• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Allocations are tight so I believe they are going for MSRP in most cases. This particular example was maxed out so it was over $80k new (the used price was $74k and change) but if I was going to order one it would be around $72k as I don't need the Dynamic Plus package with the carbon ceramic brakes.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TT-RS looks miles ahead of its predecessor but I never did try one.. if they do release an customer version of the TT Clubsport Turbo I won't hesitate to get one.

as for my current project they did a sample spray for the porsche color

too bad i'm overseas and haven't seen the actual sample

IMG-38587f591b2ba4068584aaf03cd724e4-V.jpg

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Today was TT-RS test drive day! My thoughts and a couple of photos here: http://slaent.com/thread/132067/page/77/post/1465574/ Spoiler alert: it was fantastic and I loved it.
You guys are some ballers in here, I wouldn't mind an LC500 myself based on looks alone. I liked your impressions on all three cars though.

I've been eyeing a TT myself, but just the standard not the S nor RS. Leaning heavily towards a lightly used or CPO one some time next year. I also really want to see what the production model of the new Toyota Supra looks like and where it lands price wise.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
So after getting my oil changed and them handing me a piece of paper that basically said "Here's $5000 worth of shit wrong with your car that you probably need to get done at some point, but not all at once", and the fact that my AC doesn't work well unless I am going highway speeds, I think it's time to replace my 2002 Honda Civic.

I'm looking at the 2018 Civic, specifically the EX-T. I test drove a Civic Si today, but that one is out of my price range and has a bunch of stuff I really don't need. I don't need a sports car or anything, but something nice and modern and this seems to fit the bill.

Thing I want:

- I prefer manual transmission, but I won't be super picky about it. However it looks like the Civic EX-T has it anyway.
- technology, entertainment center, backup camera, etc.
- 4-door sedan

I'm looking into financing options still, but does anyone have a 2018 Civic? What do you think of it?

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So after getting my oil changed and them handing me a piece of paper that basically said "Here's $5000 worth of shit wrong with your car that you probably need to get done at some point, but not all at once", and the fact that my AC doesn't work well unless I am going highway speeds, I think it's time to replace my 2002 Honda Civic.

I'm looking at the 2018 Civic, specifically the EX-T. I test drove a Civic Si today, but that one is out of my price range and has a bunch of stuff I really don't need. I don't need a sports car or anything, but something nice and modern and this seems to fit the bill.

Thing I want:

- I prefer manual transmission, but I won't be super picky about it. However it looks like the Civic EX-T has it anyway.
- 4-door sedan

I'm looking into financing options still, but does anyone have a 2018 Civic? What do you think of it?
That sucks, but is also exciting at the time since you'll end up with a new car. I don't have a Civic, but I don't think they've really made a bad one - some have been styled better than others but they've always been high on the list in that segment.

The reviews on it are good though! You should test drive it and let us know what you think. Maybe others can chime in from experience.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like the Civic but no volume knob would drive me nuts. I've used aftermarket units that have screen-based controls and it drives me and passengers nuts.

Mazda 3 is also a solid car. It's a bit of an older design now - it was new for 2014 - but Mazda keeps iterating it. Meets all your requirements. Wonderful car and tbh one myself and fiance are looking at.

The new Jetta is also an option. I haven't driven it yet. Only drive the previous generation as a rental and I thought it was a solidly put together car, roomy, and dynamically solid - and the previous generation was apparently one of the bad ones. The whole VW servicing costs and reliability horror stories turn me off of them slightly. But I'm not sure how much is true and how much is people moaning on the internet.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
At that price you can just get a 718.
Of course but, as with anything, there would be trade-offs. I really don't like the way the 718's sound, at all, and the sound a sportscar makes is a big part of the joy of ownership for me so that would be a big negative everytime I drove it. And then there's the service costs which heavily favor the Audi (Audi care for 4 years is only $800 and covers all scheduled maintenance and a lot of dealers will include it for free as part of the deal on these cars). And of course the Porsche interior and tech is a step or two behind the Audi as well as the overall roominess and ability to carry stuff. Don't get me wrong, the 718 cars are amazing, but for what I am looking for they just come up a little bit short.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

Thing I want:

- 4-door sedan

The Hyundai Elantra range could be worth checking out. I've seen the Elantra Sport get positive reviews and it compares favorably to the Si.

Then again, hard to go wrong with a Civic.

Oct 25, 2017
- 4-door sedan
Civic EX-T is a really fun drive. I love the 2018 civics, but then again I'm biased since I sell them lmao. But seriously it's a pretty fun car, I prefer the hatch sport personally which won't have as many features on it, but the civic hatch body styling has really grown on me over time and any dealership that would approve you for one will approve you on the other. Not to mention the 2018 civics are like immortal unless you're actively trying to kill them lol.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Of course but, as with anything, there would be trade-offs. I really don't like the way the 718's sound, at all, and the sound a sportscar makes is a big part of the joy of ownership for me so that would be a big negative everytime I drove it. And then there's the service costs which heavily favor the Audi (Audi care for 4 years is only $800 and covers all scheduled maintenance and a lot of dealers will include it for free as part of the deal on these cars). And of course the Porsche interior and tech is a step or two behind the Audi as well as the overall roominess and ability to carry stuff. Don't get me wrong, the 718 cars are amazing, but for what I am looking for they just come up a little bit short.

