• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we have a different definition of it? Auto combos from what I've seen is typically defined as a combo that you can do that is performed by pressing the same button over and over. It doesn't mean every combo in the game can be done automatically.

That's not an auto combo, that's a natural string.

Same thing for say SFII, mashing light punch a few times to combo isn't a auto combo even though it does technically combo into itself.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Basically the concept of what has been introduced to 2D and 2.5D fighters as of late, as with DBFZ's canned sequences where you get a combo by mashing L that starts on the ground and leads to a launcher and automatic Super Dash into air combo before a smash back to the ground, or the M combo that automatically ends with a Lv. 1 super if the play has meter. Either way, they're a form of mechanical simplification intended to ease in new players, and aren't suited being used in their entirety during a serious match instead of partially before switching up inputs (i.e., other buttons, jump cancels, specials, or supers). Something like DoA6's Fatal Rush can be counted as an autocombo by these standards, but there is no universally applicable "mash to win" button for SCVI characters.

Autocombos could be performed manually with different inputs, if the user was so inclined.

So by that definition then does Granblue actually have auto combos? You have the shortcuts for your big attacks but if you press X, Triangle, or Circle, while the initial attack might be different, each of them lead into the same attack 3 hit combo.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
People who get angry at auto-combo implementation are rather silly. They are never optimal and they are completely incapable of carrying a player. Also, it isn't like target combos are a HUGE step-up in technical execution, yet no one throws a fit when a character gets one of those.
Not a huge difference with most target combos, but they are indeed the least of what most people complain about with Ibuki in SFV.
So by that definition then does Granblue actually have auto combos? You have the short cuts but if you press X, Triangle, or Circle, while the initial attack might be different, each of them lead into the same attack 3 hit combo.
GBVS does indeed have autocombos. Pretty much every Arc fighting game this gen with the exceptions of Guilty Gear Xrd and Strive. Oh, and minus mainline BlazBlue.

Narco

Oct 27, 2017
Autocombos are fine.

Autotracking of autocombos, like in DBFZ, are some huge bullshit though.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind. They just usually flashy normals into a lv1 super, ala DBFZ. The most optional combos you have to learn yourself.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
GBVS does indeed have autocombos. Pretty much every Arc fighting game this gen with the exceptions of Guilty Gear Xrd and Strive.

I think then I'll need that explained to me.

Cause another poster said I mistook a natural string for an auto combo. So what in GBVS is considered an auto combo and what is considered a natural string?

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
I have trouble with the DBFZ/BBtag style of auto-combos, because some normals are locked behind them, and because I've been playing fighting games for so long, I have trouble adapting to pressing the same button multiple times in a row. I'm otherwise okay with the idea, because they're far from being optimal and if I got hit, it's my fault in the first place. I'd much rather get auto-combo'd for 2k damage versus getting hit for 4k with an upcoming mixup ;)

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019
I will say that when you look at a game like Granblue, the definition of a "string" and "autocombo" is starting to become muddled.

Jun 22, 2019
Auto combos are fine.

Auto combos that continue going on whiff (don't get me started on auto-correcting on whiff) are not fine. At higher levels of play they aren't too much an issue even then, but I think they do get in the way of beginners learning neutral fundamentals, and they often fuck over intermediate levels of play.

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
I think then I'll need that explained to me.

Cause another poster said I mistook a natural string for an auto combo. So what in GBVS is considered an auto combo and what is considered a natural string?

Hi. I will try to explain he difference:

In Dragon Ball fighterz, if you pres Light attack six or seven times, you get the same secuence you'll get from pressing Light > medium > hard > dragon rush > light > medium > hard. It is saving you from doing a more complicated sequence. The medium sequence is the same as doing medium > cr. Medium > qcf medium > qcf light + medium.

In soul calibur 6, A A A is one of the many sequences a character have. It is not replacing a more complicated move, it is a move by itself.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I think the "A-B-C/L-M-H" type systems like in Marvel 3 or Gatlings in Guilty Gear where you can go "P-K-S-HS" are better for new players.

Hammering one button feels like you aren't doing the right thing, just using a mechnic as an easy mode. Pressing the buttons in ascending order breaks down that barrier a bit and allows new players to feel like they are playing the game "properly" if that makes any sense.
I am dumpster-fire bad when it comes to fighting games but I agree with this sentiment a lot more than the way auto-combos work. While it's usable for putting a bit of damage on, even my scrub ass isn't very fond of the idea of just mashing a single button and having it magically turning into a multi-hit combo with different moves and even a special at the end. Not only is that not very engaging but it doesn't provide any sort of a natural gateway into learning to work out other combos manually. Rather than fully automating the process I think the best way to improve newcomer accessibility and engagement for fighting games is to make combos themselves more intuitive and easier to perform manually.

The first fighting game that I could say ever really clicked with me was Tatsunolo vs. Capcom and I think it exemplifies this style pretty well. Most normals are able to cancel into other normals on hit, which makes combos technically much easier to perform, putting more emphasis on hitting the right buttons in the right order rather than worrying about timing every attack into several-frame windows. Combining that with the quoted A-B-C escalation pattern gives you a really easy starting block to approach learning a character and finding what will or won't fit into a combo.
Say you start with a jab, A. From there, you can test to see what can come next in the chain: crouching A, standing B, or crouching B. It works like a forward-moving flowchart, and knowing you can pretty reliably count on that sort of progression, even fighting newbies can lab out rudimentary combos that are easy to perform and feel more satisfying to pull off than simply mashing A for an easy 3 or 4 hits. I never even dug much into TvC's deeper stuff like baroque extensions or crazy air juggling but the ease of understanding and testing basic combos on its own was enough to engage me more than other fighters I've tried.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally okay with autocombos, if people constantly destroys you with that shit is because you just plain sucks.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So by that definition then does Granblue actually have auto combos? You have the shortcuts for your big attacks but if you press X, Triangle, or Circle, while the initial attack might be different, each of them lead into the same attack 3 hit combo.
I'm not the person to ask since the game is not out yet and I have no experience with it. Hopefully someone else can help you with this question, though.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Autocombos are trash but I understand the need for them. If a hypothetical sf6 has them that's a hard pass from. Reason I hate them is because certain normals are locked behind it.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
You can literally press Triangle 4 times in a row for a full combo.
That's a string, not an auto combo. Auto combos do moves you could otherwise do manually without you having to worry about timing or execution. A string is like a special attack and very specific, some just happen to be multiple presses of one button.