• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that their political system allows for transference of and then holding on to political power by an actual white supremacist and a neo nazi, bereft of any consequence truly highlights what blight upon rational discourse it is.

Great job Australians.
The system is fine; the cause is racist fuckwits voting for the One Nation party which is full of this type of politician.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
How is he even in a position to get elected
Because what he is saying appeals to a lot of people in Australia.

And if we are honest, it also appeals to a lot of people in America. In America they usually try to disguise their bigotry, but as we have seen with Trump and others even here its s getting a lot more out in the open.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Guy should be sacked. It's this language that causes these atrocities, not "muslims existing in my country".

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
This, to me, is equivalent to a politician trying to justify an ISIS atrocity. It's unacceptable and should possibly be investigated as support for terrorism.

I actually love Australia as a country, just came back from Sydney and found that people were really kind and polite. But I also know that Australia has a sinister underbelly where people like this racist senator and the terrorists from today reside. I think it's a serious problem that Australians need to start tackling head on.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Holy freaking crap he completely misunderstood the entire point of that scripture for haven's sake. If any politician ever uses a verse from any holy book he will use it without knowing a single reason for what it means and will only get the face value.

He needs to be removed ASAP. Monster. Already trying to blame it on the Muslims.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
"Violent vigilantism"? Are you fucking kidding me?

In no fucking reality is what happened in NZ "justice".

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I actually love Australia as a country, just came back from Sydney and found that people were really kind and polite. But I also know that Australia has a sinister underbelly where people like this racist senator and the terrorists from today reside. I think it's a serious problem that Australians need to start tackling head on.

I was speaking to a friend who went to college and then worked there for some time. One of things he said was that issues of racism are just never discussed in most pockets of society there. Kind of like a "yeah, let's not go there and make everyone uncomfortable" thing.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It's sad how open Islamaphobia is still tolerated if not encouraged by the west. Imagine if he had said this about Jews?
He wouldn't because Jewish people are pretty much non-existent in Australia.

Thankfully his comments have been getting a bucket load of coverage and condemnation, hopefully that results in him being voted out next election.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The hottest of takes. Politicians cheering on and justifying these attacks is no different that what we accuse various terrorist-coddling countries of doing. Dehumanizing victims and hand-waving extremism doesn't end well for anyone, but fascists depend on dehumanizing others and playing off extreme right-wing meme culture as anti-PC yuks, for their rhetoric to hold.

You'd hope that the Australian government will have strong words or censuring motions towards this kind of irresponsible and hateful garbage.

And you'd really, really hope that no US politicians go so far as to say that all Muslims deserve it, even if you know they're thinking it.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Monsterous piece of crap! Just how was this fucking fool elected in office?! No shame whatsoever.
Thrillhou nailed it so I'll just quote them. But basically, it's an incredibly unlikely quirk of the system that came about due to a political shitstorm that happened that year involving dual citizenships and countries of birth etc.
I'll copy and paste what I wrote on the other thread:

"To give some people outside of Australia context, Senator Fraser Anning is only senator because he was elected after a recount after the removal of another senator. He then left The One Nation party (a racist party) to be in the Katter party (a racist party) only to be expelled due to being too racist even for them. Now he's an independent and will most definitely won't be elected in 2 months time. He's a massive troll and says awful shit for the publicity. He's only in there because of 19 votes. 19! "

He knows exactly what he's doing. He wanted to be the centre of attention. Also - he's attending a rally with Blair Cottrell (who is a straight up nazi) tomorrow. I assure you he will make the news again with another vile statement.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How does he still even have a job? Reprehensible.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
This may be one of the worst responses from a tragedy I've seen.

As I said in the other topic, he'll probably come back and try to spin it as being out of context (just how?!), but the spin artist he hires should just slap him instead.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
How does he still even have a job? Reprehensible.
Because removing a Senator due to out of Chamber/Parliament behaviour is difficult due to there being no actual official Code of Conduct for Senators when not in parliament. If someone takes him to court for hate speech and wins then he would definitely be removed but other than that I don't see it happening in the short time he has left in parliament.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I'm pretty sure NZ has never had a problem with "Muslim fanatics".

