• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I don't think even a U.S. politician would be brazen enough to say something like that.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I don't think even a U.S. politician would be brazen enough to say that.
No one respected Anning in the first place, this is not his first one of these shit spews he's had. He was condemned by the House of Representatives last year for similar shit. He has no respect left to lose, he's independent so he has no party to answer to, the only thing this will do is win the respect (or more respect) of the very far right Nazi's. He obviously has no morals or empathy and little to lose so looking at it from the PoV it makes perfect sense, if he isn't taken to court for hate speech (he most likely won't and even if he did it's not a 100% conviction by any means) he can only get more following from the shitstains of the planet. Especially considering its election year and his chance of getting re-elected is so small as to be pretty much impossible.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
How surreal is it that after an Australian national shoot up a place in NZ, an Australian official come to justify the motive of the terrorist?

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
My wife just explained to me that this guy only received 19 votes. So apparently he's a piece of shit, but at least no one actually voted for him

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait... I... But... Muslims... What?!

tenor.gif

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Has this actually gotten in traction in Australia or are people basically brushing it off?
As in people agreeing with him? Not at all, it's been pretty much universally condemned. A lot of our major (and minor) politicians including the PM have called him out. All of the news stories about it have been universally negative as well. What you have to remember is that Anning is fringe, like super fringe. There are plenty of racists in Australia and the Australian government but Anning is a whole different animal.

No one likes him, he's done this sort of Nazi sympathising attention seeking shit before and was condemned by the House of Representatives for it. The only reason the guy is a Senator is because of a technicality as part of a political shitstorm that happened in 2016/17 that disqualified a lot of politicians from Senate. If you look through my posts here I talked about it earlier. But the takeaway is that the dude got 19 votes. 19 out of almost 100,000 for Fairfax. He's not going to gain anywhere near enough traction to come close to having any sort of political power ever again, especially because he's independent now and has burned bridges with most of the right-wing Australian parties.

Oct 25, 2017
What it highlights is the fact that Muslims and refugees have more to fear from white people than the reverse. Yes, I legitimately believe that the attackers could have been motivated by fear, but that's not a justification. Fear can make people do stupid, dangerous, and horrendous things.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just had to make sure today isn't some perverted version of April 1st...
The world we're living in get's darker by the day

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Has this actually gotten in traction in Australia or are people basically brushing it off?
I can only imagine how Aussie Muslims are reacting. Regardless how this piece of shit got into office, he's still representing the Australian government and his message is clearly "get out or it's open season".

I don't know how the government works there, but I hope there is a way for this disgusting piece of shit to be yanked from his position of power ASAP.

Oct 25, 2017
As in people agreeing with him? Not at all, it's been pretty much universally condemned. A lot of our major (and minor) politicians including the PM have called him out. All of the news stories about it have been universally negative as well. What you have to remember is that Anning is fringe, like super fringe. There are plenty of racists in Australia and the Australian government but Anning is a whole different animal.

No one likes him, he's done this sort of Nazi sympathising attention seeking shit before and was condemned by the House of Representatives for it. The only reason the guy is a Senator is because of a technicality as part of a political shitstorm that happened in 2016/17 that disqualified a lot of politicians from Senate. If you look through my posts here I talked about it earlier. But the takeaway is that the dude got 19 votes. 19 out of almost 100,000 for Fairfax. He's not going to gain anywhere near enough traction to come close to having any sort of political power ever again, especially because he's independent now and has burned bridges with most of the right-wing Australian parties.
I can only imagine how Aussie Muslims are reacting. Regardless how this piece of shit got into office, he's still representing the Australian government and his message is clearly "get out or it's open season".

I don't know how the government works there, but I hope there is a way for this disgusting piece of shit to be yanked from his position of power ASAP.

Yeah, is there no sort of recall election process or impeachment there? The guy is just safe until elections?

