• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1) is trump the leader of the republican party? by fact that he is the highest ranking member of the party
2) when have the republican party held him responsible for anything he's said or done? If they wanted to they could do anything they want including impeachment, yet time and time again they've chosen to give half hearted "he shouldnt have done that" and "he's new at this" bullshit responses.

1) As I said above, he's the defacto leader. I'm sure many members of the GOP would rather have someone else.

2) Why would they hold him responsible other than shaking their finger and public admonishments? He is passing bills they want passed.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Twitter and these thing go on over time, so we will get plenty of single takes.

Wait for a magazine article about this in a month time if you want a full picture or nothing at all,

Strawman. A bigger picture can be formed in far less than a month. For example, compiling multiple tweets from outspoken Republicans, politicians, or conservative media figures saying thing would be interesting.

A single hot take tweet by an idiot online is worthless and lazy. It doesn't add anything to the discussion and is just a drive by post to flare outrage.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Someone who does listen attempted this. I don't know how that could be any clearer today. If this is a thread about this news, that is as much a part of it as what Trump has to say, because it laid the foundation for this to happen

Sure, I guess. Still don't see how it's productive. We already know how these wastes think. Spreading their crap here just serves to demoralize and upset people, imo. I can see where you're coming from, though.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Cuomo (the cnn employee, not the governor) stumping hard that its not terrorism till they figure out the motive. I mean its pretty fucking obvious sending bombs to only democrats and people critical of trump that its fucking terrorism.
It's domestic terrorism made to destabilize our nation before the elections. I know there was just a thread on what I'm about to say but lock this person up and throw away the key.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody shocked by Owens tweet need to understand that concessions only exist because it's considered morally right, when you concede or defend an action most people will see you as either weak or in the wrong. Its why conservatives only attack, when this bomber is exposed as a right wing terrorist she won't apologise or concede, she will state that it was Democrat divisiveness that caused it.

When you attack you still convince the people who want to believe you, when you defend you look bad to everyone.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
You seem to mistaking something here.

Socially liberal and fiscally conservative is basically a contradiction here, because it requires government intervention to do social policies justice and people can't do that while at the same time butchering the government's role and funding.

Because of the obvious contradiction, they are really a huge part of the problem disguised as being understandable, because is it used as a mask to make others think they are someone that can be negotiated with.

Being socially liberal doesn't automatically mean you're into projects that support those in need.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They don't separate themselves though when they vote with their party the majority of the time, and their party is doing reprehensible things.

It's not just because of that, combine that with racist policies, anti-lgbt legislation, voter suppression, gerrymandering, conspiracy theories, violent rhetoric, classist policies, taking away people's healthcare, anti-immigrant policies, not wanting sensible gun legislation, etc.

Does that paint a clearer picture?

It doesn't matter what Trump wants, if he doesn't get what he wants he's not afraid to just lie and make shit up, we can't be worried about our every move and how it could possibly be viewed. The people who support him are cancelled, they are already gone and we can't convince them anyways and it isn't worth the effort to try.

None of what you've said clearly defines the GOP as a terrorist organization. Actually believe that they are is just extremist politics.

Trump and his the small base that make up his rabid supporters may represent an extremist organization within the GOP, but to say that the entire party joins them is indeed hyperbolic.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their entire platform is built on nationalism and reaganomics. Trump's rhetoric is built on hate and victimization. Members of the GOP can isolate themselves from his rhetoric while still being fully willing to support the party platform.

The GOP as a party is one of specific policy ideals, not the violent rhetoric that Trump spouts. To say "the GOP needs to be a terrorist organization" simply because someone has sent a bunch of bombs to prominent members of their opposition makes the definition of terrorist organization far too broad.

The thing is, I realize the poster was just being rhetorical, but that kind of extreme rhetoric is exactly what Trump wants so y'all do you I guess.

Come on man, the nationalism and reaganomics bit is hate since that had a lot to do with negative identity politics.

Being socially liberal doesn't automatically mean you're into projects that support those in need.

If a person is "socially liberal" and aren't into projects to help those in need, then they aren't socially liberal. We are talking about U.S here by the way.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It has already happened?

Journalists have already been killed in the US.

Multiple people already have unfortunately.

Sooner or later? How about earlier? Remember Heather Heyer?
There was still a level of plausible deniability there. It's getting pretty obvious so they won't be able to wiggle out of it. This is war and until now only one side really realizes it. There will be no civility, no coming together, no reaching out, no unity until these people are properly dealt with.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Strawman. A bigger picture can be formed in far less than a month. For example, compiling multiple tweets from outspoken Republicans, politicians, or conservative media figures saying thing would be interesting.

A single hot take tweet by an idiot online is worthless and lazy. It doesn't add anything to the discussion and is just a drive by post to flare outrage.

