• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, they're literally concentration camps. They match the definition to a t. I'm not sure why you're getting into semantic nit-picking here?

What do you call the camps the Japanese were placed in? The Boer War? The Cuban War? Etc.

Lots of things have been around since before the second world war but the schima in your brain for "concentration camp" does not bring to mind the British imprisoning Boer's don't fucking play.

People are using "concentration camp" for a VERY SPECIFIC REASON, in order to imply that Trump and his organization are or are capable of murdering millions of people the same way that Hitler and his organization did.

See above

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not defending anything. People are using "concentration camp" specifically to invocate nazi imagery when it doesn't exist. That's dangerous and minimizes the actual holocaust.

At Homer's barbecue, Lisa steals the pig, using the riding lawnmower to push the grill out of the yard and up a steep slope, while Homer and Bart chase after her. When Lisa gets to the top of the slope, the grill starts rolling downhill, building up speed. Homer and Bart now chase after the grill, while it rolls into a street and through a hedge]
Homer: It's just a little dirty. It's still good, it's still good!
[Homer and Bart keep running after the grill. The grill rolls into traffic (miraculously missing every car) and crashes into a bridge railing. The pig keeps going and ends up splashing into the river.]
Homer: It's just a little slimy. It's still good, it's still good!
[The pig floats downstream to a dam where it gets caught in the spillway, blocking it. Water builds up behind the pig until the pressure pushes the pig the rest of the way through the spillway, blasting it into the sky. Homer and Bart watch from on top of the dam.]
Homer: It's just a little airborne. It's still good, it's still good!
Bart: [crestfallen] It's gone.
Homer: [even more crestfallen] I know.

LiquidSword

Oct 25, 2017
So how long after the midterms do you guys think until a militia will try to take over a local government by force because they elected Democrats? After the Bundys got off scot free from both of their stand-offs there is not way militias are not emboldened.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Call me paranoid but I wouldn't be surprise if Russia is behind this thing. I don't think Trump will win again and they prepare the terrain to create tension in the American society.
What exactly is the point to attempt the life of such persons? Doesn't make sense to me looking to an american subject if not deliberately create conflict on both sides.

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? I should stop arguing for reality?
No, that if you go to a holocaust memorial, you'll get somber reflections on the past as well as warnings for the fucking present and future. You can deny the kurrent kinder koncentration kamps all you please, but we still have children in fucking cages, drugged and held from their families. Where this is going is nowhere good if your firm grasp of history is to be believed.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not defending anything. People are using "concentration camp" specifically to invocate nazi imagery when it doesn't exist. That's dangerous and minimizes the actual holocaust.

This game you're playing is incredibly pedantic. Call them daycares if it really helps you feel better. I'm not gonna argue this anymore in an off-topic thread.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty terrible, but I'm glad 50+ Republicans and Trump have spoken out about this. They never seem to until their bullshit gets too crazy tho. Should have reigned in this shit months ago. Is it because their coworkers are being attacked that they're starting to take notice, or does handwaving political violence pose enough of a potential threat to themselves?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Can we get a poll to predict how long before trump tweets out the false flag narrative so the entire Trump Cult of Latter Day Cunts can start parroting it?

Oct 28, 2017
Considering that the country's citizens are fully armed and its current political/power/ideology/whatever you call it struggles, yikes

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
So how long after the midterms do you guys think until a militia will try to take over a local government by force because they elected Democrats? After the Bundys got off scot free from both of their stand-offs there is not way militias are not emboldened.

Militia?

Terrorist. But I know what you're saying, and I'm cool with it.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can we get a poll to predict how long before trump tweets out the false flag narrative so the entire Trump Cult of Latter Day Cunts can start parroting it?

I think you see him make the implication at his rally tonight.

Something like:

"Oh man did you hear about the bombs, awful awful stuff... but none of em went off!" *waits for crowd to stop booing at the idea of democrats didn't die* "Can you believe it!? All those bombs and not a single one went off, wonder why."

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Fucking yikes, in a thread about bombings being sent to democrats we've got the semantics of concentration camps/interment camps being debated because that's where separated kids are being sent to. Or are we just going to call them fun camps now?

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but we know that they aren't working children near to death before having them dig massive trenches and lining them up on the edges of those trenches to be casually machine-gunned, most dying but some living long enough to be crushed beneath the weight of those that line up and are shot after.

So ya, specific history.

The immigrant detention camps are very bad and certainly will leave many children scarred for life, but we are not going to find that the Trump administration spitefully gassed millions of child immigrants.

Yeah, but what about the Japanese Internment camps in America during World War 2. Would you not consider them a form of concentration camp? The child camps are certainly closer in nature to those camps, and many historically consider them a form of concentration camp.

