• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gotten vaccinated yet?

• Had my first dose!

Votes: 33 23.6%
  • Had my second dose and fully vaccinated!

Votes: 86 61.4%
  • Nope!

Votes: 21 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like the major supermarket's workforce won't see anything from this. It'll likely fall on the employer to match the government's subsidy, which of course, they won't.

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
BgUXD5u.jpg

If you're with one of the big 3, expect nothing.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the major supermarket's workforce won't see anything from this. It'll likely fall on the employer to match the government's subsidy, which of course, they won't.

I mean, it's not people are getting a $1500 a fortnight salary bump. If the supermarkets are paying that much already why would they have to match a subsidy that they're not getting?

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, it's not people are getting a $1500 a fortnight salary bump. If the supermarkets are paying that much already why would they have to match a subsidy that they're not getting?

Except they aren't, a huge number of people are well under that job keepers number's a fortnight and will simply fall through the cracks and they have to expose themselves daily to the all the risks. At this point there is no incentive to work at all for these companies.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Except they aren't, a huge number of people are well under that job keepers number's a fortnight and will simply fall through the cracks and they have to expose themselves daily to the all the risks. At this point there is no incentive to work at all for these companies.

Oh ok, I understand the problem now. Yeah that sucks if that's the case.

I wonder if this stems enough job losses that people aren't desperate for the jobs offered by supermarkets that it will force their hands a bit in raising the wage. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Really though all this just makes me wonder why we can't have wide-sweeping welfare systems like this in times of non-crisis.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok, I understand the problem now. Yeah that sucks if that's the case.

I wonder if this stems enough job losses that people aren't desperate for the jobs offered by supermarkets that it will force their hands a bit in raising the wage. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

If they weren't represented by the worst union in the country this would probably be happening.

If you work in retail, join RAFFWU instead.

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
Sick leave and annual leave?

Sick leave (for me) isn't given in allotments anymore, you must accrue it since the EBA agreement came in, and my sick leave hours are basically fuck all, if I had another year and took nothing off, I'd be in much better shape. I'll burn that A/L up in less than a fortnight on my roster. I'd stay afloat for maybe a month on leave alone.

Job security for more than 6 months in the future?

Yeah, I suppose, If I'm even around at that point lmao.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A friend who works in employment law estimates that roughly 80% of hospo businesses underpay or otherwise don't comply with awards, so it's probably not far off.

Sounds like a compliance and education problem more so than 9 out of 10 business owners willingly ripping staff. I'm sure there are 1-4 out of 10 that do that but I refuse to believe it's 9 out of 10 purposefully. Perhaps I'm too optimistic. Fucks me off as a business owner of 21 years this year, we battle like fuck for what we have too. Shithead employers and employees ruin it for everyone else giving it a fair go.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a compliance and education problem more so than 9 out of 10 business owners willingly ripping staff. I'm sure there are 1-4 out of 10 that do that but I refuse to believe it's 9 out of 10 purposefully. Perhaps I'm too optimistic. Fucks me off as a business owner of 21 years this year, we battle like fuck for what we have too. Shithead employers and employees ruin it for everyone else giving it a fair go.

You are definitely being optimistic haha.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

Obviously I can only speak from a totally subjective experience, but I worked as a employment consultant for about three years and the frequency of hospitality businesses inaccurately paying clients was pretty outrageous. I'm not confident enough to throw any numbers around, and 90% seems very high, but it definitely happened a lot more than I previously would have thought and certainly would have liked. There's this unwritten culture in hospo where staff are regularly paid in cash, not appropriately documented, and underpaid legal wages and often without benefits.

Funnily enough, you can spot most of these a mile away, from my experience. Frequent staff turnover, sense of stress and tension in the staff, and generally mixed service quality. I know a bunch of cafes and restaurants that have always done the right thing; staff on the books and paid the right wage, and the most common factor I notice is that they have extremely strong staff retention and a more positive, elevated mood in service.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017

It's trite to say but that doesn't mean it isn't true: if that's the case, why aren't there an equal number of overpayments? The "mistakes" always go one way.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
The JobSeeker thing seems generally okay. Can quibble on details, but it's a reasonable package of support.

Also, you have to remember whatever cases you're seeing now are probably mostly people who were infected something like ~10 days ago.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

its going to depend on what incentives there are for compliance/deterrence vs non-compliance/chances of being caught etc

especially if underpaying workers is, like, shadow industry standard. and then there's stuff where like staff are getting underpaid by award standard but because they get cash in hand they don't report to the ATO so they dont get taxed so they effectively earn a bit more, company doesnt have to report them... classic

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
There's a special place in hell for the person who made up the name Jobkeeper.

You just know they were really proud of it.