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia

Yeah, is there no sort of recall election process or impeachment there? The guy is just safe until elections?
Unfortunately not really. It's incredibly difficult to remove a Senator who has done nothing illegal (We do have Hate Speech Laws but it requires someone to actively pursue him in court or possibly with the AHRC.) due to not having an official "off the job" Code of Conduct (there is a CoC but only for in Parliament.). The best they can do as far as I know is try to force him to resign but he's independent which makes it difficult as there is no party pressure to force it. There will most likely be a motion for his resignation though.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Can an antipodean explain how this works? I mean I know Hanging Rock is lonely and Uluru is isolated... But 19 votes?

i have no idea. I read on reddit (maybe here, who knows) that the guy who placed above him was ruled ineligible or something, and so he got in. And apparently he was kicked out of his original party before even being sworn in for being too extreme, and now he's been kicked out of the far-right party for being too extreme

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Can an antipodean explain how this works? I mean I know Hanging Rock is lonely and Uluru is isolated... But 19 votes?
To get an idea of how our system works if you're truly curious I'll post these;

But specifically as to how he got so low a vote? Well simply because he's unpopular and more importantly obscure. He really wasn't even a candidate. He got in because the first pick for One Nation (the party he was running with at the time) was disqualified due to constitutional violations (basically he was considered to have dual-citizenship which disquals you).

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To get an idea of how our system works if you're truly curious I'll post these;

But specifically as to how he got so low a vote? Well simply because he's unpopular and more importantly obscure. He really wasn't even a candidate. He got in because the first pick for One Nation (the party he was running with at the time) was disqualified due to constitutional violations (basically he was considered to have dual-citizenship which disquals you).

Thanks for this. Looks like in some ways he was in a perfect storm. He was almost ineligible because he's also a bankrupt on top of being a nazi.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i have no idea. I read on reddit (maybe here, who knows) that the guy who placed above him was ruled ineligible or something, and so he got in. And apparently he was kicked out of his original party before even being sworn in for being too extreme, and now he's been kicked out of the far-right party for being too extreme
Well, he was kicked out of his original party because Pauline Hanson is a paranoid asshole who was angry that his predecessor's staff had moved over to working for him, which she interpreted as a betrayal. Honestly, Anning isn't too extreme for One Nation, especially not Hanson, it's just that she's been increasingly more inclined to alienate her supporters and allies as of late, if partially due to James Ashby's shenanigans as her chief of staff.

Oct 28, 2017

It's somewhat complicated and due to a series of less-than-fortuitous events. The Senatorial electoral system was overhauled significantly in 2016 precisely to avoid the issue of fringe candidates getting into the Senate off the back of complicated party-preference deals (which is why we were stuck with Christian-right Family First candidates in parliament for years). Optional Preferential Voting was introduced instead - which required voters to either preference their party of choice 'above the line' or preference their candidate(s) of choice 'below the line'.

During the 2016 election, 12 senate seats were up for grabs in Queensland - as opposed to the more usual 6. In case you don't know, Queensland (and specifically Northern Queensland) is essentially Australia's Florida and frequently produces the worst of the right-wing candidates due to a variety of socio-economic reasons. As a result, the 'One Nation Party', a right-wing anti-immigration nationalist party, tends to accrue most of its votes in that state and the leader of the party, Pauline Hanson, has a large amount of 'star power', if you will.

During that specific election, Hanson herself received 20,000 votes and One Nation picked up 250,000 votes as a whole - which ensured One Nation a second Senate seat. As a result, the second most 'popular' One Nation candidate, Malcolm Roberts managed to pick up a seat off the back of just 77 votes. Anning was third at 19 votes.

Then, in 2017, the Australian parliament virtually imploded as a number of politicians turned out to be ineligible to sit in parliament as a result of their status as dual citizens. There's no reason to go into this other than to highlight that it was a ludicrous mess (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Australian_parliamentary_eligibility_crisis). Malcolm Roberts turned out to be a British citizen, was thus rendered ineligible and was booted from Parliament. Anning, as the third candidate, picked up the slack and was sworn in late in 2017.

