• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56909

User requested account closure
Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
I walk down congress to and from work every day. The homeless problem is getting pretty bad. I've been doing my best to help out folks when I can. But there's just so many that need help. I hope the city can improve this. Also unrelated can someone tell me what i-35 is suddenly now worse mid sept-oct it looks like their doing a ton of roadwork northbound 35 down in South Austin.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I walk down congress to and from work every day. The homeless problem is getting pretty bad. I've been doing my best to help out folks when I can. But there's just so many that need help. I hope the city can improve this. Also unrelated can someone tell me what i-35 is suddenly now worse mid sept-oct it looks like their doing a ton of roadwork northbound 35 down in South Austin.
Austin just might have the worst governing body out of the "America's brightest new cities" and has for decades. This crap is just helping illuminate it, they have no idea what they're doing.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Not going to lie, Kinda with Abbot (fucking ugh) putting pressure on Adler to do something about the homelessness problem though let's be honest, the fucking state hasn't done anything about it either and Abbot could have tackled this any time. Driving up to 183 is so foreign to me now with all the tents popping up all over the place.

This state man, I swear. 2nd least vaccinated state, ranked shitty for education, homelessness and child poverty.

Even in the burbs they're starting to show up. In Pflugerville specifically, which we have a law against. I had to resist a facebook pflugerville group argument because all of these bleeding heart people are shaming anyone that didn't want homeless to freely panhandle, calling anyone that disagrees nazis. I wanted to reply about how dangerous and disruptive it is for traffic, and that really there should be rehabilitation as a lot of career panhandlers are drug addicts or have mental health issues. I know because I've heard several of their stories at an AA meeting around rundberg - some of these guys are shaking because their physical addiction to alcohol is so strong they need a medically supervised withdrawal. So instead of arguing I just reported the conversation to admins and they got nuked. Yay social media restraint.

At least a lot of the homeless I've seen are more docile. More alcoholics and heroine addicts. Crackhead and meth addict homeless people in San Francisco are aggressive. I had one in a wheelchair chasing (obviously not keeping up) me and yelling "mother fucker!!!!" straight out of a Shameless episode. Also in San Francisco you see the shit squad in the mornings with streams of shitty soap on streets.

I don't want that solution. It should be rehabilitation and public restrooms. Keep them off the streets, a win for everyone.

Oct 26, 2017
Even in the burbs they're starting to show up. In Pflugerville specifically, which we have a law against. I had to resist a facebook pflugerville group argument because all of these bleeding heart people are shaming anyone that didn't want homeless to freely panhandle, calling anyone that disagrees nazis. I wanted to reply about how dangerous and disruptive it is for traffic, and that really there should be rehabilitation as a lot of career panhandlers are drug addicts or have mental health issues. I know because I've heard several of their stories at an AA meeting around rundberg - some of these guys are shaking because their physical addiction to alcohol is so strong they need a medically supervised withdrawal. So instead of arguing I just reported the conversation to admins and they got nuked. Yay social media restraint.

At least a lot of the homeless I've seen are more docile. More alcoholics and heroine addicts. Crackhead and meth addict homeless people in San Francisco are aggressive. I had one in a wheelchair chasing (obviously not keeping up) me and yelling "mother fucker!!!!" straight out of a Shameless episode. Also in San Francisco you see the shit squad in the mornings with streams of shitty soap on streets.

I don't want that solution. It should be rehabilitation and public restrooms. Keep them off the streets, a win for everyone.

Agree with you!

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I find the homeless people here in Austin pretty docile. I have encountered real aggressiveness in San Francisco and Santa Monica/Venice.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand how Austin became such a hotspot for the homeless all of a sudden. We don't have resources, and the weather here is awful.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I just don't understand how Austin became such a hotspot for the homeless all of a sudden. We don't have resources, and the weather here is awful.

I don't understand it fully either.

I do know that they hitchhike and migrate. One AA story from a homeless alcoholic in Austin was about how he resisted the urge to head down Houston on a volunteer work bus only to loot booze during the aftermath of Harvey. Obviously that's just an anecdote, but they'll go to greener pastures.

But a lot of them do want to get sober, which at their point is necessary in order to stop being homeless. They go to these AA meetings, but AA is kind of a self help program with mixed results, and once someone gets to that point it's unlikely they are going to get a good sponsor to work the steps to remove resentments that stop the excuses to drink away sorrows. They also are at a level of addiction that needs medical supervision for detoxing, and probably needs a month of sober living with the Sinclaire Method to ensure they stop drinking. Basically rehabilitation is the only hope for a lot of them. Handing them cash isn't going to help in most cases.

Last edited:

Quaker

Oct 27, 2017
The Drafthouse season pass doesn't include 35mm showings, does it? I think regularly they're priced a few dollars more than standard here.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017

I find the homeless people here in Austin pretty docile. I have encountered real aggressiveness in San Francisco and Santa Monica/Venice.
Nah, I see plenty of aggressive ones downtown. I'm a robust/muscular guy, so I'm never worried; but I see plenty of ladies rightfully nervous around these particular homeless people. I know I would be.
I'd imagine the Interstate has a big part of it, as well as our "acceptance for weirdos."

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Not going to lie, Kinda with Abbot (fucking ugh) putting pressure on Adler to do something about the homelessness problem though let's be honest, the fucking state hasn't done anything about it either and Abbot could have tackled this any time. Driving up to 183 is so foreign to me now with all the tents popping up all over the place.

This state man, I swear. 2nd least vaccinated state, ranked shitty for education, homelessness and child poverty.

