• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
How did Candace Owens become so influential? Some relatively inexperienced right wing Kool-aid drinker is dominating the recent narrative in this thread. Why?

Honestly? Token black women for conservative thought. That's literally her gimmick.

Like Charlie Kirk, her ideas are as deep as toothpaste if you give her enough time to hang herself in a political debate, but because she's a minority, she's a pawn to be used to give way to the false idea that the Democrats want a "plantation of voters" and that conservative thought is in any way compassionate, sensible, and plausible to support.

Much like Diamond and Silk, she's really only there for diversity points. She's dumber than a dildo, so she's not there ala Thomas Sowell and his "intellectual" take on things.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's not going to happen and you know it.

Everyone in political office from Bernie to Mitch will say the exact same thing. You guys should know that by now. The BEST you'll get is a condemnation of Trumps rhetoric. But you will not get a statement condemning a large portion of the electorate.

Hillary tried that and she was fucking blasted for it.

And people should call them out. Honestly, I think most politicians are afraid to alienate wealthy donors . Their statement is a calculated political move. As a constituent, people will voice their thoughts . Enough people find statements inadequate then they'll change.

Not trying because it might not work is a loser defeatist attitude. An attitude that in parts got Democrats in this current mess.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"Strawman"? i am jsut saying your impatience may mean you would be more satisfied at reading monthly, researched content instead of live content like twitter or Resetera, where people are used to the drip feed.

Resetera is a forum. Not twitter.
That's my point!

There are standards for discourse here . I think drive by random twitter posts fall below that standard.

Oct 26, 2017
Republicans: " a republican would never do this!"

also republicans: " i wish one of those 2nd A people could.. you know.... The implications..... You know... "

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
You sure as shit can blame Trump for this.
No you can't. We have no idea who the attacker is and we do not have any political statements or motives from them. If the attacker was caught and they admitted to attacking democrats for trump/republicans or something similar. Then you can blame Trump for facilitating this kind of behavior over the last 2 years. But unless we know what the person's motivations are you can't play the blame game.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How did Candace Owens become so influential? Some relatively inexperienced right wing Kool-aid drinker is dominating the recent narrative in this thread. Why?

I think you're confusing "influence" with media spotlight.

And to answer why she has media spotlight, it's because she's a black women who spews what nationalist rhetoric.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Except the 300 that have been killed this year already. How about the child concentration camps, Marrec, gonna downplay those too?

I'm not disputing that minorities have been killed, but you said "indiscriminately shot in the streets" which is clearly not actually happening.

The child immigrant detention camps are bad as well, in fact, I never said the things you were referencing in your stylishly extreme language were good things.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, asides from the semantics and the juicy hot takes from internet talking heads, is there a decent live blog I can follow?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
You can hate the GOP and not put them in the same category as ISIS or the IRA.

Why not? I know people don't like the ISIS comparison, but they at least support UHC. When you're outclassed by barbarians, your platform just seems to be overwhelming in hatred and violence that this can even be seriously inspected upon. A party always at war with some form of human life, almost always for Christian, monetary reasons.

Then there's the fact the GOP is a greater existential threat to human civilization than ISIS, and that's not hyperbole. People normalized "civility" so seriously that they don't even realize half the political system literally doesn't care about most living entities on this planet.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In case you're wondering what the weirdo right winger response to this is, I checked it out and it's "false flag operation!"

Nov 30, 2017
It would also be a literal act of war. They're assholes, but they're not insane.
You should look up the Russian apartment bombings for the level of competence we are working with here.
To be completely fair, saying they should share a jail cell and what is happening are two completely different things. But the spirit of the point is valid.
Advocating for locking up your political opponents is not "completely different things" from advocating for their deaths. One literally leads to the other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LiK

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Candace O is like a caricature of a human being. Best to ignore her crazy tweets.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Call them what they are, child concentration camps. Why can you not say it?

Because concentration camps carry with it a specific iconography and history that don't quite fit with the immigrant detention centers. I understand WHY you want to try and square that circle but let's be real.

Any other weirdly off topic questions?

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Because concentration camps carry with it a specific iconography and history that don't quite fit with the immigrant detention centers. I understand WHY you want to try and square that circle but let's be real.

The Nazis probably told the Jews they were going to a lifestyle and fitness center. And the Democratic Republic of Congo is to totally Democratic cuz it's in the title. We have also always been at war with Eurasia.

Doublespeak is a real thing Yall need to fresh up on 1984.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Nazis probably told the Jews they were going to a lifestyle and fitness center. And the Democratic Republic of Congo is to totally Democratic cuz it's in the title. We have also always been at war with Eurasia.

