• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
So this happened this morning:

Ignoring the anti-homeless rhetoric (the driver was a crazy guy too), lol wow

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yes, west Austin rich last bastion of Republicans, east Austin where people have been gentrified to. Pflugerville is a good balance, high diversity and education and upper middle class income.

Weat austin is where the Dell millionaires, VPs, CFOs, CEOs, and celebrities live.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, west Austin rich last bastion of Republicans, east Austin where people have been gentrified to. Pflugerville is a good balance, high diversity and education and upper middle class income.

Weat austin is where the Dell millionaires, VPs, CFOs, CEOs, and celebrities live.

Cedar Park I've looked at frequently, but there's not all that much to do, mostly just a bedroom community. On a more alarming note, their comprehensive plan discusses...using religion leaders as part of outreach.

I know a lot of people bash North Austin and further, but I think it has a lot to offer, especially for families. Heavy emphasis on team sports, with a lot of stadiums being built in the area.

Last edited:

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I liked living in up north, personally. Having the H-Mart is a big quality of life thing to me. Just the traffic is so bad to get down south for work, suuucks.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Cedar Park I've looked at frequently, but there's not all that much to do, mostly just a bedroom community. On a more alarming note, their comprehensive plan discusses...using religion leaders as part of outreach.

I know a lot of people bash North Austin and further, but I think it has a lot to offer, especially for families. Heavy emphasis on team sports, with a lot of stadiums being built in the area.

Well all of the suburbs are suburbs. But Cedar Park, Round Rock, and Pflugerville are getting so large that there's really no transition between North Austin and the northern burbs, outside of that large plot of ranch and quarry land around 45/Mopac. I've lived in both North Austin and Pflugerville, and honestly the difference is that if you want to do stuff in Austin, add ~6 minutes of toll driving. The key to avoiding traffic in the burbs is to get a house within a half mile of a toll road with 0 traffic lights.

The suburbs also have perks. If you just want a stress free date night, there are several top tier restaurants you can drive to and park immediately in front of for free. For example, Ajo in Round Rock.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Well all of the suburbs are suburbs. But Cedar Park, Round Rock, and Pflugerville are getting so large that there's really no transition between North Austin and the northern burbs, outside of that large plot of ranch and quarry land around 45/Mopac. I've lived in both North Austin and Pflugerville, and honestly the difference is that if you want to do stuff in Austin, add ~6 minutes of toll driving. The key to avoiding traffic in the burbs is to get a house within a half mile of a toll road with 0 traffic lights.

The suburbs also have perks. If you just want a stress free date night, there are several top tier restaurants you can drive to and park immediately in front of for free. For example, Ajo in Round Rock.

What's the main difference between Williamson County and Travis, you'd say?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
What's the main difference between Williamson County and Travis, you'd say?

I think Williamson county is at a higher tax rate, so if you're buying in Pflugerville or Cedar Park try to get on the Travis county side like I am.

Other than that, I'm just angry at both because I live on the border and both counties won't complete toll access roads and exits and say it's a "collaborative project" because both counties would fund it when really they mean "scapegoat project, fuck you, pay for downtown Austin bike lanes".

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
Lot's of unknown information in that video. Honestly I would've guessed the guy in the blue was the driver and not the homeless. Both individuals seem to share the responsibilty in what happened. Pretty irresponsible to tweet that as the guy works in politics.

Oct 26, 2017
I would say too property taxes is the biggest differentiator between the two counties, yeah. On the street i live on, my neighbors two doors down begin the williamson county line . As our home properties have grown in value, we've talked taxes and i was surprised to see theirs $400 higher than mine.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my reply was simply going to be "taxes", but I thought he might be fishing for something more on the social end of things.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when the office goes quiet and you notice that squeaking sound all around you sounds an awful lot like crickets...

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Got friends on facebook already complaining it's too cold. God damn, move somewhere tropic you unreasonable people. It'll be 80 by Sunday.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile I spent the last 3 days in DFW sneezing my head off. I grew up in Garland without any allergies, but Austin has ruined it all for me :(

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
City Council: "Ok ok we'll give in, new homeless law to stop them from camping 15ft from storefronts."
Mayor Adler: "Yeah and it's physically impossible for someone to lay down and impede our sidewalks, they're like 5ft wide."

Austin: "Our sidewalks are 18ft wide you assholes."

god this city's government

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I had no idea that Stars of the Lid started in Austin.

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody make it out to Hut's for their closing. Me and my wife really did want to go, but with young kids, waiting for a table wasn't really an option.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Hut's was one of, if not the first, restaurants I went to in Austin, but... meh. I was never blown away by their burgers, and I couldn't be bothered to deal with downtown.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
But man has pest control been fun this year.

Started with yellow jackets in June-July. Then July-August thirsty birds discovered our pool and shat all over it. Due to the drought, the greenbelt is scorched so rats are setting up shop. Got a company setting up max poison bait this weekend before they chew up pool pump wires.

A trifecta of wildlife literally shitting all over our patio. I get the appeal of an sealable patio.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
But man has pest control been fun this year.

Started with yellow jackets in June-July. Then July-August thirsty birds discovered our pool and shat all over it. Due to the drought, the greenbelt is scorched so rats are setting up shop. Got a company setting up max poison bait this weekend before they chew up pool pump wires.

A trifecta of wildlife literally shitting all over our patio. I get the appeal of an sealable patio.

My first rental here was a duplex with a flat roof off of 2222 and Mopac (Highland Hills area) over the years I lived there...

-Family of Raccoons lived in my AC vents
-Fleas in the 2nd bedroom from said raccoons
-Neighbor had to shoot an injured deer on the property
-Yellow Jackets moved into the vaulted ceiling
-All of the Spiders

Loved that place. Also, spiders are pretty chill.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
My first rental here was a duplex with a flat roof off of 2222 and Mopac (Highland Hills area) over the years I lived there...

-Family of Raccoons lived in my AC vents
-Fleas in the 2nd bedroom from said raccoons
-Neighbor had to shoot an injured deer on the property
-Yellow Jackets moved into the vaulted ceiling
-All of the Spiders

Loved that place. Also, spiders are pretty chill.

I've had the spiders. If you don't get a quarterly pest control service, which you absolutely need for fire ants and yellow jackets, you'll get fuck tons of spiders. We had a new build and within a few months they were everywhere. Whatever they spray around the house's perimeter deters them. I also have to put Ortho Home Defense bug killer on my yard every 3 months otherwise Chinch bugs will eat all the grass and chiggers will bite anyone in the yard.

Haven't had raccoons yet. I hear they're less likely around here because of the standardized plastic garbage bins, whereas cities with BYOGB (bring your own garbage bin) get all fucked up and are easily openable by raccoons. But with all of the apartments built nearby it'll be next.

At least it isn't possible to get a skunk under the house and get stink bombed due to the concrete slab foundation.