It's really gotten bad, hasn't it? It's been a while since I've lived in Austin, I remember walking downtown at 3 in the morning without worrying about anything.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Is the homeless population actually increasing or just becoming way more visible + more of a political hot potato? The ECHO stats don't show a sudden huge jump this year AFAIK, but the ordinances allowing camping (plus changes to how the likes of ARC work) are putting them way more in your face.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if the population is increasing, but the Braker / 183 intersection I live next to is starting to look like a shantytown.

Oct 26, 2017
Another day of allergy misery. Feels like a ball of mucus is stuck at the center of my collar bone. I hate this.

I dunno if the population is increasing, but the Braker / 183 intersection I live next to is starting to look like a shantytown.

Right. I work at great hills trail and the stretch of 183 from there until the McNeil exit feels exactly like that

Deleted member 56909

User requested account closure
Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
So my car got totaled on I 35 dude behind me slammed into my car causing a 4 car collision I'm ok thank God but my cars totaled. I feel like i should blame acl but I dunno. Fucking hate I -35

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
~30 more hours of hell season.

We are so overdo for the cooldown that next weekend a 2nd cold front will bring lows of 49. Get the heavy bedsheets out, no turning on the fucking heat yet I want 2 months of $140 electric bills first.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
So my car got totaled on I 35 dude behind me slammed into my car causing a 4 car collision I'm ok thank God but my cars totaled. I feel like i should blame acl but I dunno. Fucking hate I -35

Sorry to hear that. Glad it was just your car.

My wife was super close to getting totalled or worse nearly 2 weeks ago on 130 north around 7pm. She said this dumbass mid 20s guy in a sports car was swerving around cars and then didn't check a blind spot and triggered a pileup of a dozen cars or so. My wife was behind the last that got hit, a truck, stopped within 1 inch spinning out from going 80 to 0 suddenly. The guy in the truck got out with his arm cut up, streaming blood and asked if my wife was okay. She was, so he checked on the next car. Still some good people in the world. My wife was basically in PTSD for days, she seriously is considering changing jobs to avoid 130 because it seems like there are a few fatalities every day. We are also trying to get pregnant so it's even more of a problem.

Even on weekends if I'm downtown and google says take i35 i ignore it and head towards mopac. The entrances aren't merges of death, way fewer pileups, and if you can't stomach the choke points at 183 and northland you can take the toll lane.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
~30 more hours of hell season.

We are so overdo for the cooldown that next weekend a 2nd cold front will bring lows of 49. Get the heavy bedsheets out, no turning on the fucking heat yet I want 2 months of $140 electric bills first.
Not before it hits the 90's again though...

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Gotta start somewhere. Need waves of Colorado and Canadian air to cool down this ~100 highs in October nonsense.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Weather next week gonna feel like

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
It's now below 90 and will only be 90 for a couple of hours a few more days the rest of the year. Praised fucking be.

The front is heading this way, hitting early morning. Hopefully clear out some of the particulate matter, air quality is shit.

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017

Fuck that sucks. I'm glad you're okay though. There is always so much going on in I-35 . Construction, new entry patterns, sudden overpass openings, shifting lane lines...

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
PRAISE ZORDON! WE HAVE A COLD FRONT!

Also - if yall havent been out to the new Emerald Tavern, you need to check it out. They are still insanely busy but they have way more space and theyre still adding more.

I still think they should tone down the area where you buy games and give people more places to sit. They could relegate their purchasable games to wall shelves or maybe put it all in the back and have people order it off a menu. It still takes up too much space currently IMO, but overall, I LOVE the new spot!

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Also - if yall havent been out to the new Emerald Tavern, you need to check it out. They are still insanely busy but they have way more space and theyre still adding more.

I still think they should tone down the area where you buy games and give people more places to sit. They could relegate their purchasable games to wall shelves or maybe put it all in the back and have people order it off a menu. It still takes up too much space currently IMO, but overall, I LOVE the new spot!

At the old Sherlocks off 183? My friends and I checked it out, not enough large seating tables for large impromtu groups. We initially were excited because it means we'd never have to use that parking garage at Vigilante again.

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I was there on Saturday, super busy and we ended up having to play outside. Those patio tables are not great for playing games on, lol.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Both of yall are right. I wish they had more large tables, and that they changed the tables outside. Its crazy that with all that new space, people are still having to play outside. I am happy for them because I love it, but it is def one of those places you need to make reservations for or show up early.

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I had a good time! But more tables would definitely be good. Also, the big booths are like $40 to use after 8PM, which kinda sucks.

Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful day today, fam. Hope you're all enjoying it. Gonna take a stroll to the park with my Switch Lite so I can enjoy that on-the-go lifestyle in 70 degrees, baby

Oct 26, 2017
Was going to surprise wife with tickets to ACL on Saturday but its sold out. Friday I guess it is. Any advice for a first time purchaser?

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
it's been awhile since i've been to ACL but as i understand it, tickets go on sale waaay before hand and you have to purchase them quick cause they sell out quickly. at this point, you might have to hit up a scalper, who are always there and plentiful on barton springs just walking by. be prepared to pay out the nose though

again it's been awhile so this info could be dated

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
I don't trust the weather now, I feel like I've gotten my hopes up for it to cool down for more than a couple of days at a time that I'm actively avoiding getting excited.

That being said, I really hope this keeps up :/

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I don't trust the weather now, I feel like I've gotten my hopes up for it to cool down for more than a couple of days at a time that I'm actively avoiding getting excited.

That being said, I really hope this keeps up :/

It's definitely cooling down for good.

There's kind of a last hurrah Wed/Thursday when it'll be about 90 degrees from 2-5PM. Nothing like the 10 hours of 95+ degree weather each fucking day necessitating lawn moving at 8-9AM precisely to avoid noise complaints and not die from a heat stroke.