This is a particularly galling statement given that the terrorist was a white Australian man.

Jan 31, 2018
If it takes another election to oust someone like that, then all it really shows is how pathetic a country like Australia is. Something like this would never be tolerated in a civilized place.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto

I can't help but notice a number of people in the responses saying the reported the tweet (and other Anning tweets) for hate speech................................ hours ago and nothing has happened to any of it.

Like for fuck's sake Twitter what is even the point of the report feature if there's no action on such public, blatant displays of hate speech? But of fucking course Twitter knows that, knows that this vile trash is getting a lot of attention, and that's just fucking good business for them.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Same way Trump and others like him get elected. They say what a large part of the population wants to hear. They stoke division and assure people who look like them that he'll represent their "needs".
I don't disagree in general but in this case, it was due to an unfortunate quirk in our election. The guy only got 19 below-the-line first-preference votes. 19. There is certainly racism in the far right side of the Australian government (go take a look at Katter and One Nation, as well as the right-leaning Liberal Part members) but I've not seen anything on this scale of open bigotry before.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
"What it highlights is the growing fear within our community of the increasing Muslim presence"

I'm sure there's a post I've made before about prejudice where I pointed out that "I feel A because of B, therefore B is A Bad Thing" seems to be a very common justification and sentiment for bigoted views. Seeing it explicitly laid out here underlines that: THE PROBLEM IS THE GROWING FEAR. AND YOU'RE EXACERBATING IT. STOP DOING THAT.

Edit: Found it. From a trans bathroom thread in the old place:

I think it fundamentally boils down to the difference between two philosophies:

"X makes me uncomfortable. That's a problem with me"
"X makes me uncomfortable. That's a problem with X"

There's people out there who fundamentally seem to be unable to contemplate the former possibility.

Last edited:

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I wish there was a way that Earth could fucking eject us from this planet into the sun. We're fucking cancer on this planet.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
It's sad how open Islamaphobia is still tolerated if not encouraged by the west. Imagine if he had said this about Jews?
If it makes you feel any better he's being called out by a lot of current and former Australian politicians as well as universally condemned by the media. Hell, even our arse of a PM deservedly called him out, whether he will do anything or not is yet to be seen.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it makes you feel any better he's being called out by a lot of current and former Australian politicians as well as universally condemned by the media. Hell, even our arse of a PM deservedly called him out, whether he will do anything or not is yet to be seen.

Encouraging. Still in shock a major politician in the west blamed the victims of a terrorist attack for inviting thier own deaths. Surely this man needs to be punished somehow.

SleeperBWG

Dec 18, 2018
Violence is never the answer, but if anyone ever needed to get one good ass punch in the face its this fucker.

Not only is it racist, its opportunist. Homie put out a press release. What a stain of a being
Yeah, and because he put it out so fast you can almost be sure he had that on file waiting for something to happen. What a terrible human being

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Encouraging. Still in shock a major politician in the west blamed the victims of a terrorist attack for inviting thier own deaths. Surely this man needs to be punished somehow.
We'll see.

Realistically though not much can be legally done other than an official condemnation unless Anning is charged with a crime. His tweet could (most likely do) fall under hate speech laws but someone actually has to take him to court for it to matter.