"Strawman"? i am jsut saying your impatience may mean you would be more satisfied at reading monthly, researched content instead of live content like twitter or Resetera, where people are used to the drip feed.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else scared of election day violence targeted at polling places? Things are getting intense and Trump is preaching that a Democrat victory will be apocalyptic.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else scared of election day violence targeted at polling places? Things are getting intense and Trump is preaching that a Democrat victory will be apocalyptic.

I'm not personally, but I'm a 6'4" white dude whose polling place is in an affluent white neighborhood.

I am concerned that somewhere out in America there may be some idiots who take matters into their own hands however.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
She's playing her part. There must be good money in being a right wing douche pundit.

I'm pretty convinced she's a grifter at this point. Not that that absolves her of any of her crap; if anything, it makes it worse.

Bingo. Capitalize on an opportunity. It's sociopathic, as if we didn't know that about her already.

Joe Biden sounds like "Please work together with the people who want to murder you!"

Or "try to unite enough people that show a shred of human decency". Or "this is an opportunity for those of you that support these kinds of people to wake up and start making better decisions."

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
1) As I said above, he's the defacto leader. I'm sure many members of the GOP would rather have someone else.

2) Why would they hold him responsible other than shaking their finger and public admonishments? He is passing bills they want passed.
exactly my point, they're just fine with the rhetoric. You hear the same shit from limbaugh and conspiracy theories from hannity. They literally do not care.

Oct 25, 2017
How about taking an actual stance instead of saying we have to come together?

If one side is insane and delusional then the point of compromise is based partially on insanity and delusion

That's not going to happen and you know it.

Everyone in political office from Bernie to Mitch will say the exact same thing. You guys should know that by now. The BEST you'll get is a condemnation of Trumps rhetoric. But you will not get a statement condemning a large portion of the electorate.

Hillary tried that and she was fucking blasted for it.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
exactly my point, they're just fine with the rhetoric. You hear the same shit from limbaugh and conspiracy theories from hannity. They literally do not care.

They at least pretend to care, most of them anyway.

Either way, that does not make them a terrorist organization. Which is why I called the post hyperbolic.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty convinced she's a grifter at this point. Not that that absolves her of any of her crap; if anything, it makes it worse.

They're all grifters. They all spout the same talking points, not an original thought among them.
They wake up every day, jack into the MAGA Matrix and they have their hot takes based on what's happening. All they need to do is tweak it a bit, trigger some libs and your job is done.
They'd be nobody's otherwise. This way they can feed their narcissistic ego from the (negative) attention.
It's what every YouTube commenter aspires to be when they grow up.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I find this more infuriating than the bombs. I'm willing to concede that a person trying to kill politicians and journalists is unhinged and does not represent the right as a whole.

But blaming Democrats for literally everything, making everything into a leftist conspiracy theory, constructing an imaginary reality where Democrats are evil incarnate - these are the tools that create unhinged bombers, and they do represent the mindset of the GOP media machine, and its base.

This isn't Trump's fault at its root. Both Trump and this bomber are products of right wing media hate and fear propaganda.

The ideology of the far right forbids compassion for outlier groups. In the event that something bad happens to a person outside of their group, a) you deserved it based on your life choices, b) you're making too big a deal out of it you baby, c) you're making it up for attention or SJW points. People who acknowledge victims are virtue signaling or bleeding hearts or encouraging a "culture of victimhood". Sympathy is for the weak; empathy is philosophical wankery.

The worldview depends on being able to shut off emotional response to the suffering of others, and at opportune times, to even revel in it as a group.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're all grifters. They all spout the same talking points, not an original thought among them.
They wake up every day, jack into the MAGA Matrix and they have their hot takes based on what's happening. All they need to do is tweak it a bit, trigger some libs and your job is done.
They'd be nobody's otherwise. This way they can feed their narcissistic ego from the (negative) attention.
It's what every YouTube commenter aspires to be when they grow up.

I mean, we literally already know how this happens. The talking points are spun up and handed out to places like Fox News and social media influencers and it goes from there. That's why the GOP have always won on messaging.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
How did Candace Owens become so influential? Some relatively inexperienced right wing Kool-aid drinker is dominating the recent narrative in this thread. Why?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
None of what you've said clearly defines the GOP as a terrorist organization. Actually believe that they are is just extremist politics.

Trump and his the small base that make up his rabid supporters may represent an extremist organization within the GOP, but to say that the entire party joins them is indeed hyperbolic.
Jesus Christ

I want everyone to see this. This: racist policies, anti-lgbt legislation, voter suppression, gerrymandering, conspiracy theories, violent rhetoric, classist policies, taking away people's healthcare, anti-immigrant policies, not wanting sensible gun legislation, etc.

Is apparently just "extremist politics"

It doesn't matter that minorities are being shot indiscriminately in the streets, or children are in concentration camps, or LGBT people live in fear of having their rights taken away, or we're destroying the environment, or we're gutting the lower and middle classes. Nah, just "extremist politics".

Your GOP apologia is fucking gross dude.

