• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gotten vaccinated yet?

• Had my first dose!

Votes: 33 23.6%
  • Had my second dose and fully vaccinated!

Votes: 86 61.4%
  • Nope!

Votes: 21 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
How long until we go to stage 3 and shut down all shopping centres and schools?? 2 weeks of increases? One month?
How they are trusting people to follow these confusing half measures is beyond me.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
How long until we go to stage 3 and shut down all shopping centres and schools?? 2 weeks of increases? One month?
How they are trusting people to follow these confusing half measures is beyond me.

And when people don't they're going to wag their finger and go "oh geez you guys I told you not to do it!"

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
During the press conference Prof Murphy said Australians need to behave "completely differently". My question is if he's met the average Australian.

You're correct, they're trying to delay the inevitable and making things much worse in the hopes that it will magically get better
Thank you. I thought I was taking crazy pills during our discussion. They even suggested "these people are smarter than us, they're making informed decisions" and I was shocked. We're a left household and while I think it's important to not immediately dismiss opposing views, I couldn't find any logic in what was being said.

I thought "schools will resume after the term break" to be INCREDIBLY optimistic. The next two weeks are going to be big - I can't see many schools re-opening.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
And when people don't they're going to wag their finger and go "oh geez you guys I told you not to do it!"

100%. I've already got people on my Facebook feed arguing a mass shutdown is overly reactionary and people just need to use common sense. While inherently true, in practice there is no evidence this will work, as it has never worked anywhere ever and certainly not here. And so when shit does spiral out of control and numbers rise even higher, I can absolutely guarantee without a shred of doubt these same people will sit on their high horse and gloat that everybody else and their lack of common sense caused this, not them, and if only people listened.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the victorian measures of the police taskforce and school closure are still in place over the shit federal rules.

Not that it's good, it's fucking milquetoast for Dan Andrews to not try to push for more, but it's better than what's happening on a federal level at least. Hopefully he continues to tighten up if things get worse.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
100%. I've already got people on my Facebook feed arguing a mass shutdown is overly reactionary and people just need to use common sense. While inherently true, in practice there is no evidence this will work, as it has never worked anywhere ever and certainly not here. And so when shit does spiral out of control and numbers rise even higher, I can absolutely guarantee without a shred of doubt these same people will sit on their high horse and gloat that everybody else and their lack of common sense caused this, not them, and if only people listened.

"Don't do these normal time things, but we sorta need you to keep doing that because oh god the economy."

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
Which state are you in? I'm a civil engineer in design consultancy and Transport and Main Roads in QLD has deemed construction an essential service in order to keep the economy going. Projects are even being fast tracked.

Caveat being I got this advice this morning, but I doubt it has changed.

VIC. I guess what the government considers essential services can change from one day to the next so... I am conflicted because i am glad we are continuing work and consequently getting much needed paychecks but at the same time I know that for a lockdown to be effective in fighting this thing it needs to be comprehensive . For now, work continues i guess.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
At least my mom won't have to go out to do open inspections. She's been mostly working from home anyway.

I'm more worried for my dad. He's an aged care worker and a carer, but he's also 60+ and had high blood pressure. I can't fathom how he would deal with contacting it and the traffic jam of people in the healthcare system during the peak.

I know his services are needed now more than every but I kinda also just want him to take a long service leave or even quit.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the victorian measures of the police taskforce and school closure are still in place over the shit federal rules.

Not that it's good, it's fucking milquetoast for Dan Andrews to not try to push for more, but it's better than what's happening on a federal level at least. Hopefully he continues to tighten up if things get worse.

School closures until April 14th. He was the only one to push up Easter Holidays and close schools. I'm pretty sure to a certain extent Andrews gives no fucks about the Federal Government and will do whatever its needed to lock the shit down.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
School closures until April 14th. He was the only one to push up Easter Holidays and close schools. I'm pretty sure to a certain extent Andrews gives no fucks about the Federal Government and will do whatever its needed to lock the shit down.
it took them way too long to even do that, and the shutdown should already be a lot more strict here, but andrews is easily the most proactive leader in the country right now

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I just found out a very good friend of mines father passed away. He developed Pneumonia and went to hospital last week but unfortunately passed away Monday. I don't think it's related to COVID-19 but now with these funeral and gathering restrictions I can't image how hard it is for him. His wife is also due to give birth to their first child in two weeks.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
On the bright side, now that vast of majority of australians have to experience the nightmare of centrelink, they wouldn't be so eager to vote in a party that's looking to gut it for some "tax breaks".

The people who knew it was shit have known for a long time and don't vote Liberal this won't effect the large older population who already is fucking us, majority of people I know now having to get Centerlink some for the first time are early to late 20s.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
it took them way too long to even do that, and the shutdown should already be a lot more strict here, but andrews is easily the most proactive leader in the country right now
This virus is literally unprecedented. Andrews can't just be like welp we closing down schools now. There's curriculum, VCE, school boards, migration to online learning, etc involved as well.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This virus is literally unprecedented. Andrews can't just be like welp we closing down schools now. There's curriculum, VCE, school boards, migration to online learning, etc involved as well.
oh yeah i don't think he's doing a bad job at all and is reacting to everything appropriately, especially when compared to the federal government. me saying maybe it should be more strict is looking back in hindsight of maybe how slow things were to initially escalate based on the presumption that the state government would have a lot more information about the virus than we would

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently I'm the only one that think scomo is doing a pretty ok job at this. Not once have I been confused as to what is being asked of me during these times.

Lol. If you can't see the difference between how Morrison is handling this vs Trump...