Edit: I do also want to note that it's election time and he won't be in the position for much longer either way, for whatever that's worth.
Also if anyone is curious about the events that lead to him getting the seat here you go, this was the event. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Australian_parliamentary_eligibility_crisis
Specifically to Anning;
Malcolm Roberts was born in India of an Australian mother and a British father. Roberts is an Australian citizen, and on 8 August 2017 documents were revealed by BuzzFeed indicating that Roberts was a British citizen at the age of 19.[55] Roberts released a statutory declaration stating that he was only a citizen of Australia.[136] A spokesperson for Roberts stated that Roberts was "choosing to believe that he was never British".[137] Doubts persisted about the status of Roberts' Indian citizenship after it was argued in the media that under a precedent set by the Supreme Court of India, he continued to be a 'presumed citizen' of the country.[138][139]

On 9 August the Senate, with all-party support, referred Roberts' position to the High Court as Court of Disputed Returns.[56][140] The reference was moved by Roberts's party leader Pauline Hanson, with his support. He did not respond to a question in the Senate whether he would be voting before the Court's decision.

Justice Patrick Keane conducted a hearing to determine factual issues on 21 September. Roberts and his sister Barbara were cross examined as well as two expert witnesses on British citizenship.[141] The following day, Keane handed down his findings on that evidence, finding that at the date of his nomination for the Senate (1) Roberts was a British citizen, (2) he knew that there was at least a real and substantial prospect that he was a British citizen and (3) Roberts could have, but didn't, take steps to renounce his British citizenship.[142][143]

Roberts's seat was filled by a countback, which led to his replacement by the third candidate on the Queensland One Nation ticket, Fraser Anning.[125] Despite concerns that Anning would also be ineligible due to bankruptcy, in a similar case to One Nation's Rod Culleton,[144] the bankruptcy petition against him had been withdrawn by 3 October.[145] After he was sworn in, Anning resigned or was expelled from One Nation and opted to sit as an independent.[146][147]

After learning of his disqualification on 27 October, Roberts announced that he would run for the electoral district of Ipswich in the Queensland state election in November.[148] He was not elected.

Last edited:

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
The president has done the same in a less direct manner.

This is the new world where bigotry is encouraged as political point scoring. Lets be clear though, Fraser Anning is not a major politician, he is a fringe lunatic that basically got elected due to a preferential voting system when another candidate was found to be ineligible. He didn't even receive the 2nd most votes in his party, he was 3rd. He had only 19 votes.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Islam is not compatible with Australia and our politics."

Umm, neither is Christianity. In fact Jesus says to not get involved with politics or the things of the world, since paradise and/or Armageddon is coming at any moment, like "a thief in the night." And yet, even though the Bible comtains terrible things just like the Quaran and most other religious texts, people seem to tolerant them quite well. Social media has been poisoned so badly.

At any rate, we all know this is about racism and prejudice; convincing large amounts of dumb people to legitimately fear Muslims. At least in the US, there could be progress in two years. But the damage that's happened that last number of years will take far to long to fix. Fuck, I hope things get less stupid and less hateful. How can our population stomach so much hate, death and prejudice and for so long?

Sorry for the rant. I'm just so fucking sad for the families of those who lost loved ones. They were peaceful people. Not fucking radical religious nuts that want sharia law...

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Saying what I'd actually like to about this trash would get me banned, so I'll just say he can go fuck himself.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just trying to follow the logic here.

If I go out and punch a baby, this guy would post a Tweet about the scourge of babies with punchable faces? And I'm including the fact that babies biologically have the least punchable faces.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Straight-up unfiltered politicizing of a mass murder.

This is the future conservatives dream of - Scaring Muslims against their own faith after a White Supremacist Christian Crusader shoots up a Mosque.

Victim-blaming at a depth you'd never even think of.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell, of course Anning would decide to be a complete fucking racist asshole yet again. I apologize on behalf of us Aussies, especially since we didn't actually elect this fucker, he only got in because of a relatively recent shitstorm that caused several members of parliament to become ineligible due to people not doing due-diligence on their dual-citizenship status. And even then he got kicked out of the two racist parties (though he got removed from One Nation because Pauline Hanson is also a massive fucking asshole who thought Anning's staffers were betraying the ineligible senator Anning was replacing).

At least everyone else who isn't a complete fuckhead is calling him out on his racist bullshit.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quoting the bible? So... religious type, huh?

That's good, I'm glad he believes in Hell, because that's where he's heading.