Austin and Central Texas-ERA |OT| The Mopac Improvement Project

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
So this happened this morning:

Ignoring the anti-homeless rhetoric (the driver was a crazy guy too), lol wow

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yes, west Austin rich last bastion of Republicans, east Austin where people have been gentrified to. Pflugerville is a good balance, high diversity and education and upper middle class income.

Weat austin is where the Dell millionaires, VPs, CFOs, CEOs, and celebrities live.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona
Yes, west Austin rich last bastion of Republicans, east Austin where people have been gentrified to. Pflugerville is a good balance, high diversity and education and upper middle class income.

Weat austin is where the Dell millionaires, VPs, CFOs, CEOs, and celebrities live.
Cedar Park I've looked at frequently, but there's not all that much to do, mostly just a bedroom community. On a more alarming note, their comprehensive plan discusses...using religion leaders as part of outreach.

I know a lot of people bash North Austin and further, but I think it has a lot to offer, especially for families. Heavy emphasis on team sports, with a lot of stadiums being built in the area.

Last edited:

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I liked living in up north, personally. Having the H-Mart is a big quality of life thing to me. Just the traffic is so bad to get down south for work, suuucks.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Cedar Park I've looked at frequently, but there's not all that much to do, mostly just a bedroom community. On a more alarming note, their comprehensive plan discusses...using religion leaders as part of outreach.

I know a lot of people bash North Austin and further, but I think it has a lot to offer, especially for families. Heavy emphasis on team sports, with a lot of stadiums being built in the area.
Well all of the suburbs are suburbs. But Cedar Park, Round Rock, and Pflugerville are getting so large that there's really no transition between North Austin and the northern burbs, outside of that large plot of ranch and quarry land around 45/Mopac. I've lived in both North Austin and Pflugerville, and honestly the difference is that if you want to do stuff in Austin, add ~6 minutes of toll driving. The key to avoiding traffic in the burbs is to get a house within a half mile of a toll road with 0 traffic lights.

The suburbs also have perks. If you just want a stress free date night, there are several top tier restaurants you can drive to and park immediately in front of for free. For example, Ajo in Round Rock.

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona
Well all of the suburbs are suburbs. But Cedar Park, Round Rock, and Pflugerville are getting so large that there's really no transition between North Austin and the northern burbs, outside of that large plot of ranch and quarry land around 45/Mopac. I've lived in both North Austin and Pflugerville, and honestly the difference is that if you want to do stuff in Austin, add ~6 minutes of toll driving. The key to avoiding traffic in the burbs is to get a house within a half mile of a toll road with 0 traffic lights.

The suburbs also have perks. If you just want a stress free date night, there are several top tier restaurants you can drive to and park immediately in front of for free. For example, Ajo in Round Rock.
What's the main difference between Williamson County and Travis, you'd say?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
What's the main difference between Williamson County and Travis, you'd say?
I think Williamson county is at a higher tax rate, so if you're buying in Pflugerville or Cedar Park try to get on the Travis county side like I am.

Other than that, I'm just angry at both because I live on the border and both counties won't complete toll access roads and exits and say it's a "collaborative project" because both counties would fund it when really they mean "scapegoat project, fuck you, pay for downtown Austin bike lanes".

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
Lot's of unknown information in that video. Honestly I would've guessed the guy in the blue was the driver and not the homeless. Both individuals seem to share the responsibilty in what happened. Pretty irresponsible to tweet that as the guy works in politics.

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona

Also, on a more humorous note:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I would say too property taxes is the biggest differentiator between the two counties, yeah. On the street i live on, my neighbors two doors down begin the williamson county line . As our home properties have grown in value, we’ve talked taxes and i was surprised to see theirs $400 higher than mine.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my reply was simply going to be "taxes", but I thought he might be fishing for something more on the social end of things.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any good oktoberfests close, with real German food?
I usually go up to the one up in Whalburg. It's small but usually fun enough if you just want to hang out and drink beer / eat schnitzel

Fredricksburg does one as well but it was last weekend. I forget the name of the German restaurant there but it's fairly large and they have lax open container laws.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when the office goes quiet and you notice that squeaking sound all around you sounds an awful lot like crickets...

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Got friends on facebook already complaining it's too cold. God damn, move somewhere tropic you unreasonable people. It'll be 80 by Sunday.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile I spent the last 3 days in DFW sneezing my head off. I grew up in Garland without any allergies, but Austin has ruined it all for me :(