• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
HKmV8A0.png

Hello and welcome to Austin and CTX Community Thread! This thread is for REFers that live and work in the Central Texas area or those who are visiting. Come talk, relax, and hang out. We'll try to organize meet-ups as well. If you find yourself in town, or interested in the city in general, come on over and say hi. Forgive me for shamelessly copying this thread from that other website.

Upcoming CTX-ERA Meet-ups:
Suggest something

Past CTX-ERA Meet-ups:
None yet, this is a new forum, after all. ;)

Austin Mini-Guide
This is just the tip of the iceburg, Visit Austin is a pretty decent city guide.

Events
It's generally not hard to find events. There's always something going on every weekend.
Austin.gov events calendar
Do512.com

General Attractions and Fun Stuff
We have lots and lots to do here. This is a small list of some of the highlights.
6th Street - Rainey Street
The Drag
South Congress
Texas State History Museum
Paramount Theater
Bats on Congress Bridge
Alamo Drafthouse Theaters
Pinballz Arcade

In addition, we've got a bunch of cool stores all over the place for all your interests.

Parks, Wildlife and Outdoors
Central Texas has some beautiful parks and outdoor areas. Here's a handful.
Zilker Park
Lady Bird Lake
Hamilton Pool
Barton Springs Pool
McKinney Falls State Park
Mount Bonnel
San Marcos River

Conventions and Festivals
Austin hosts a lot of conventions and festivals every year. The list would be huge if I listed them all, but here's some of the bigger ones.
SXSW
Austin City Limits
Fantastic Fest
Rooster Teeth Expo
Ikkicon

Food
We sure do love our food here in Austin and Central Texas. We've got everything from Tex-Mex to asian fusion, and everything in between! We also have some damn good BBQ, but let's try not to start a fight with DFW-ERA.

Tex-Mex/Mexican
Arguably, our most known for food. We have tacos. Lots and lots of tacos. If you're looking for something more classy, Fonda San Miguel is the way to go.
Fonda San Miguel
La Condesa
Trudy's
Chuy's
Tyson's Tacos
Tacodeli
Torchy's Tacos
Tacodeli > Torchy's

BBQ
CTX ain't no slouch with BBQ, even though we might not as famous as the rest of Texas. The Salt Lick and Franklin are the two best. One's got a long drive, the others got a long line. ;)
The Salt Lick
Franklin's
La Barbecue
Rudy's
Stubb's
Micklewait Craft Meats

Asian
We've got a lot of great Asian restaurants, all over town!
Uchiko
Ramen Tatsu-ya
Michi Ramen
Pho Dan
Din Ho
Ka-Prow
Ichiban

Fusion
Probably most famous in food trucks, Austin has some amazing fusion eating. Some of it sounds weird, but it's quite amazing.
Koriente
Chi'Lantro
Verts Kebaps RIP Verts
East Side King
Kemuri Tatsuya
Thai Kun

American and Pub Fare
We've obviously got a lot of bars. Here's some that actually have good food, too.
Swift's Attic
Old School Bar & Grille
Blackstar Coop
B.D. Riley's
Moonshine Grill
Eureka
Bangers
Easy Tiger
Lucy's Fried Chicken
Frank

Burgers
Some old-school hamburger places coupled with some more modern hip stuff.
Hopdoddy Burger Bar
Top Notch Hamburgers (and Fried Chicken)
Hut's Hamburger's
P. Terry's
Mighty Fine
Wholly Cow
Twisted Root - RIP Twisted Root :(
Shake Shack
Hat Creek

Pizza
Austin has no good Pizza places. Sorry.
Just kidding. Pinthouse Pizza is good.
Via 313
Home Slice Pizza
Brick Oven Restaurant
Little Deli
East Side Pie

Italian
Mandola's Market
Carmelo's
Siena

Steak
Perry's
Estância Churrascaria

Dessert and Donuts
Tiff's Treats
Gourdough's Donuts
Mrs. Johson's

Fine Dining
We've got our fair share of fine dining, too. Here's a few that come to mind.
Barley Swine
Congress
Roaring Fork

Suggestions for anything are welcome! Tried a new restaurant? Got some activity or place that you think other CTX-REFers would like? Think I'm overlooking something obvious? Let me know. I'll try to keep the OP updated as best as I can.

Thanks for reading, and stay weird, ACTX-ERA!

Last edited:

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Hey AustinGaf! Couple weeks ago I dropped by to catch some bands at ACL, my third year going to the fest and it was amazing as usual. Also got a chance to catch a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse in South Lamar, grab a pin and watch a Q&A with an actress from Blade Runner. Austin is really a special place.

I still haven't tried Torchy's, I'll be sure to do that next time I'm in town.
I wonder if Groovy made the move...

He is over at the WrassleEra OT.

OP
OP
Timeaisis

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hey AustinGaf! Couple weeks ago I dropped by to catch some bands at ACL, my third year going to the fest and it was amazing as usual. Also got a chance to catch a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse in South Lamar, grab a pin and watch a Q&A with an actress from Blade Runner. Austin is really a special place.

I still haven't tried Torchy's, I'll be sure to do that next time I'm in town.

He is over at the WrassleEra OT.

Nice! I hope you had a good time. I almost went to that same BR screening :P

And thanks for pointing me to Groovy, I'll go bug him. :P

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hey guys! Born and raised in Austin.
Just want to say the al pastor on corn at Veracruz is a transcendent, life-altering tasty taco. I haven't been to Valentina's yet. I hear good things.