Nah, you've got good reasons to go for the Audi IMO. I was being dismissive and should know better cause I get the "GranCabrio? Why not just buy a 911 Turbo for that money?" every time I bring up my personal preferences. Though I'll admit the GranCabrio doesn't have much going for it at all compared to the Audi.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like the Civic but no volume knob would drive me nuts. I've used aftermarket units that have screen-based controls and it drives me and passengers nuts.

Mazda 3 is also a solid car. It's a bit of an older design now - it was new for 2014 - but Mazda keeps iterating it. Meets all your requirements. Wonderful car and tbh one myself and fiance are looking at.

The new Jetta is also an option. I haven't driven it yet. Only drive the previous generation as a rental and I thought it was a solidly put together car, roomy, and dynamically solid - and the previous generation was apparently one of the bad ones. The whole VW servicing costs and reliability horror stories turn me off of them slightly. But I'm not sure how much is true and how much is people moaning on the internet.
If the Mazda 3's quality is anything like CX-5 I had as a rental this week then I'd say it's definitely worth a look, I was surprised how premium it was.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a sucker for the NSX and am generally not a fan of wraps but this thing is heat:

Red one is more my tempo though.

Last edited:

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
If I had the money I'd definitely consider one of the Focus RS limited editions they're making to end the run. Only 1500 are being manufactured which pretty much guarantees it'll be a collector car if you hang onto it.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
One more question: What do you guys think of the turbocharged engines? Based on some things I have read apparently they are costly to maintain?

I was looking at the Honda Civic EX-T, but now I may be looking at just the EX because of that. It's a shame because the EX doesn't have some of the features the EX-T has, one of them being manual transimssion.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
One more question: What do you guys think of the turbocharged engines? Based on some things I have read apparently they are costly to maintain?

I was looking at the Honda Civic EX-T, but now I may be looking at just the EX because of that. It's a shame because the EX doesn't have some of the features the EX-T has, one of them being manual transimssion.

I wouldn't worry too much. Turbo technology has come a long, long way in passenger cars since its inception and most turbo's being manufactured these days should last the life of the car if they are properly cared for. I will say that timely oil changes have never been more important as the turbos themselves use some oil for lubrication so don't skimp on that! Honda's turbo motors are fairly new so there's no way to judge long term durability but based on Honda's past history if anyone is going to make a durable motor and car that will last hundred's of thousands of miles with little trouble then it would be Honda.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a sucker for the NSX and am generally not a fan of wraps but this thing is heat:

To each their own but damn the NSX already has classic lines that don't need all those tacky wrap graphics on it.

Here are two of my friends' NSXes (which are tracked all the time) being driven by Matt Farah

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017

That's timely. I was actually watching original NSX related stuff on Youtube last night while checking prices on Cars.com. It's not in the cards right now but I won't say it might not happen in the future.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
NSX are great..I had 2 of them back then.
They lacked power though but super reilable. I pretty much daily drove my 1st one.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I wouldn't worry too much. Turbo technology has come a long, long way in passenger cars since its inception and most turbo's being manufactured these days should last the life of the car if they are properly cared for. I will say that timely oil changes have never been more important as the turbos themselves use some oil for lubrication so don't skimp on that! Honda's turbo motors are fairly new so there's no way to judge long term durability but based on Honda's past history if anyone is going to make a durable motor and car that will last hundred's of thousands of miles with little trouble then it would be Honda.

Just as matmanx1 said, getting standard maintenance done on time and you shouldn't worry. The turbo should last the life of the vehicle, typically factory installed turbos are tuned quite a bit lower than what they can handle.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up getting the Civic EX 2018, and am quite happy with it. Got a good finance rate too.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I ended up getting the Civic EX 2018, and am quite happy with it. Got a good finance rate too.
Great to hear. I haven't had the privilege of driving one but the customer satisfaction on those seems to be very high. I do have an inquiry in with a couple of dealers on the Civic Type R but there's a very low percent chance that one would come available during my purchase window and that I would choose it over the TTRS that I liked so much.

Enjoy your Civic!

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Sweet! I love that blue in person (though i love the stealth grey even more).

Stealth Grey was my other choice. It would have matched my Eclipse GSX...my fast car. :-P But the grey is very...flat. The Nitrous blue has a lot of sparkle in person and a ton of depth to it!

There are a lot of deals out there. I bought this one new, but I was also looking at several used ones with less than 10k mi on them! One was $32k. Another with 6500mi on it was $36k. Check Autotrader, cars.com, etc...