Edit: I kid obviously but I do really hate the name!

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Quick question, a friend of mine works as a Pharmacist. She's unsure how this applies to her or if it applies to her at all and if she needs to make a Centrelink application because of that?

If her pharmacy opts in for JobKeepers, she will be able to keep receiving salary as usual. If her pharmacy isn't, she can apply for the JobSeekers benefit through Centrelink

ugoo18

Oct 27, 2017
If her pharmacy opts in for JobKeepers, she will be able to keep receiving salary as usual. If her pharmacy isn't, she can apply for the JobSeekers benefit through Centrelink

So she'd need to find out if her pharmacy opted in and then if they didn't she could then apply to centrelink and that won't result in a penalty or something since she's still employed?

EDIT: Also could she apply for Rent assistance? as she currently rents 2 places. One for herself and one for her parents and siblings (They came to visit at the start of the year and kind of got stuck an her place wasn't big enough for all of them so she rented a place for them short term that's looking like it might become long term as this unfolds).

Last edited:
OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So she'd need to find out if her pharmacy opted in and then if they didn't she could then apply to centrelink and that won't result in a penalty or something since she's still employed?

EDIT: Also could she apply for Rent assistance? as she currently rents 2 places. One for herself and one for her parents and siblings (They came to visit at the start of the year and kind of got stuck an her place wasn't big enough for all of them so she rented a place for them short term that's looking like it might become long term as this unfolds).
You can apply for Centrelink and then withdraw your claim if JobKeepers takes effect.

Rent Assistance is only available for people receiving benefits and is automatically applied if you filled the rental portion of the application. You are unable to claim rent assistance if you are not receiving a benefit through Centrelink.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can't imagine how long claims will take to process right now. In 'normal' times you could wait 2-4 months for something like an Austudy claim. To be fair, you would usually get backpaid, but the times you are waiting aren't easy.

ugoo18

Oct 27, 2017
You can apply for Centrelink and then withdraw your claim if JobKeepers takes effect.

Rent Assistance is only available for people receiving benefits and is automatically applied if you filled the rental portion of the application. You are unable to claim rent assistance if you are not receiving a benefit through Centrelink.

Ahh ok so if she for example did apply for Job Keepers then she could apply for rent assistance but then could withdraw the claim if the pharmacy did opt in down the line?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the new health orders came in for NSW like thirty minutes before midnight and they're like 6 months in prison (lol anyone going to prison during this?) or like an $11k fine for breaches of the residence leaving without valid reason or gatherings larger than 2 laws

on one hand it's pretty bloody huge power creep but on the other, fuck me, is anybody listening to this right now? I cannot tell

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh ok so if she for example did apply for Job Keepers then she could apply for rent assistance but then could withdraw the claim if the pharmacy did opt in down the line?
If she applies for JobSeekers, her Rent Assistance application automatically is added on, there's no seperate application for RA (sorry I wasn't able to clarify). She could then withdraw the claim if her pharmacy opts in to JobKeepers.

JobSeekers = Centrelink benefit (formerly NewStart)
JobKeepers = payment from ATO that sends $1500 per fortnight to businesses in order to keep employees hired.

ugoo18

Oct 27, 2017
If she applies for JobSeekers, her Rent Assistance application automatically is added on, there's no seperate application for RA (sorry I wasn't able to clarify). She could then withdraw the claim if her pharmacy opts in to JobKeepers.

JobSeekers = Centrelink benefit (formerly NewStart)
JobKeepers = payment from ATO that sends $1500 per fortnight to businesses in order to keep employees hired.

Ohhhhh ok and sorry final question, job seekers isn't restricted to people who've been recently let go or are unemployed in that case?

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Mygov was up for me before but I couldn't even log in to c'link. They must be getting hammered.

And even in 'normal times' it was a 90+ minute wait for services like Austudy etc. 9/10 times you couldn't even get onto a waiting call, it was just engaged and you would have to try again and again. It will be a nightmare for their workers.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck getting through to Centrelink though. From my understanding you need to call them and verify your identity before they will even make an account for you, and right now you can be on hold for couple of hours to get in touch with them via phone.
You can now register for an intent to claim if you don't have a CRN which would then allow you to finalise your claim online when they roll out the ability to create your CRN online at around April, when claims are starting to get paid out.

Mygov was up for me before but I couldn't even log in to c'link. They must be getting hammered.

And even in 'normal times' it was a 90+ minute wait for services like Austudy etc. 9/10 times you couldn't even get onto a waiting call, it was just engaged and you would have to try again and again. It will be a nightmare for their workers.
Strongly recommend not calling! Try out of peak hours to claim, my sister managed to claim for JobSeekers at 8pm.