Thereafter, Anning made a dick of himself to such a degree that he was booted from one of the most notoriously racist parties in the country, joined another party of similar persuasion, was booted a second time and now sits as an independent.

tl;dr It's complicated. Despite some efforts to curb this sort of thing, Australia's electoral system does have the capacity to allow fringe nutjobs into power on occasion. That's really just the downside of preferential voting. The upside, of course, is that the system allows for a much wider variety of candidates/parties - Greens, independents etc, to gain power, contrary to the US two-party system.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia

Yep saw this, on one-hand two wrongs don't make a right/an eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind, so on and so forth so I don't really want to celebrate the act. On the other hand, fuck Anning to the depths of hell. I may not be able to condone it outright but I can buy the kid a few beers when he comes of age because I can almost guarantee when I was a teen I would have done the same damn thing to the cunt given the chance.

Also an update on the kid.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Getting an egg on the head is about as serious as spilling coffee on your shirt, so I say good on the kid. Asshole threw a punch at the kid, though. Hope his shitty ass resigns and gets assault and battery charges.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That sounds great until you remember that the Liberal (conservative party) in power was happy to shake his hand and accept his vote.

It is one thing to condemn him, it is another thing entirely to do something about it.

Overall, I was incredibly angry about this and still am.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
That sounds great until you remember that the Liberal (conservative party) in power was happy to shake his hand and accept his vote.

It is one thing to condemn him, it is another thing entirely to do something about it.

Overall, I was incredibly angry about this and still am.
Oh for sure, I wasn't defending ScoMo or the Liberal Party at all. ScoMo especially; https://www.smh.com.au/national/morrison-sees-votes-in-anti-muslim-strategy-20110216-1awmo.html
I'm almost certain the PM won't personally do something about this and that pisses me off but I've also never expected anything better of the vast majority of the Liberal Party mp's.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The kid did probably the most harmless thing you could to get one's point across physically and to make fun of him. Anning hit him twice and his mates tried to choke the fuck out of the kid while insulting him profusely and violently pinning him down, nevermind forcibly removing a journalist from the rally for telling them to chill the fuck out. I fucking hope Anning and his mates get sued, because that response was disproportionate.

Nov 14, 2017
What a strong showing by these pyschopaths in response to getting pranked by a child. I don't like wasting food, but the cunt should be egged whenever he shows his face. As should his office and anything he puts up come election time, if he's still around by then.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll copy and paste what I wrote on the other thread:

"To give some people outside of Australia context, Senator Fraser Anning is only senator because he was elected after a recount after the removal of another senator. He then left The One Nation party (a racist party) to be in the Katter party (a racist party) only to be expelled due to being too racist even for them. Now he's an independent and will most definitely won't be elected in 2 months time. He's a massive troll and says awful shit for the publicity. He's only in there because of 19 votes. 19! "

He knows exactly what he's doing. He wanted to be the centre of attention. Also - he's attending a rally with Blair Cottrell (who is a straight up nazi) tomorrow. I assure you he will make the news again with another vile statement.
He's going to go to another neo-nazi rally!? He's not even trying to hide it now.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully the politician will get pelted with eggs on every public appearance from now on. And if protestors can't get close enough, hold a sign with a pic of an egg.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I'm quietly hoping the entire egg situation was all a ploy to goad Anning into punching a minor so that he could be sued into obscurity.

Yep. We can all hope.

Good. Though if this guy is anything like scumbags here, he'll probably say he doesn't want charges brought against the kid and will pander to his base by saying he was manipulated by the media and bought into liberal hysteria.

Yeah, no doubt he will have his own spin on things. Or play victim.

Gamonbozia

Feb 25, 2019
Fuck Frasier Anning. What a disgusting human piece of shit. If there were any justice in the world he would be locked in a prison cell for what he said. Makes me sick...