First paragraph of the wiki on the Japanese Internment Camps:

The internment of Japanese Americans in the United States of America during World War II was the forced relocation and incarceration in concentration camps in the western interior of the country of between 110,000 and 120,000[5] people of Japanese ancestry, most of whom lived on the Pacific coast. Sixty-two percent of the internees were United States citizens.[6][7] These actions were ordered by President Franklin D. Roosevelt shortly after Imperial Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_Japanese_Americans

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

the GOP is capable of murdering millions of people. I mean, they blew up IRAQ for shits and giggles.

Honestly, who gives a shit that the GOP is compared to nazi animals, which they all fucking are? That comparisson might ___________________________________. Cause them to throw kids into concentration camps? Nazism is the most recent example western civilization has of sheer fascism. We are in a fascist time in America, there is no reason it can't be compared. I don't need to wait until they are literally gassing mexicans in order to compare their ideology, a white only ethnostate that trump fucking supports, to nazis. So much effort is thrown into not labeling this fucking scum, yet, they're proving why they are scum daily. I like your posting here, we've had some exchanges, but This is one of those things that I'll never understand.

There is no explosive outcome of calling the GOP what they are, and what they are on the road to. Nazi's didn't just start out the gate rounding up people and gassing them. It was a process, anyone with a glimmer of a historic google even, can see that is the path this country is on by demonizing islam/and othering migrants/brown people. The only thing I ever see, is that jewish people take issue with it. As it waters down what Nazis actually did ultimately, if you just throw out the comparison for everything. It doesn't reduce Israel's GDP, or their nuclear arsenal, or their land grab. Nothing negative comes from descriptors.

I get the technical debate. But, they're rounding up kids. So, ultimately, thats where my concern would be. Not the terminology. As if it has a bearing on anything.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking yikes, in a thread about bombings being sent to democrats we've got the semantics of concentration camps being debated because that's where separated kids are being sent to. Or are we just going to call them fun camps now?

"Summer camps" was a term I remember Fox News using.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of things have been around since before the second world war but the schima in your brain for "concentration camp" does not bring to mind the British imprisoning Boer's don't fucking play.

Maybe that's just you. I tend to think any targeted group amassed into cages against their will is rather concentration camp-y.

People are using "concentration camp" for a VERY SPECIFIC REASON, in order to imply that Trump and his organization are or are capable of murdering millions of people the same way that Hitler and his organization did.

Okay?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think a thread implies a running conversation, and people share things at the same rythm that they read the mon other platforms (like twitter).

I disagree that this forum is the same as Twitter. As you said, running conversation. Posting random tweets from people on Twitter is not conducive to conversation. It's a drive by post to spark outrage. Twitter posts are sometimes posted without even any commentary from the poster. It's worthless

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Fucking yikes, in a thread about bombings being sent to democrats we've got the semantics of concentration camps being debated because that's where separated kids are being sent to. Or are we just going to call them fun camps now?

Ohhhh the decency I do declare.

Fuck that they're concentration camps and we obviously have a domestic terrorist targeting several major liberal people. This is unprecedented.

Ignoring the concentration camps or relabeling them is exactly how you accelerate to fascism.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but what about the Japanese Internment camps in America during World War 2. Would you not consider them a form of concentration camp? The child camps are certainly closer in nature to those camps, and many historically consider them a form of concentration camp.

This has gotten completely out of hand and in the weeds (by design I'm sure) but when someone says the current immigrant detention centers are "concentration camps" they are not referencing the Japanese Internment Camps.

That's the last I'll say on the subject because we're WILDLY off topic.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the GOP is capable of murdering millions of people. I mean, they blew up IRAQ for shits and giggles.

Honestly, who gives a shit that the GOP is compared to nazi animals, which they all fucking are? That comparisson might ___________________________________. Cause them to throw kids into concentration camps? Nazism is the most recent example western civilization has of sheer fascism. We are in a fascist time in America, there is no reason it can't be compared. I don't need to wait until they are literally gassing mexicans in order to compare their ideology, a white only ethnostate that trump fucking supports, to nazis. So much effort is thrown into not labeling this fucking scum, yet, they're proving why they are scum daily. I like your posting here, we've had some exchanges, but This is one of those things that I'll never understand.

There is no explosive outcome of calling the GOP what they are, and what they are on the road to. Nazi's didn't just start out the gate rounding up people and gassing them. It was a process, anyone with a glimmer of a historic google even, can see that is the path this country is on by demonizing islam/and othering migrants/brown people. The only thing I ever see, is that jewish people take issue with it. As it waters down what Nazis actually did ultimately, if you just throw out the comparison for everything. It doesn't reduce Israel's GDP, or their nuclear arsenal, or their land grab. Nothing negative comes from descriptors.

I get the technical debate. But, they're rounding up kids. So, ultimately, thats where my concern would be. Not the terminology. As if it has a bearing on anything.

