until I saw your post. And so I immediately turned to ABC 24.

Antony Green predicted Coalition victory just now.

EDIT: Though it could be a minority government.

Last edited: