• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gotten vaccinated yet?

• Had my first dose!

Votes: 33 23.6%
  • Had my second dose and fully vaccinated!

Votes: 86 61.4%
  • Nope!

Votes: 21 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you guys getting $550 a week from? Isn't it $550 a fortnight?

Yes, the supplement itself is $550 a fortnight, but it's on top of what you get for payments. So if you're getting the maximum rate of jobseeker, you're getting over $1100 a fortnight. If you're getting a lower rate of Jobseeker, then it's whatever you're getting for Jobseeker + $550.

Being on Jobseeker though gives you access to a number of other payments, things like Rental Assistance which is another like, $138 max a fortnight? I think that's what they said the current rate is, so your assistance could be higher. And then there's the payment being extended to Austudy/Abstudy, which can pair with things like disability pension and the rent assistance again, so, the rate of payment for each individual person receiving the supplement is going to be very variable.

Except that $550, that $550 you will get even if you only hypothetically, got 1c of the payments that the supplemennt is valid for

Dec 31, 2017
They need to address high risk people more as well, I get people over 50 are the major concern and all but people with pre-existing conditions are going to clog up hospitals just as much as the elderly.

My partner works in disability but also has asthma and a history of lung infections, considered essential but potentially high risk too.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where are you guys getting $550 a week from? Isn't it $550 a fortnight?
No, it doubled job seeker to 550 a week, 1100 a fortnight, plus benefits. It's a decent package.
Yes, the supplement itself is $550 a fortnight, but it's on top of what you get for payments. So if you're getting the maximum rate of jobseeker, you're getting over $1100 a fortnight. If you're getting a lower rate of Jobseeker, then it's whatever you're getting for Jobseeker + $550.

Being on Jobseeker though gives you access to a number of other payments, things like Rental Assistance which is another like, $138 max a fortnight? I think that's what they said the current rate is, so your assistance could be higher. And then there's the payment being extended to Austudy/Abstudy, which can pair with things like disability pension and the rent assistance again, so, the rate of payment for each individual person receiving the supplement is going to be very variable.

Except that $550, that $550 you will get even if you only hypothetically, got 1c of the payments that the supplemennt is valid for

Yup.
The maximum rate you'll get for Jobseekers if you are single w/o no dependants is $1131.40 per fortnight.
The maximum rate you'll get for Youth Allowance for Jobseekers, if you live at your parents house is $1012.5 per fortnight.
The maximum rate you'll get for Youth Allowance for Students, if you live at your parents house is $803.2 per fortnight.
The maximum rate you'll get for AUStudy if you are single is $1012.50 per fortnight.

This also excludes the two $750 payments scheduled for March 31st-April 17th and July, and also excludes any other benefits like Rent Assistance.

c3e78b0e-932e-4de6-aa33-5c0b467cec87.jpg

Prince Charles has tested positive for Coronavirus.

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like I'd make as much off Centrelink payments as I do from working at Woolies. Only I wouldn't have as high a risk of getting sick.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's around half the median wage, and the median rent in Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney is around $450-$550 a week. The minimum wage is 50% more, and still isn't considered a living wage.

Don't give me the condescending poor people can't manage their money and have too many kids stuff, thanks.
The minimum national wage is $740/week. You're out of your mind if you think that $550/week for you to do *nothing* at all is "pathetic". Governments must do what's possible to minimize the economic downturn but COVID-19 isn't exactly Australia's fault.

Last edited:

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
The minimum national wage is $740/week. You're out of your mind if you think that $550/week for you to do *nothing* at all is "pathetic". Governments must do what's possible to minimize the economic downturn but to COVID-19 isn't exactly Australia's fault.

Don't you have to meet job seekers requirements and work for dole too qualify for it? I wouldn't say you're doing nothing to get on the dole.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you have to meet job seekers requirements and work for dole too qualify for it? I wouldn't say you're doing nothing to get on the dole.
Right now, the waiting period for accessing Jobseeker after losing your job is waived, it's not assets tested, and right now while on Jobseeker, your requirements to maintain your payment have been waived (though this is only for a week at the moment, but some job agencies have been doing their own things prior to the official order from the Feds. I know someone who's only needed to have monthly check ins, another who has had no requirements to report for a few weeks.)

Westlo

Nov 4, 2017
Right ear is blocked... really do not want to go to a Doctor to get it flushed....

Might put some drops in for a few days and go see one of my regular doctors to get it flushed, hope he survives this since he's old and in a high risk zone, top bloke.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Right now, the waiting period for accessing Jobseeker after losing your job is waived, it's not assets tested, and right now while on Jobseeker, your requirements to maintain your payment have been waived (though this is only for a week at the moment, but some job agencies have been doing their own things prior to the official order from the Feds. I know someone who's only needed to have monthly check ins, another who has had no requirements to report for a few weeks.)

I know. I'm saying that the rhetoric of most people being on the dole are doing nothing to earn it is wrong.

partyhat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Tomorrow the government will finally announce schools are to close next week. Took them long enough.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Theres no way I would stay in some job that earns $1200 a fortnight or less, when Centrelink pays you the same for doing fuck all and then also you get to avoid risking yourself to the virus. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Well other than the traffic jam of centrelink currently.

Could be a good idea to do it once things settle a bit though. Might even force them to raise wages.

Oct 25, 2017
I got a small redunancy due to being laid off (11k) would I still be able to get on jobseeker due to the current circumstances or would I have to wait?

Either way is fine, but would be amazing to put the redundancy away for an emergency instead of living off it for now

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got a small redunancy due to being laid off (11k) would I still be able to get on jobseeker due to the current circumstances or would I have to wait?

Either way is fine, but would be amazing to put the redundancy away for an emergency instead of living off it for now
Seems like you can starting from April 24th-27th (?), as the Assets Test no longer applies.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Federal Government has lifted its restrictions on hairdressers and barbers, scrapping the rule haircuts needed be less than 30 minutes.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Went to Coles for the healthcare workers day. Massive lines for both healthcare workers and pensioners. I can tell you some pensioners were not happy we got in first. Managed to find some toilet paper!

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Preparing to leave NZ for the shitshow that is the USA in a few hours. I absolutely despise leaving like this. Even if there were no pandemic I would have preferred to stay. Same goes for Australia, such a pair of amazing countries.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
The minimum national wage is $740/week. You're out of your mind if you think that $550/week for you to do *nothing* at all is "pathetic". Governments must do what's possible to minimize the economic downturn but COVID-19 isn't exactly Australia's fault.

It's not the workers' fault either? The workers that were already among the most vulnerable anyway.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Theres no way I would stay in some job that earns $1200 a fortnight or less, when Centrelink pays you the same for doing fuck all and then also you get to avoid risking yourself to the virus. Seems like a no brainer to me.
True. Buts it's only a temporary increase and I guess it depends on how confident you are to find another job with everyone else looking for one too, once it goes back to $550/fortnight

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
From next week SA and QLD schools pupil free, only kids that can't attend due to parents working essential services allowed to attend. This follows NSW and ACT's school approach.

- VIC and TAS have pushed holidays ahead.
- NSW, SA, QLD, ACT keeping schools open for people that can't stay at home.
- WA and NT keeping schools open but allowing parents to keep their kids at home.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
The Tasmanian Government will refund public school levies, freeze water and electricity prices and waive power bills for small businesses under a second coronavirus stimulus package announced today.

The second tranche of support brings the State Government's coronavirus contribution to almost $1 billion, an unprecedented amount announced by a tearful Premier Peter Gutwein as he expressed regret at widespread job losses triggered by the pandemic

Aurora Energy will not disconnect any residential or commercial customers during the emergency period.

A series of no-interest loan programs for small-to-medium businesses and the local government sector have been extended.

The electricity bills of small businesses will be waived for the quarter from April.

www.abc.net.au

Two children among new coronavirus cases confirmed in Tasmania

Authorities say two children are confirmed amongst the latest coronavirus cases in Tasmania, as the Government confirms it will refund public school levies, freeze water prices and cap electricity prices as part of the COVID-19 pandemic response.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This will piss you off. China, motherfuckers. I'll refrain from posting something that will get me banned.

A Chinese government-backed property giant amassed Australia's supplies of masks, hand sanitiser, antibacterial wipes and shipped them to China.

The Greenland Group, which manages high-end real estate projects in Sydney and Melbourne, proactively drained Australian supplies of anti-coronavirus equipment, The Sydney Morning Herald reported. Three million surgical masks, 500,000 pairs of gloves and bulk supplies of sanitiser and wipes were bought up in Australia and other countries where Greenland operates.

While the bulk purchases and shipping were perfectly legitimate, the goods shipped in bulk to China include the very items that have been in short supply for Australian citizens as well as health professionals. They were accumulated at Greenland's Sydney headquarters and sent to China over weeks in January and February.

As coronavirus locked down Wuhan, the global Fortune 500 company put its normal work on hold and instructed staff in Australia, Canada, Turkey and elsewhere to source supplies.

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
The girlfriend is now on forced leave. We've got maybe 2 months tops if she takes it at half-pay A/L before we'll start missing bills and rent. I get to still plug on, to what basically works out to $150 more than ScoMo bux would pay me. plus! I'll probably get the bug along the way. Fun times.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to get some stuff for work from Bunnings today, they are limiting the amount of 79 cent plastic buckets to 4 per person.

What bizarre shit.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stop reading clickbait alarmist shit on news.com.au.

They sourced this stuff when the virus was initially rising and exploding in China, before any cases were recognised in Oz.

Not like we could use those now right? Sure it's a fearmongering news site but doesn't change the fact China bulk bought up goods we're now in need of. There is a non alarmist attitude here, and that is I'm still pissed off about it.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Not like we could use those now right? Sure it's a fearmongering news site but doesn't change the fact China bulk bought up goods we're now in need of. There is a non alarmist attitude here, and that is I'm still pissed off about it.

At the time they needed them and we didn't, or didn't think we did. Why is the problem them buying them and not us selling them?

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Like a few thousand face masks isn't even 0.00000000000000000000000000001% of what caused the situation to spiral to this point.

I supposed those hairdressers could use those mask now that they can do 30mins+ jobs.