• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gotten vaccinated yet?

• Had my first dose!

Votes: 33 23.6%
  • Had my second dose and fully vaccinated!

Votes: 86 61.4%
  • Nope!

Votes: 21 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Queensland went with the weakest-ass school closure possible. Annastasia even used Scotty's "every worker is essential" line.

Like a few thousand face masks isn't even 0.00000000000000000000000000001% of what caused the situation to spiral to this point.

I supposed those hairdressers could use those mask now that they can do 30mins+ jobs.
I heard they waved the 30 min requirement, on the basis of it being rather silly.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like a few thousand face masks isn't even 0.00000000000000000000000000001% of what caused the situation to spiral to this point.

I supposed those hairdressers could use those mask now that they can do 30mins+ jobs.

700,000 hazmat suits across the world for example, you're oversimplifying for your own point. There's a difference between governments sending wilful help to another first incident country and China back channel repurposing a China government backed real estate developer world wide to buy up supplies from various countries e.g. Canada, Australia, Turkey etc. they knew what they were doing, just like underreporting of cases etc.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
700,000 hazmat suits across the world for example, you're oversimplifying for your own point. There's a difference between governments sending wilful help to another first incident country and China back channel repurposing a China government backed real estate developer world wide to buy up supplies from various countries e.g. Canada, Australia, Turkey etc. they knew what they were doing, just like underreporting of cases etc.

Because they had a crisis then and those other countries did not.

Honestly silly playing the blame game especially in hindsight when really, you can also say that australia could also very well have avoided the situation of needing those masks in the first place through competent federal leadership.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Like see the blame game about the Ruby Princess and this and tell me the federal agencies are doing their best to prevent the spread.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
190 additional cases in sydney now, with 2 of them being children aged 1 and 2 years old. Now 12,19 cases in the state.

VIctoria has their 3rd death.

I'd be surprised if both states remain in this half assed isolation measures by the end of today, much less this week.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
190 additional cases in sydney now, with 2 of them being children aged 1 and 2 years old. Now 12,19 cases in the state.

VIctoria has their 3rd death.

I'd be surprised if both states remain in this half assed isolation measures by the end of today, much less this week.
Andrews confirmed for a Stage 3 part but don't know when he's gonna announce it, probably tomorrow.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
It's only half a joke. Those ships sailed when things were bad enough that your parents should've known better.

Plus the disproportionate measures where the government banned all foreign arrivals from China when infection rates were <0.005% of the population at its peak versus say the Ruby Princess where they let everybody off and already >5% of the passengers have tested positive is truly a farce.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
The whole cruise debacle is so illustrative.

Tiny amount of poor brown people fleeing war torn countries - send the SAS!

Hundreds of rich white people on a literal plague ship - hey go wander around the CBD!

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Different possibilities being thrown around work to help prevent staff in my department being sacked. Including a 1 week on and 1 week off schedule. I'd be able to survive on that for a little while (assuming I cull a vast majority of personal spending) plus I guess it's better than working the same roster but getting less money.

Still sucks though.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Different possibilities being thrown around work to help prevent staff in my department being sacked. Including a 1 week on and 1 week off schedule. I'd be able to survive on that for a little while (assuming I cull a vast majority of personal spending) plus I guess it's better than working the same roster but getting less money.

Still sucks though.
If it impacts you, I think you can apply for Jobseekers next month. I'll look more into it.

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
Oh man just found out my mum got kicked out of her place by her landlord. She works in the local hospital labs and rents a room from a family and they were worried she'd catch the coronavirus, they even had the gall to ask her to come back when this all blows over. She wanted to leave eventually and she works part time and spends a week each fortnight down the coast (2hrs away) with us but this sucks...

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man just found out my mum got kicked out of her place by her landlord. She works in the local hospital labs and rents a room from a family and they were worried she'd catch the coronavirus, they even had the gall to ask her to come back when this all blows over. She wanted to leave eventually and she works part time and spends a week each fortnight down the coast (2hrs away) with us but this sucks...
What state or territory is she in?

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
5 new cases in Tasmania

Three of the cases are from Northern Tasmania, two are from the North-West.

One of the cases is aged in their 70s. Two are aged in their 30s, and two are children.
All of the cases were passengers aboard the Ovation of the Seas, which docked in Sydney on 18 March.

partyhat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I can't find a source for this.

Edit: also don't the eastern states go on holidays next week anyway?

Sorry should have clarified it was Queensland Government only. State schools still have one more week of school left. Education minister announced it this morning. Pupil free days for next weekbut essential workers can still send kids if required.

Source was me. There was no verifiable news source at the time.

Last edited:

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
It's only half a joke. Those ships sailed when things were bad enough that your parents should've known better.

Plus the disproportionate measures where the government banned all foreign arrivals from China when infection rates were <0.005% of the population at its peak versus say the Ruby Princess where they let everybody off and already >5% of the passengers have tested positive is truly a farce.

Apparently Rottnest is going to be used as a quarantine space for people disembarking from cruises in WA. It sounds far better than the sweaty hot box I'm spending my two weeks of isolation in.

Also today I called the hotline because I have a few symptoms, sore throat and a bit of a temperature mainly, and they told me to not to bother getting checked until I start having shortness of breath.