I love you.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Guys don't call the literal concentration camps concentration camps. It might anger the literal Nazi's into acting like Nazi's.

Oct 25, 2017

YIIY0Da.png

Take it up with Mirriam-Webster I guess.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
There were concentration camps in Serbia during the Yugoslav Wars (1991-2001). Concentration camps don't have to be Extermination camps like in WWII, which is what people commonly confuse them with. But I dunno why you guys keep interacting with marrec. Just put his ignorant ass on ignore.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Even Joe Arpaio called his tent city a concentration camp.
Nope, it's not good enough that children are being drugged and kept in cages separated from their parents by the government, the important thing is we don't draw an obvious parallel to other historical circumstances. Until they start just killing the kids, *that* will be the time to refer to them as "concentration camps".
Because you showed your ass and you're getting called out for it.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because you showed your ass and you're getting called out for it.

If that's what helps you sleep at night. Perhaps if you want to continue our discussion you should make a thread about it?

Either way, we should stop having our little spat in a thread about bombs being mailed to political figures.

thespit

Banned
Oct 21, 2018
User Banned (permanent): Trolling and attempting to bait other members over a series of posts, Junior phase account

Honestly, who gives a shit that the GOP is compared to nazi animals, which they all fucking are? That comparisson might ___________________________________. Cause them to throw kids into concentration camps? Nazism is the most recent example western civilization has of sheer fascism. We are in a fascist time in America, there is no reason it can't be compared.

I see rhetoric like this a lot. Are you advocating for violent upheaval? If the federal government is literally Nazis, I don't see what else you could be aiming for.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Concentration camps have existed long before the Nazi's and have existed long afterwards with several reported as existing today. There's nothing nazi specific about that term. It may be well known for their usage but they're far from only ones that have used such camps throughout history.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
This has gotten completely out of hand and in the weeds (by design I'm sure) but when someone says the current immigrant detention centers are "concentration camps" they are not referencing the Japanese Internment Camps.

Who are you to say that

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017

I get the sense that you're the kind of person who'd stare a Holocaust survivor straight in the eye and tell them that they're wrong for comparing the camps where children are detained to concentration camps. Ridiculous.

https://www.newsweek.com/im-holocaust-survivor-trumps-america-feels-germany-nazis-took-over-876965

There's already Holocaust survivors comparing what's going on in the US today to what happened in Germany before World War II. As another poster said, Germany didn't start with gassing people. It gradually built up to that. In the larger scheme of things, the camps that the government is keeping migrant kids in not being a 1:1 match to the concentration camps in Nazi Germany is of so little significance because you're arguing semantics while kids are being locked in cages. You're wasting everyone's time, including your own. You trying to water down rhetoric does NOTHING useful for ANYONE.

Edit: Shit, my apologies... this ended up posting right after the moderator's warning :\

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is a breaking news thread, you want to argue semantics, fucking open your own thread. I keep thinking something has happened when I see this thread bumped but no, its arguing over the definition of the word and dog piling.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can hate the GOP and not put them in the same category as ISIS or the IRA.
I agree, the GOP is much worse. For all of the brutality of ISIS, they have not nearly had the same deleterious effect on humanity's future and this planet as the Republican party, nor the death count, nor the legions of devotees. You're ignoring what the GOP has wrought upon America and through America the world simply because they aren't beheading innocents in the street. No, they aren't as barbaric, they're insideous and calculated instead while being just as malevolent. There is not a bloody spectacle when they kill and maim, just millions upon millions dying slowly from lack of healthcare or unjustly held in prisons for profit. There are terrorist organizations behind some truly horrific acts in modern times, but not a damn one has the reach or the power of the GOP, has negatively impacted as many lives as the GOP, and not one can claim to be heralding the entire planet towards an extinction event.

ISIS and the IRA wish they were on that level.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man, the things some people do to defend Republicans, I swear.

Just admit that you're a Republican so we can know that you indirectly support their shit already.

thespit

Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I agree, the GOP is much worse. For all of the brutality of ISIS, they have not nearly had the same deleterious effect on humanity's future and this planet as the Republican party, nor the death count, nor the legions of devotees. You're ignoring what the GOP has wrought upon America and through America the world simply because they aren't beheading innocents in the street. No, they aren't as barbaric, they're insideous and calculated instead while being just as malevolent. There is not a bloody spectacle when they kill and maim, just millions upon millions dying slowly from lack of healthcare or unjustly held in prisons for profit. There are terrorist organizations behind some truly horrific acts in modern times, but not a damn one has the reach or the power of the GOP, has negatively impacted as many lives as the GOP, and not one can claim to be heralding the entire planet towards an extinction event.

ISIS and the IRA wish they were on that level.

Do you think the GOP is a terrorist organization?