Oh it's pretty clear what he's asking me to do. It's also pretty clear that what he's asking me to do are half measures that don't make any sense.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Dan Andrews said that states need to take individual action and Victoria will need to be on stage 3 lockdown soon.

... Why not do it now?

At least it's an indication of an action over Gladys washing her hands over Ruby Princess.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Oh it's pretty clear what he's asking me to do. It's also pretty clear that what he's asking me to do are half measures that don't make any sense.
You'd rather everything just close up right now for six months?

Dan Andrews said that states need to take individual action and Victoria will need to be on stage 3 lockdown soon.

... Why not do it now?

At least it's an indication of an action over Gladys washing her hands over Ruby Princess.
Because, also like he said, these things take time to prepare.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the discrepancy of recovered patients in Victoria?

ET5tdLgU4AEBaaS

Because, also like he said, these things take time to prepare.

I mean all indications point to yes, if you want to contain this thing, shut it down immediately.

Right now you're asking businesses to bleed over a longer period instead of a quick stop to hopefully a quicker recovery.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently I'm the only one that think scomo is doing a pretty ok job at this. Not once have I been confused as to what is being asked of me during these times.

Lol. If you can't see the difference between how Morrison is handling this vs Trump...

Scott Morrison hasn't been as bad as many have been claiming.

He shut down the borders fairly quickly (moved too slow on the USA and Italy though). And he was relatively quick to start treating the whole thing as a global pandemic.

I'm not sure it was all for altruistic reasons though. He was trying to look competent after the bush fires. But I guess his reasoning doesn't really matter.

That said, I don't necessarily agree with his continued desire for a national approach rather than a state-based approach.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Why do ScoMos defenders keep parroting this erroneous notion that everything would need to be in full lock down for six months and no less?

I haven't seen one of these people logically explain why we couldn't be in full shutdown for 6-8 weeks. You know, a little longer past the incubation period of the virus. It's always this bullshit of 'we can't do anything properly now, because then everything will have to be completely shut down for six full months' with zero reason why it would ever have to be that long in shutdown.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
What's with the discrepancy of recovered patients in Victoria?

ET5tdLgU4AEBaaS

I mean all indications point to yes, if you want to contain this thing, shut it down immediately.

Right now you're asking businesses to bleed over a longer period instead of a quick stop to hopefully a quicker recovery.

We're not going to stop it. There's no reasonable course of action that results in this dropping to 0. We can't close hospitals and we can't close supermarkets. We're hoping to flatten the curve and that just means limiting transmission. The "quick stop" is still 6 months. There's no getting out of this with a Trump "15 days"..

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
We're not going to stop it. There's no reasonable course of action that results in this dropping to 0. We can't close hospitals and we can't close supermarkets. We're hoping to flatten the curve and that just means limiting transmission. The "quick stop" is still 6 months. There's no getting out of this with a Trump "15 days"..

... Who's asking to close supermarkets or hospitals?

Like is athlete's foot an essential service?

Would anyone even be shopping at athlete's foot now? The employees being out there is just going to increase the people going out there to get potentially infected.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017

That's not necessarily true.

China (if you believe them) eradicated it and NZ is trying to do the same.

Australia is actually one of the better candidates to try and eradicate it entirely, but we may have already missed the opportunity or will miss it in a few days.

You'd have to shut everything apart from critical businesses for like 4 weeks to eradicate it. if successful, Australia would then essentially function as normal (albeit no one from overseas will be able to enter until there is a vaccine).

Edit: I think that some of the Australian states are in favour of the eradication model - I kinda get the feeling that's what Tasmania is trying to do. I think if given the option Victoria would do the same based on the vibe of the Victorian Premier's comments to the press.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
just had our work update. Construction somehow classed as an essential service so we're staying open. I'd understand some core teams staying open as we do have operations & maintenance work but how is continued work at this time of a road upgrade essential lmao.

It all does come back to trying to ease the economy, what a load of wank. Putting money before lives. The faster the gov decides to get off it's ass and announce proper shutdowns the better. What could have blown over in one month has been extended to three and no doubt will be extended to 6+.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
reading about the ruby princess, what a disaster

Unbelievable that so many people were getting on cruise ships just in the last few weeks but the fact they were allowed to disembark in central Sydney with people showing symptoms is disgraceful. The incompetence just pisses me off, heads should roll

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
NSW health and border force are now playing the blame game.

Fucking buckle and act like professionals, on both counts.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
NSW health did not go aboard the cruise ship before giving it the green light. We heard from passengers on the ship that people had flu like symptoms on ABC News few days ago.

I guess this should be a stark warning don't let cruise ships disembark without proper steps taken to secure the safety of Australian's.

Unfathomable fuck up.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting to see that Victoria is fighting for stronger measures than what we had last night. Hopefully it comes stateside soon.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
I know this is the Aus Covid-19 thread, but I find the following behaviour in NZ is sad.

twitter.com

Newshub on Twitter

“Queues outside gun shops as Kiwis panic-buy firearms before lockdown https://t.co/e06QsQxm1J”

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Ruby Princess accounts for 10% of cases in NSW now and counting.

Why why why was it allowed to disembark is gonna be the million dollar question.

Holy fuck.

diverit

Oct 27, 2017
The people responsible for that should go to jail. Self interest should not override community interest when it comes to fucking pandemics.

Oct 29, 2017
My work is revoking remote access for employees who used to have it. Apparently there is only limited amounts available. We are fucked

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
How is there such a thing as limited access to remote working?\

I bet if push comes to shove magically they would be able to find a way to accomadate everyone.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Throw everyone who allowed the Ruby Princess to let people leave under the prison.