McHuj

Oct 27, 2017
Austin TX
Food

For Italian, I'd add Reale's Pizza Cafe on 183. Awesome place.

And my new favorite place The Rotten Bunch, a Wine and tapas bar.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
For American/Pub Fare, I recommend adding Frank which is at 4th and Colorado. They do a lot of artisan sausages and stuff that's kind of wonderful.

Also, Austin Pizza Garden is pretty decent pizza
and is supposedly haunted.

OP
OP
Timeaisis

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Welcome!!

And thanks for the recs! I copypasted this OT from --redacted-- so it's like really old haha.

I can't believe I forgot Frank, though...derr. I'll update it in a bit!

And good god, yeah it's cold suddenly. Yesterday I had to wear...a sweater!

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
episode-7.gif

It's surreal seeing all of our previous posters and communities making it over to RE. Just surreal.

Also, it's weird having Halloween on a Tuesday. Felt like it was on a weekend for like ten years straight.

AkuMifune

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hai guys. I met up with you at pinballz once. I only had one daughter then. Now I have 3, lol.

Hopefully it won't rain on Halloween.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Hope yall check out the New Central Library now that is open. The building is gorgeous and some of the staff there are friends of mine who are pretty great at what they do.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
And good god, yeah it's cold suddenly. Yesterday I had to wear...a sweater!

Tell me about it, my Indy jacket has gotten significantly more wear than it was ever supposed to this month!

How's it going Austin/CTX Era! Been in the city for about 5 years now, but somehow never really posted in the old thread. New forum is as good a time as any to shoot the breeze with Y'all!

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I just found this thread finally, so...hey, everyone! Good to see you over here!

OP
OP
Timeaisis

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hello! Glad you guys found the thread!

I was getting all used to fall, and now we're back in the 70s again. Make up your mind, Austin.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
C'mon Timeaisis, you know that it wouldn't be Austin if it could!

So I went to the Texas Monthy BBQ Fest with a friend over the weekend and good lord... Suffice to say, that is probably going to be an annual event for us going forward. Great vibe and a killer BBQ lineup. I now have a new favorite place for ribs.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Has anyone ever been to that Fantastic Arcade thingy that Wiley Wiggins got set up? What's that like exactly? Also, are there any normal like Arcades in Austin anymore? I feel like the only cabinets I find are the ones in Laundry Mats. ;_;

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Double post but why not?

I've been here since October 1st, live in Round Rock really. But. Still.

When to the Alamo. Yesterday and it was the coolest thing ever. Though I usually dislike eating in the dark, it somehow worked.

Then got a tour of the Omni hotel courtesy of erm. Someone I might be married to worrying in a high class office there. Took some. Pics! FROM THREE PENTHOUSE

https://i.imgur.com/aThbYum.jpg[7[
http://imgur.com/a/iwtJj

Edit ; pictures I will figure out later

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Staph advertising Austin. Too many people already. There's like 10 massive building be built simaltaneosly. Well be gentrified to Manor in 10 years at this rate.

With that said going to wizard world comicon.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Also what are they filming at the round rock express right now? Walking Dead? Wonder why they put a set here after having bases in LA and Atlanta.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
When is comic con? I have to train all December for my new fun job free lunch yay even have to cancel my first Rheumatology appointment haven't seen a rheumatologist since June which sucks cuz I can't get any of my medicine refilled. I'm trying to work something out with the new doctor but I doubt I'll be able to.

Edit as for what's being filmed the express I have no freaking clue I avoid all that shit as much as possible. I have my Google Maps set to avoid highways and toll ways so I take back roads everywhere. Y'all got to remember that before Austin the biggest city I lived in had four thousand people in it. Total. Wonder if I could take a bus to work cuz it does 30 minute commute

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Comicon us right now. Tomorrow is the last day. Not nearly as big as San Diego or even San Antonio though.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Damn. I've always wanted to go to one. I've always been way too far away or two broke or two whatever you know having two kids and all. It shouldn't have raised them all to be Geeks. Cuz now I'm going to have to pay for their admission as well it's going to be pricey

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Also I agree that Taco Deli > Torchys, but you have to get the right tacos. The Otto and that shredded brisket one with Dona sauce is God tier.

But if you're going for authentic tacos go to Taco More.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Also what are they filming at the round rock express right now? Walking Dead? Wonder why they put a set here after having bases in LA and Atlanta.
Fear the Walking Dead, last finale had them talking about Houston

Edit as for what's being filmed the express I have no freaking clue I avoid all that shit as much as possible. I have my Google Maps set to avoid highways and toll ways so I take back roads everywhere. Y'all got to remember that before Austin the biggest city I lived in had four thousand people in it. Total. Wonder if I could take a bus to work cuz it does 30 minute commute

Round Rock just added an express bus that will take the Mopac toll.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
For Comicon, I got to see Felicia Day, Jon Heder, Jason Momoa, Michele Nichols, Joe Flanagan, and others. Val Kilmer was consistently absent though; probably a bat signal.

OP
OP
Timeaisis

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hey Fiction! Welcome.

It did suddenly get cold. I'm kind of hoping this one sticks, though. I'm tired of planning my wardrobe around temperature changes throughout the day.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Felicia Day said that she's a big fan of Taco Deli at the con yesterday so thatr settles that debate.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's okay to be wrong sometimes, not everyone likes flavor in their tacos.

Don't care that they've gone full chain, I still prefer Torchy's to Tacodeli. Always have, always will.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
It was even colder in northeast Texas (was near Dallas over the weekend), was 37 when I hit the road at sunrise this morning. =#