I was driving it home in sport mode last night on the highway and was thinking that I really had to pay attention to keep the car going straight. Then I read that the steering tightens up. That makes total sense now. :)

mikeswheels2 by shapegsx, on Flickr

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Stealth Grey was my other choice. It would have matched my Eclipse GSX...my fast car. :-P But the grey is very...flat. The Nitrous blue has a lot of sparkle in person and a ton of depth to it!

There are a lot of deals out there. I bought this one new, but I was also looking at several used ones with less than 10k mi on them! One was $32k. Another with 6500mi on it was $36k. Check Autotrader, cars.com, etc...

I was driving it home in sport mode last night on the highway and was thinking that I really had to pay attention to keep the car going straight. Then I read that the steering tightens up. That makes total sense now. :)

Not in the market for a new car just yet, but I test drive one for fun and definitely liked it. Realistically, I think the back seats won't work for my family though. They seemed pretty tight. Perhaps one day (when they are especially rare and difficult to find!)

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

That Eclipse looks in really good condition. Though its pretty rare to see one that isn't trashed.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Great to hear. I haven't had the privilege of driving one but the customer satisfaction on those seems to be very high. I do have an inquiry in with a couple of dealers on the Civic Type R but there's a very low percent chance that one would come available during my purchase window and that I would choose it over the TTRS that I liked so much.

Enjoy your Civic!

Oh you never mentioned that you were also interested on the type R.

I also wanted to get a type R...but that plan got scraped when I went to a different direction.

Oct 25, 2017
I do have an inquiry in with a couple of dealers on the Civic Type R but there's a very low percent chance that one would come available during my purchase window
The thing about the type R is that since it's more of a collectors item than a thing you can realistically own it's gonna have that mark up, not to mention most dealerships are gonna run your credit before they even let you test drive it lol.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
The thing about the type R is that since it's more of a collectors item than a thing you can realistically own it's gonna have that mark up, not to mention most dealerships are gonna run your credit before they even let you test drive it lol.

I don't think it's even that rare to have a huge markup. I think they were less integra type R produce in 4 years than the Civic Type R.

The integra type R is still my most favorite car I've own. Truly an amazing special car.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's even that rare to have a huge markup. I think they were less integra type R produce in 4 years than the Civic Type R.

The integra type R is still my most favorite car I've own. Truly an amazing special car.

I think there are only 6000 type-R civics for all of the north american region. But yeah dude that integra is crisp.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Well, the Type R wasn't really on my list until my wife asked me if I would consider any less expensive alternatives. She's on board with the new car plan but no one in her family has ever spent more than about $15k on a car so for me to be looking at the cars that I am looking at is seriously blowing her mind. She's awesome but has no understanding of enthusiast driving or why it's so important to me. My reply to her was that I would give a serious evaluation to any car that met my criteria, regardless of its price.

I think it is a very long shot, especially if I am not even allowed a test drive. I'm not a big fan of the looks although the styling has grown on me some over time and especially since I have seen a few out in the wild now. Like most sports cars, it looks better in motion and once you are driving it and "in the zone" the looks matter less anyway.

I'm fairly set on the TTRS now as that car pretty much checks all of the boxes for me in terms of performance, sound, luxury, tech, practicality and ownership cost but *if* a Type R became available and *if* I was allowed a test drive and *if* I absolutely loved it then it could happen. So in other words, probably not ;-)

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Type R is the dream. But probably not gonna happen for a few years. I keep amassing parts for my EP3 Civic anyways so that will keep me busy when I actually get to put them on.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the original Civic Type R but the revisions have all been hideous, the current one in particular looks like a hot hatch parody

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the original Civic Type R but the revisions have all been hideous, the current one in particular looks like a hot hatch parody
I think it looks appropriately ricey as is pretty much quintessential to the Civic Type R, but the weird fast/hatchback tail end makes it look like there's just too much going on at the back at once and it's emphasized.

It would look 100x better if it was just a proper hatchback or a sedan.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tbh I think the non-Si Civic sedan looks the cleanest of the current gen. The bigger fake ducts are too much on the hatch/Si. All together on the Type R it looks ridiculous enough to be OK though.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

yeah. looks alone kill any and all interest i have in this car. wouldnt mind taking one for a spink though.

I had a 2014 Focus ST for 58,000mi until I traded it in for the RS. Didn't have a single problem with it.

i have an 01 ranger with more than 200k on it and virtually no issues aside from maintenance

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like the 10 Speed Mustang GT is really the performance buy right now.
0-60 in less than 4 seconds and right at 30k.

Also it seems like no one from the old forum migrated over to this one.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the 10 Speed Mustang GT is really the performance buy right now.
0-60 in less than 4 seconds and right at 30k.

Also it seems like no one from the old forum migrated over to this one.

I've messed around with the configurator and I think the best I could do is around ~45k for a decently specced one.

So my mom was going to get rid of her 2005 dodge ram slt 5.7 v8 and I managed to get it off her before she sold it to someone else. I've been daily driving my '13 b8.5 S5 for 4 years now and god damn how I missed the sound of a good ol' v8. The exhaust is stock right now and I'm thinking of switching to a spintech 9000 to really get a kick out of the engine.