How did Candace Owens become so influential? Some relatively inexperienced right wing Kool-aid drinker is dominating the recent narrative in this thread. Why?
By people giving her a platform

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we literally already know how this happens. The talking points are spun up and handed out to places like Fox News and social media influencers and it goes from there. That's why the GOP have always won on messaging.

Because liberals are too busy fighting each other and writing purity tests.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Who the targets are is part of the investigation. You can't ignore it.
I'm not ignoring it. But we still know nothing about the attacker or what their affiliation is. All we know is that democrats were targeted that tells us very little about the attacker and yet there are people in here claiming the GOP is a terrorist organization based on these bombs. You can't make absurd claims like that when all we know is that democrats have been targeted. That's not how it works.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Yes really. The GOP are politically very specific in both messaging and policy positions. Trump, while the defacto leader of the GOP, is very often very far from the formalized messaging of the actual party he represents. In fact, many members of the GOP are quick to decry his violent and even racist rhetoric.

Give me a fucking break. These spineless assholes talk a lot of talk about how "concerned" they are with Trump, but they otherwise do everything they can to protect him and further his political agenda. Trump faces no consequences for his actions because the rest of the GOP is too scared of his dipshit base to do or say anything meaningful in response to Trump.

I hope the GOP burns to the ground. There isn't a single redeeming quality about republican "leadership."

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't make them a terrorist organization though.

I wasn't supporting that guy's view of calling them a terrorist, just correcting the wording as you separated reagonomics and nationalism away from hate when trying to describe Trump.

GOP has always been a organization of hate, victimization, nationalism, and reaganomics.

I don't think GOP itself as an organization are terrorist, however, they are backed by terrorist and do despicable things legally and illegally to hold onto power. In ways, they are worse than terrorists because they actually accomplish their evil shit while still being seen as legitimate.

The #1 terrorism source in U.S has always been conservative extremism. People who are opening their eyes to that are understandably going to see the GOP in negative light because those extremist align themselves with Republicans.

In all honesty, you should stop trying to defend GOP here, its making you look bad because the organization has always been despicable and indefensible.

Oct 25, 2017

This has only strengthened my resolve to vote. But I do get the worry. When you have the NRA spokeswomen literally saying people should bring their guns to polling places to defend themselves against the left.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ

I want everyone to see this. This: racist policies, anti-lgbt legislation, voter suppression, gerrymandering, conspiracy theories, violent rhetoric, classist policies, taking away people's healthcare, anti-immigrant policies, not wanting sensible gun legislation, etc.

Is apparently just "extremist politics"

It doesn't matter that minorities are being shot indiscriminately in the streets, or children are in concentration camps, or LGBT people live in fear of having their rights taken away, or we're destroying the environment, or we're gutting the lower and middle classes. Nah, just "extremist politics".

Fucking gross dude.

Yes...?

I mean, you can paint it in your own hyperbolic language (minorities are not being indiscriminately shot in the streets), but yes the policy positions of the republican party do not make them a terrorist group.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There was still a level of plausible deniability there. It's getting pretty obvious so they won't be able to wiggle out of it. This is war and until now only one side really realizes it. There will be no civility, no coming together, no reaching out, no unity until these people are properly dealt with.

I wasn't talking about Charlottesville. Journalists were killed in Maryland.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes really. The GOP are politically very specific in both messaging and policy positions. Trump, while the defacto leader of the GOP, is very often very far from the formalized messaging of the actual party he represents. In fact, many members of the GOP are quick to decry his violent and even racist rhetoric.
And yet they quickly leverage him to get what they want. So, they are enablers out of convenience at the very least.

The same happened with the German conservatives in Hitler's day. They let Hitler do what he wanted because he helped them get what they wanted. And how did that turn out?

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not going to happen and you know it.

Everyone in political office from Bernie to Mitch will say the exact same thing. You guys should know that by now. The BEST you'll get is a condemnation of Trumps rhetoric. But you will not get a statement condemning a large portion of the electorate.

Hillary tried that and she was fucking blasted for it.

That is because it was Hillary saying it, everyone wants her to go away whether what she says is good or bad, right or wrong because they blame her for Trump's win. I agreed with her saying it for one.

I wasn't talking about Charlottesville. Journalists were killed in Maryland.

I am not aware of this, how did this go under the radar?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not ignoring it. But we still know nothing about the attacker or what their affiliation is. All we know is that democrats were targeted that tells us very little about the attacker and yet there are people in here claiming the GOP is a terrorist organization based on these bombs. You can't make absurd claims like that when all we know is that democrats have been targeted. That's not how it works.
You sure as shit can blame Trump for this.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And yet they quickly leverage him to get what they want. So, they are enablers out of convenience at the very least.

The same happened with the German conservatives in Hitler's day. They let Hitler do what he wanted because he helped them get what they wanted. And how did that turn out?

That escalated quickly.

My point stands that the GOP should not be categorized as a terrorist organization, to hold this opinion in any serious way is extreme at best.