I'm isolating anyway, so right now that seems fine, especially as going to a place with other potential cases seems dumb but let's say I do have it, once my isolation period is up I'm not going to know if I'm contagious, if I'm still shedding, or if I'm clear.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
1.5 Million people in my state in QLD still to vote tomorrow at the election in person.....
Did any other country do something so stupid?

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Tasmania's Premier reiterated this morning that after the term break, schools will remain open for essential workers, and the advice is if you can keep your kids at home, do so

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
Wife been stood down for minimum 2 months. Fingers crossed my income survives as long as possible or we are screwed.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Second Chinese developer found to have done the same thing

90 tonnes of medical supplies was sent to China and now Australia has a shortage

Countries and people are way too relaxed about China, complacency and ignorance are the words I would use to describe the power/land/ownership run China is and has been on for a long time now.

Speculation: there are more than just these two found thus far.

I'll just quote myself here again, this was relevant the first time I posted it -

There's a difference between governments sending wilful help to another first incident country and China back channel repurposing a China government backed real estate developer world wide to buy up supplies from various countries e.g. Canada, Australia, Turkey etc. they knew what they were doing, just like underreporting of cases etc.

There is also blame for our government's lack of duty to protect such required goods, of course there is, all the way back in JAN.

By late January medical experts
were worried about the lack of available masks. "The thing we need most as GPs is some masks," said Dr Harry Nespolon, president of the Royal Australian College of GPs. "They are not readily available."

Of course they're not looking out for stockpiles, hey we need massive military spending annually but basic medical stockpiles or a simple threshold of reserves are out of the question right? Muppets in power didn't learn anything from the old Anthrax scare days did they. Why not mobilise the reserves of military resources e.g. gas masks I'm sure they requisitioned in the last few years/decades to medical staff that need it right now.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
Can't believe the Chinese government would act in the interests of the Chinese people and Australian for-profit medical supplies distributors would act in the interest of their bottom-lines. I guess this is just a side of the world you don't see unless you're privy to secret Chinese communication platforms like *checks article* LinkedIn.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they're not looking out for stockpiles, hey we need massive military spending annually but basic medical stockpiles or a simple threshold of reserves are out of the question right? Muppets in power didn't learn anything from the old Anthrax scare days did they. Why not mobilise the reserves of military resources e.g. gas masks I'm sure they requisitioned in the last few years/decades to medical staff that need it right now.

Just to clarify on this last part, Australia -does- have a medical stockpile, we've been putting it together for over a decade. (Which is unlike most countries, who do not stockpile medical goods in case)

www.abc.net.au

Masks, antibiotics and hand sanitisers: Amid coronavirus, Australia's secret medical stockpile is now open

In secret locations across Australia, millions of dollars' worth of medical supplies — including masks, antibiotics and equipment such as basic hand sanitisers — are at the ready, wrapped up on huge pallets. They're about to be deployed.

And, we've had to dip into it on mask supplies thanks to bushfires already this year.

www.health.gov.au

Number of P2 masks provided for bushfires almost 3.5 million

A joint media release with Professor Paul Kelly, Acting Australian Government Chief Medical Officer, about the supply of P2 face masks and air quality.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just to clarify on this last part, Australia -does- have a medical stockpile, we've been putting it together for over a decade. (Which is unlike most countries, who do not stockpile medical goods in case)

www.abc.net.au

Masks, antibiotics and hand sanitisers: Amid coronavirus, Australia's secret medical stockpile is now open

In secret locations across Australia, millions of dollars' worth of medical supplies — including masks, antibiotics and equipment such as basic hand sanitisers — are at the ready, wrapped up on huge pallets. They're about to be deployed.

And, we've had to dip into it on mask supplies thanks to bushfires already this year.

www.health.gov.au

Number of P2 masks provided for bushfires almost 3.5 million

A joint media release with Professor Paul Kelly, Acting Australian Government Chief Medical Officer, about the supply of P2 face masks and air quality.

I'll happily eat crow whenever I'm wrong. Thank you for posting and I'm glad to hear there is some logical leadership going around.

EDIT: Let the China buy up continue as long as we're above our working threshold. I'd prefer China to be up front about what they're doing still, proper channels and all that.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
1.5 Million people in my state in QLD still to vote tomorrow at the election in person.....
Did any other country do something so stupid?

On ABC News they said Doctors now are also saying this is a disaster in the making. This is the most reckless, careless, bone headed move by any state government world wide.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like supermarkets will be limiting the number of people in their stores when lockdown hits. I'd recommend staying away for the next few days. They're expected to be absolutely fucked busy.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
On ABC News they said Doctors now are also saying this is a disaster in the making. This is the most reckless, careless, bone headed move by any state government world wide.
My partner was just pre-voting today and said there was at least 80 people out the door in the que all right near each other. Tomorrow is going to be a disaster for sure.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Scomo's due to speak any minute now

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
It's still summer in Australia, right? I heard about viruses not surviving in hotter temps, but I wager if you guys are dealing with it, then chances of the virus going away by summer is next to none.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
More wank about keeping shit open and quarantining arrivals.

IpDAgCi.gif

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems my area (Waverley) has the highest concentration in the country. I'm not surprised.

I just went outside for some air, looked across the road and saw people all queued up together for fucking yoghurt.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
Hello from New Zealand. We enjoying our lockdwon down here. Hope our brothers and sisters across the ditch can join us at our never ending Zoom meetings.