Doublespeak is a real thing Yall need to fresh up on 1984.

Yes but we know that they aren't working children near to death before having them dig massive trenches and lining them up on the edges of those trenches to be casually machine-gunned, most dying but some living long enough to be crushed beneath the weight of those that line up and are shot after.

So ya, specific history.

The immigrant detention camps are very bad and certainly will leave many children scarred for life, but we are not going to find that the Trump administration spitefully gassed millions of child immigrants.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left

3FroYOc.gif

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

You've been in threads telling people not to call them Nazis, despite the fact that it's commonly understood what that comparison is made for and what it means/ does not mean.

Now you're telling people not to call them concentration camps, despite the fact that what they're doing with those people crossing the border literally fits the bill of the term.

Anything else you want to defend and minimize?

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

No?

con·cen·tra·tion camp
/ˌkänsənˈtrāSHən ˈˌkamp/
noun
  1. a place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labor or to await mass execution. The term is most strongly associated with the several hundred camps established by the Nazis in Germany and occupied Europe in 1933–45, among the most infamous being Dachau, Belsen, and Auschwitz.

Sure, the term is highly associated with the Holocaust. However, it definitely fits the description. Even if you do not want to accept it.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
This is what the negative narrative of Trump is leading to. And I'm afraid the worst has yet to come. When I listen to some of Trump supporters, I'm just sad. What we I hear such had so mch hatred and ignorance I can't believe this is possible in a democracy.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You've been in threads telling people not to call them Nazis, despite the fact that it's commonly understood what that comparison is made for and what it means/ does not mean.

Now you're telling people not to call them concentration camps, despite the fact that what they're doing with those people crossing the border literally fits the bill of the term.

Anything else you want to defend and minimize?

I'm not defending anything. People are using "concentration camp" specifically to invocate nazi imagery when it doesn't exist. That's dangerous and minimizes the actual holocaust.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
3FroYOc.gif
Chilling

Nov 30, 2017
You don't want to know what social influencers on the right are saying and thus maybe be able to think about how that will disseminate down to their political base?

It's important to stay informed, even if the information makes you angry.
There's nothing that Candace Owens is saying that would be informative in any way. There's not a single fact contained in her tweet and it contributed nothing to the conversation.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
"The GOP does bad stuff, don't call them terrorists"

"They are child detention centers, not child concentration camps"

"Minorities are being killed but not indiscriminately"

Besides being transparent, people like you are going to be very complicit when they cross whatever line you imagine you are holding in your head to start calling things out for how bad they are when you should have acted sooner. History is not going to give a good look to what amounts to fascist apologia dressed as civility or enlightened centrism. Your outlook hurts people.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Can we ban links to rightwing propaganda twitters? (not ban users making them, just remove the links and such)?

Asking seriously (No, mods, I am not blaming you, being in your shoes these days can't be easy at all...)

Because concentration camps carry with it a specific iconography and history that don't quite fit with the immigrant detention centers.

Disagree strongly. Concentration camps are *the* name for this. That's literally what they are.

Remember, the nazis didn't come up with that term. It was used before. In the US, no less.

And the term fits the concentration camps the GOP puts kids into perfectly, complete with the sexual abuse going on.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's nothing that Candace Owens is saying that would be informative in any way. There's not a single fact contained in her tweet and it contributed nothing to the conversation.

Again, I am not saying that Ownes is saying important things. In fact, if you actually read what I posted, you'll see that I didn't even IMPLY she is saying important things.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Concentration camps have been around since the Boer War, stop minimising

Lots of things have been around since before the second world war but the schima in your brain for "concentration camp" does not bring to mind the British imprisoning Boer's don't fucking play.

People are using "concentration camp" for a VERY SPECIFIC REASON, in order to imply that Trump and his organization are or are capable of murdering millions of people the same way that Hitler and his organization did.

Oct 25, 2017
3FroYOc.gif

We must come together with these people! They just need us to find some middle ground!

Sigh.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'm not defending anything. People are using "concentration camp" specifically to invocate nazi imagery when it doesn't exist. That's dangerous and minimizes the actual holocaust.
I mean, they're literally concentration camps. They match the definition to a t. I'm not sure why you're getting into semantic nit-picking here?

What do you call the camps the Japanese were placed in? The Boer War? The Cuban War? Etc.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Asking again, any decent live blogs currently running?

I'm presuming details are still relatively light given this has turned into a semantics debate.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That escalated quickly.

My point stands that the GOP should not be categorized as a terrorist organization, to hold this opinion in any serious way is extreme at best.

Last year they failed by one vote to literally condemn millions to preventable death and suffering. And the NO didn't even object to the substance, only the process.