• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Living 2-3 minutes from the highway is one of the best things ever.

100% agreed, we have friends that moved into blackhawk/falcon point or whatever is east of that in far east pflugerville and it takes 10 to 15 minutes to get anywhere whereas we are off 45 and hit basically anything north of braker in 15 or anything northland in 22 minutes on weekends. We also live in pflugerville just on the west side. Being nearly a mile south of 45 reduces almost all of the road noise.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Reminder - Austinites have no fucking clue how to drive in today's weather. I went to the office in North Austin and it really hadn't done anything yet, but on the way home in Rock Rock/Pf, I took the access road to 45 because I saw ice. This asshole in a truck came from La Frontera, cut me off in the right lane, and slammed his breaks to turn right into a gas station. If there was an ice patch there, I would have had a very bad day.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The graupel is really starting to come down up north, even getting slippery.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I finally won an argument with the wife - thunder snow/sleet *IS* a thing.

We're both working from home, if this shit doesn't melt it may be a netflix evening.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Just got to work left super early because I was worried people would be stupid. Chilling in my car for 30 min. Not really snowing where I'm at just more of occasional sleet.

When I get off at 11 pm though?

Pray for me. Hopefully Parmer-->620 is okay

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be a miserable Austin Marathon next weekend. Into the 70's!

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
I was in Charlotte for the past couple weeks, was 75 when I left to come home today. Got to the airport around 9 this evening and the drive home was treacherous. Glad we don't have anything to do tomorrow, roads will be fucked in the morning.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Pflugerville doesn't have these 3rd world problems. Anytime there's a water crisis we just shut off the Colorado river to lake pflugerville.

Rhodo

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Any South Austin-ers still have mollusk smelling water? I feel like it's almost gone but we've already had our hydrants pumped. :/

Oct 26, 2017
If you guys haven't already, look up Mi Tradición Panaderia , go there and try the pastor dish.

Those had to have been the best tacos I've ever had.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Is the weather yo-yoing to this extreme normal here? I don't recall it being this bad last year
Lol, oh yeah! One year in Feb we had enough ice for school to be cancelled. A week later we got sent home from school because the temp was above 95 and they couldn't turn the boilers off/ac on for whatever reason (school was kinda old, modern kids probably don't have to worry about such things). And who could forget the snow on Easter a decade or so ago! It was like the weather said April Fools!

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad they expanded the parking lot at the Lakeline train station. There were actually still spots left Saturday night.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Is the weather yo-yoing to this extreme normal here? I don't recall it being this bad last year

Yes, it does happen I'd say a majority of years. The reason is because of Austin's location. We are too far inland and northwest of the gulf of Mexico to constantly be influenced by it, but we are also too close not to be. Depend on where low pressures are and the jetstream (el nino and la nina influence this heavily), we can flip between 70 and 25 in mid December through early March. We are just about far enough into the year where it's virtually impossible for ice, but we still will get the cold snaps, it just might be 70 as a high in early May, which is a welcomed break to then near 90 degrees and humidity.

My winter work attire is usually jeans, a tshirt, and a jacket. Works for all but the icy days. If it's too hot, leave the jacket in the car.

Last edited:

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
How's everyone holding up during sxsw??
Staying as far away from it as possible. I am content to hunker down in my corner of town until all this nonsense leaves.

Shit's overpriced, there are way fewer free cool things like there used to be in SXSW, most of my hangout spots are getting mobbed, etc. I feel like if you're a local, this festival (and ACL) are just annoying, hammy burdens at this point.

OP
OP
Timeaisis

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I went downtown Sunday just to see...I wouldn't say it was a mistake, but I got my fill for the entire week. And yeah, you are right, there are a lot less free cool things to do this year. Everything is badge badge badge badge. I mean, it's always felt like randos take the city away from us during South By, but even more so this year for some reason.

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
How does ERA feel about a meetup this Saturday?! Weather was supposed to be shitty and now it looks like it's going to be not bad! it'd be fun to celebrate and have a beer with y'all!

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
HEB's Creamy Creations ice cream is so dang good y'all.

Central Market brand (which is also made by HEB) is even better. Take my advice and get some Jamaican Jam and sprinkle some sea salt flakes on it. Literally makes my eyes roll to the back of my head, it's so good.

I would be down for some sort of meetup sometime. Like at a bar or something? I guess we'd need to figure out what part of town is most convenient for people (I'm in Central-ish Austin).

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
I would be down for some sort of meetup sometime. Like at a bar or something? I guess we'd need to figure out what part of town is most convenient for people (I'm in Central-ish Austin).

Yeah that's always the tough part. Here are some decent options:

There's Austin Beerworks (183 and mopac): It's probably the place furthest north I can think of, it's got ample inside seating AND is not too far south for folks in Round Rock.

There's Butterfly Bar (Manor road close-ish to 35) and Hops and Grain (East Austin): They're both centrally located but require a bit of a drive East, but they both have parking and have good interiors.

There's The Spokesman down south (35 and ben white): It's got decent seating as well and is also a coffee shop for non-drinkers for underaged ERAnts.

We could also go full-college and go to Spider House lol, probably the most centrally located place.

Afaik this thread hasn't had a meetup since Era started! That's nuts!

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm down for whatever. Granted I probably won't make it cause I got a baby and no time whatsoever. 😂😳😭

I'd like to as well but in my experience Reddit meetups have usually ended in aggression and death threats.

Granted, the last one was in Shanghai and /r/china is full of weirdos but still. So is ResetERA.

No offense to present company.